Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

jonathan posted:

I thought the ford rs200 caused the end of the group B era
Nah, Lancia Delta was the final nail in the coffin.

Helicon One posted:

Is dirt rally finished yet or are they doing the whole Eternal Beta thing?
I wish, but we're almost done. Next month adding the Sweden Rally is the end of announced content being added as part of Early Access. As far as I've seen, they've been mum about what's after that.

I'm sure many would be thrilled for them to continue to pump out free content monthly, but I'd assume things will get a little more complicated once it's officially released.

Was pretty worth the $30 back when it hit Early Access; definitely worth it now if you like rally racing and maybe even if not just as a different alternative to all the other circuit racers out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

jonathan posted:

I thought the ford rs200 caused the end of the group B era

honestly i think all of the cars contributed in some way

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

real_scud posted:

Yup, and for people who don't have wheels or don't want to lug theirs out of the closet you can play it decently with a controller. Sure you may not set the fastest times overall but it's still a boatload of fun.
not the fastest times??

hi hello its me, the guy setting top 50 stage times with a gamepad

nice to meet you

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SealHammer posted:

not the fastest times??

nice to meet you

But you're not setting the fastest times. :colbert:

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010

njsykora posted:

But you're not setting the fastest times. :colbert:

neither are 99% of wheel users :smugbert:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Gamepads make a lot of sense for rally racing actually. The driving is generally pretty twitchy so the smaller distance you have to cover with the thumbstick helps with countersteer and stuff.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
^^ So glad they agreed to Season 3 of Halt & Catch Fire.

SealHammer posted:

neither are 99% of wheel users :smugbert:

Can confirm :(

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 23, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I don't care about fast times, I care about getting my car across the finish line with more than 2 wheels attached.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is Dirt 3 competent in delivering some fun?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is Dirt 3 competent in delivering some fun?

Yes but get Dirt Rally

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

IceAgeComing posted:

it has all the good lancias; including the fulvia which lots of past rally games forgot about

the delta s4 is the best one; mostly because its the most mental car ever built. it took the turbocharged engine from the 037 and whacked a supercharger on it which could deliver up to 600HP if tuned for max power; and put it in a car with almost no crash protection. the end of group b was sad, but honestly expected with how crazy it got
I'm almost sure you can find a decent Lancia Delta mod for RBR, but I KNOW you can't find a Stratos one.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

SealHammer posted:

not the fastest times??

nice to meet you
I'm also sure if L_Harisson did rally games he'd be up in the top 5 for everything and he mostly races with a gamepad, I'm just saying sometimes rally games aren't really setup to use a gamepad decently and DIRT Rally isn't that game.

I love it because I don't always want to get out my wheel and take the time to set it up but using my Xbox One controller is great and works flawlessly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

So I realize I've read tons of guides, tutorials and whatnot on racing lines, acceleration, braking, pacenotes, passing and all manner of things, but I've never really read a good guide on shifting, or gears in general. Any recommendations?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

low gear torque, high gear speed, shift down if revs too low, shift up if revs going to redline

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, there aren't guides because it's not complicated. Something that is interesting with shifting is watching someone like Senna back when F1 cars still used a stick and he choose when to shift to enable to have both hands on the wheel when he needed it. With paddles now thigh you just shift optimally always.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Watch Weekend of a Champion. It's a documentary about a weekend of F1 in Monaco with Jackie Stewart. In addition to his driving style, he also talks about how he shifts. Specifically he mentions that many drivers will shift down into the power band in a corner but then immediately have to shift up again costing them time. He says he typically stays a gear higher than most other people but he's able to go just as fast because he's not shifting two more times like everyone else. He ends up with more room to rev up. This really only work for H pattern shifting as hitting a paddle doesn't really slow you down. But if you're driving the miata, and you have the choice of being high in the power band but near the rev limiter or lower in the power band but plenty of room before the limiter, you're probably better off with the second choice.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah I guess I know it's not very complicated, but I'm always looking for those little "oh of course that's more obvious!" moments.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah I guess I know it's not very complicated, but I'm always looking for those little "oh of course that's more obvious!" moments.

Basically what gear to be in for a corner is something you find during testing without even thinking about it, and in most sims there's no transmission damage model so you can just abuse the gently caress out of the gearbox on downshifts.

E: There's a Codemasters sale running on Steam right now, so the F1, GRID and DIRT games are all on sale including Dirt Rally being 33% off.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 24, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Still waiting on on a sale for Project Cars, GreenmanGaming has no stock at the moment.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Has anyone experienced CTDs in Dirt Rally when alt-tabbing? I just lost a beautiful lap in Germany because the game decided to crash when I paused to check on something outside the game, and I'm wondering if it was just a freak beta occurrence or if I should be extra careful about alt-tabbing in this game.

njsykora posted:

Basically what gear to be in for a corner is something you find during testing without even thinking about it, and in most sims there's no transmission damage model so you can just abuse the gently caress out of the gearbox on downshifts.

I've wrecked the engine during shifting a couple of times in Asetto Corsa, so I think it counts there.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Has anyone experienced CTDs in Dirt Rally when alt-tabbing? I just lost a beautiful lap in Germany because the game decided to crash when I paused to check on something outside the game, and I'm wondering if it was just a freak beta occurrence or if I should be extra careful about alt-tabbing in this game.

I've wrecked the engine during shifting a couple of times in Asetto Corsa, so I think it counts there.

Alt-tabbing in dirt rally works fine for me, never crashed, but it does switch out of fullscreen into a tiny window and I have to Alt-enter when switching back to it.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
I'm trying to enjoy AC, but so far I've spent at least 6 hours trying to find XB1 controller settings that don't feel like literal trash garbage. Would anyone mind posting the settings that work for them? I tried googling for settings but I guess things have changed in various versions and the values don't mean the same things anymore or something.

@dirtgame tweeted this today, stoked to finally get an Evo when they drop the "Modern Masters" pack. What I've really been waiting for is MORE SNOW

Edit: MOTHERFUCKER all of my car tune presets have been erased with this 0.9 DiRT Rally update. I guess everything is new again. Hopped in a 60's car and went to Finland, everything feels real floaty now, but I think that's just the course.

Oh wow did all the times get reset too? All of my precious top 100 times are gone :qq:

conversation piece fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 27, 2015

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Has anyone experienced CTDs in Dirt Rally when alt-tabbing?
Nope. Think I've had maybe one or two CTDs ever since getting it shortly after it was opened for Early Access.

FancyMike posted:

Alt-tabbing in dirt rally works fine for me, never crashed, but it does switch out of fullscreen into a tiny window and I have to Alt-enter when switching back to it.
This is super annoying. Probably should've complained about this on the official forums months ago: give us full screen windowed or just fully Alt-tab like every other full screen game ever; Dirt Rally's method is like the worst of all possible worlds on Alt-tabbing.

conversation piece posted:

Edit: MOTHERFUCKER all of my car tune presets have been erased with this 0.9 DiRT Rally update. I guess everything is new again. Hopped in a 60's car and went to Finland, everything feels real floaty now, but I think that's just the course.

Oh wow did all the times get reset too? All of my precious top 100 times are gone :qq:
Did they actually all get erased due to the patch or did they get erased because you haven't played since prior to the transitioning to their version 2 physics model for cars? Most of the setups got wiped last patch (all but Group B and Group A) since the cars behave totally different anyway.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the new physics models. I haven't driven a rally car, but the new physics models feel stupidly light (maybe realistic?) in not a good way compared to the old physics model. On the one hand it makes the cars feel more responsive, but, on the other, I feel like small bumps are much more liable to just throw you clear off the stage if you hit them wrong, ruining/ending your run.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

bUm posted:

Did they actually all get erased due to the patch or did they get erased because you haven't played since prior to the transitioning to their version 2 physics model for cars?

Same difference really.

bUm posted:

Yeah, I'm not sold on the new physics models. I haven't driven a rally car, but the new physics models feel stupidly light (maybe realistic?) in not a good way compared to the old physics model. On the one hand it makes the cars feel more responsive, but, on the other, I feel like small bumps are much more liable to just throw you clear off the stage if you hit them wrong, ruining/ending your run.

I was wrong about it feeling floaty, that's definitely just Finland. I'm in loving AWE of how much time you spend in the air on these courses.

I'm not going to pass total judgement until I've worked my way back up through all of the classes, again. Even a notch in either direction of ride height has made serious changes in the way the cars feel, definitely a massive improvement over the old system. I'm still routinely in top 2500 my first time through these so I can't complain.

Edit: they definitely played with the lightness, probably to make Finland the most fun. I have half a mind to start manually diffing every patch to get a complete list of the value changes. They love to sneak in new default tunes for cars, I've noticed a handful myself after complaining about the terrible center diff settings in 0.4 or so.

If anything the game is easier, just had a near flawless night run and got 121st globally

conversation piece fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 27, 2015

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

FancyMike posted:

bUm posted:

Nope. Think I've had maybe one or two CTDs ever since getting it shortly after it was opened for Early Access.

Alright, I'll chalk it up to a freak crash. But it really sucked because I kinda hate Germany so far, and getting a good time on Waldaufstieg was the bees knees.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Black Griffon posted:

Alright, I'll chalk it up to a freak crash. But it really sucked because I kinda hate Germany so far, and getting a good time on Waldaufstieg was the bees knees.

There used to be a nasty crash that could sometimes happen while trying to submit your score to the online leaderboard, I'm pretty sure they fixed that though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Alright, second time now, so I'm not chalking it up to a freak crash.

This is what I get, right as the race is over.

First time was single player, second was the monthly. Both runs are completely lost.

Edit: This time involved no alt-tabbing.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Steam -> Games -> Create Desktop Shortcuts -> Floodfill

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oh god that desktop. Triggered

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's like some people haven't figured out that windows has a convenient menu in the lower left for finding and executing software. It even has search functionality, just start typing and it lists matches!

As for the steam error.. it seems pretty evident to me. Steam is busy! I say report it as a bug or start a thread on the game's steam forum because there's absolutely nothing in that message for anyone to generate advice on.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Alright, second time now, so I'm not chalking it up to a freak crash.

This is what I get, right as the race is over.

First time was single player, second was the monthly. Both runs are completely lost.

Edit: This time involved no alt-tabbing.
There was quite a few issues with Error 41 crashes for months (mostly on game start so people couldn't play at all), but, by the sounds of patch notes, most of them were fixed.

The only known cause I know of offhand that came up in the Dirt Rally thread was caused by their C drive being near full capacity; not sure if that's been fixed by Codemasters yet. Think this has to do with the game creating the replay (see: a large file) alongside your run and it only saving if you tell it post run and this would crash it if there wasn't enough space on your C drive to store the temporary replay file.

I can't really say more since I haven't had any problems; your best bet is probably Steam discussion and/or Dirt Rally forums.

conversation piece posted:

Same difference really.
Kind of in that they were wiped. Kind of not in that any prior setups were rendered useless by the car physics changing completely so it was pretty logical to delete them.

Norns posted:

Agreed: it has Uplay on it. :barf:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

bUm posted:

There was quite a few issues with Error 41 crashes for months (mostly on game start so people couldn't play at all), but, by the sounds of patch notes, most of them were fixed.

The only known cause I know of offhand that came up in the Dirt Rally thread was caused by their C drive being near full capacity; not sure if that's been fixed by Codemasters yet. Think this has to do with the game creating the replay (see: a large file) alongside your run and it only saving if you tell it post run and this would crash it if there wasn't enough space on your C drive to store the temporary replay file.

I can't really say more since I haven't had any problems; your best bet is probably Steam discussion and/or Dirt Rally forums.

Alright, thanks. I guess it might have something to do with the replay thing seeing as it happens a second after I cross the finish line. I'll see what I can get out of the official forums.

GhostDog posted:

Steam -> Games -> Create Desktop Shortcuts -> Floodfill

Norns posted:

xzzy posted:

It's like some people haven't figured out that windows has a convenient menu in the lower left for finding and executing software. It even has search functionality, just start typing and it lists matches!

bUm posted:

Agreed: it has Uplay on it. :barf:

Well maybe someone is perfectly organized in their own way while also having the attention span of a toddler and requires every single game he's ever owned to be accessible ASAP, nerds. :smugbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Alright, thanks. I guess it might have something to do with the replay thing seeing as it happens a second after I cross the finish line. I'll see what I can get out of the official forums.

Well maybe someone is perfectly organized in their own way while also having the attention span of a toddler and requires every single game he's ever owned to be accessible ASAP, nerds. :smugbert:

So... this then?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
To be fair my desktop looks like that as well, however I don't think I've ever actually clicked an icon on it or even really looked at it. I guess I'm just too lazy to uncheck "create desktop icon" in installers.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

KillHour posted:

So... this then?

Do you really have to have both Dirt 3 and Dirt 3 Complete Edition installed?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
I thought you guys would appreciate this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gswv1NqsVpc

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

KillHour posted:

So... this then?

Takes like two clicks to bring up that, desktop is just win+d. That's like five hundred thousand more clicks.

Anyway, more on topic: What the gently caress is a Lancia Stratos? How do you drive this loving thing? Who the gently caress made this monstrosity? Why is it designed to spin constantly during every single moment of eternity? Why? Why?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Black Griffon posted:

Anyway, more on topic: What the gently caress is a Lancia Stratos? How do you drive this loving thing? Who the gently caress made this monstrosity? Why is it designed to spin constantly during every single moment of eternity? Why? Why?

See that first part of its name? That should answer all your other questions to satisfaction.

It's an insane car made by insane people for insane drivers, meant to be driven insanely. Also, it helps if you're kind of small.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Black Griffon posted:

Anyway, more on topic: What the gently caress is a Lancia Stratos?

the second best rally car ever made ever

the best is the lancia delta s4, which somehow manages to be even more bonkers despite being four-wheel drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can't forget the 037 Stradale which is the most beautiful rally car ever made.

• Locked thread