Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Nah he didn't apologize, he made a poor intern apologize. You can imagine him berating the guy, and if this picks up steam he may even get to say "you're fired!".

It also doesn't break kayfabe imo because the RT was done sans commentary, it's a press of a button. It's still real to me dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
"I would never say that about the great state of Iowa. I love Iowa! Iowa loves me!" he'll be fine

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Xenophon posted:

"I would never say that about the great state of Iowa. I love Iowa! Iowa loves me!"

...but let's be honest, Iowa's a disaster.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 22, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oiled and Ready posted:

Nah he didn't apologize, he made a poor intern apologize. You can imagine him berating the guy, and if this picks up steam he may even get to say "you're fired!".

It also doesn't break kayfabe imo because the RT was done sans commentary, it's a press of a button. It's still real to me dammit!

Interns running his Twitter rather than him still looks bad, even if it's just for retweets or something.

Tangent, just saw an article speculating that, rather than finally realizing that they're crazy and no one agrees with them, the Republican party will only get more extreme if Trump or Carson take the nomination and then get crushed. I can see the point there, too; the echo chamber they've created for their base has made a lot of them completely unreasonable, and there's probably no undoing that mess they've made for themselves and the country.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Roland Jones posted:

Interns running his Twitter rather than him still looks bad, even if it's just for retweets or something.

Not really - dictating his tweets fits perfectly with his image.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I don't think making one apology for one mildly insensitive tweet is the final nail in the Trump coffin, or even actually a big deal at all. Trump's thing is more that he doesn't apologize when he isn't wrong, not that he rejects the entire concept of apologies. An intern hosed up, it was corrected and apologized for reasonably, he's moving on. The idiots posting here who think that Trump should start insulting those darn flyover Midwesterners who don't matter even harder are really, really stupid.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I don't think making one apology for one mildly insensitive tweet is the final nail in the Trump coffin, or even actually a big deal at all. Trump's thing is more that he doesn't apologize when he isn't wrong, not that he rejects the entire concept of apologies. An intern hosed up, it was corrected and apologized for reasonably, he's moving on. The idiots posting here who think that Trump should start insulting those darn flyover Midwesterners who don't matter even harder are really, really stupid.

Yeah, but one of his other things is "I'm never wrong about anything," see also his statement at the Family Leadership Summit where he claimed to be devout, but had never asked god's forgiveness as he'd never done anything that needed forgiving.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

He walked back his Carly Fiorina appearance comments during the second debate. I don't think the debate helped him, but it certainly didn't kill him.

Walking this Iowa tweet back won't kill him, but it doesn't help. The only thing that'll definitely kill him is if Carson stays in to split the outsider vote and the establishment rallies around (I can't believe I'm saying this) Rubio.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 22, 2016

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
can trump create a stump so large, that even he can trip over it?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Well if Carson gets the nomination and of course gets destroyed in the general it was because he wasn't conservative enough

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
One thing about this is that Trump did the fixing almost immediately:

Only 8 minutes to fix the potential problem is fast even for Twitter and that's basically beyond instant for every other form of media.

It's not like he erased it after hours had passed and the media had gotten to sink their teeth into his comments; to the average person this looks exactly like what Trump said: an intern tweeted out something they shouldn't have, and Trump handled the problem before anything bad could happen.

"Stuff happens", as some moron polling at 6% said.:v:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
But... If Trump was looking for attention, he could've just left that tweet up there. It would've created a nice controversy and kept him in the news for another cycle. Walking it back means--

Oh god. He actually thinks he can make it.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Ratspeaker posted:

But... If Trump was looking for attention, he could've just left that tweet up there. It would've created a nice controversy and kept him in the news for another cycle. Walking it back means--

this is the End Times thread

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 22, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ratspeaker posted:

He also said the other day he thinks he can win Massachusetts.

We're not playing with a full deck here.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

fade5 posted:

One thing about this is that Trump did the fixing almost immediately:

Only 8 minutes to fix the potential problem is fast even for Twitter and that's basically beyond instant for every other form of media.

It's not like he erased it after hours had passed and the media had gotten to sink their teeth into his comments; to the average person this looks exactly like what Trump said: an intern tweeted out something they shouldn't have, and Trump handled the problem before anything bad could happen.

"Stuff happens", as some moron polling at 6% said.:v:

:confused:

Where are you getting 8 minutes from? It was three hours and two minutes later.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

The GOP never shuts the gently caress up about how much they love Saint Ronald Reagan, and how every candidate is the true heir to Reagan's Holy Path. You can almost picture Trump and Carson as two halves of the Reagan memory.

Carson has the quiet, aww shucks, calming grandpa-like demeanor that just makes everyone want to like him.

Trump has the stinging quips, charismatic media personality, and ability to attack the hated others (go team!).

It's not surprising that both of them have resonated in different ways with a base that is looking for an alternative to the establishment candidates. Thankfully for this country though, one is too mean and the other too passive to have the full Reagan resonance, otherwise the Democrats might be in real trouble in the general.

This post made me start imagining a Dragonball Z-like fusion of the two into an unstoppable republican candidate: Dr. Carson Trump, soft spoken, charismatic, billionaire neurosurgeon.

"I love gun victims, I have great respect for them. But their response to a crisis; it's a disaster! They're letting Mexican gunmen shoot them one by one. It's killing them! Gun victims don't win any more. I'm going to make them win again!"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ratspeaker posted:

Trump has drunk deep of his own supply.

He has been leading the polls since July 19th, his strongest "competition" is a neurosurgeon who has not ever held any sort of political office, and all who have tried to take him on so far (Jeb!, Fiorina, Rand Paul, Jeb! again, Megyn Kelly, Jeb! for the third time) have ended up losing, and in Jeb!'s case, losing hard.

Not only does Trump think he can make it all the way, I'm starting to think that if Rubio crashes and burns then Trump will end up making it all the way.

E:

Pinterest Mom posted:

:confused:

Where are you getting 8 minutes from? It was three hours and two minutes later.
Whoops, should have checked the time myself, I was going by the time-stamp on the image I quoted.:sweatdrop:

My point still generally stands, Trump fixed the tweet before it had the potential to really take hold against him; ~3 hours is still fairly fast by non-internet time.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 22, 2015

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Bucswabe posted:

This post made me start imagining a Dragonball Z-like fusion of the two into an unstoppable republican candidate: Dr. Carson Trump, soft spoken, charismatic, billionaire neurosurgeon.

"I love gun victims, I have great respect for them. But their response to a crisis; it's a disaster! They're letting Mexican gunmen shoot them one by one. It's killing them! Gun victims don't win any more. I'm going to make them win again!"
And that's an entire 5 minute speech, with the base hollering and applauding down to their bloody stumps of hands and mumbling factored in

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I said it before, but Carson is popular because he's running the same scheme as Glenn Beck. He's angling for the freepers wife who agrees with every horrible thing her husband yells at the tv, but doesn't like all the meanness.

The crosstabs on his appeal to women in the primary confirms this.

Personal anecdote incoming that confirms this and "they like him because he's black".

I'm having dinner at this function the other night and I get stuck at a table with a much older couple from Arizona who reek of FYGM. People like them can't help but turn the conservation to politics and when they learned I was from Texas they immediately ask what I thought of Ted Cruz. They didn't like my answer. Next, the wife says she really likes Carson, so I asked why? She said that he was well spoken, educated and he always seemed to be calm and in control. I said that no Republican in the South would vote for a black man and she said, "well they voted for Obama". Her husband had to tap her on the shoulder and point out that no Republicans in the South voted for Obama.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
Some choice snaps from the Trump south carolina snapchat account:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

fade5 posted:

Trump has drunk deep of his own supply.

He has been leading the polls since July 19th, his strongest "competition" is a neurosurgeon who has not ever held any sort of political office, and all who have tried to take him on so far (Jeb!, Fiorina, Rand Paul, Jeb! again, Megyn Kelly, Jeb! for the third time) have ended up losing, and in Jeb!'s case, losing hard.

Not only does Trump think he can make it all the way, I'm starting to think that if Rubio crashes and burns then Trump will end up making it all the way.

The progression of Trump's candidacy has put me in the mind of that episode from South Park (I know, I know) where Obama was a master thief whose entire presidential bid was actually just an extremely complex con to get him into the Oval Office so that he could steal some enormous jewel from under it. And then when he won, he said, "You know what? I was going to fake my own death after this and GTFO, but I think I'll stay and try my hand at this presidency thing after all."

I guess life imitates (lovely) art.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
At this point, this can only help JEB!

Jeb takes a picture in front of a green screen while pointing, and releases it to the Internet.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Gregoriev posted:

Those dorks think associating themselves with The Bully will save them? Trump is like Crom: he respects no prayers but strength.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'd like to ask the "i think trump can go all the way" posters how they square that with the 2012 post-mortem that said they need to be nicer to Latinos if they want to compete. Especially when he's looking at 60+ unfavorable in general, as a very well known entity who most people have likely already made their mind up on.

I just don't see him finding enough crossover without some very dramatic happenings going on.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'd like to ask the "i think trump can go all the way" posters how they square that with the 2012 post-mortem that said they need to be nicer to Latinos if they want to compete. Especially when he's looking at 60+ unfavorable in general, as a very well known entity who most people have likely already made their mind up on.

I just don't see him finding enough crossover without some very dramatic happenings going on.

Trump needs to pull in an unfathomable amount of white voters (because lol he's not getting any minorities) and he won't be running against Obama so that'll be tough

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Countdown to JEB making an appearance in the Caligula anal fisting scene.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

try to force the meme eh

is it possible to give yuckabee negative votes for bringin up the small of his back (aint nuthin small about that back yukyuk)

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Gregoriev posted:

badparenting.jpg

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

William Bear posted:

Those dorks think associating themselves with The Bully will save them? Trump is like Crom: he respects no prayers but strength.

It's a kind of reverse Cthulhu thing - you worship the Donald so that he eats you last.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Depends on how far "all the way" is. The presidency? Hell no, not a chance. The Republican nomination? I can see it happening, though it's a long shot. Getting shorter by the day though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boosted_C5 posted:

Ugh. Those 3 and Huckabee need to GO.

And I like Christie. But he, along with the other 3, are simply wasting space and speaking time. They're not contenders.

Oh well, I guess the positive is that from a Trump P.O.V., the more the merrier. Large field helps him and hurts Bush, Rubio, etc. Kasich and Christie sure as hell aren't going to siphon away Trump or Carson voters.

Gotta say, you going round the bend into ia ia toupee ftagn has been one of the best things in this subforum.

Edited for phonepost typo.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 22, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Why does the think he is good at this??

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When I say "all the way", I mean that Trump will successfully make it all the way to the Republican nomination, win the nomination, and go into the general election as the Republican nominee to run against whoever the Democrats put up (Hillary/Bernie, probably Hillary). Trump will then get loving stomped harder than Romney in the general election.

Trump's anti-Mexican/anti-Hispanic stance will indeed loving murder him, although it might go like what's happened with Obama for the last 7 years where we see a visual uptick/continuation of the anti-Hispanic racism that has been brought to the surface (and also despair at how little has changed).

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Well I guess no human being is ever coming clean to that committee then.

Who the hell has ever gotten a Che tramp stamp?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Please proceed, Governor.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Zelder posted:

Trump needs to pull in an unfathomable amount of white voters (because lol he's not getting any minorities) and he won't be running against Obama so that'll be tough

If he picks Carson as veep, he could pull in a bunch of conservative old black voters who hate immigrants and the gays. (Just dealt with a bunch of them in Chicago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

ia ia toupee ftagn

:eyepop:

• Locked thread