Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

fatherdog posted:

[url=http://mmajunkie.com/events/ufc-fight-night-77]

HOW DARE YOU

That's a one fight card and everything but the main is jungle fight caliber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I'm watching UFC 34 because I don't remember most of it and it seems funny

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Seltzer posted:

I just looked and there's not a card I'm interested in until UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Alves on November 28th.... gently caress

probate him until that date

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Chuck/Wandy was one of the few "dream fights" that actually came close to living up to the anticipation, even though it took place when both guys were a bit past their prime.

if it happened a mere year ealier it would have been easily the biggest dream match that's ever happened. its still gotta be up there though. and it is just crazy how quickly both guys dropped off after that

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
gastellum / brown will be loving incredible

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Was Randy vs Nog a dream fight before it happened? You would think two of the most accomplished heavyweights in the sports history finally fighting would be a dream fight but I distinctly remember most promotional videos being about the dean of mean.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

if it happened a mere year ealier it would have been easily the biggest dream match that's ever happened. its still gotta be up there though. and it is just crazy how quickly both guys dropped off after that

Neither guy had a style that screamed "longevity", but you're right that the dropoff after that match was sharp and sudden.

In retrospect the most amazing thing is that Shogun has remained relevant this long.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Dream Matchup Josh Barnett vs Bobby Hoffman II, The Awakening

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

Was Randy vs Nog a dream fight before it happened? You would think two of the most accomplished heavyweights in the sports history finally fighting would be a dream fight but I distinctly remember most promotional videos being about the dean of mean.

Randy/Fedor was the dream fight; during the times Randy was the #1 UFC guy Nog was laboring on the undercard, so despite his obvious resume most people ignored him in favor of the #1/#1.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Trivia question: name the only two fighters on this card who are currently ranked in their weight division by the UFC .

Darren Elkins (#14 FW), Aisling Daly (#15 WSW)

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Fedor would have thrashed randy

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I thought people said Steve Austin's podcast was good. Holy poo poo, that Lesnar interview was terrible.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Wild Horses posted:

Reza madadi still fights? holy poo poo

He just got out of jail I think

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dangersim posted:

Nope, but it would have been fun to see

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Remember when Fedor had to cheat blatantly to beat Matt Lindland

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

david carmichael posted:

its perfectly reasonable to understand i am just riffing on exaggerations of people calling it offensive for the sake of making joke posts. north filipino sea, yesterday being the anniversary of america giving munitions to IS, the 5/6s joke. i am just salty that all my best references went unnoticed

I noticed them, then ignored them per my anti fat soup people policy

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

colonel_korn posted:

Remember when Fedor had to cheat blatantly to beat Matt Lindland

i actually had forgotten about that to be honest

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Seltzer posted:

That's a one fight card and everything but the main is jungle fight caliber

I have good news for you, for Jungle Fights is awesome

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

Neither guy had a style that screamed "longevity", but you're right that the dropoff after that match was sharp and sudden.

In retrospect the most amazing thing is that Shogun has remained relevant this long.

i think chuck was probably there for the picking for someone like greg jackson for awhile. he turned from super cautious to absolutely bloodthrsty while he was champ, running in with no defense, a victim of his own success. wandy also I dunno. I dont think he showed up for anything as beast wanderlei after the cro cop/hunt era of his career

oh i guess they fought right after that but basically without roids wanderleis dreaminess drops by 30%

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

wandy also I dunno. I dont think he showed up for anything as beast wanderlei after the cro cop/hunt intravenous steroid drip era of his career

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i think its cool wanderlei fought, inspiring other people with his disease (addiction to amphetamines)

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Here's a thread for you to post about the fights you won't watch or care about

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3748062

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

To be fair wandereai got punched in the head a lot overf the course of his life, can't entirely blame his slowing down on less juice

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Goofballs posted:

To be fair wandereai got punched in the head a lot overf the course of his life, can't entirely blame his slowing down on less juice

not really. the cro cop and hunt fights were taxing, hendo hit him in their first meeting, vitor took him out, but other than that who really hit him? yoshida I guess. mezger landed a bit maybe. then yvel crushed his nuts only. He wasnt that beat up imo

to this day vitor, hendo, cro cop, iceman, and maybe franklin are the only guys who really hosed him up. rampage one punched him so count that if you want, leben too i suppose

im actually kind of sad wanderleis reputation has fallen so much. i think he should still be remembered as one of the greats, even if it was roid and amphetamine fueled. he could hop around on one leg throwing knees in the clinch and stuff hardly anyone did until UFCs 155 came back and started gathering wrestlers

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 23, 2015

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

He probably suffered more brain damage sparring at Chute Boxe

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

He probably suffered more brain damage sparring at Chute Boxe

yeah now him fighting pele for years then shogun, thats probably a lot of brain damage

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
imagine on a weekly basis you fight prime pele or young shogun for a three year stretch. jesus christ

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
im definitely wrong

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think it's no surprise that Anderson Silva quit Chute Boxe due to their frequent wars in the gym and as a result retained a great chin into his late 30's. Sparring hard all the time is bad.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

1st AD posted:

I think it's no surprise that Anderson Silva quit Chute Boxe due to their frequent wars in the gym and as a result retained a great chin into his late 30's. Sparring hard all the time is bad.

Do you think Rafael Feijao wouldve been better off without having so many gym wars but being a more reserved fighter, or was it better for him to be more aggressive and maybe get some wins through his offense that developed fighting all the time? Cuz I mean hes a guy with obvious at least medium talent, imo probably more, and he had some very nice finish wins that maybe came from that training style, but he was also hot for awhile and got cold, so I dunno what the gently caress im saying

there are so many fighters like Feijao who I was interested in for awhile then didnt pan out. Then theres rafael dos anjos

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
then theres super murderer robbie lawler who for reasons not supported by the evidence decided he already knew how to fightt and didnt spar for years before blossoming into the gift of viiolence he is today

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
There was a time I was high on Jason Lambert and Luiz Cane

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

then theres super murderer robbie lawler who for reasons not supported by the evidence decided he already knew how to fightt and didnt spar for years before blossoming into the gift of viiolence he is today

I was just about to bring it up - from the sounds of it (inference from that one interview where it's said he didn't spar much at Miletich), he worked on technique and that seemed to pay dividends later in his career when he was able to fight skillfully at the highest levels, but didn't have the gym wars that wore down his body.

From all that I've heard from MMA podcasts, a lot of camps are starting to adopt this approach.

Maybe Jon Jones is onto something, don't spar or even train and just copy techniques you saw on YouTube and maybe work on focus mitts for a few days.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Bundt Cake posted:

im actually kind of sad wanderleis reputation has fallen so much. i think he should still be remembered as one of the greats, even if it was roid and amphetamine fueled. he could hop around on one leg throwing knees in the clinch and stuff hardly anyone did until UFCs 155 came back and started gathering wrestlers

I don't think people write off Wanderlei as being a legend, his Pride highlight reel is among the best and that's not going anywhere. Just the past few months were the first ones he's had since the Stann fight where he didn't make an rear end out of himself constantly. I think him winning the court decision against his lifetime ban finally got him to calm down a little bit.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This thread is more nitpicky than I remember.

It is entirely possible that Wanderlei's fighting style, use of steroids and history of hard sparring sessions all contributed to a quick decline. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think people write off Wanderlei as being a legend, his Pride highlight reel is among the best and that's not going anywhere. Just the past few months were the first ones he's had since the Stann fight where he didn't make an rear end out of himself constantly. I think him winning the court decision against his lifetime ban finally got him to calm down a little bit.

Even if he is a bit of a dope he's apparently always really nice to his fans which makes him a pretty cool bloke in my book.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Bundt Cake posted:

There was a time I was high on Jason Lambert and Luiz Cane

I remember hoping Drew McFedries would big dumb punch his way into contention.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I picked McLovin over Semtex.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Wanderlei obviously suffered a physical decline due to his chin getting smashed up so much and going from an infinite to a moderate roid regimen, but to me his biggest issue is the fact that boxing in MMA progressed massively during the span of his career but his hands stayed firmly in the 1990s vale tudo box. His arms just affix themselves at an angle and he swings backwards and forwards, and the massive gap directly in front of his face led to him getting plunked by every decent straight punch thrown at him as soon as he couldn't recover from them anymore.

And when you talk about the guy's chin, you gotta remember that he got dropped by Sakuraba, it didn't take much to take his wheels out from under him, he just recovered quick and had a lot of chute boxe adhd medication to get him back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Wanderlei obviously suffered a physical decline due to his chin getting smashed up so much and going from an infinite to a moderate roid regimen, but to me his biggest issue is the fact that boxing in MMA progressed massively during the span of his career but his hands stayed firmly in the 1990s vale tudo box. His arms just affix themselves at an angle and he swings backwards and forwards, and the massive gap directly in front of his face led to him getting plunked by every decent straight punch thrown at him as soon as he couldn't recover from them anymore.

And when you talk about the guy's chin, you gotta remember that he got dropped by Sakuraba, it didn't take much to take his wheels out from under him, he just recovered quick and had a lot of chute boxe adhd medication to get him back up.

this is extremely relevant. i'm watching wanderlei / chuck right now for the first time and the technical boxing, from both guys, is dog poo poo. wanderlei is doing the bart simpson windmill thing with his arms and chuck is constantly and visibly cocking his right hand (however he is able to throw a jab / straight punch, which is 'great'). it's hard to believe how far striking has come in such a relatively short time.

• Locked thread