Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I'll look into an attorney. I don't have PMs, but could you send it to EargesplittenSA@yahoo.com?

I did send it certified, so that should help.

I also noticed that T-Mobile doesn't save caller ID, just the number. Is there any way to get proof of who the number is registered to? I did get a voicemail from them identifying themselves, so that's a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, I'll look into an attorney. I don't have PMs, but could you send it to EargesplittenSA@yahoo.com?

I also noticed that T-Mobile doesn't save caller ID, just the number. Is there any way to get proof of who the number is registered to? I did get a voicemail from them identifying themselves, so that's a plus.

Don't worry about it, the receipt from the certified letter should be plenty, along with the phone number in your call records. These things are more shades of grey than black and white. The collector is unlikely to try and argue with an attorney that the phone number doesn't belong to them (and if the attorney thinks they're lying and then hire a service to track the number, the agency gets to pay that bill too). You're likely to get a settlement regardless but depending on your proof it might not be for the full thousand bucks. Email sent.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

the littlest prince posted:

I think that once it goes to court it's too late for DV or PFD. He might be able to get them to vacate the judgment if he was not aware of the court case until the judgment had been awarded, but if he can't be bothered to send a letter his best option is probably to just pay them off. It's just a matter of time and effort for them to garnish his wages.

Or he could live with someone who doesn't care about credit. Like family, or little old ladies who aren't up to snuff on how to pick renters, etc.

Setting up a payment plan and getting everything in writing are both good ideas.

Thanks for the response. He showed up to work a few days ago with a newly-bought used truck, part of the deal he got was that they financed the money he needed to pay off the apartment debt. Apparently, they were selling the car below the NADA value, and the difference was the amount he needed for the apartment.

I have a feeling he probably just dug himself into a much, much deeper hole but if that's the case I'm way too out of my depth to help him so...

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I saw this and thought it was pretty funny.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3ga83g/michigan_hospital_says_i_owe_money_for_tendon/

Hospital is trying to collect on a recent knee tendon surgery from an amputee who doesn't have a knee. Says debt collectors are calling 20 times per day.

Somewhere in Michigan, a lawyer just got a warm and fuzzy feeling.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

canyoneer posted:

I saw this and thought it was pretty funny.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3ga83g/michigan_hospital_says_i_owe_money_for_tendon/

Hospital is trying to collect on a recent knee tendon surgery from an amputee who doesn't have a knee. Says debt collectors are calling 20 times per day.

Somewhere in Michigan, a lawyer just got a warm and fuzzy feeling.

This just makes me picture a cartoon lawyer with giant money signs in his eyes. There is no losing this one.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Did they identify themselves as a debt collector? If so, that's another violation.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What does one do with a likely collections agency that keeps calling, asking for someone who has never lived here, and refuses to identify themselves to anyone but that person? I guess I could tell them I'm that person, but somehow that seems unwise.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

baquerd posted:

What does one do with a likely collections agency that keeps calling, asking for someone who has never lived here, and refuses to identify themselves to anyone but that person? I guess I could tell them I'm that person, but somehow that seems unwise.

Same process. Get their mailing adress, keep notes, send them a c&d. One phone call is a payday.

Btw just settled suit 3/3

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully this isn't a repeat question somewhere in these 80-some pages, but basically apparently when signing up for internet in Germany, you sign up for a 2 or 3 year contract and death is basically the only escape. Even if I show I've left the country, which requires official documents stating I have moved out, I still have to pay until February. Since I'm traveling for the next few months, I can't quite do that.

My question is: if I just don't pay and then never return to Germany, what will happen? I feel bad, but this is dumb.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 28, 2015

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

revmoo posted:

Same process. Get their mailing adress, keep notes, send them a c&d. One phone call is a payday.

Btw just settled suit 3/3

They won't identify themselves though. I can't even get their name, let alone their address.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

baquerd posted:

They won't identify themselves though. I can't even get their name, let alone their address.

They have to give you an address, or honor your request to handle any further communication in writing. If you state, "please do not call me any further as I would like all future communication handled in writing", they will have to honor your request. Also, Google the phone number...a lot of the time you can find out the company just from Googling the number.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OssiansFolly posted:

They have to give you an address, or honor your request to handle any further communication in writing. If you state, "please do not call me any further as I would like all future communication handled in writing", they will have to honor your request. Also, Google the phone number...a lot of the time you can find out the company just from Googling the number.

The number is blocked, doesn't show up in call log or on caller id except as the value "1". They answer all requests with "Is this XXX? I can't reveal any information if this isn't XXX."

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

baquerd posted:

The number is blocked, doesn't show up in call log or on caller id except as the value "1". They answer all requests with "Is this XXX? I can't reveal any information if this isn't XXX."

When this was happening to me when I was younger, I just went to the police station and filed a report stating they were harassing me. It stopped immediately, but I'm unsure if the complaint did anything, or they just stopped for some other reason.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

baquerd posted:

You can get a little bitchy with them next time they call. Inform them that they are required to identify themselves, as per the FDCPA, and that every call after you informed them you were not XXX is a violation of the FDCPA. There are some smartphone apps that are supposed to be able to trace calls like this, but none of them are free and a lot of them are sketchy. You might want to keep an eye on your credit report and see if anything new shows up.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

AuntBuck posted:

You can get a little bitchy with them next time they call. Inform them that they are required to identify themselves, as per the FDCPA, and that every call after you informed them you were not XXX is a violation of the FDCPA. There are some smartphone apps that are supposed to be able to trace calls like this, but none of them are free and a lot of them are sketchy. You might want to keep an eye on your credit report and see if anything new shows up.
Record the call, too. If you're in a one party state, don't tell them you're doing it. Then once they refuse, tell them it was recorded and you're going to file a police report and have the police get the companies info from the phone company. See what happens.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

baquerd posted:

Yea, if you literally can't get any info from them then go the FDCPA route like everyone else said. If you REALLY aren't who they are calling for then continued harassment after you state that is a clear violation.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
So in two days I have court for a credit card debt. We got behind in payments for awhile, got a bitchy letter from a lawyer saying they were going to sue us, so I made some payments, got it back on track and thought everything was just fine until I started getting junk mail from lawyers offering to defend me in my upcoming case and/or help me declare bankruptcy (neither of which is something I'm going to do, it's only for about $1900, probably not worth hiring a lawyer for). Awhile later I got a summons for court. The weird thing is that the bank/credit card people are acting like everything is normal and have been accepting my payments. That being the case, I'm seriously tempted to just pay the remainder off tomorrow. If I do this and they process the payment, can they still sue me?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Stabby_McBitchslap posted:

So in two days I have court for a credit card debt. We got behind in payments for awhile, got a bitchy letter from a lawyer saying they were going to sue us, so I made some payments, got it back on track and thought everything was just fine until I started getting junk mail from lawyers offering to defend me in my upcoming case and/or help me declare bankruptcy (neither of which is something I'm going to do, it's only for about $1900, probably not worth hiring a lawyer for). Awhile later I got a summons for court. The weird thing is that the bank/credit card people are acting like everything is normal and have been accepting my payments. That being the case, I'm seriously tempted to just pay the remainder off tomorrow. If I do this and they process the payment, can they still sue me?

I'd say don't pay it. Keep making your normal payments, bring the proof you've been doing that to the court house, and then when your case is called ask them to prove the debt is yours with a copy of the account or written contract/agreement.

If they can't prove the debt is yours they have no right to collect on it. If they prove they have the right to collect on it then use this opportunity to settle for a lower amount. If you have the money to pay it off it would have been better to do so before a couple days before the court date, but since you are at the door you may as well go there with the plan to pay it off in the event everything else falls through.

(Obviously this isn't legal advice...I'm not a lawyer. I have fought and won 2 cases against credit cards I owed on.)

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

If you can, pay it off. Then bring proof to your court date. They may not be able to call it off with this short a lead time, but there's no sense in not paying it if you can and potentially paying their lawyer fees, etc. If you want you can probably have a nice chat with the judge about how you had gotten back on track with payments and were quite surprised by this lawsuit. You've got a great opportunity here to make a collections lawyer look like a dick.

edit: This is a lawyer representing the bank you have the card with isn't it?

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
Yes, that's the case... I'm not certain that the bank is even aware this is going on. And I don't think it will take much to make this guy look like a dick. Plus, I know the judge, so I guess that might help.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

The lawsuit is probably an automatic response from their collections department. Banks are really lovely at reigning in collections once a customer gets back on track. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

OssiansFolly posted:

I'd say don't pay it. Keep making your normal payments, bring the proof you've been doing that to the court house, and then when your case is called ask them to prove the debt is yours with a copy of the account or written contract/agreement.

If they can't prove the debt is yours they have no right to collect on it. If they prove they have the right to collect on it then use this opportunity to settle for a lower amount. If you have the money to pay it off it would have been better to do so before a couple days before the court date, but since you are at the door you may as well go there with the plan to pay it off in the event everything else falls through.

(Obviously this isn't legal advice...I'm not a lawyer. I have fought and won 2 cases against credit cards I owed on.)
Isn't paying on a debt construed as accepting the debt as valid? It definitely refreshes the activity counter for when the debt will fall off, so I would think making payments and then saying "Prove this debt is mine" might be shooting yourself in the foot. Not a lawyer in the slightest.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

That's not relevant here. The debt is still with the original creditor.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008

AuntBuck posted:

The lawsuit is probably an automatic response from their collections department. Banks are really lovely at reigning in collections once a customer gets back on track. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Apparently today was just the preliminary hearing. The bank's attorney tried to convince us to take a summary judgment against us. We told him that wasn't happening, so they set a trial date for next month. I think I'm going to just pay it off with the bank and then file a motion to dismiss, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Question for you all --

I have an account that went into collections on 2/14/14 for $230~, I payed it off immediately in full. It is now 9/6/2015 and it is still showing as an open account.

This account was from a university. The collector is 'Enterprise Recovery Systems'. I called the collector about 6 months after having paid it and they didn't really want to talk to me, giving me an answer of 'it sometimes takes awhile'. I called them again about 5 months after that and they said I had to call the university. I got in touch with the university and asked them what the hell and they said it's on the collection agency to update the state of the debt. I'm pretty pissed off about this and if it makes sense, I want to shake a lawyer at someone to make this go away.

Is someone violating laws at this point? What do I say to who to make this go away?

The debt is in North Dakota, but I currently live in CA if that matters.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have an account that went into collections on 2/14/14 for $230~, I payed it off immediately in full. It is now 9/6/2015 and it is still showing as an open account.

Did you get a receipt? If not, you may be in some poo poo, but start off by disputing it with the credit reporting agencies regardless.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Did you get a receipt? If not, you may be in some poo poo, but start off by disputing it with the credit reporting agencies regardless.

I did not, but I have a bank statement that clearly says 'money from my account went into their account for this amount at this time'. I'll dispute it right now.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Question for you all --

This account was from a university. The collector is 'Enterprise Recovery Systems'. I called the collector about 6 months after having paid it and they didn't really want to talk to me, giving me an answer of 'it sometimes takes awhile'. I called them again about 5 months after that and they said I had to call the university. I got in touch with the university and asked them what the hell and they said it's on the collection agency to update the state of the debt. I'm pretty pissed off about this and if it makes sense, I want to shake a lawyer at someone to make this go away.

Is someone violating laws at this point? What do I say to who to make this go away?

The debt is in North Dakota, but I currently live in CA if that matters.

I just sucessfully settled a lawsuit against ERS. They're criminals. Document. Document. Document. And then lawyer up.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

I did not, but I have a bank statement that clearly says 'money from my account went into their account for this amount at this time'. I'll dispute it right now.

When you say "dispute" you obviously mean sending a certified letter with verification of receipt to the credit companies, right? Make sure anything and everything you do and send has proof of what you did and sent. I just finally finished paying on a student loan that I rehabbed, and at the 30 day mark it hadn't been cleared so I mailed a letter with proof the final payment had been made.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Just got a letter from a debt collector with the following disclaimer:

quote:

The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt. Because of the age of your debt, our client will not sue you for it. In many circumstances, you can renew the debt and start the time period for the filing of a lawsuit against you if you take specific actions such as making certain payment on the debt or making a written promise to pay. You should determine the effect of any actions you take with respect to this debt.

Soooo ... they have no way to make me pay it unless I start to pay it.

I'm amazed that is in a debt collection letter. Is that an Obama thing? If so, Thanks Obama.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Just got a letter from a debt collector with the following disclaimer:

Soooo ... they have no way to make me pay it unless I start to pay it.

I'm amazed that is in a debt collection letter. Is that an Obama thing? If so, Thanks Obama.
What state do you live in? I'm betting it's a state thing.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

What state do you live in? I'm betting it's a state thing.

I'm in NH but would it be a state thing? Usually letters will have some disclaimer for residents of X states (that have stricter consumer protection laws than NH, which isn't hard to have).

I mean, the debt is for $600 so it's unlikely I'd get sued for it anyway. Still, I appreciate being told by the debt collection agency that it's in my best interests not to pay. Maybe they're just really chill.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I'm in NH but would it be a state thing? Usually letters will have some disclaimer for residents of X states (that have stricter consumer protection laws than NH, which isn't hard to have).

I mean, the debt is for $600 so it's unlikely I'd get sued for it anyway. Still, I appreciate being told by the debt collection agency that it's in my best interests not to pay. Maybe they're just really chill.
Different states have different statues of limitations, for one thing. And they also require debt collectors to be registered in the state they're trying to collect in, so they know the state laws. It's not a stretch to think different states have different disclosure requirements.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

So in some cases, a debt might be old enough that they can't sue you for it (and this just really means that they CAN sue you but if you show up and point out the facts, it'd get thrown out), but it can still legally be reported. In certain circumstances, say getting a bank account (if this were ann unpaid check, for example), getting a mortgage, or applying for a security clearance, it might make sense to pay it off even though it re-ages the debt.

They're not really chill. They're following the loving law. Depending on the age and type of your debt, they may be following either state or federal law.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

NancyPants posted:

So in some cases, a debt might be old enough that they can't sue you for it (and this just really means that they CAN sue you but if you show up and point out the facts, it'd get thrown out), but it can still legally be reported.
If they sue you on a debt past the statute of limitations, it's an FDCPA violation.

Encore and Portfolio just got smacked by the CFPB for suing on time-barred accounts.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

If they sue you on a debt past the statute of limitations, it's an FDCPA violation.

Encore and Portfolio just got smacked by the CFPB for suing on time-barred accounts.

It is, but being against the law doesn't prevent people from doing it. It just means you have an affirmative defense and cause to countersue.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008

Stabby_McBitchslap posted:

Apparently today was just the preliminary hearing. The bank's attorney tried to convince us to take a summary judgment against us. We told him that wasn't happening, so they set a trial date for next month. I think I'm going to just pay it off with the bank and then file a motion to dismiss, but I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Update: I went ahead and just paid it all off (paid the bank directly, didn't deal with the lawyers at all) and when I showed up for court ready to chew lawyer rear end, I found out the case was dismissed the day before. Success!

e: I received the official letter stating that the case had been dismissed with prejudice yesterday. Ah, sweet victory!

Stabby_McBitchslap fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 22, 2015

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012
Here is the situation; 6 years ago(before I knew her) wife had ~$2500 doctor debt in Maryland. She moved to California. The statute of limitations is 3 years, but we just got a certified mail that we didn't sign for (the mail is waiting at the post office for her to sign). We went on-line and checked Case Search, and they are in the process of suing her.

What do we do? I don't want her to pay for an airplane ticket to fly over there, miss work, just to dismiss the case. How do we fight it 3000 miles away?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Call the small claims court clerk and ask how to file for dismissal and whether that would allow a judgment on affidavit instead of having to appear in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
So they're suing you in Maryland? Is the 3 year SOL for Maryland or California?