Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jerusalem posted:

The 20s or 30s, I can't remember which. But yeah, they sent him (and Rory's dad! And presumably Amy's tiny little dad too) a letter saying,"It's okay, we're happy, we're living a good life."

I mean there was the small matter of World War II coming up of course, but nothing's perfect!

They were in NYC, so its pretty safe when WW2 comes along. And Amy became a mystery writer.

Clara gets elected President of Space and leaves the Doctor for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

twistedmentat posted:

They were in NYC, so its pretty safe when WW2 comes along. And Amy became a mystery writer.

Clara gets elected President of Space and leaves the Doctor for it.

I think it'd be an interesting departure if a companion found something more interesting or exciting than the Doctor and left him, and we got to saw him try to cope with that. If nothing else, that could be a fun episode with the Doctor winning the companion back at the end. Like, there's not really a crazy monster or threat, it's just the Doctor vs. the idea that someone's just not that into him anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't that sort of what the Monk does in season 4 of the EDAs?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am at End of Time in my netflix rewatch, and I realized that the food truck in the middle of nowhere was a charity. I remember that confused people the first time around.

Anyways, the bigger thing was did they ever answer who the woman in white is?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

twistedmentat posted:

I am at End of Time in my netflix rewatch, and I realized that the food truck in the middle of nowhere was a charity. I remember that confused people the first time around.

Anyways, the bigger thing was did they ever answer who the woman in white is?

From memory, RTD told her to act "like the Doctor's mother" but he himself never really hammered down on an exact identity for her, nor did he write her to have one (a lot of nods were made to a variety of potential characters: Susan and Romana being the most obvious).

RTD, for all the wonderful things he did, did have a tendency to just come up with an idea of,"This would be cool!" and give it zero further thought, and then second-guess himself down the road anyway. I mean, how the hell did she show up on that TV screen to talk to Wilf anyway?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Yeah he also second guessed himself about Jack being the Face of Boe apparently (good, it was a loving stupid twist)

It totally was the Doctor's mom and Rusty was too chickenshit to say it outright (good, it would have been a loving stupid twist)

Reminds me: say what you will about Moffat but he's never done anything as moronic as You Are Not Alone -> Y.A.N.A. -> Professor Yana like what is that. What IS that.
even "hello sweetie, surprise, I'm your daughter/my name is also a body of water" isn't THAT bad.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 22, 2015

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

misadventurous posted:

Reminds me: say what you will about Moffat but he's never done anything as moronic as You Are Not Alone -> Y.A.N.A. -> Professor Yana like what is that. What IS that.

This also kind of bothers me, but the way I rationalize it is that instead it is Professor Yana -> Y.A.N.A. -> You Are Not Alone, even though it's presented in the opposite order.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh I hate that. If you're going to have a big mystery, pay it off. This isn't like "who was in the other boat?" from Lost, where its minor and doesn't effect the plot at all, but having some mysterious wizard show up and push characters in the right way with no explanation or pay off, its annoying.

I'm still annoyed that Netflix does not have Day of the Doctor on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I'm still annoyed that Netflix does not have Day of the Doctor on it.

I'm fairly sure that classifies as a war crime :mad:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly sure that classifies as a war crime :mad:

A Time War Crime? :v:

Speaking of that, I am still sad they killed and kept dead the mousy fangirl who worked for Unit. Its weird because so many secondary characters die in Doctor Who so I should be used to it after 30 years of watch, but nope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

A Time War Crime? :v:

Speaking of that, I am still sad they killed and kept dead the mousy fangirl who worked for Unit. Its weird because so many secondary characters die in Doctor Who so I should be used to it after 30 years of watch, but nope.

She got waved with the blue beam. We know by now that's a teleport.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 22, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oswhatever was horrible and I'm glad she's dead.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I liked her and they're probably bringing her back this series

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

misadventurous posted:

I liked her and they're probably bringing her back this series

Probably by saying the one that Missy offed was the Zygon one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, did Lord President Dalton say that they created the Angels?

Man, I did not pay attention to this the first time I watched it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, did Lord President Dalton say that they created the Angels?

Man, I did not pay attention to this the first time I watched it.

Nope (or probably not), that was just yet another of RTD's "wouldn't this be a cool thing to suggest!" things where he gave them no further thought after putting it out there. It certainly didn't help that End of time largely (particularly in part one) felt like a rough draft that went straight to screen.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jerusalem posted:

Nope (or probably not), that was just yet another of RTD's "wouldn't this be a cool thing to suggest!" things where he gave them no further thought after putting it out there. It certainly didn't help that End of time largely (particularly in part one) felt like a rough draft that went straight to screen.

Yea, it was really clear that it was super rough and felt rushed.

At least I can watch that amazing scene with the Doctor and young Amy and the food.

And stay out!

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She got waved with the blue beam. We know by now that's a teleport.

The beam that killed her was red, and she wasn't linked to Missy's time-travel thing like Clara was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

From what I understand, the core of RTD's idea for Ten's regeneration was the Doctor sacrificing himself to save an alien family on a spaceship, which eventually transformed into the scene where he trades places with Wilf and gets poisoned by the radiation.

"The End of Time" is basically my least favourite story since 2005 (there are episodes which have been much worse but "The End of Time" is my least favourite) but that was one of its well-done scenes.

I remember thinking the whole Cult of Saxon angle was the most risible thing when it was first broadcast (which would've been Christmas Day in 2008? I think) and I've never been quite sure why. But I'd probably revise my opinion if I re-watched it now. It was just disappointing on the whole given how much it had been built up. You get Timothy Dalton hamming it up as Rassilon and he's great, but when you get down to it all he really does is stand around waving a Nintendo Power Glove at people.

I was actually really confused by Rassilon in "The End of Time", actually, because I hadn't heard any of the Big Finish stories with Rassilon in them and only knew him from "The Five Doctors", where he's ambiguous, but he's on the Doctors' side and helps them with Borusa. Oh well. It doesn't really matter, I suppose.

I wasn't mad keen on "The Time of the Doctor" but I think I'd rather have it than "The End of Time".

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Part 1 was broadcast Christmas Day 2009 and Part 2 was New Years Day 2010.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Engines of War does a really good job with patching up the plotholes between Day of the Doctor and The End of Time. The audio book is great - Nicholas Briggs does all the Dalek voices with the modulation and a great War Doctor impression.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cargohills posted:

Part 1 was broadcast Christmas Day 2009 and Part 2 was New Years Day 2010.

I was one year out.

It's like Pop Master.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

At least I can watch that amazing scene with the Doctor and young Amy and the food.

And stay out!

Younger Matt Smith was so endearing and adorable.

"I'm the Doctor. Do everything I say, don't ask stupid questions and don't go wandering off."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
hm, I wouldn't actually mind if it turned out the Angels were a Time Lord invention. I mean, I like when their technology is so advanced that it just looks like normal objects like pocket-watches and sunglasses, it adds to their wizardly mystique, so Angel Statues fit there.
Plus the angels DO use time travel to attack.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Then you lose the pathos of the original design. Admittedly so do all their subsequent appearances, but hey

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't remember it ever being implied that the Angels were Time Lord creations, just that the Time Lords were aware of them and had contacts with them in the past?

Not that it would matter either way, unless another writer would like to write about their origin later (they shouldn't, there's no good writing material to be mined there).

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

(they shouldn't, there's no good writing material to be mined there).
exactly like every appearance of the angels after blink then?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Angels being a Time Lord weapon wouldn't be too crazy. Like they find this race of passive, silicon based life forms and they decide to weaponize the gently caress out of them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cerv posted:

I like the idea of the angel battery farm in The Angels Take Manhattan. Didn't much like the rest of the episode, but eh.

Aside from that, I'd agree, though obviously Moffat didn't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Younger Matt Smith was so endearing and adorable.

"I'm the Doctor. Do everything I say, don't ask stupid questions and don't go wandering off."

"This is very important, Amy. We never, ever, ever interfere!"
Immediately rushes off screen to interfere

:allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

"This is very important, Amy. We never, ever, ever interfere!"
Immediately rushes off screen to interfere

:allears:

I openly wept when Smith announced he was leaving. The saddest day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a shame he didn't stay on longer, but you can't really blame Smith for wanting to leave when he did if the behind the scenes problems were as bad as they're purported to have been during seasons six and seven. :(

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I was happy to see Smith leave. I did start liking him a bit more by the end of Series 7, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cargohills posted:

I was happy to see Smith leave. I did start liking him a bit more by the end of Series 7, though.

Okay guys, I'll hold him down and you all take turns stomping on his balls.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Why were the behind the scenes in s6&7 bad?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

From what others have said, Season 6 and at least the first half of season 7 were all about recovering from the overspending/budget & production mismanagement in season 5. So we had season splits, long stretches of time without new episodes but not quite long enough for the actors to actually go and do other things etc. I believe somebody worked out that technically we should have had at least one more full season by now.

By the time things were back on track, Smith was ready to move on and have a go at breaking into films while he was still young and in relatively high demand.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

Hello thread topic from like, five (?) pages ago how are you

Long and short of it- Moffat ran the budget so hard into the ground that it took three years and missing an entire season to fix due to a verity of problems that ultimate do come down on him because he's supposed to be the guy in charge of it.

Thankfully everything seems stable now unless those rumors about next year are true.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Cerv posted:

Flesh and Stone/Time of Angels ruled though

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I believe somebody worked out that technically we should have had at least one more full season by now.

I love the show so much, but every time this is brought up it just sounds like entitled whining.

Yea there were problems, but no one owes you an extra season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why did RTD decide to go for four specials in 2009 instead of a full series? Was it his partner's illness?

• Locked thread