Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crion posted:

lot going on with this font

Guess who just got the Quake font

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

quote:

Solar Charms aren’t necessarily a known commodity in the world of Exalted. It may be that they don’t exist.

quote:

Simply put, we talk about Charms as power and magic and techniques, but it may be that the Solars are unaware of such codifications.

quote:

Charms are a way of describing the Solar’s capacity for mythic feats and incredible actions, but they only exist as a codification to help describe the Solars themselves.

Eh? Some consistency would be nice.

Some other random things that caught my eye:
- Divine Mantle in Integrity. Spirit Charms for everyone!
- That Goddamn "You tell me" sidebar still existing in Linguistics. What the hell?
- Unstoppable Magnus Approach still having exactly the same stupid with a sidebar telling you not to do the thing the Charm exists for.
- Neat art on page 430.
- Best Exalt on page 633.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Thunderclap Rush Attack is explicitly cross-compatible with other combat abilities now, which is new. On the other hand I still have no idea if killing your attacker with Solar Counterattack saves you from taking damage or not.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Roadie posted:

Eh? Some consistency would be nice.

Some other random things that caught my eye:
- Divine Mantle in Integrity. Spirit Charms for everyone!
- That Goddamn "You tell me" sidebar still existing in Linguistics. What the hell?
- Unstoppable Magnus Approach still having exactly the same stupid with a sidebar telling you not to do the thing the Charm exists for.
- Neat art on page 430.
- Best Exalt on page 633.

Those descriptions aren't inconsistent.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

zeal posted:

i really hope turquoise hair there isn't supposed to have Lunar tattoos

I think it's supposed to be this picture from Masters of Jade in which a Lunar devours 30 or so cakes to prevent a Solar from selling them to the Guild.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Heavy download volume huh? The suspence is killing me. Haven't I toiled in hell long enough???

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Eclectic Verbiage of Law still, inexplicably, exists.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
There is a new Integrity Charm, Soul-Nourishing Technique, that costs 4m 1wp as an Essence 2 charm. It lets you give an hour long sermon or speech about one of your defining principles and, at the end, everyone who heard you is aware you have that principle. Like... that's... that's not a charm. That's literally telling people one of your intimacies. It doesn't help you persuade them, or enforce it on them, it just makes them aware you have it. "Thanks, dude who gave an hour long speech about how Lookshy Is Awesome. Due to your amazing cosmic power, I know realize that you think Lookshy Is Awesome. I respectfully disagree, but whatever"

There's a line about how the sermon feeds them like a meal and hydrates them like water. Is that fluff or mechanics? I'm not sure, but still.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

Those descriptions aren't inconsistent.

Reading them as consistent also means reading them as the developers wasting three paragraphs to tell you that they're not going to bother actually telling you anything about if people in-setting are aware of Charms-as-techniques or not.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

There is a new Integrity Charm, Soul-Nourishing Technique, that costs 4m 1wp as an Essence 2 charm. It lets you give an hour long sermon or speech about one of your defining principles and, at the end, everyone who heard you is aware you have that principle. Like... that's... that's not a charm. That's literally telling people one of your intimacies. It doesn't help you persuade them, or enforce it on them, it just makes them aware you have it. "Thanks, dude who gave an hour long speech about how Lookshy Is Awesome. Due to your amazing cosmic power, I know realize that you think Lookshy Is Awesome. I respectfully disagree, but whatever"

There's a line about how the sermon feeds them like a meal and hydrates them like water. Is that fluff or mechanics? I'm not sure, but still.

That looks pretty straightforward to me -- the charm is called soul-nourishing, the effect is that anyone who listens to the solar talk for an hour gets the effect of a full meal and a hot shower. The bit about conveying the existence of the intimacy is a very minor potential downside; the solar has to talk about a thing they care about and can't fake caring about it, so you can't use the charm while propagandizing for views you don't really hold. A Good Charm.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Kaza42 posted:

Not sure if this is supposed to be a Jesus charm or a John Galt charm.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

SunAndSpring posted:

I think it's supposed to be this picture from Masters of Jade in which a Lunar devours 30 or so cakes

And that's terrible.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

Charm text is always mechanics, unless it's not.

To tell the difference between the two categories, I suggest tarot cards.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Not sure if this is supposed to be a Jesus charm or a John Galt charm.

if it were a John Galt charm you'd need way more than an hour to put it into effect

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

zeal posted:

if it were a John Galt charm you'd need way more than an hour to put it into effect

If it were a John Galt charm it would accelerate starvation and death unless the listener is another Solar

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Esser-Z posted:

This looks straight from deviantart.

There's a surprising amount of poser art although most of it isn't quite as garbage as that is.

Note that 'not as garbage' doesn't translate into 'good'.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Hmm, I think one of the pieces of art from the 3D Render Artist plagiarized some art. Some of it looks like it was ripped off from Chivalry: Medieval Warfare promotional art. I hope those are just placeholders, because if they aren't, wow that's lovely.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
It's amazing how rushed and slapdash this objectively late and overworked product feels.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

SunAndSpring posted:

Hmm, I think one of the pieces of art from the 3D Render Artist plagiarized some art. Some of it looks like it was ripped off from Chivalry: Medieval Warfare promotional art. I hope those are just placeholders, because if they aren't, wow that's lovely.

Got links for the sources?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

RPZip posted:

Indeed. Nothing here is placeholder, so if you've found plagiarized art, raise that issue up ASAP.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

RPZip posted:

The art in question:

and a banner for Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Compare to the bottom left.

I also think the one on the right is from some Crusader era map game.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
That's pretty compelling evidence.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

SunAndSpring posted:

The art in question:

Oooooh my God.

I think the top right is CK2 art too, but I can't be sure.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

The art in question:

Yeah, that's a clear trace. I'm pretty sure I've seen the top and middle right from somewhere too, but they could also just be pretty generic looking.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

SunAndSpring posted:

The art in question:

Ahahahahaha

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
What I want to know is who the hell decided to leave the chapter break fiction accompanying that piece in the book.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

What I want to know is who the hell decided to leave the chapter break fiction accompanying that piece in the book.

When the art's stolen, are you really gonna bother rewriting the chapter fiction?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd post this on RPG.net but I'm too lazy to make an account and I dislike the forum anyway.

lmfao, top right is literally first page result in Google image search for "medieval fantasy battles"

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 22, 2015

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Anyone have a list of all the added charms?

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd post this on RPG.net but I'm too lazy to make an account and I dislike the forum anyway.

Someone already did.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Someone already did.

That's good. gently caress that artist for doing that.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Not as offensive as the Hunter: The Vigil -> Devil May Cry plagiarism, but still lol.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

SunAndSpring posted:

lmfao, top right is literally first page result in Google image search for "medieval fantasy battles"

Maybe Chejop's just using GIS.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Bosushi! posted:

Not as offensive as the Hunter: The Vigil -> Devil May Cry plagiarism, but still lol.

The Devil May Cry tracing was just offensive, in that the artist might have expected that nobody making the book would have seen the art that was traced, but they couldn't possibly have expected that nobody reading the book would have.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Attorney at Funk posted:

Maybe Chejop's just using GIS.

That's basically how Efficient Secretary Technique works, yeah.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Roadie posted:

My first impression: It's pretty, but given the length of time this has been stewing, I'm unimpressed when I look in the Table of Contents and see obvious typos ("SnakeStyle", "Sorcerous Workings4") and missing entries (where's Archery?) literally within 10 seconds of opening the PDF.

Also, the character sheet provided in the book remains as useless as the 2e version.

For how much time they spent on this thing they didn't seem to actually read their text, the table of contents is next to useless and there are obvious typos and other editing errors ("Energy Restoration Prana can only be used once per day. action.")

On the plus side, I actually want to make a Supernal Integrity character now!

SunAndSpring posted:

The art in question:

:laffo: guess this and the Poser stuff is what happens when you hire from deviantART

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Echo Cian posted:

For how much time they spent on this thing they didn't seem to actually read their text, the table of contents is next to useless and there are obvious typos and other editing errors ("Energy Restoration Prana can only be used once per day. action.")

I've done editing work before. It is incredible and humiliating the sort of stuff you stop seeing after you've gone over a text two or three times. But hey, that's why this is a pre-release document, right? I mean, this is literally why it's sent out a bit early. You can report these errors and they'll get fixed.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I've done editing work before. It is incredible and humiliating the sort of stuff you stop seeing after you've gone over a text two or three times. But hey, that's why this is a pre-release document, right? I mean, this is literally why it's sent out a bit early. You can report these errors and they'll get fixed.

Yeah, I've made huge editing mistakes on seven page report, I'm honestly not surprised that there are editing fuckups in a seven hundred page RPG manual.

Screwing up the index, though, is some next level poo poo.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Chejop Kejak's Essence is so high that he's managed to find the one place in all of Creation that features medieval knights and castles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Ferrinus posted:

Chejop Kejak's Essence is so high that he's managed to find the one place in all of Creation that features medieval knights and castles.

Not the only place - the Abyssals prestige spread looks :darksouls: as gently caress.

• Locked thread