Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Obama has vetoed the FY16 NDAA, returning it to congress and saying "Let's do this right"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also as we prepare for Hillary eating Trey Gowdy alive, Newsweek (of all places) has one of the most comprehensive looks at this shameful debacle: http://www.newsweek.com/benghazi-biopsy-comprehensive-guide-one-americas-worst-political-outrages-385853

A few pages back, but does anyone have a non-paywall link to this?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Trump pulled the "I got hacked" card? That actually kind of disappoints me. I expected more.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hope Hillary Clinton nominates Sydney Blumenthal to Sec Def or some other cabinet position when she wins.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

From a few pages back, but I don't quite understand the rationale for this. Those notes won't mature for years, so they're really the least of our worries if we hit the debt ceiling. Isn't the real threat the bonds that were issued a long time ago and mature on Nov 3/4? Those are a done deal. This move will cost the country millions in lost revenue and market panic. Issuing these bonds doesn't cost money, so why cancel the sale? What am I missing here?

I think the concern is that if they did all 3 sales they would go over the debt limit in the process of executing those sale, which would be a huge legal mess and is the kind of poo poo that actually scares global creditors.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mcmagic posted:

I hope Hillary Clinton appoints Sydney Blumenthal Sec Def or some other cabinet position when she wins.

That's a really, really bad idea.

But Press Secretary Blumenthal would be loving hilarious.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

STAC Goat posted:

Trump pulled the "I got hacked" card? That actually kind of disappoints me. I expected more.

I can believe it, since it was an actual retweet and not a copy/paste in quotes.

Heck, the wording makes it sound like that's what the apology's for--that the intern "did a Retweet" instead of using the, uh, house style.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

It's no worse than any of the other pretty awful people the Clintons pal around with. In fact it's probably better.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mcmagic posted:

I hope Hillary Clinton nominates Sydney Blumenthal to Sec Def or some other cabinet position when she wins.

Chief of staff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A Bag of Milk posted:

From a few pages back, but I don't quite understand the rationale for this. Those notes won't mature for years, so they're really the least of our worries if we hit the debt ceiling. Isn't the real threat the bonds that were issued a long time ago and mature on Nov 3/4? Those are a done deal. This move will cost the country millions in lost revenue and market panic. Issuing these bonds doesn't cost money, so why cancel the sale? What am I missing here?

That's not exactly how bonds work. They do have a face value that is redeemable after whatever period the bond is issued, but they also come with interest payments that get paid out periodically before the actual maturity date. When they speak of a default, it isn't that we won't be paying back the bonds when people are trying to redeem them. Its that we can't make the regular interest payments.

As it is right now, US T-bills are considered zero risk. Huge portions of the market rely on that. A single default changes things, risk is introduced, and it's will have ripple effects throughout the world.

The rational of suspending the two year notes at auction right now is suspending everything would have a major and immediate impact. The two year notes are the ones they're able to scuttle without dramatic market movement.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Chief of staff.

Please, its going to be Abedin obviously.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Hypothetically (:bernin:), what would a HRC cabinet look like?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Please, its going to be Abedin obviously.

Actually I'm not sure Abedin would be a good COS. She will almost certainly be some sort of special advisor, ala Axelrod, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It amazes me to watch the train of GOP guys trying to engage with Trump and getting wrecked. They should really have learned from Obama how you deal with The Donald. Whatever he says, you just laugh and go 'Yeah, whatever, Donny.'

Treat the man like a joke, because he is. Trying to take him seriously or attack him on his level just gets you wrecked like Jeb!.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

Blumenthal is a mediocrity who's managed to hang on in Washington by virtue of his association with the Clintons. If Hillary takes the presidency, he's a prime candidate for what Dr. Dre calls "Posse Contraction".

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

this_is_hard posted:

Bill as first pimp obviously.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Blumenthal is a mediocrity who's managed to hang on in Washington by virtue of his association with the Clintons. If Hillary takes the presidency, he's a prime candidate for what Dr. Dre calls "Posse Contraction".

This is true of SO MANY people and will probably be true of the pool of candidates for jobs in the Hillary Clinton administration.... At least his son is a good guy and he drives republicans nuts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

this_is_hard posted:

Mark Penn will make an appearance somewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

As I understand it from today's line of questioning, he's actually the mastermind behind the administrations foreign policy and the True Power in America.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Is Lanny Davis still busy representing cannibalistic third-world warlords at the moment?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Imagine the heads exploding when Hillary makes Blumenthal her Foreign Secretary.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
BBC is having fun in their Benghazi Q&A.

quote:

Isn't this the sixth congressional committee to investigate her? Didn't the first five find nothing against her?

This is the eighth congressional investigation.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Is Lanny Davis still busy representing cannibalistic third-world warlords at the moment?

No, he's actually spent the last year showing up at these Benghazi hearings and handing out pamphlets in the hallway about how great Hillary is. I bet he's there today.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Night10194 posted:

It amazes me to watch the train of GOP guys trying to engage with Trump and getting wrecked. They should really have learned from Obama how you deal with The Donald. Whatever he says, you just laugh and go 'Yeah, whatever, Donny.'

Treat the man like a joke, because he is. Trying to take him seriously or attack him on his level just gets you wrecked like Jeb!.

The most hilarious thing about all this is it shows how huge the egos involved are. The obvious move is to just ignore Trump and try to appear above the fray. But absolutely no one can let even the slightest brush to their ego go. It's incredible.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joementum posted:

I don't know, I don't think you could top appointing him Ambassador to Libya.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Spite posted:

The most hilarious thing about all this is it shows how huge the egos involved are. The obvious move is to just ignore Trump and try to appear above the fray. But absolutely no one can let even the slightest brush to their ego go. It's incredible.

They can't ignore Trump and try to act superior. That isn't what GOP primary voters want at all. They want someone who appears tough and isn't scared to poo poo on people in public because that matters to them MUCH more than policy which they don't care at all about.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

Jeb! tried ignoring Trump at first. Now he's sitting at 5% in the polls.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Fried Chicken posted:

Obama has vetoed the FY16 NDAA, returning it to congress and saying "Let's do this right"

huh. interesting. does this mean the defense budget is now on the table during the spending bill debates?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And you just know Larry Summers would be hanging around hoping for a job too

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unless posted:

huh. interesting. does this mean the defense budget is now on the table during the spending bill debates?

Yes. Republicans want to bust the sequester cap for defense but not domestic. Democrats want to do both. They won't pass the defense bill above the sequester cap without domestic above the sequester cap as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't know, does working for Dan Snyder count?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa Chris Christie is psychic

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's not exactly how bonds work. They do have a face value that is redeemable after whatever period the bond is issued, but they also come with interest payments that get paid out periodically before the actual maturity date. When they speak of a default, it isn't that we won't be paying back the bonds when people are trying to redeem them. Its that we can't make the regular interest payments.

As it is right now, US T-bills are considered zero risk. Huge portions of the market rely on that. A single default changes things, risk is introduced, and it's will have ripple effects throughout the world.

The rational of suspending the two year notes at auction right now is suspending everything would have a major and immediate impact. The two year notes are the ones they're able to scuttle without dramatic market movement.

Thanks, this cleared it up for me.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

evilweasel posted:

Yes. Republicans want to bust the sequester cap for defense but not domestic. Democrats want to do both. They won't pass the defense bill above the sequester cap without domestic above the sequester cap as well.

it's about loving time. gj democrats.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

zoux posted:

Professional dipshit Jennifer Rubin has a new dark horse candidate that she thinks is poised to make gains.

Never seen a black Clydesdale before.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know, does working for Dan Snyder count?

Calling PG County "third world" is a little harsh.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unless posted:

it's about loving time. gj democrats.

They've done this once before already. They've been very firm on not giving away the defense sequester without the domestic sequester.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

For reference, this is the bill that adhered to sequestration caps, but used some slight of hand to increase military funding by $38b by putting it in the overseas contingency budget which is not constrained by sequestration.

It also blocks Obama from closing Guantanamo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Whoa Chris Christie is psychic

I'm shocked, shocked to find coordination between a campaign and a super PAC is going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I'm shocked, shocked to find coordination between a campaign and a super PAC is going on here.

Sorry, it was a shadowy palm reader in a dank Newark back alley that imparted that information to him.

• Locked thread