Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

For an XJ you can lock it up pretty cheaply as noted. I've got a pretty good/cheap setup right now, auto locker in the front ($200 or so) and a stock LSD in the rear (I have a 29 spline chrysler 8.25 so I pillaged one from a late 8.25 equipped Dakota/Durango and bolted it right in, then readjusted my carrier backlash/preload back into spec and moved on with my life. Total cost $50 or so at the junkyard.)

What front locker are you running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
An aussie locker I got for $180 used. Been happy with it so far, and then Aussie became Lokka and 27 spline dana 30 Lokkas are $198 brand new: http://lokka.com/site/buy/item/6978/US

I'll buy one again if this one wears out.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Astonishing Wang posted:

That is a lot of stingers.

Am I the only person that isn't a fan of the big "heil-hitler" style stingers? They can screw up your departure angle, for one. That's not even the worst part. There are a couple in that photo that either aren't tall enough or built solidly enough to serve their main purpose: protecting your hood/radiator/intake (the stuff that is right under the hood) in a rollover. Can you really just slap a loop on there and not gussett it, then expect it to take that kind of load? For road driven vehicles, you are throwing a nice big chunk of metal on the front of your jeep that is just waiting to smash a person's skull in. Why don't they just go straight up, close to the grill?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
JK owners don't care, they just pick whatever's cheap out of Quadratec and slap it on there, even if it's Shittybilt -- of which there are 3 in that pic.

Pay ~$40K for a 4 door JK Rubicon and then turn around and buy the cheapest Chinese poo poo for armor. :pcgaming:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

EightBit posted:

For road driven vehicles, you are throwing a nice big chunk of metal on the front of your jeep that is just waiting to smash a person's skull in. Why don't they just go straight up, close to the grill?

It's intentionally phallic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They're just bro-jeep accessories at this point.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

They're just bro-jeep accessories at this point.

But what if i almost endo?!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Ozmiander posted:

I actually saw one of these save a guy from endoing a jeep XJ in Moab. He went to flip, came down on the stinger and went back down on his wheels. Still ugly but I was pretty impressed (that the guy didn't poo poo his pants)

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Ozmiander posted:

Wait- do they make stingers for lawn tractors?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I didn't mean to start stinger chat again, sorry about that. I just thought it was funny how the shot was lined up and everyone there that day had a stinger. I still haven't made my front bumper because I can't decide if I want a bull-bar/grille protection or not, and how much I want it to stick out like a donkey dick. It will definitely stick out past the bumper in case I want to nudge my buddy's truck when I'm behind him.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
After sitting for 2 years its time to get humpty dumpty back together again.

I really wanted to drop in a 4 BT in the truck and tune it to near OEM power levels, but I'm stuck out of country for the last year, so I'm paying someone else to get everything back in order with a new 6500 optimzier engine.

Can't wait to get my rear end back to California so I can start wheeling again.

Heading to SEMA in Vegas for a day or two, going to look at some suppliers, really seriously thinking of ditching film work and going into parts aftermarket.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you tried wheeling in Canada yet ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/30354823/local-man-stuck-with-48000-towing-bill

48,000 tow bill lol

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

Someone explain to me how this isn't just some shovels, planks of woods and a winch? Or is the answer, as I suspect, purely "because we can force account charge you for everything and you don't get to say no, so we're bringing stupid crap we don't ever need and charging obscene rates for it" ?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Aureus posted:

Someone explain to me how this isn't just some shovels, planks of woods and a winch? Or is the answer, as I suspect, purely "because we can force account charge you for everything and you don't get to say no, so we're bringing stupid crap we don't ever need and charging obscene rates for it" ?

Mud loving sucks. several years ago it took a ex mil deuce and a half 4 hours with his hydraulic winch to pull a rangie classic out of mud.....up to the doors, and the waterline at the top of the fenders.

but that towbill. Congrats on the towyards purchase of a old jeep!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It almost seems as if the tow company was hoping that the guys insurance would pay for the tow bill... And made up some bogus rates accordingly. Forgetting that insurance is almost always null and void when a crime has been committed (such as trespassing)

1000/hr for a Supervisor ? LoL

jonathan fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 27, 2015

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
You can rent multiple ~100 tonne cranes for that rate. If you could get it done in a 4 hour call-out it would've been ~1/10 the cost (assuming you could reach :v:).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That bullshit is all over all of my local facebook 4x4 groups since it happened in my state.

1. Guy was a loving retard and 4x4ing illegally on private land without permission.
2. Guy was a loving retard and doing so alone without proper recovery gear.
3. Tow company turns out to be a bit scummy. They definitely cranked the bill up using every excuse in the book. However, apparently there was a large chunk of a tree jammed between the axle and chassis underwater and they broke some cables and equipment trying to drag his POS XJ out. There are rumors flying that the tow company guys were out there illegally on quads too, saw the stuck jeep, and called it into the police so they'd get the recovery since they are listed as the offroad recovery company for that area. My bet is that they scout the area regularly on quads looking for cash cow stuck shitboxes, call them in, get the tow money, repeat as needed.

There are MANY ways this could have been prevented.

So basically no one involved is intelligent or upstanding in any way and the retards have come out of the woodwork justifying illegal wheeling, trolling the idiot jeep owner, trolling the towing company, and just bitching up a storm in general. It's a shitshow.

e: he posted on a few local groups looking for help recovering it sometime in the last few weeks, IIRC. The usual "help I'm stuck where I'm not supposed to be, I'm in Walpole on some trail I can't identify or figure out how to give GPS coords for, halp halp halp I'm retarded" post followed by poo poo talking, illiterates, offers of help that go unanswered or unfulfilled, etc.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 27, 2015

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

My bet is that they scout the area regularly on quads looking for cash cow stuck shitboxes, call them in, get the tow money, repeat as needed.

I'm in the wrong business.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Timmy Cruise posted:

You can rent multiple ~100 tonne cranes for that rate. If you could get it done in a 4 hour call-out it would've been ~1/10 the cost (assuming you could reach :v:).
I could have taken a week off of work, driven across country, pulled him out (broken and upgraded basically everything on my 4x4 in the course of doing so), and bought a newer jeep for less than that rate.

That's a pretty definite sign of a ripoff.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh they most definitely went over the top with it. They claim it was a hazard because of the power lines and stuff. Basically they stretched the definition of every extra fee they could tack on and went for as much money as they could.

Company is scummy as gently caress for sure.

HOWEVER. The guy is also a god drat retard and went wheeling illegally, alone, in a shitbox rotted out XJ (which he claims wasn't a rotted shitbox... I know one when I see one, as the past owner of several) with zero recovery gear.

Everyone involved on both sides is loving stupid and zero lessons will be learned from this on either side.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Would a responsible company stop at some point and say "No, it would be cheaper if you just bought a new one."?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Would a responsible company stop at some point and say "No, it would be cheaper if you just bought a new one."?

It was a police tow, they don't care. Also I'm pretty sure they just pulled till it either ripped in half (what happened) or came out.

Neither party is smart enough to shut the gently caress up and hire a lawyer, both are talking to the news and throwing mud. The guy claims to be ASE certified, went to UTI, and can't figure out not to lawn-dart his almost stock rotbox XJ into a deep rear end mudhole on private property. He also claims it's totally not a rotbox and wasn't a hosed up POS... looking at it, the places he claims they "broke his frame" are all known rust problem spots on XJs, so even if they hadn't been retards recovering it, it was on its last legs.

I'm not defending either side, they both deserve what they have coming. Allegedly AAA is reconsidering its association with the towing company.

The amount of bullshit being thrown by both sides is amazing, I don't even know what allegations are true and I'm just looking at the POS XJ at this point because rust doesn't lie.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Oooh poo poo son, check out that orange...

My R&P and hubs are the only things that should possibly break now. Hopefully just hubs, since they are warrantied and easy to change.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:eyepop:

Very nice. I see high steer on there, too...

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Yarp. Good ol' waggy dana 44 w/ the OX, 5.38's, and just got the RCV's done with all new fresh bearings, seals, & balljoints. BTW my D ring shackles are only like 3", they aren't as gently caress off retarded huge as they look

Can't wait to see how the 37's do here pretty soon.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

jonathan posted:

Have you tried wheeling in Canada yet ?

The window for bringing my truck to Canada has passed unfortunately. As of right now I would need to import it, and its not worth dropping $3000 worth of import fees/taxes or whatever RIV charges to have the truck up here for 3 months. It'll sit down in LA for the moment.

I'm still bummed about the timing of everything. If I wasn't stuck in Canada on a work contract I would be putting a cummins 4BT turbo swap in the truck, but timing was critical for me to get the truck running again since my friend at the shop may be switching jobs, and he's one of two dudes I'd trust with working on my truck when I'm not around.

That being said I was planning on possibly doing a big territories run next year, drive up to BC -> Yukon -> Alaska and take the ferry back to the West coast.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

That tow stuff sounds insane.

The thing I'm getting from the local 4x4 clubs take is the tow company is known for pulling this stunt and they go out wheeling in the same areas for "police tows"

Which is interesting, I found that police departments sometimes do things a bit different in California.

We had the BLM contact our off road club to pull out some dork in an H3 who went way off the trail, went up a bicycle route, then slid the truck down a 400 ft ravine and hit the on star button. This was in the Santa Clarita area :v:

Guy got hauled out by helicopter even though he could have walked an hour back to town. He got fined $2000 and was basically told that a full vehicle extraction could run him $20-25,000 or he could pay $500 or so for a local off road club to show up and pull the vehicle out.

We did some local volunteer/search and rescue stuff with area park/blm folks before so they called us, and for $500, a bunch of us went over with H1's with winches and winched him up and he drove back home.

I know in other parts like around Big Bear in the mountains there's no shortage of off road clubs that will show up to haul out an old abandoned car or whatever. :haw:

On the other hand, at Pismo Beach I stay away from extractions. Guys who get stuck with vehicles that have no business being off road, and the last thing you want to do is rip a bumper off some guys bmw when the tide is rolling in. There's a reason there's a specialized tow company with a monster truck that runs that beach that charges $400 per extraction.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 1, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Big K of Justice posted:

On the other hand, at Pismo Beach I stay away from extractions. Guys who get stuck with vehicles that have no business being off road, and the last thing you want to do is rip a bumper off some guys bmw when the tide is rolling in. There's a reason there's a specialized tow company with a monster truck that runs that beach that charges $400 per extraction.

On my honeymoon, my wife and I wound up on Pismo Beach by accident at like 10 PM on Christmas Eve in a rented Mustang. I'm lucky I figured out what was going on before I drove on anything too soft.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 2, 2015

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I just bought a 1997 4runner, 2.7l manual 4wd, 212k miles, in venice beach. I live in Utah and flew out to buy it yesterday, then drove it back today.

There's some light bondo work on one of the doors but it all still seals and more importantly it's a california truck which means no fuckin rust whatsoever. I'll be primarily using it as a ski truck but I'm hoping to get some 4x4 action in too. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

It runs pretty drat well. Not a single hiccup on the drive back. Needs new tires (winters for now) and an inner cv boot (joint?) but other than that it's remarkably solid. The guy told me he'd never cleaned the engine bay, yet it looks pristine. Amazing. It somehow feels like they took a camry and turned it into an SUV.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nice. Is it the limited or whatever trim package has the factory rear locker?

If not, I bet you can scrap yard one without too much trouble.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Nope, its basically base though its got electric windows and 16 inch rims with the bigger brakes (and the po just put brand new rotors on which is nice.)

I figure I'll hit the junkyard soon as I need a new drivers seat too. Can't be too hard to find a locker as most of them came with them and they are so common out here. I'm assuming the rear axle is shared with the Tacoma too.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

On my honeymoon, my wife and I wound up on Pismo Beach by accident at like 10 PM on Christmas Eve in a rented Mustang. I'm lucky I figured out what was going on before I drove on anything too soft.

You did everything right, you did pismo in a rental :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9wbmrxddRo

That tow truck is keeping busy.. another day at pismo.

I do fresh water no problem, but salt water? No way.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 3, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm clueless and naive - I know salt water will corrode your poo poo to hell and back, but would a decent freshwater rinse-off after a sea-dunking be a reasonable way to prevent that?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

ExecuDork posted:

I'm clueless and naive - I know salt water will corrode your poo poo to hell and back, but would a decent freshwater rinse-off after a sea-dunking be a reasonable way to prevent that?

A rinse-off won't clean out a sea-dunked car.... When you submerge a car in water like that salt gets into all the little places you don't want salt... In the rocker panel drains, in suspension parts, into the threads of bolts and nuts, in your brakes, all over the exhaust, etc, etc. It's hard to get all that salt out.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
You'd have to find a freshwater place to dunk the car into afterwards pretty much.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's one of the many reasons that I staunchly never let anyone else drive my jeep on the beach. So many people have asked what it's like to drive in the surf. I tell them to :frogout:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wheeling in Alberta
https://youtu.be/2sDpX9lj5a4

They talk funny because alcohol

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://youtu.be/Lq9NHCvOiZw

Here is another from the same dudes. It's easy to get laid out here because all you need is a clean shirt to make the girls think you're classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Oh god.

Although I ran into my share of nutjobs wheeling everywhere. Eventually you find a group of guys that's cool to wheel with. And sometimes you get guys who.. aren't compatible.

I remember one time we had a friend of a friend show up, great guy at first, had a nice old unimog, a bit too many anti obama poo poo on the back but whatever. Well, we went on the trails, and the guys throttle control was basically an on/off switch and he just started driving everywhere/tearing poo poo up.

We were like "Guy, you're going off the trail and messing things up". He basically referred to all that stuff as "hippie human being bullshit". Then we pointed out the sponsors of the trail on the BLM sign. Our club.

Yeah that guy never got an invite back. :jerkbag:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 16, 2015