Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why I thought he was too smart to try to catch a falling knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Bag of Milk posted:

This actually happened to Santorum in 2012. He was polling 4% at the end of 2011 then caught fire and won Iowa. Every candidate thinks that they're the best and just have to wait for the crowd to thin out. It also helps that there are two unelectable goobers sitting at the top of the polls.

Right, i think that's the difference. Romney was stable at the top on 2012 but no one REALLY wanted him so everyone just got their turn to audition for an alternative. That's not really the case here. No one is really challenging Trump and Carson. Everyone just seems to assume that any day now the party will come to its senses and Trump and Carson will lose their support, and then its a whole new ballgame where Jindal's 1% puts him in the same ballpark as Bush's 6% or whatever.

But like with Romney 2012 at least there was still "the favorite" so when you couldn't beat him you dropped out. With Trump/Carson 2016 no one believes the favorites are real so they seem like they're just going to stick it out until they can't or until the entire paradigm changes.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Ideologically, this is the next step steering the GOP towards the inevitable Libertarian wing that makes them "relevant."

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Unless posted:

Ideologically, this is the next step steering the GOP towards the inevitable Libertarian wing that makes them "relevant."

I thought the same thing, then someone posted an interesting article talking about how libertarians aren't really as common as you think - they're just really, REALLY loud on the Internet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Unless posted:

Oh lord I'm not sure if it would be better or worse if the Republicans just formally handed over the reigns to 8chan

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Base Camp Blanket posted:

I eagerly await the disintegration of Paul Ryan's once-promising career.

That loving tanked the moment he said his favorite book was the Bible.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

At this stage I assume the general unelectability and terribleness of each candidate feeds the others to be convinced they can just break through any moment now.

I mean, what in the world could be driving Jindal and Santorum? Even believing God wants them to be President God apparently doesn't take part in polls. They have to be convinced that any day now Trump's bubble will burst, Carson will follow, and then boom they're up 30 pts.

You don't run for President without having an ego. Like you don't block out a year or two of your life to campaign and convince folks to give you millions of dollars without getting at least a little high on your own supply. Candidates look at "5% chance of winning" and think "OK great, I'm obviously the 5% here" because if you don't buy into your own exceptionalism at least a little you don't run for President.

Plus the net cost of staying in the race if you've still got like any money at all is nearly zero. So long as you've got the cashflow to make (reduced) payroll and can afford a hotel room to lay your head, there's no reason not to continue if you like campaigning. All someone like Rick Santorum is passing up is the opportunity to make some dumb Christianist movie or another, it's not like he's giving up a year in NFL or something. For Bobby Jindal it's this or going back to Louisiana. It's not a hard call if you can convince someone else to pay for it.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Radbot posted:

I thought the same thing, then someone posted an interesting article talking about how libertarians aren't really as common as you think - they're just really, REALLY loud on the Internet.

Anecdotally, there are.

There's a huge shift left when it comes to a number of domestic policy issues (drug war, gay rights, healthcare, etc.) intergenerationally. The only way small government pro business can continue to exist is to give up on traditional conservative social policy which will be seen as heartless unless "it's not governments business" line continues from Reagan. This fits very well with commonplace political apathy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wow I've been out of the loop...Vitter's in the mix?

Really?

Yes, and it's annoying as hell. Vitter has only attended two out of the eight gubernatorial debates. He's playing the same game Jindal did four years ago. The two other major Republican candidates (Dardenne, Angelle) have been hammering him for not being at the debates, and they're hammering him for his "serious sin". Unfortunately, it looks like his strategy will probably pay off.

The only possibility of an upset: It looks like voter apathy is at an all time high and only about 40% of the people will most likely vote. In the last poll, I think there were about 33% of people who were undecided with a week left to go. Considering that Edwards has the lead with 28% of the vote and Vitter has 24%, that 33% could easily swing one of the other candidates in the runoff with (most likely) Edwards.

But Vitter has the name recognition, and Louisiana already re-elected him in 2010, so I can easily see him making the runoff election. And if people just pull the lever for R in a deep red state, Welcome Governor Vitter.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Stay classy, Paul LePage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgrWXTV_lGw

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

Its a failure for the Republicans. They've had nothing new to present, Hillary's kept her cool, repeated Republicans have been relegated to yelling at Hillary as she calmly refutes them, and they spent a long time whining about Sydney Blumenthal which led to everyone on TV (and in the hearing) ask what he has to do with Benghazi (and for yucks had the Republicans vote against releasing his testimony to the public). Even Fox News is calling it a "strong performance" from Hillary that gives her the PR edge on the issue.

But they also think she's an evil lying bitch and the FBI will nail her.
Gowdy has also refused to answer as to why he's obsessing over Clinton's emails that have nothing to do with Benghazi when there is an entire other investigation already underway involving those.

And yeah, it was painfully obvious that they had nothing new going into this hearing, but decided to take their shot anyway since Kevin McCarthy already reduced whatever legitimacy this panel had to zero with his comments.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silly Burrito posted:

Yes, and it's annoying as hell. Vitter has only attended two out of the eight gubernatorial debates. He's playing the same game Jindal did four years ago. The two other major Republican candidates (Dardenne, Angelle) have been hammering him for not being at the debates, and they're hammering him for his "serious sin". Unfortunately, it looks like his strategy will probably pay off.

The only possibility of an upset: It looks like voter apathy is at an all time high and only about 40% of the people will most likely vote. In the last poll, I think there were about 33% of people who were undecided with a week left to go. Considering that Edwards has the lead with 28% of the vote and Vitter has 24%, that 33% could easily swing one of the other candidates in the runoff with (most likely) Edwards.

But Vitter has the name recognition, and Louisiana already re-elected him in 2010, so I can easily see him making the runoff election. And if people just pull the lever for R in a deep red state, Welcome Governor Vitter.

I legit miss Louisiana politics so much.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Uh... Cummings just tore. It. Up. In the hearing. gently caress a Trey Gowdy.

E: Hillary moral high grounding successfully and the GOP forced to defend the formation of the meeting over and over

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 23, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How is this still going on

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FlamingLiberal posted:

How is this still going on

I've got no idea but I hope it goes on for at least another half hour since I may try to swing by to see it in person.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What? Hillary started at 10 am and it's still going on?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this the seventh or eighth unsuccessful Benghazi hearing? I lost count.

Edit: actually I guess you could consider the previous ones successful if their goal was to create the conditions to allow another Benghazi hearing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Eighth.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Edit: actually I guess you could consider the previous ones successful if their goal was to create the conditions to allow another Benghazi hearing.

Memetic theory in action

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also remember that Gowdy gave Hillary the option of testifying behind closed doors and she was like, "Nah".

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

zoux posted:

Also remember that Gowdy gave Hillary the option of testifying behind closed doors and she was like, "Nah".

I have no idea how she, or any other human being on the planet, could hold their composure for this long without giving them a loving thing. She called him on his poo poo and knocked it (is knocking it currently) out of the park.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
A lot of the stateme-er, questions are loving retarded, I don't know how anyone could call this anything but a sham.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Teflon Don posted:

A lot of the stateme-er, questions are loving retarded, I don't know how anyone could call this anything but a sham.
It seems to be one of those things where everyone can know it's a sham and it can still fulfill its purpose.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

I have no idea how she, or any other human being on the planet, could hold their composure for this long without giving them a loving thing. She called him on his poo poo and knocked it (is knocking it currently) out of the park.

Yeah it really is a showcase for her to exhibit competency and composure under fire. GJ Congressional Republicans.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

On Terra Firma posted:

This is what the Clintons are like. She and Bill are a perfect match for each other.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
She is absolutely crushing it and it is good TV

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Samurai Sanders posted:

It seems to be one of those things where everyone can know it's a sham and it can still fulfill its purpose.

And the media will still call it a he-said/she-said thing with no winners.

No one who matters is watching this thing. Fox and the other right-wing outlets will somehow make it into a success. HuffPo and others will call it a failure, and as always, everyone will know deep in their heart that "the truth is in the middle."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No one who matters is watching this thing. Fox and the other right-wing outlets will somehow make it into a success. HuffPo and others will call it a failure, and as always, everyone will know deep in their heart that "the truth is in the middle."

That's all still a win for the Democrats, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well I'm unfortunately living in a house which blares FOX news right now, and one of the various angry white men promised me that Hillary would go to jail over this, so I expect the sentencing is next :downs:.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

What? Hillary started at 10 am and it's still going on?

It lasted 11 hours and the last questioner of the night was covered in a layer of hideous sweat as he tried to trick Hillary (who still looked fresh as a daisy) into a gotcha question by raising his voice and talking over her. The optics were disastrous for the GOP, we'll have to see if the spin machine can muster any kind of win for them.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

lol Hillary Rodham Clinton is going to be the next President of the United States.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
ok that was one of the most impressive political moments i've ever seen.

i watched almost the entire thing though so I may not be entirely sane.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't recall in all the hours I watched today of a moment when she didn't answer their questions in a calm and collected manner. There is no way anyone can claim that the truth is in the middle with this. If they can't nail her after 11 hours then they have nothing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Yeah it really is a showcase for her to exhibit competency and composure under fire. GJ Congressional Republicans.

and at the absolute least, it won her all kind of support /from/ democrats

because her line is going to be "you want /me/ fighting these bastards"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't recall in all the hours I watched today of a moment when she didn't answer their questions in a calm and collected manner. There is no way anyone can claim that the truth is in the middle with this. If they can't nail her after 11 hours then they have nothing.

she got terse twice, and it was when they tried to demean people under her

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

It lasted 11 hours and the last questioner of the night was covered in a layer of hideous sweat as he tried to trick Hillary (who still looked fresh as a daisy) into a gotcha question by raising his voice and talking over her. The optics were disastrous for the GOP, we'll have to see if the spin machine can muster any kind of win for them.

don't forget right at the end when she started coughing, her voice gave out, the chairman asked her if she wanted a break, and she managed to whisper "no".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And I do :kiddo:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SedanChair posted:

Remember the exact moment when it happened?

At the next SOTU, Obama should start by playing the entire video of the 2012 VP debate while Ryan sits there on camera next to Biden in a PIP window.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

Well I'm unfortunately living in a house which blares FOX news right now, and one of the various angry white men promised me that Hillary would go to jail over this, so I expect the sentencing is next :downs:.

Ask him when and then make a very large bet in front of everyone. Challenge his manhood and shame him if he refuses.

E: Cummings is so obviously experienced at this, it's almost breathtaking watching him negotiate, interject, and grand stand at all the right times. He does it so well.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I've gone from Team Bernie to earmarking a Hilary donation into my next paycheck. Hilary just proved her Presidental/Political operator bona fides in a huge way.

• Locked thread