Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ubisoft should put a dev team together to make an entire game around the ship stuff from Black Flag but without the Assassin's Creed stuff dragging it down, because man was that ship fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ubisoft should put a dev team together to make an entire game around the ship stuff from Black Flag but without the Assassin's Creed stuff dragging it down, because man was that ship fun
Just play Sid Meier's Pirates

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd love a Sid Meier's Pirates! with Black Flag-ish sailing and combat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I'd love a Sid Meier's Pirates! with Black Flag-ish sailing and combat.

this is basically what I want them to make

tho I'd only want the ship combat from Black Flag

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I didn't mind the assassin stuff in black flag. I only hated the eavesdropping missions. If the game had better stealth, it would be perfect in my book.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

Black Flag was partially fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

this is basically what I want them to make

tho I'd only want the ship combat from Black Flag

a sailing combat game without wind direction is a toilet bowl flushing simulator.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Assassins Creed is alright. Gamefly'd Syndicate.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

a sailing combat game without wind direction is a toilet bowl flushing simulator.

we're not talking about your posts though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

Why the gently caress would you buy an Assassin's Creed game in 2015 jesus

Why not lol its a computer game they're all poo poo lmao.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can someone point me in the direction of an hdmi switch that would work with: ps4, ps3, AND bone? I'd like to get a powered one, as I haven't had luck with passive or hdmi powered switches... I know they exist, there are just so many different options it's overwhelming

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i got a fax saying the reviews scores for an assassins creed game are good and oh poo poo, my beepers going off

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

we're not talking about your posts though

:iceburn:

Black Flag was great and there was a very positive reception toward it, so I hope the studio that made it (different AC games are made by different teams on a rotating release schedule, right?) has been working on a game with similar mechanics for an eventual 2016 release.

edit: never mind, it looks like they all kind of pitch in together. Hopefully a game like Black Flag is in the works, though.

the truth fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 22, 2015

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can someone point me in the direction of an hdmi switch that would work with: ps4, ps3, AND bone? I'd like to get a powered one, as I haven't had luck with passive or hdmi powered switches... I know they exist, there are just so many different options it's overwhelming

Yeah the PS4 is picky with switches, I bought a cheap passive one and it worked with the PS3 and DirectTV box but not with the PS4.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

Just play Sid Meier's Pirates

Speaking of games that badly need a sequel...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is the PS4 region-locked, or region free? I’ve done a little looking online and have found some conflicting information, so hopefully you guys can provide me with some solid facts. I have an American system and there are a few japanese games I'm thinking of importing / buying on jp PSN.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

El Hefe posted:

Yeah the PS4 is picky with switches, I bought a cheap passive one and it worked with the PS3 and DirectTV box but not with the PS4.

Balls... that's what I ran into as well :( I HEAR powered ones work better, all the drat passive ones wouldn't work with the ps4 though..

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is the PS4 region-locked, or region free? I’ve done a little looking online and have found some conflicting information, so hopefully you guys can provide me with some solid facts. I have an American system and there are a few japanese games I'm thinking of importing / buying on jp PSN.

You can play them fine, bearing in mind that DLC will have to go through your JP account, and that X and O could end up getting mixed around because the defaults are different.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even my dumb manual powered switch doesn't play nice with the PS4 with HDCP on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

univbee posted:

You can play them fine, bearing in mind that DLC will have to go through your JP account, and that X and O could end up getting mixed around because the defaults are different.

Perfect, thanks for the info! I’ve bought DLC for imported games on my jp PSN account before on my PS3, so I'm used to that, and glad it's the same on PS4.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

I picked this up

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...e49db3042dden02

and it's worked for me, only crappy thing is that I have to cycle through the ports when I turn my cable on if it was already on the cable input. I have ps3, ps4, cable box and occasionally my laptop and it's never failed me.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Aphrodite posted:

Even my dumb manual powered switch doesn't play nice with the PS4 with HDCP on.

You know I completely forgot about the hdcp.. you would think I WOULDNT have, since I have an elgato that also needs to have hdcp off. Gonna try this when I get home

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Balls... that's what I ran into as well :( I HEAR powered ones work better, all the drat passive ones wouldn't work with the ps4 though..

I have a passive NEET 3-in HDMI switch and it works fine with a PS4, Wii U and PC with DHCP on.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Best thing about new Asscreed is the soundtrack by Austin Wintory and Tripod. Amazing murder ballads.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched the Giant Bomb quick look for Syndicate earlier and it actually looked better than Unity, but the only way I'll ever play it is by renting it, either through restarting my GameFly for it or Redboxing it and powering through it in a weekend or something.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ubisoft saw the positive reception to the sailing that it got and did announce they're working on a new IP involving sailing or pirates or something. They haven't mentioned anything about it since, so if it's still on track, you can bet they'll show it off at E3 2016.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've played both games called Syndicate and they had absolutely nothing to do with Assassins Creed Syndicate. gently caress people who talk about games in ambiguous terms in the dick hole.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

You know I completely forgot about the hdcp.. you would think I WOULDNT have, since I have an elgato that also needs to have hdcp off. Gonna try this when I get home

I use this Monoprice HDMI Switch on a PS4, PS3, Wii U and a XRGB mini Framemeister. Works great. The key thing is to turn off Deep Color on the PS3/4, that fucks with a lot of switches when it comes to PlayStations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

I use this switch from Monoprice but it's just a 2x1, works well with PS3 and PS4 though and it's passive. There's a 3x1 version by the same company that might work though.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

the truth posted:

That is kind of funny given how frequently you have to push square in an AC game.

:perfect:

I'm the huge sucker who bought AC: Unity (for cheap) to get my fix in because I thought Syndicate wasn't dropping until November. I feel like buying it on launch day is the worst play possible, better to wait a month or three until they've worked out the really bad day-1 issues, and also save a bunch of money.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Manatee Cannon posted:

Black Flag was really good

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/PORTTA-PET030...rds=hdmi+switch

It was cheap as hell and I have all 3 of those things hooked up to it (with a 5v adapter) and it works 100% fine

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I've had my PS4 for about a month and a half. It came with Arkham Knight, which I liked. What should I play next? Will I like God of War or Shadows of Mordor? I have basically zero console gaming experience so it's all new to me. I hate sports games and first person shooters. I've mostly been a PC strategy and RPG gamer, but I wouldn't want to play either of those genres on a console.

I got a console so I could play games with my 10 year old daughter, and just for that it's already earning its keep. We've played Lego Jurassic World and liked it; Little Big Planet which we were both kind of meh about; Rayman Legends which we loved; and Tiny Brains which we like, but she gets a little frustrated at some of the levels. So I'm also looking for recommendations for more two player, kid friendly games. No anime.

It would be nice if the Playstation Store would let you filter by number of players (it has online, single player, and online multiplayer, wtf?)

Family Values fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 22, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Family Values posted:

I've had my PS4 for about a month and a half. It came with Arkham Knight, which I liked. What should I play next? Will I like God of War or Shadows of Mordor? I have basically zero console gaming experience so it's all new to me. I hate sports games and first person shooters. I've mostly been a PC strategy and RPG gamer, but I wouldn't want to play either of those genres on a console.

I got a console so I could play games with my 10 year old daughter, and just for that it's already earning its keep. We've played Lego Jurassic World and liked it; Little Big Planet which we were both kind of meh about; Rayman Legends which we loved; and Tiny Brains which we like, but she gets a little frustrated at some of the levels. So I'm also looking for recommendations for more two player, kid friendly games. No anime.

I'd go Shadows of Mordor over God of War as it won several Game of the Year awards last year.

For kid stuff, look to Lego games, those are generally well received.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Family Values posted:

Found a spreasdsheet that has a list of all local multiplayer games ranked by Metacritic score. I don't know how updated it is.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ED4l2-fGLCN0sIcixNDsuV6o2ImqEM0NwSkEaYJfV8M/edit#gid=0

Of course the most obvious one is Minecraft. I've played it on the PS4 (though not local multiplayer sadly) and it is a very good version of the game. There's nothing wrong with the Just Dance games if you want to get moving, just find one with a track list you can stand. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is something I have never played but that I am given to believe is very good and kids tend to love. Skylanders and Disney Infinity are super cool if you don't mind buying all those toys, and I've heard good things about Lego Dimensions as well. Plus you can play with the toys when the game is off. Two of the cheaper games that are standing out to me on that list are flOw and Never Alone, which are both really good and super atmospheric but you might want to read reviews of beforehand to see if they sound like something your daughter could be interested in. Never Alone does have a little girl as a protagonist so that should be an easier sell. But they aren't necessarily "children's" games.

Hope that helped!

Edit: Just noticed that you also got the PS4 to play for yourself, so yeah I would totally pick up flOw and/or Never Alone. flOw was on PS3 though so you may have already played it.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 22, 2015

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

In metal gear solid online, how to do I join my friend in game?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Got it figured.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I had trouble with my PS4 on a cheap HDMI switch until I plugged in another device that was always on (cable box in this case). Somehow that made everything work fine. I guess it wants a signal there, or something.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That's Unity.

Is Unity worth $15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

the truth posted:

That's Unity.

Is Unity worth $15?

thats been the question since before it came out and the answer is still no