Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Well crunchy, fiddly combat isn't really a deal breaker for me. I like 3.X D&D and while Shadowrun is annoying I can handle it's questionable combat system. So 3E Exalted should be doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Crion posted:

lot going on with this font

Found the font.

THE ExalTed
The Solar exAlTed
The ABYSSAL exAlTed
The dragon-blooded
The lunar exAlTed
The sidereal exAlTed
The liminal exAlTed
The EXIGENTS

~layout~

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Tough posted:

Well crunchy, fiddly combat isn't really a deal breaker for me. I like 3.X D&D and while Shadowrun is annoying I can handle it's questionable combat system. So 3E Exalted should be doable.

It's crunchy and fiddly but it's the smoothest Exalted has been yet, so it's an improvement regardless. If you can do Shadowrun fiddly bullshit you can do 3E

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's crunchy and fiddly but it's the smoothest Exalted has been yet, so it's an improvement regardless. If you can do Shadowrun fiddly bullshit you can do 3Eanything

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also true, yea if SR is your standard of 'it's fiddly but I can make it work' the world is your oyster.

That said by Exalted standards this is a big improvement, and after some annoying 'getting to know the system' periods most groups should be able to run it just fine.

That said I'm giving it a day before someone posts like ten builds that wreck everything the game could have

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

NIV3K posted:

Ticks aren't complicated. Flurries aren't complicated. By no means am I saying that 2E has a good combat system, but I do find it to be far less complicated than Ex3's. Not to mention that it has actual combat steps that make combat easier to understand. 2E combat certainly runs longer than Ex3, but it is more straight forward with far less variables to track.

The point of my statement was that he said they gave up because they couldn't figure out 2E. Ex3 is far worse at presenting how combat works in it on top of there just being more moving parts.

Exalted 2e combat was utterly worthless dog rear end actually, just like the vast majority of it's crunch more complicated than 'roll dice, or use a charm to roll more dice'.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

fool_of_sound posted:

Exalted 2e combat was utterly worthless dog rear end actually, just like the vast majority of it's crunch more complicated than 'roll dice, or use a charm to roll more dice'.
Did I say it was good anywhere in my post? No. What I said was that it wasn't complicated, which it isn't. In fact, it's that uncomplicatedness that makes it so prone to OTP builds. You could run 2E combat on autopilot it was so straight forward. It would of course go on infinitely and be boring as hell.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm kind of pissed actually. The devs were so adamant that we not see what's in the box and close ranks.

Then, when the error riddled present finally lurches out for Christmas 3 years late, they have the gall to ask us to do what many volunteered to do from the loving beginning. What the gently caress is going through thier heads?

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
Exalted 3E, I too would rate Inyuasha and Claymore as classics on par with the Illiad and Journey to the West.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
It's a pretty book, that one poser art excepted :3:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calde posted:

Exalted 3E, I too would rate Inyuasha and Claymore as classics on par with the Illiad and Journey to the West.

:agreed:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Calde posted:

:yeah:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Hilariously, a fully bookmarked PDF just came out that someone threw together in, uh... three hours? Just to indicate how lovely their process is.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

RPZip posted:

Hilariously, a fully bookmarked PDF just came out that someone threw together in, uh... three hours? Just to indicate how lovely their process is.

This means their plan worked.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RPZip posted:

Got a link to that? That'd make this a lot easier

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Calde posted:

*Without a shread of insincerity* Well, yes.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
At least Claymore is relatively recent. Every time I hear some loser going on about how cool Ninja Scroll is I can smell the stench of the grave practically oozing through my screen.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I want to run an Exalted campaign based vaguely on Noragami.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

NIV3K posted:

Did I say it was good anywhere in my post? No. What I said was that it wasn't complicated, which it isn't. In fact, it's that uncomplicatedness that makes it so prone to OTP builds. You could run 2E combat on autopilot it was so straight forward. It would of course go on infinitely and be boring as hell.

...But 2e's combat is a total nightmare to keep track of everything. You've got to keep track of ticks, and having a wheel is just "annoying as hell" rather than "squamous writhing maw of insanity". On top of ticks you need to keep track of what people did in the flurry. During every tick everyone gets to potentially move. Mote recovery varies and requires adjudication every action someone makes, including their defences. This's just scratching the surface.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Got a link to that? That'd make this a lot easier

Yep.

But I'm pretty sure posting it here counts as :filez: It's not hard to find.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quote:

The Twilight may have up to (Essence) spirit familiars bound in this fashion at once.

gently caress. There goes summoning an army of blood apes on anyone who fucks with you.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress. There goes summoning an army of blood apes on anyone who fucks with you.

That situation sounds like it calls for neomah actually.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

That situation sounds like it calls for neomah actually.

Dohoho

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I was kinda weirded out by the billion familiars you had tho

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

spectralent posted:

...But 2e's combat is a total nightmare to keep track of everything. You've got to keep track of ticks, and having a wheel is just "annoying as hell" rather than "squamous writhing maw of insanity". On top of ticks you need to keep track of what people did in the flurry. During every tick everyone gets to potentially move. Mote recovery varies and requires adjudication every action someone makes, including their defences. This's just scratching the surface.

Not to mention, *everyone* has a separate speed value and every action also has a separate speed value. D:

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

spectralent posted:

Ticks are easy. They just moved forward. Everyone has a static value for when they get to go next. The combat wheel just makes it easier. Compared to Ex3's dynamically reassigning turn order where you have to stop and take stock at the end of every round.

Magical flurries work literally the same way they do in both editions. Non magical flurries just start at a lower accuracy and get less accurate, not that complicated.

Movement is the one area I'll cede in that Ex3 is a massive improvement there.

More recovery is simple. It's nothing before stunts. With stunts it's just 2*Stunt Level. And stunts are in both editions, so the same amount of effort is expended to process them. The only difference is the reward.

And that's it. Everything else is largely the same. DVs, Soak, Hardness, Minimum Damage, Dice Cap. They might be applied a little bit differently between editions, but they didn't actually change the base function.

2E is definitely crunchy, but I've never had an issue with understanding it or running it. It's just loving boring as hell.

Ex3 is more complicated, but with this comes a lot more variety, quicker combat, and ultimately it is more fun.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I was kinda weirded out by the billion familiars you had tho

Having a billion familiars owns, though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Movement plus the ability to put multiple copies of the same action into a flurry plus the fact that nearly everything you did as well as most things your opponents did impacted your DV makes 2E combat clearly more complicated than 3E combat, although it also had much clearer templating when it came to resolving conflicts. 3E tries to get away with a lot of D&D Next natural language bullshit.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I feel like the white text on the blue background at the beginning is really hard to read, at least on my computer monitor, it's probably fine on actual paper maybe, but then again, it ensures that I don't accidentally read me some White Wolf intro fiction, so I suppose it was probably the correct layout decision.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The intro fiction is the only good fiction in the book; read it at the exclusion of everything else, rules included.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

The intro fiction is the only good fiction in the book; read it at the exclusion of everything else, rules included.

I didn't read any of the fiction on the 2E books at all and guess what bucko, I'm not starting this edition either.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Evocations have changed a LOT from the leak, mostly for the better.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Ferrinus posted:

The one that's just like 4 paragraphs describing how a Zenith exalts was okay.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

*nods* it's already the only piece of intro fiction I ever bothered reading, in any book.

I miss the comics.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Movement plus the ability to put multiple copies of the same action into a flurry plus the fact that nearly everything you did as well as most things your opponents did impacted your DV makes 2E combat clearly more complicated than 3E combat, although it also had much clearer templating when it came to resolving conflicts. 3E tries to get away with a lot of D&D Next natural language bullshit.

Except you just activate a DV penalty negator and never bother with tracking those penalties.

And the clearer templating is a large part of what I'm trying to get across here. 2E was fairly easy to run after reading the rules. There were of course a lot of high level bullshit that you could pull off, but it was far easier for me to sit a new player down and get them started with how the rules were laid out.

I find Ex3 a lot messier without an explicit combat step progression. Far more charm interactions have to be house ruled because they don't have clear steps at which they occur/aren't specifically called out within the charm text.

I still think this is worth dealing with though for all the other improvement though between editions.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Any hint at warstriders?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So what all does the main book allow you to create? Just solars?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Any hint at warstriders?

They're in the first book to release after the core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Thug Lessons posted:

The one that's just like 4 paragraphs describing how a Zenith exalts was okay.

There's something very pleasant about a Zenith's Exaltation story being about how she wandered into a temple saying "gently caress! gently caress all the gods forever!" and the Unconquered Sun looking down at her and saying "Preach it, sister!"

Volfer picking a fight by labelling his junk "approved by the Scarlet Empress" is also funny.

• Locked thread