Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

:downs: "So, I'm an rear end in a top hat, huh?"
:v: "Pretty much."
:downs: "Hmm"

And that was the end of it.

I wonder if I could pull a George Costanza and just keep trying as hard as I can to get fired but keep getting promoted, instead.

*While driving in a circle in the parking lot...Buffalo NAS, I guess, tied to the back bumper, dragging behind car*
[Said on megaphone]
Attention CE and management morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is larchesdanrew. I fear no reprisal. Extension five-one-seven-oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
User calls in reporting dead computer. Somebody at the desk handles it and escalates to me because he can't get her to do any physical troubleshooting herself. Monitor says no connection and when asked to unplug the monitor and plug it back in she just goes "there's a whole bunch of cables, I don't know what to do". No amount of description or hand holding will make her just look. Fine, be an uppity bitch. I delay my lunch and walk across downtown to the office. She's away. Go in and confirm the tower is on. Reseat the monitor connection to the tower. Would you look at that it worked.

Go to get lunch. Immediately get an email saying she came back and plugged in an external drive then the monitor died again. So can't unplug the monitor because you can't find the tower but can plug in the hard drive... loving lawyers man.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm trying to :yotj: again after my last :yotj: fell apart (note: people who warn about the company over-promising were not kidding).

Meanwhile, my wife's company is practically begging her to :yotj: to their allstar team instead of the team she's on. Does anyone have a link to good articles on what/how to negotiate for? I remember money, vacation, comp benefits, but I don't remember what else is to be kept in mind.

edit: more :yotj:'s .

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Ticket!

:downs: I'm not getting emails from [support email for a company we bought about 18 months ago].
:v: I'll send a test email.
:v: Got an automated acknowledgement.
:v: Let me send one from the outside world.
:v: huh. No reply, no bounce. Let me look into it.
:downs: ok.
--------
:v: Hey boss, whats up with this?
:eek: Well the domain expired 3 months ago, the expiration notice went to some dumb gently caress user who never checks his emails, we in IT were never told, and somehow the vendor didn't kill the DNS service as a final 'do something you moron' level warning.
:eek: Some fucker bought the domain out from under us a couple weeks ago.
:v: :hfive:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I don't get fired for always being at least three hours late and drunk, I probably need to learn me some SAP scripting. Any of you nerds know a good place to start?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I remember money, vacation, comp benefits, but I don't remember what else is to be kept in mind.

Paid education with the time spent counted as either "work" or PTO. Can be a part-time Masters in some related field, or just plain old courses that will further her career.

Education is an easy sell over here because you're actively adding value to the company.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 22, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

If I don't get fired for always being at least three hours late and drunk, I probably need to learn me some SAP scripting. Any of you nerds know a good place to start?

Kela

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thank.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Crowley posted:

Paid education with the time spent counted as either "work" or PTO. Can be a part-time Masters in some related field, or just plain old courses that will further her career.

Education is an easy sell over here because you're actively adding value to the company.

"But if you train your staff then they will just leave for a better job :downs:"

- A literal thing I have experienced at a previous employer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My last job talked about training but it was kind of an "on the horizon thing" the entire time I was there.

My new job just gave me a Pluralsight account :toot:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I know I'm late to the party, but really, guys:

Buffonelo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Crowley posted:

The "tapes in the back of a station wagon hurtling down the freeway" still holds. LTE tapes hold a poo poo-ton of data, and you can fit a lot into the trunk of a Volvo V70.
When I worked in the health sector we would have doctors taxi 3.5" floppies to us. It's almost the same thing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thanks Ants posted:

"But if you train your staff then they will just leave for a better job :downs:"

Which does make sense if your business model involves paying poo poo wages, since your employees will be more hireable and won't be motivated to stay.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

"Against stupidity even the gods contend in vain."

- Friedrich Schiller

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

myron cope posted:

*While driving in a circle in the parking lot...Buffalo NAS, I guess, tied to the back bumper, dragging behind car*
[Said on megaphone]
Attention CE and management morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is larchesdanrew. I fear no reprisal. Extension five-one-seven-oh.

The NAS is tied to the bumper with cat-5.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Thanks Ants posted:

This is why while looking for job around here everyting has "2-4 years experience" for entry level jobs :sigh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Cat-3. "Because we've always gotten along fine with 10 Mb/s before. We don't need all that speed. Besides, it will just fill up the NAS quicker."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

flosofl posted:

Cat-3. "Because we've always gotten along fine with 10 Mb/s before. We don't need all that speed. Besides, it will just fill up the NAS quicker."

Coax

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Haquer posted:

This is why while looking for job around here everyting has "2-4 years experience" for entry level jobs :sigh:

Apply anyway. The experience requirements can generally be waived if you're clueful.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

:allears:

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
So this just happened. The photo was included in the email.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Send a photo of the user manual back.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

This is the post to link to when someone comes in here again and says, "I can't believe people get paid to do this, I feel like a fraud, why is it like this?" Because non-technical people don't stop to gather information (i.e. the first step in troubleshooting), they just go into vapor lock the instant something happens that's different from what they expect from their rote memorization of a task.

It's still baffling that people can be this helpless and still find the front door out of their home in the morning. But it keeps happening.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Che Delilas posted:

This is the post to link to when someone comes in here again and says, "I can't believe people get paid to do this, I feel like a fraud, why is it like this?" Because non-technical people don't stop to gather information (i.e. the first step in troubleshooting), they just go into vapor lock the instant something happens that's different from what they expect from their rote memorization of a task.

It's still baffling that people can be this helpless and still find the front door out of their home in the morning. But it keeps happening.

But the door doesn't move man, it's always in the same spot and does the same thing when I turn the thingy on it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Reply back with an image which is just his picture trimmed down to "Load the tray with the requested paper" and nothing else.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

President Ark posted:

Reply back with an image which is just his picture trimmed down to "Load the tray with the requested paper" and nothing else.

Oh don't worry, 20 minutes later they sent a follow-up that a co-worker had somehow managed to sort out the issue.

Government work...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How is daily life not fatally dangerous to these people?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Thanks Ants posted:

How is daily life not fatally dangerous to these people?

I always remind myself that these people:

1) Usually hold a position of some authority.
2) 99% of the time make much more money than I do.
3) Vote

And then I feel like I've been professionally friendzoned and wonder what it would be like it I acted like a jerk.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

larchesdanrew posted:

I always remind myself that these people:

1) Usually hold a position of some authority.
2) 99% of the time make much more money than I do.
3) Vote

And then I feel like I've been professionally friendzoned and wonder what it would be like it I acted like a jerk.

You'd develop a fondness for buffalo storage systems to start, so ask yourself: is it really worth it?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hmmm...seems to be missing something...

Ah, there we go

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ozz81 posted:

Ah, there we go

Masterful. :golfclap:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

Ah, there we go

Holy shiiiiiiiit

I'm having this framed and hanging it in my office

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 23, 2015

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

I feel your pain, brother.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Internet come and me wan' stay home

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Internet come and me wan' stay home

Speaking of internet, my cable modem keeps losing sync or something like that. My downstream connection will sometimes be green, sometimes yellow, and about every 5 minutes I'll lose internet. I called TWC after 4 days of this poo poo and the phone person tells me I have a bad signal and that he's fixed it. All he did, of course, was send a reset signal. I tell him that I'll be calling back in a few minutes once the problem reasserts itself. It does, and this time I'm told that I need to get a new modem from one of their offices. It's a half hour drive each way, and the office opens and closes while I'm at work, so the earliest I can get over there is Saturday.

I sat and thought about it for a few minutes and said gently caress it and called back and told them I wanted a technician. It's not that I think the problem is something else, but rather I don't feel like wasting my time and gas should the problem be something other than the modem. Now I just need to hang on to my sanity while my modem syncs and desyncs every five minutes for the next day.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evobatman posted:

I feel your pain, brother.

If the internet not always come, then they should learn to be a better lover.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Or hooked up to an etherkiller with a sticky note saying "here's your etherblast"

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

larchesdanrew posted:

Holy shiiiiiiiit

I'm having this framed and hanging it in my office

take your internet nerd name off of it first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Oh don't worry, 20 minutes later they sent a follow-up that a co-worker had somehow managed to sort out the issue.

Government work...

Government work, you say?

From 1998 to 2000 I worked for a state agency as an application developer (woot! Or something.) During this time we got brand spanking new HP printers throughout the building. I was sent to training for these printers in our area. Not everyone. Just a select few. For training. For a printer. Not a multifunction printer. A plain, black and white, duplexing printer. Training. As in "if this printer has no paper, talk to topenga."

Government!

• Locked thread