Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Molten Llama posted:

Yes, but Google owns Google and gets the full $9.99 on Android. There is no "cut".

Want $9.99 on iOS too, add 30%, get... $12.99.

Google is rich enough to shoulder the $3 lost on each subscription.

It's basically complaining about a policy that you also impose on others, in the most ham-fisted way possible.

Spotify add the "subscription tax", but do it to both Android and iOS. Google only charging extra to iOS customers is going to make their antitrust lawyers very nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Molten Llama posted:

Yes, but Google owns Google and gets the full $9.99 on Android. There is no "cut".

Want $9.99 on iOS too, add 30%, get... $12.99.

Makes sense to me.

Plus, I get the added entertainment of nerds losing their poo poo over this.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TinTower posted:

Google is rich enough to shoulder the $3 lost on each subscription.

It's basically complaining about a policy that you also impose on others, in the most ham-fisted way possible.

Spotify add the "subscription tax", but do it to both Android and iOS. Google only charging extra to iOS customers is going to make their antitrust lawyers very nervous.

I don't think that's how antitrust works?

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 22, 2015

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Can't you just buy it online or something for $10 and not through IAP? I'll be honest, I haven't looked.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

maduin posted:

Can't you just buy it online or something for $10 and not through IAP? I'll be honest, I haven't looked.

This is how it is with Spotify ($10 if you sub on website, $13 if you do it through app on iOS). I have to think it would be the same for this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Youtube's gonna have to get some really drat good content to fetch that price. That's what I pay for Netflix and YouTube sure as poo poo doesn't have House of Cards which is kind of the benchmark for a streaming service at this point. HBO charges $15 but they have literally the most popular show on TV right now.

YouTube has.. PewDiePie? :laffo:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

they're going to make all the money from tweens and teens

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Youtube has the best content, it has PewDiePie after all.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
I have a hunch that it will turn out that the kind of videos that score well in a YouTube algorithm aren't the same kind of videos that people want to pay :10bux: for. Seriously just lol at that price and what else you can't get for that from other streaming services.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I think you all underestimate how big YouTube is and how many loving people use it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I appreciate how big youtube is and I appreciate that kids go loving bonkers for the low production poo poo that gets uploaded there by the terabyte, but that's definitely not worth $10 a month to me. Youtube is just low brow fluff to pull up when I'm bored.

I hope it works for them but they're messing with one of the core features of the internet and companies that have done that in the past have had a bad habit of being replaced by something else.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Legs Benedict posted:

I think you all underestimate how big YouTube is and how many loving people use it

And also how utterly stupid most people are.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I would maybe pay a dollar a month to skip YouTube ads.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would pay nothing for that since I can already do it on my actual computers.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Google is already being paid to put the ad up, what's the logic behind paying them again to take it down

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Google is already being paid to put the ad up, what's the logic behind paying them again to take it down

More money. It offsets the loss (and then some probably) of not displaying the ad. It's not rocket science.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Has Apple's very own Maps improved over the past few years? I've been a diehard Google Maps user but I'm not sure if Apple has improved directions and routes in areas other than metros.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Avocados posted:

Has Apple's very own Maps improved over the past few years?
Yes, significantly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Avocados posted:

Has Apple's very own Maps improved over the past few years? I've been a diehard Google Maps user but I'm not sure if Apple has improved directions and routes in areas other than metros.

I use it all the time. Mostly in the Western 'burbs of Chicago, but I did use it last summer as a turn-by-turn to my parents' house near Raleigh from Chicago. My parents live out in the sticks in a recently developed cluster of houses and it accurate map data. I also used it to get to House on the Rock in WI for a weekend getaway about 5 months ago.

I haven't had a mess-up yet.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I ought to give the public transport of Apple Maps a fair shake - though I live in the SF Bay Area and both their services are always going to be catered to an extent to it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I have a very long MP3 I want to break into multiple listenings like a podcast. Music won't remember my position. What's the best way to do this?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

hadji murad posted:

I have a very long MP3 I want to break into multiple listenings like a podcast. Music won't remember my position. What's the best way to do this?

If you sync with iTunes, you could probably just change the type/settings in iTunes to have it remember the position. Or you could try something like this http://thesweetsetup.com/quick-tip-create-a-personal-podcast-feed-from-dropbox-with-justcast/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Apple Maps, I just got notification that they added TTC information in Toronto to transit functionality.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Apple Maps transit data is literally built on Hopstop.

So if you used to use that, go nuts.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

flosofl posted:

I use it all the time. Mostly in the Western 'burbs of Chicago, but I did use it last summer as a turn-by-turn to my parents' house near Raleigh from Chicago. My parents live out in the sticks in a recently developed cluster of houses and it accurate map data. I also used it to get to House on the Rock in WI for a weekend getaway about 5 months ago.

I haven't had a mess-up yet.

It's a loving joke on or around Randall road. Consistently off two miles in either direction. Other than that it's been mostly okay for me. Definitely getting better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feedly now uses Safari Web Viewer so... no more ads :worship:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is good.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CaptainCaveman posted:

If you sync with iTunes, you could probably just change the type/settings in iTunes to have it remember the position. Or you could try something like this http://thesweetsetup.com/quick-tip-create-a-personal-podcast-feed-from-dropbox-with-justcast/

Thanks a lot, totally helped!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

What is a good car maintenance tracking app? Ideally it will backup to iCloud or some poo poo.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Neat! There might be a way to replace Flipboard after all!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

What is a good car maintenance tracking app? Ideally it will backup to iCloud or some poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

GasTracker+ is free and is mainly for keeping track of fuel ups but it can also be used to log car maintenance and also set reminders based on either time or mileage. It was a standalone app for a while but they got bought/merged with Fuelly so you can also manage stuff on their site.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Looking for a nice weather app with a Yahoo-like UI (not an exact duplicate, but something with a simple UI like they have) that will show me both celsius and fahrenheight at the same time. Anyone have a recommendation?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are there any go-to dictation solutions on the iPhone? I like Siri for basic stuff but I want to record longer notes/conversations and store them as text. Part of my concern with Siri is my data and battery usage, so I would prefer an app that can save the audio until I can connect to wifi later.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 26, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tankadillo posted:

Are there any go-to dictation solutions on the iPhone? I like Siri for basic stuff but I want to record longer notes/conversations and store them as text. Part of my concern with Siri is my data and battery usage, so I would prefer an app that can save the audio until I can connect to wifi later.
Every dictation software I've ever tried has trouble with my accent so I never use them, but I remember Dragon Dictation used to be the biggest recommendation. It's entirely offline too if I remember right.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Avocados posted:

It's definitely improved, but I've kept to Google Maps in the end. Seems a little easier on the battery, and the tipping point for me was last week when I put in routing to a mall on the other side of town. The shortest route involved an always-congested highway that's currently under huge construction, so I changed the route to avoid it, and it decided to lead me to the original route anyway for whatever reason. Didn't lead me into a lake or anything like that, though. Both are good, I just currently have more faith in Google Maps.

Also, just personal preference quirks -- I want pinch to zoom in/out of the map, not rotate it (why would you ever need to rotate a GPS map?) I also smile whenever Google Maps automatically shuts down and turns your screen off when you reach your destination. I do not like how Apple Maps occasionally tells you to "proceed to the route" (as opposed to "proceed to Nameofroad St.") if you put in an address while in a parking lot with exits onto multiple roads.

enojy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 28, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like Sunrise and Outlook are merging, which will eventually result in the death of standalone sunrise. The combo looks pretty good, hopefully they really beef up Outlooks calendar invite management stuff, which is kinda janky compared to Sunrise.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9627014/microsoft-ios-android-apps-sunrise-outlook-combined

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm kind of annoyed at Outlook because in the last few months I am not getting the proper popup announcements for "targeted emails" that I once got. Now I sometimes get a popup, other times a sound, and other times nothing. It appears to be a known issue and since it is basically the primary reason I use the app, I am wondering if they are just spending all of their time gearing up for the inevitable "365 account required" we are all expecting rather than doing the kind of upgrades and spot fixing we're all accustomed too.

I really wish they'd make a few minor improvements to Mail like they did Notes so I can do to Outlook what I did with Evernote and dump it (Premium for that matter).

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 28, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
What does Outlook do that the default mail app doesn't? I haven't felt like I've been missing out on anything.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dick Trauma posted:

What does Outlook do that the default mail app doesn't? I haven't felt like I've been missing out on anything.

The primary reason I use it is because it splits mail between 'directed' and 'not spam, but probably not priority.' It also has a slightly different system for uploading and accessing cloud files. Honestly, most else seems relatively trivial. There are minor differences in things like sliding to delete/archive etc.

There are tabs at the bottom with, for example, contacts. But it's almost easier to just type in "Br" to see all of your Britney and Brookes in your contact list. The files tab is most useful, but again it's just a preference issue rather than something most users will utilize quite often. In terms of the calendar, I use something else anyway.

Some downsides compared to Mail includes missing Force Touch, lack of deep search integration and the font is not as good as iOS native apps. Also, sometimes finding an e-mail means clicking between tabs, so you often save time looking for priority e-mails but then have to switch back and forth. The solution is of course turning off this feature, but then that's a major selling point of the app.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

What does the native mail app do when an Exchange device wipe command comes down from your corporate IT guy? On the outlook app that just nukes the data in outlook, but leaves the rest of your phone alone.