Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Wasabi the J posted:

WE nor OUR employees weren't the negligent ones, Shill Dynmanics sub-contractors and Pilate's Consulting firms supervisors are the ones who made the call to do this terrible terrible thing...
\
:businessessay:
Operations insurance is pretty good about looking at operations from a total lifecycle scale, so if you try to blame further up the chain your entire capital and project management scheme comes under fire and it turns into looking at contractor certifications and turns into "you're going to get your payout from suing them if that's the case, cya later."

I have mentioned before that OSHA inspections are generally a non-thing because the fines haven't been updated in 30 years, but an insurance visit will have everyone making GBS threads bricks because it involves sums of money you could never imagine.

You end up with weird edge cases like that gas terminal explosion because gas is in a super weird position where oil companies so terrified of losing the pennies of profit on it they've strong armed all the relevant standards to treat an explosive carcinogen as basically safe, so that gas terminal could argue to the insurer that they were basically state of the art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Complete teardown of a lithium phone battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI1eRy0uBI8

Don't try this at home. Lithium batteries can burst into flames violently or even explode if pierced.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't try this at home. Lithium batteries can burst into flames violently or even explode if pierced.

Yeah, I would never do this. At work, we've sent li-ion cells back to the manufacturer for teardown and x-ray analysis, but they actually know what they're doing.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
allahu akbar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-xPHopebiE

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jesus, fcuk! I'm carrying something like that next to my genitals?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spog posted:

Don't carry it in the same pocket as your knife.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

spog posted:

This one WEIRD trick TERRORISTS don't WANT you to know1!

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

spog posted:

It's not that the case is protecting the phone, but protecting you from the phone.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

spog posted:

And yet you can't bring a bottle of water on an airplane

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Kerosene19 posted:

Its about $30,000 to outfit and commission single tank with Rosemount gauging.

This is why they don't have me do estimating where I work.

I do like the Rosemounts though, not cheap but they work well. Hard to read the integral displays though.

More snakes:
http://imgur.com/gallery/pJdGG

And hornets:

Nope nope nope nope nope (close and lock the door to the connection compartment) nope nope nope nope

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 23, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

This is why they don't have me do estimating where I work.

I do like the Rosemounts though, not cheap but they work well. Hard to read the integral displays though.

More snakes:
http://imgur.com/gallery/pJdGG

I think you forgot to estimate labor costs, you just priced out materials.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Azhais posted:

And yet you can't bring a bottle of water on an airplane

Yes you can.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

You just can't bring it through security

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

You just can't bring it through security

its like most amusement rides, they make the money on concessions.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I'd say the video title is a little misleading. It's more like "stripping a phone battery out of its case and stabbing it 3 or 4 times and then poking it with a knife blade for good measure results in explosion".

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I'd say the video title is a little misleading. It's more like "stripping a phone battery out of its case and stabbing it 3 or 4 times and then poking it with a knife blade for good measure results in explosion".
That will happen with any other Lithium Ion (and Polymer?) battery if damaged, say from being dropped, or spontaneously if it's horribly made Chinese crap. E-cigarette batteries can literally blow apart your face so this isn't some weird theoretical fear.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Alereon posted:

That will happen with any other Lithium Ion (and Polymer?) battery if damaged, say from being dropped, or spontaneously if it's horribly made Chinese crap. E-cigarette batteries can literally blow apart your face so this isn't some weird theoretical fear.

I liked the "Is it a Good Idea to Microwave This?" episode where they put a Li-Poly battery in the microwave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwyiR-FnhQ

"Dude, it says we shouldn't leave it in direct sunlight, and we're putting it in a microwave."

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

KozmoNaut posted:

I work in a cell phone/tablet repair shop, and the first time my boss showed me how to change an iPad battery, he ruptured it while trying to get it unglued.

Nasty smoke started pouring out of it. We ran it outside and set it down far away from us until it stopped, and propped the store door open to let it air out from the 30 seconds it was still indoors.

Hasn't happened again since then, but some of those batteries are really stuck in there so I'm always ready to run with it and careful with the prying tools.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What kind of prying tools do you have? Plastic or metal? Just curious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

I liked the "Is it a Good Idea to Microwave This?" episode where they put a Li-Poly battery in the microwave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRwyiR-FnhQ

"Dude, it says we shouldn't leave it in direct sunlight, and we're putting it in a microwave."

Lithium-polymer batteries have also been known to explode and heat up when used in airsoft guns. I know of at least one guy who ended up dropping his gun from heat because the battery in the handguard started melting the plastic. They managed to drag it out to the parking lot to smolder itself to death.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkP-b1ADvbk&t=218s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, how exactly do these batteries turn into flamethrowers? Is it just a rapid exothermic reaction started when exposed to air, or something else?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Perestroika posted:

So, how exactly do these batteries turn into flamethrowers? Is it just a rapid exothermic reaction started when exposed to air, or something else?

They short out and dump all of their stored up energy into themselves, which is a highly exothermic process.

~2-3 amp-hours in such a small package is a lot of energy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

They're seriously being considered as the cause for MH370 and pallets of Li-ion batteries have killed pilots before when they spontaneously combusted (the batteries, not the pilots or pallets)

Boeing and Airbus put some new cargo handling procedures out for batteries I believe last year

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

simplefish posted:

They're seriously being considered as the cause for MH370 and pallets of Li-ion batteries have killed pilots before when they spontaneously combusted (the batteries, not the pilots or pallets)

Boeing and Airbus put some new cargo handling procedures out for batteries I believe last year

Yup we had to completely redo how we ship larger uav batteries, lots of new safety regs

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I should ask today if anyone has ever considered switching the lead-acid jars for our substations over to lithium batteries. The thing with the jars is you can maintain them, check electrolyte level and look at the condition of the plates inside, that sort of thing.

They're like really large transparent car batteries.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

I should ask today if anyone has ever considered switching the lead-acid jars for our substations over to lithium batteries. The thing with the jars is you can maintain them, check electrolyte level and look at the condition of the plates inside, that sort of thing.

Lead-acid is better if you aren't on the move and have enough space.
The price and maintainability beat lithium.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Uthor posted:

What kind of prying tools do you have? Plastic or metal? Just curious.

Both, depending on what we're prying. For most batteries, we use a curved metal one, but with the iPad batteries being so big and having so much adhesive, it probably wasn't the right one to use.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Three-Phase posted:

And hornets:

Nope nope nope nope nope (close and lock the door to the connection compartment) nope nope nope nope

How big is that, approximately?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

And hornets:

Those are gas hornets. Don't disturb them if you want your gas, poster. Also ask a professionnal oil harvester for help with those. DO NOT TRY THE "FORK TRICK" IT DOESN'T WORK.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lurking Haro posted:

Lead-acid is better if you aren't on the move and have enough space.
The price and maintainability beat lithium.

Lead-acid has considerably better energy density too, the only advantage of lithium-chemistry batteries is that they're a shitload lighter, as a quick glance at the periodic table should tell you.

(There are some other advantages for certain edge cases too)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lead-acid has considerably better energy density too, the only advantage of lithium-chemistry batteries is that they're a shitload lighter, as a quick glance at the periodic table should tell you.

(There are some other advantages for certain edge cases too)
I don't think properties work the way you think they do. That's not how the periodic table works. Lead acid cells have worse energy density by either measure of weight or volume.

I think I've heard of lithium chemistry of some sort getting used in industrial or server farm settings when it must absolutely fit in a shoebox but its avoided at all costs because banks of lithium chemistry cells are terrifying.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Thanks for the lamest video on youtube.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Three-Phase posted:

Space/weight isn't a premium in that context so they're not going anywhere.

Do one better, needle them to switch over to glorious iron-nickel cells :allears:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

I don't think properties work the way you think they do. That's not how the periodic table works. Lead acid cells have worse energy density by either measure of weight or volume.

I think I've heard of lithium chemistry of some sort getting used in industrial or server farm settings when it must absolutely fit in a shoebox but its avoided at all costs because banks of lithium chemistry cells are terrifying.

It was a flippant joke about lead being heavier than lithium.

But for energy density in volume terms (which is what energy density means, energy per weight is something else I forget the name of) lead-acid is still the winner for any decent amount of load.

Li-Ion gets better theoretical density but in practical applications, as I think you were alluding to when you mentioned banks of lithium batteries, a LI-Ion battery capable of cranking out any decent amount of current is basically an unexploded bomb. Lithium does not fail safe in the same way that lead-acid does (although it's hard to use "safe" to describe boiling sulphuric acid and clouds of hydrogen, they can at least be dealt with with conventional firefighting equipment), so you have to pay way more attention to cooling and shielding than you do for a lead-acid bank.

As far as I know the only use of lithium in high-power applications has been on modern airliners, and the record on that has not been brilliant...

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Not to mention that Lithium demand already far outstrips mining supply and since every-loving-thing is now carrying a Lithium battery that already large gap is due to get exponentially larger real real soon.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Good, that means we'll finally start seeing new battery tech if Lithium becomes too rare.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Now you've got me wondering how big a lead-acid battery you'd need to run a smartphone as long as a lithium cell.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Good, that means we'll finally start seeing new battery tech if Lithium becomes too rare.

Or we'll open up 3 new mines in North America (2 for Tesla alone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

http://crossfade.io/#!/dtndmjzy5o

• Locked thread