Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The word warstriders appears three times in the book. At no point are they explained, stated or even described.

I'm pretty happy that Thousand Courtesan Ways is in the book, now my Dio Brando PC is viable, though since this book only lets you make Solars I can see issues arising.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
One big step closer, to dragonblooded :getin:

Also I like to pretend the plagiarized Kejak piece is him breaking the fourth wall and admiring real world videogames.

Chejop Kejak, true gamer

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 23, 2015

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Lol

https://twitter.com/holdenshearer/status/657349533932752896

https://twitter.com/holdenshearer/status/657349661586407424

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OK which of you mugs had your backer name as "Happyelf Was Right"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

NIV3K posted:

Except you just activate a DV penalty negator and never bother with tracking those penalties.

And the clearer templating is a large part of what I'm trying to get across here. 2E was fairly easy to run after reading the rules. There were of course a lot of high level bullshit that you could pull off, but it was far easier for me to sit a new player down and get them started with how the rules were laid out.

I find Ex3 a lot messier without an explicit combat step progression. Far more charm interactions have to be house ruled because they don't have clear steps at which they occur/aren't specifically called out within the charm text.

I still think this is worth dealing with though for all the other improvement though between editions.

Which DV penalty negator? The one you had to activate separately for each of your opponent's four or five actions, or the one that you activate ahead of combat but only negates a certain subset of all DV penalties, some of which are self-inflicted and some of which are enemy-inflicted?

If 2E had ticks or flurries, I'd probably put it ahead of 3E, but it had both.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

If 2E had ticks or flurries, I'd probably put it ahead of 3E, but it had both.

It also had Perfect Defense spam and insane glass cannon combat.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Someone getting hosed over their pay is not lol-worthy

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I mean in terms of how simple or functional the basic system was. It's not like 3E doesn't already have some out of the box insane deathflurries in there somewhere, but if you stapled one game's charms to the other, or removed charms entirely, or whatever, I'm always going to take the game without built-in, universal multiattack flurries over the game with.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 23, 2015

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Is... that the transdude on the cover, moaning sexually and showing us some sweet sideboob? Like, it's the same hair and the same belt thing the cover character has?

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Rand Brittain posted:

There's something very pleasant about a Zenith's Exaltation story being about how she wandered into a temple saying "gently caress! gently caress all the gods forever!" and the Unconquered Sun looking down at her and saying "Preach it, sister!"

Volfer picking a fight by labelling his junk "approved by the Scarlet Empress" is also funny.

I worked out an exaltation story with the zenith in my game and it turned into getting a literal letter of marque from the unconquered sun.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

Is... that the transdude on the cover, moaning sexually and showing us some sweet sideboob? Like, it's the same hair and the same belt thing the cover character has?

I've no idea who that is or what gender they are.

As for the sexual stuff, I think that's just you

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

There's something very pleasant about a Zenith's Exaltation story being about how she wandered into a temple saying "gently caress! gently caress all the gods forever!" and the Unconquered Sun looking down at her and saying "Preach it, sister!"

It's a pity that story's prose is so stilted and awkward since it's probably the only fiction piece ('cept the intro!) with a good idea behind it. Even if the Sun retcons irk the hell out of me.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Bedlamdan posted:

I think they're supposed to be looking up with weird milky eyes, but it doesn't take much to see those as heavily lidded.

What a weirdo for thinking that Exalted would be very sexualized though.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
Was Wu-Jian in the last edition? Because the city sounds pimp as hell to run a game in. Very excited for the new locations myself, typos/questionable art aside. There is some art in the book that you're like "Wow this is exalted" and I love how a lot of it is very brush stroke stylized and then there are others that just break the fabric of the mood and style.

Some of the art is super serious western art, then you have pieces completely anime. Just pick one. :/

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

RPZip posted:

I think they're supposed to be looking up with weird milky eyes, but it doesn't take much to see those as heavily lidded.

What a weirdo for thinking that Exalted would be very sexualized though.

I guess goons can just jerk off to anything nowadays. :/

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The mishmash of art styles is way better than their decision to put the page numbers in different spots in different chapters, which makes the book way harder to use as a reference document for no discernible reason.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Attorney at Funk posted:

The mishmash of art styles is way better than their decision to put the page numbers in different spots in different chapters, which makes the book way harder to use as a reference document for no discernible reason.

These pdfs are for haunting and seducing, not referencing.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Saying you're going to "flay" someone seems like a pretty poor choice of words for someone who would have been fired two years ago in an actual industry

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Bardlebee posted:

Was Wu-Jian in the last edition? Because the city sounds pimp as hell to run a game in. Very excited for the new locations myself, typos/questionable art aside. There is some art in the book that you're like "Wow this is exalted" and I love how a lot of it is very brush stroke stylized and then there are others that just break the fabric of the mood and style.

Some of the art is super serious western art, then you have pieces completely anime. Just pick one. :/

Wu Jian is completely new; it was spoiled in a dev audio blog during the Kickstarter, actually. My group plopped it right into our campaign with our own take on it, the canon one is a little too "Nexus but on an island" for our tastes.

The art direction is kind of a mess but I actually kind of adore the pilfered Legend of the Five Rings layout. They are easily the prettiest RPG books I own.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I mean say what you will about the poser art, but at least it's bad enough that someone cannot realistically masturbate to it whatever it's depicting, and frankly it should just be made standard.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I mean, there's a lot of good art and most of the not-good art isn't offensively bad. But holy gently caress did 3D Poser Guy screw up.

Rainfall
Jun 5, 2008
There's a Lunar Pirate NPC named Enemy Ghost, god dammit people what have you done.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I mean, there's a lot of good art and most of the not-good art isn't offensively bad. But holy gently caress did 3D Poser Guy screw up.

Yes, but is 3D Poser Guy's excreted fecal matter problematic? I thought not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

???? What is this

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Got the PDF, and I'm a bit miffed by the "Solaroids Rule, Terrestrials Drool" rules for Martial Arts charms. At least the text isn't awful to read this time around.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Bedlamdan posted:

Bedlamdan posted:

I guess goons can just jerk off to anything nowadays. :/

Bedlamdan posted:

I mean say what you will about the poser art, but at least it's bad enough that someone cannot realistically masturbate to it whatever it's depicting, and frankly it should just be made standard.

Bedlamdan posted:

Do you need a hug?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

???? What is this

3d poser guy is on to something and if it weren't for the plagiarism part, we'd be looking at the future of the tradgames industry! :colbert:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

TwoQuestions posted:

Got the PDF, and I'm a bit miffed by the "Solaroids Rule, Terrestrials Drool" rules for Martial Arts charms. At least the text isn't awful to read this time around.

It's just Tradition. They'll probably introduce rules to get around those limitations like they did last edition. I think you could either do a couple years of asceticism, or snort some coke off a god's rear end, iirc.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Smart money says that DBs will be able to undergo special training to dodge the "worse for Terrestrials" rider, but that they'll never get the "better for Solars" rider, while Sidereals will either auto-qualify for the latter or have some easy way to fake it.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

RPZip posted:

Do you need a hug?

Please don't try to touch me :smith:

Ferrinus posted:

Smart money says that DBs will be able to undergo special training to dodge the "worse for Terrestrials" rider, but that they'll never get the "better for Solars" rider, while Sidereals will either auto-qualify for the latter or have some easy way to fake it.

IIRC didn't the leak outright mention that DB immaculates can cheat the rider?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Most likely gonna be sutras for the Sidereals and Immaculate Martial Arts techniques (that were probably thought up by Sidereals) for the Dragon-bloods.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
This is still a way better martial arts system than three tiers of entirely different styles.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

This is still a way better martial arts system than three tiers of entirely different styles.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Well, it's still 2 tiers, but yeah it's easier to remember for me. My only complaint is that I think the Terrestial tags should be the baseline description of the MA charms and that Celestial should be the bonus tag, kind of like Mastery. I understand the core is for Solars primarily, but I think having to do that kind of subtraction every time you look at the charm is kind of annoying when you're playing a Dragon-blood.

Also the art for the entire MA and Sorcery section is really good.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
so when/how can non-backers buy this drat thing? i missed the kickstarter cutoff

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

zeal posted:

so when/how can non-backers buy this drat thing? i missed the kickstarter cutoff

Whenever they fix stuff like the plagiarized art, the typos, and the one pic covering up the text. And hopefully the plagiarist is 3d poser guy and we can just, iunno, replace his poo poo with 2E or 1E stuff

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

zeal posted:

Kind of stuck in the realm of :filez: for an indeterminate time until they fix it if you aren't a Kickstarter backer.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
So... the true question. When is the next Trad Game post coming up? I haven't dived more then 10 pages in, I have to study other things first, but I am ready to jump head first into trying this. Exalted has always been my favorite game, with all its faults, its still a crazy cool world.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SunAndSpring posted:

Kind of stuck in the realm of :filez: for an indeterminate time until they fix it if you aren't a Kickstarter backer.

One day Onyx Path will provide a legal way to obtain this book in a sane fashion, and I will buy it. Today is not that day.

e:

Bardlebee posted:

So... the true question. When is the next Trad Game post coming up? I haven't dived more then 10 pages in, I have to study other things first, but I am ready to jump head first into trying this. Exalted has always been my favorite game, with all its faults, its still a crazy cool world.

and lmao if you haven't been playing 3E for months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

He was right though.

• Locked thread