Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind that if Biden were to suddenly die from overwhelming joy, Paul Ryan would be President.

I wonder if the Republican House could get its poo poo together fast enough to do serious damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Joementum posted:

Never change, Matt. :allears:

11 hours for this

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Keep in mind that if Biden were to suddenly die from overwhelming joy, Paul Ryan would be President.

Can't Obama call backsies?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Something Else posted:

Isn't "hates Republicans the most" an equally or perhaps more dangerous form of ideological purity to "rejects big money interests"? How does her supposed hatred of Republicans make her more likely to get things done?

I don't want to turn this into a Bernie vs. Hillary thing, but in my mind no. Obama wasted a massive amount of time trying to get the GOP to actually work with him when the democrats controlled the house and senate which turned out to be a massive mistake and one of the core reasons as to why the ADA sucks as hard as it does. That and she's not that far off from Sanders positions so it's like I get the badass Voltron version of Sanders instead of just the Blue Lion.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Something Else posted:

Isn't "hates Republicans the most" an equally or perhaps more dangerous form of ideological purity to "rejects big money interests"? How does her supposed hatred of Republicans make her more likely to get things done?

Hmm, maybe you're right. Help me out by finishing this sentence. "A presidential candidate that would be more likely to get things done than HRC is ______"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Something Else posted:

It means she won't waste a lot of time trying to compromise with a party that no longer understands the word. The fact that Obama spent something like six years trying to work with House Republicans that had absolutely zero intention of giving a nanometer is one of the most common complaints about his presidency.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Winner is Jew posted:

I don't want to turn this into a Bernie vs. Hillary thing, but in my mind no. Obama wasted a massive amount of time trying to get the GOP to actually work with him when the democrats controlled the house and senate which turned out to be a massive mistake and one of the core reasons as to why the ADA sucks as hard as it does. That and she's not that far off from Sanders positions so it's like I get the Voltron version of Sanders instead of just the Blue Lion.

Remember when Obama and Boehner agreed to cut Social Security only to have Eric Cantor blow up the deal because he wanted to be Speaker under Mitt Romney? Good times.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sharkie posted:

When the debate participants were asked who their enemies were, she literally said "republicans."

She did. You know, people (like me) always talk about how guarded and circuitously precise she is but when it comes to Republicans she does not give a gently caress at all, and never has. When it comes to what actually matters (destroying Republicans) she is as blunt as Trump.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I wonder if the Republican House could get its poo poo together fast enough to do serious damage.

The senate would probably fillibuster everything. The worst he could do would be to undo all the executive orders for a few days.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Remember when Obama and Boehner agreed to cut Social Security only to have Eric Cantor blow up the deal because he wanted to be Speaker under Mitt Romney? Good times.

This is the example I cite when anyone says the Republicans have any idea what they're doing.

You literally had a president from the democratic party willing to go along with seriously damaging changes to our loving legacy, and you hosed it up.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

:laffo:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Also that one of the refrains of Bernie supporters and anti-HRC folks is that she's too far to the center and to willing to "triangulate" them away. So basically saying, "I hate them and I will fight them until my last dying breath" is good poltiics for her.

No one who is persuadable (that's really no one anyway) is going to mind her saying this. Reminder, Republicans built a dominant political position around "we hate Obama"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

I thought Senate guy was #3 in the line of succession.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Ha haha goddam

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That owns.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

sullat posted:

I thought Senate guy was #3 in the line of succession.

VP is first, Speaker of the house is second and Senate guy is 3rd

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Chris Murphy ‏@ChrisMurphyCT 50m50 minutes ago
Trey Gowdy just said that they learned nothing new today from @HillaryClinton testimony. Solid day's work, guys.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

smg77 posted:

Though President Hatch would at least be better around the holidays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpj4TqYGd8

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

Though President Hatch would at least be better around the holidays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpj4TqYGd8

i was tyring think of which one of those assholes was pro temp

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Trey Gowdy just said that they learned nothing new today from @HillaryClinton testimony. Solid day's work, guys.

So is he implying she was stonewalling?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I've been saying this since right after the first debate. She needs to get into a fight and win. She did just that. It is a bit self centered as she's merely defending herself and I can't help but feel good about wing nuts getting immolated. Now I need to see a fight that actually helps other people.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 23, 2015

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ornamented Death posted:

It means she won't waste a lot of time trying to compromise with a party that no longer understands the word. The fact that Obama spent something like six years trying to work with House Republicans that had absolutely zero intention of giving a nanometer is one of the most common complaints about his presidency.

Correct, and Bernie has criticized Obama on that exact point.

Sharkie posted:

Hmm, maybe you're right. Help me out by finishing this sentence. "A presidential candidate that would be more likely to get things done than HRC is ______"

Agreed, they'd be about the same in their ability to get things done. But Bernie's things would include breaking up the banks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Wait, so even Gowdy knows today was a total failure?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sounds like a normal day in undergrad to me.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

smg77 posted:

Fair enough. For some reason I figured senate president took precedence, since normally Senators outrank Representatives, but I guess the law can overrule that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Something Else posted:

Agreed, they'd be about the same in their ability to get things done. But Bernie's things would include breaking up the banks.

Breaking up the banks isn't a thing he's going to get do, even if he were elected.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Something Else posted:

So would Hillary's.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

zoux posted:

So is he implying she was stonewalling?

She was a goddamned brick shithouse out there

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

sullat posted:

Fair enough. For some reason I figured senate president took precedence, since normally Senators outrank Representatives, but I guess the law can overrule that.

Well, the President of the Senate does take precedence. :eng101:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Something Else posted:

There is a 0.0% chance that the banks will be broken up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Pick posted:

Eighth.

Eight committee, we are far higher in the total hearings count

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of the President of the Senate...

quote:

GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz signaled the Senate parliamentarian should be ousted or ignored if a full repeal of Obamacare is deemed to violate budget rules.

The budget reconciliation rules allow legislation through the Senate without the customary filibuster threats and need for 60 votes, but impose severe restrictions on content not related to budgeting, under a rule named for former Sen. Robert C. Byrd.

“At the end of the day, the Senate parliamentarian is an employee of the Senate. Virtually every Republican campaigned promising full repeal,” Cruz said Thursday. “And a great many promised explicitly full repeal on reconciliation, and we should do exactly what we said we would do.”

... wait for it...

quote:

In reality, Senate Republicans could not easily disregard an opinion by the parliamentarian that is favorable to Obamacare.

That’s because the procedural rulings are actually made by the Senate’s presiding officer. While customarily it is a Republican in the chair, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. is the president of the Senate. Biden thus could come to the Senate chamber when the reconciliation bill reaches the floor and make the procedural calls.

:boom:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Eight committee, we are far higher in the total hearings count

I think they said that she might now hold the record for longest hearing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Oh please god,

"No Ted, this is a Big loving Deal. Now sit down. Also glad to see you here for a change."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Please raise a toast to a great Democrat, Trey Gowdy's Barber, at your local Jefferson-Jackson Dinner this year.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So when's the next pointless hearing going to happen, which will ultimately only make Hillary look like even more the responsible adult in the room?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And speaking of the President Pro Tem, here's the third most recent one ending a Congressional hearing with slightly more style than tonight's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeeGX_A8mo8

(Courtesy to Neil L. for this and the last article.)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Something Else posted:

I just hope you vote for Hillary when she wins the inevitable nomination instead of becoming a bitter asshat that would rather see the country burn

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

GalacticAcid posted:

Please raise a toast to a great Democrat, Trey Gowdy's Barber, at your local Jefferson-Jackson Dinner this year.

Hey man if you were warring against that forehead you'd be willing to try anything too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can you imagine the level of contempt Daniel Inouye must have had for Oliver North

• Locked thread