Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Tenzarin posted:

Fallout tactics is amazing.

It was my first Fallout :buddy: Shame about the robot enemies in the last stretch though, I took Bloody Mess for a reason :argh:

Has anyone heard what DRM Fallout 4 might be using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

It was my first Fallout :buddy: Shame about the robot enemies in the last stretch though, I took Bloody Mess for a reason :argh:

Has anyone heard what DRM Fallout 4 might be using?

Steam, presumably.
I can't imagine it would be too dissimilar to how Skyrim works, it feels like DRM has sort of not been so bad recently as far as I can remember.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Man I still haven't played this game. Why did it fail?

Because outside of the cool reactive elements it honestly is a pretty bad game. I like Alpha Protocol but it has absurdly bad AI, fairly bad level design, abilities that are broken in goofy ways and a really crap first leve in Saudi Arabia. If you get past that stage it becomes way better but it involves getting past a really crap level.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The kung-fu does look baller as gently caress, though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Merry Deciever posted:

Actually, I believe I read in an article that they have FINALLY REMOVED Level scaling, and are having each area have their own set levels, which would be rad, because even New Vegas had trouble with that (mostly with DLC like old world blues, but still. )

You do realize that that article specifically states there will be level scaling, right? Just that they'll have areas with minimum and maximum levels.
Bear in mind though that there was similar marketing talk leading up to FO3 and Skyrim.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Raygereio posted:

You do realize that that article specifically states there will be level scaling, right? Just that they'll have areas with minimum and maximum levels.
Bear in mind though that there was similar marketing talk leading up to FO3 and Skyrim.

Yeah, I think this is same way they've been doing things after Oblivions scaling went over so poorly. I think it's how it worked in Skyrim too. Funny to hear it sold as something new.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

jfood posted:

The kung-fu does look baller as gently caress, though.

The game is seriously great, and I love it to bits. It is also broken as all hell and really difficult to get to run properly (not to run in general, just running without serious issues). I recommend everyone give it a try and do their best to bear with it.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Merry Deciever posted:

Actually, I believe I read in an article that they have FINALLY REMOVED Level scaling, and are having each area have their own set levels, which would be rad, because even New Vegas had trouble with that (mostly with DLC like old world blues, but still. )

Isn't this bracket scaling just like NV though? I.e. this one area always has Deathclaws in it but depending on your level it'll have more/less high level ones.

Faded Mars posted:

If for some reason any of you nerds don't own some of the Fallout games/dlc/whatever Steam is having a weekend sale on the franchise.

Speaking of, I currently have the misfortune of residing in Germany, does anyone know a way to get the proper FO3 off of Steam (rather than the castrated German version which I wouldn't take for free)?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I think this is same way they've been doing things after Oblivions scaling went over so poorly. I think it's how it worked in Skyrim too. Funny to hear it sold as something new.

Skyrim was alittle different, it would lock levels of areas when you found them. So if you did alot of exploring you locked everything to like lvl 5.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

sector_corrector posted:

I would honestly prefer to get rid of speech altogether and just have perk and stat checks. Have most of the stuff that used to be speech moved to various Charisma oriented perks, or a flat check of Charisma itself. Move a lot of other checks to perks that make sense, like using your knowledge of guns to get better barter prices from someone selling junk, or your knowledge of chems to figure out someone is an addict and use that as leverage over them.
Knowledge of chems wouldn't necessarily do that, but if your character is an alcoholic or addict then they might be able to open up convo options where you can bribe with drugs, call someone out on being hooked, etc. If you've got lady/man killer, maybe you recognize that they've got herpes or something.

Also being high on certain drugs ought to allow you to hold full conversations with NPCs who might otherwise be incoherent because they're too spun out or mad.

Faded Mars posted:

If for some reason any of you nerds don't own some of the Fallout games/dlc/whatever Steam is having a weekend sale on the franchise.
yesssssss I almost bought tactics again the other night. Thanks for posting!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 22, 2015

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Tenzarin posted:

Skyrim was alittle different, it would lock levels of areas when you found them. So if you did alot of exploring you locked everything to like lvl 5.

Something I hope makes a return is big rear end monsters like the Giants in Skyrim that sorta do their own thing and don't gently caress with you if you give them a wide berth. First time I saw one I charged forward like an idiot thinking level 8 was kneecapping time.

It was not.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SovietPotatoe posted:

Speaking of, I currently have the misfortune of residing in Germany, does anyone know a way to get the proper FO3 off of Steam (rather than the castrated German version which I wouldn't take for free)?
Couldn't a non-German goon buy the uncensored FO3 as a gift for you?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

crime fighting hog posted:

Something I hope makes a return is big rear end monsters like the Giants in Skyrim that sorta do their own thing and don't gently caress with you if you give them a wide berth. First time I saw one I charged forward like an idiot thinking level 8 was kneecapping time.

It was not.

The giant super mutants made no sense at all but we most likely will see them again.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I forgot what video it was but they have already shown behemoth super mutants though it didn't look as big as the fallout 3 version

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, I'm just scared this could affect future Fallout games. You never know if one title could go bad and either "no one cared about the mobile game this year, fallout must be dead" or "we're making more money with the simple mobile game than the big game this year, why are we bothering with the big budget ones?" Hopefully, the worse it could get is tie in some app stuff like that lovely ifruit thing for GTAV, but never underestimate greedy stupidity for some of these companies in trying to find a short road to profit.

As long as it is profitable to make the AAA, they will do that also.

If FO4 flops then yeah I'd be scared we'll wait for a very long time before seeing another but otherwise just because one revenue stream is better than another doesn't mean the one not as profitable will get shut down.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

If FO4 flops then yeah I'd be scared we'll wait for a very long time before seeing another but otherwise just because one revenue stream is better than another doesn't mean the one not as profitable will get shut down.

Unless your company is named Konami

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Moridin920 posted:

I hope they didn't read reddit and fill the game with reddit bait and sayings.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Raygereio posted:

Couldn't a non-German goon buy the uncensored FO3 as a gift for you?

Assuming I knew any goons that well. I'll probably just have to buy it from Gamersgate or something, not like an $8 discount is that big of a deal anyways.

crime fighting hog posted:

It was not.

You could probably have BoS patrols with high-end guns and power armor, they generally leave you alone but if they see you toting advanced gear like energy weapons and power armor of your own they'll get mad at you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SovietPotatoe posted:

Assuming I knew any goons that well. I'll probably just have to buy it from Gamersgate or something, not like an $8 discount is that big of a deal anyways.

By that time fallout5 will be coming out and people will be hyping up because the most annoying character in fallout4 will be mentioned.

History repeats itself

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Not entirely sure how Fallout 4 could flop at this point. At its worst it'll be another Oblivion, and even that sold fairly well, didn't it?

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I hope I can name the dog Marmanuke because my fallout man loves the comics in newspapers.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

LOVE COMIC STRIPS

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

HATE MONDAYS

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I want to believe John Fallout is just Frankenstein's Monster.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lol if anyone thinks you actually play the same guy from before when the nukes drop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tenzarin posted:

Lol if anyone thinks you actually play the same guy from before when the nukes drop.

Who cares? I just want to play it (read: crash repeatedly in usual day one Bethesda release fashion).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I can't wait to alter ini-settings in order to disable the horrible awful plain loving retarded mouse acceleration myself.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

The giant super mutants made no sense at all but we most likely will see them again.

I hope that they have giant 3X scale fire hydrants on their clubs again.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tenzarin posted:

fallout bladerunner

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

sector_corrector posted:

I hope that they have giant 3X scale fire hydrants on their clubs again.

You weren't joking, I hardly remember the game other that it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. reason never to hype any game.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Magmarashi posted:

Unless your company is named Konami

PULL THE LEVER!

Yeah, #FucKonami.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Doodles posted:

PULL THE LEVER!

Yeah, #FucKonami.

mgs was over after 4, how could you even think tpp was going to add anything to the story?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
HATE WAITING.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
My video card fried itself and I just sent it off for repairs. Anyone have experience with EVGA's RMA process? I'll be rather bummed if all I can do on the 10th is play more Fallout Shelter.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:lol:

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

I'm all right with that, because I didn't preorder through Steam and I'd be a little miffed if the bonus was, y'know, something actually good.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah I don't know if that's really a bonus or a gimmick to try and promote some other crap game. Really the advantage Steam has is that you can (probably) pre-load this and play it instantly after release instead of waiting for the game to be shipped to you. It would be nice if Amazon just emailed the drat key to me and I could worry about picking up the physical stuff later but I'll probably end up waiting.

Or buying the game twice and gifting it to a friend later. Whichever my poor impulse control allows for on the day of release.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

graynull posted:

I guess I would understand more if the system people preferred (at least between the two) wasn't the exact same one minus any chance to succeed at all if they didn't meet a strict cap. I see it more as a bonus, and not as a system I have to slavishly try to exploit. Not intended to be a criticism; people play how they want. I guess it's just a matter of perspective, which is why I asked why people didn't like it in the first place.

I would prefer some more dynamic dialogue unlocks besides stat point checks. Things like people you've helped or quests you've resolved in a certain way. I was always a little annoyed (but not surprised) in NV that you couldn't reference any of the DLC or things you'd done to anyone discussing people or events that happened in them.
It's not the same, because there's no frustration from a "deserved" failing. You didn't put enough points in speech? That's on you. If you fail just because the game just decided you failed, that's hosed up.

Theoretically random failures when you have a bunch of points would be balanced by getting some "undeserved" successes randomly when you get lucky... but, this is the important part, that doesn't feel especially good. It's not thrilling or satisfying. If I actually tried at a check I was "supposed" to fail at and succeeded, I'd feel like I was cheating or something.

So the two options are "feels bad because the game fucks you over arbitrarily" if it's not in your favor, and "feels neutral because I didn't earn this" otherwise. Basically, there's no good result.

It's not failing that's the issue. It's arbitrarily failing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

boneration posted:

I'm all right with that, because I didn't preorder through Steam and I'd be a little miffed if the bonus was, y'know, something actually good.

Don't those things normally sell for $10 +?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Eiba posted:

It's not the same, because there's no frustration from a "deserved" failing. You didn't put enough points in speech? That's on you. If you fail just because the game just decided you failed, that's hosed up.

Theoretically random failures when you have a bunch of points would be balanced by getting some "undeserved" successes randomly when you get lucky... but, this is the important part, that doesn't feel especially good. It's not thrilling or satisfying. If I actually tried at a check I was "supposed" to fail at and succeeded, I'd feel like I was cheating or something.

So the two options are "feels bad because the game fucks you over arbitrarily" if it's not in your favor, and "feels neutral because I didn't earn this" otherwise. Basically, there's no good result.

It's not failing that's the issue. It's arbitrarily failing.

I'm wondering how checks are going to work now. Only real options are either based off perks, perk ranks or base special stats now. Hope they do something interesting like having some checks centered around optional quest objectives.

• Locked thread