Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sudo Echo posted:

Didn't skip timing, somehow.

I have no idea what's going on here as I've never actually seen a Subaru engine in person, but I feel like there's some weird fuckery going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

And that is why you should always replace the idler pulleys (and water pump, because you're in there anyways) when doing an EJ timing belt.

Oh, and the tensioner.

And the goddamn cam seals... and crank seal.

To be fair that's good practice on any engine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The cogged idler pulley at the bottom, right side of the picture (left side of engine) - the bolt mounting its idler bearing is supposed to be, uh, centered in it.

The seal failed and/or the grease ran out, the bearings failed and escaped, the pulley went lopsided and flapped around, miraculously the engine did not jump timing.

e: enourmo, I completely agree, but this is far from the first time I've heard of this exact thing happening on an EJ25/EJ22. In fact it happened to Terrible Robot a while ago, because the seller said "timing belt done!" but was a cheap fuckass and didn't do anything else at the same time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

And that is why you should always replace the idler pulleys (and water pump, because you're in there anyways) when doing an EJ timing belt.

Oh, and the tensioner.

And the goddamn cam seals... and crank seal.

And also take the oil pump off and make sure the sunken head philips screws holding it together are still tight!

Subarus are unpleasant vehicles with a really overblown reputation.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Slavvy posted:

head philips screws holding it together

no

NO

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I had that pulley let go on the forester (several years and another engine ago) and when it did it shot all the ball bearings out like a goddamned claymore, perforating the timing belt cover and one somehow ended up busting the rear housing on the driver's side foglight :iiam:

Threw a new pulley and belt at it and drove it on that engine for another 20k miles.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Not sure if he's right about them being phillips... I'm JIS sayin'

:v: sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity for a terrible pun

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

About 3 years old but this happened to me 3 hours out of town, never figured out whether the timing did jump or it was just CIS playing up from the cold weather but I managed to drive it back home while running like complete poo poo at idle. Lesson learned, always check the timing belt before buying a vehicle and driving it for a weekend out of town.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

kastein posted:

Not sure if he's right about them being phillips... I'm JIS sayin'

:v: sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity for a terrible pun

Triggered by the mention of jis right now so many stripped threads. Literally shaking right now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Triggered by the mention of jis right now so many stripped threads. Literally shaking right now.

I thought JIS threads were just metric and that it was only the head size (on hex bolts) and cross shape (on phillips/jis heads) that was different? I know the JIS bolts on AX15s/R15x transmissions are just M10x1.25 thread with a 14mm head instead of something larger that meets the ISO/Deutsche/ANSI standards, but admittedly I do very little with metric unless I can't avoid it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The only difference is in the philips heads AFAIK. Hex bolts come in all kinds of shapes and sizes with seemingly little relation between the size of the hex head and the footprint, it just seems to be whatever the designer felt like at the time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, there are at least four standards: https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Bolts/Metric-Bolt-Head-Size.aspx

ANSI/ISO, DIN, JIS, and DIN/ISO Heavy Hex.

MOST bolts I've seen match either ANSI/ISO or JIS, at least on vehicles I see in the US, with parts sourced from US and japanese manufacturers. I've not worked on anything of german origin but I bet their bolts tend to follow ANSI/ISO or DIN specs.

There are always exceptions, like reduced-head fasteners (may they rot in hell) or the true bastard poo poo like the metric-head, SAE-thread (or vise versa, I can never remember) fasteners used on some eras of Land Rover engines because BMW got involved and someone wanted to keep someone's assembly line tooling while using someone else's machine shop tooling.

As usual, in engineering - standards are awesome... because there are so many to choose from!

The fun part is that the standards MOSTLY agree, on small and large fasteners, with the medium size ones everyone actually uses being the points of contention. They only really disagree on what head size an M7 (only exists in DIN), M8 (JIS uses a smaller head), and M10-M18 use. Everyone agrees on M4, M5, M6, and M20.

e: the best part of this is that you can probably reasonably reliably use that chart and the fastener/thread sizes on a component from your vehicle to determine what nation was calling the shots when that part was designed. I bet DaimlerChrysler era designed portions of jeeps (545RFE transmissions, WJ and late TJ steering boxes, etc) use DIN or ANSI/ISO metric fasteners, I know for a fact that Aisin transmissions used in jeeps are almost 100% JIS, and most of the engine compartment fasteners on an XJ that are metric are ANSI/ISO. Most, but not all - for example the M10 starter bolt is a 15mm head, which complies with precisely zero of the standards, even though it goes into a Nippon Denso starter, and most of the bolts holding an NP231 together are 15mm head 10mm thread, which also doesn't comply.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 22, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That came up quite a bit when I worked at the shithole tranny shop, we had a policy of always replace all bellhousing bolts but we got our bolts from a DIN-compliant company, and Freightliner uses those special snowflake 15mm headed 10mm bolts on some medium duty bell housings. Hell is trying to tighten a dozen 17mm head bolts in reliefs meant for 15s with severely limited access to about half of them.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Right. I should have known that. I just dealt with it on a Subaru Forester. Note how the stud is not even there. I had to replace the water pump just to have threads for the new one.

Mine did the melt-the-timing-cover-and-depart-the-vehicle all 16 valves bent.

Replaced them, did the headgaskets, new timing cover and it's back on the road.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Boxer engines seem like such a good idea in theory, what with being balanced and smooth and all, but it seems the implementation always sucks.

Inline 4s may vibrate, but they don't (often) do that kind of poo poo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Vanagoon posted:

Boxer engines seem like such a good idea in theory, what with being balanced and smooth and all, but it seems the implementation always sucks.

Inline 4s may vibrate, but they don't (often) do that kind of poo poo.

A boxer engine is only acceptable in an air cooled application with timing gears. Also, every Subaru I have ever heard sounds like a bug with a dead cylinder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

A boxer engine is only acceptable in an air cooled application with timing gears. Also, every Subaru I have ever heard sounds like a bug with a dead cylinder.

Gravitational cylinder wear.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

veedubfreak posted:

I've been behind a guy with a Subaru that sounded like a deep-voiced wookie. I don't know what he did to that car, but it was awful.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

veedubfreak posted:

Also, every Subaru I have ever heard sounds like a bug with a dead cylinder.

I test drove a new Crosstrek and the whole time the engine felt like a washing machine with a brick in it. Having never owned a Subaru, I couldn't decide if it was normal or totally hosed. Really weird experience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EightBit posted:

I've been behind a guy with a Subaru that sounded like a deep-voiced wookie. I don't know what he did to that car, but it was awful.

Boy oh boy you guys should visit NZ. Subarus are one of the most popular fart can cars cause they sound just like a v8 yo!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But bugs sound like a bug with a dead cylinder.

It's their default sound

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure, I've run a bug with a missing spark plug and it definitely changes the character.

I also (tried) to run one with the plug wires out of order. I was a teenager, skipped over that part of the manual. Being told that firing order was important was quite a revelation.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

I am the Fram oil filter...

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

EightBit posted:

It's the Unequal length headers that cause that warbling

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Geirskogul posted:

But bugs sound like a bug with a dead cylinder.

It's their default sound

Hell even changing the exhaust they still sound like a high quality hand made chronometer the likes of which wouldn't be out of place mounted in the dash of a SUV.

7 years ago seems so recent, jesus.

https://youtu.be/T0WbEVAh5x4

6 years ago seems like something from a dream though :v:

https://youtu.be/dkiWh4VF8Fo

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Sudo Echo posted:

Meh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Just when I thought I wanted a Subaru :gonk:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

This kills the Subaru :chef:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It actually still drove and a few new idlers and a belt later, plus some duct tape over the hole, and it was back on the road. Also the older sohc motors were non-interference.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

1500quidporsche posted:

it was just CIS playing up

didn't read the rest of the post or look at the pictures, but I bet it was this

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nah Ive seen worse it just reminded me of using sharp things to cut through depressed looking crustaceans

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Besides the porosity of the aluminium, I thought the EA81 was a good boxer. OHV so no complex timing belt and the pushrods contained within so not a huge amount of pushrod tube O rings to leak. I mean it's nothing special but as an engine it worked well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slack3r posted:

I am the Fram oil filter...

Eh, the not-orange-can Frams are fine - and the orange cans are realistically still fine, even if they're over-marketed and under-built. Whenever a store is doing some form of oil change special, I'll go ahead and take a Fram TG or XG and not worry about it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

CommieGIR posted:

Just when I thought I wanted a Subaru :gonk:

Oh come on, name any car that doesn't need a timing belt around 100k miles. And furthermore, any car that doesn't have timing belt issues if ignored for way longer than that... People are idiots and replace just the belt which leads to stupid stuff like that.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Actually let out a laugh at this. It just wants to be free!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I never have much to post on this thread since A. I own a lovely flip phone after breaking/loosing so many fancy ones and B. very little shocks me any more. But today a 1992 Corsica earned a high score in brake and owner degradation. "Can you check my brakes? They are making a noise" Classic. The dude managed to grind through the entire front plate of his left front rotor and continued on grinding past the vent ridges which im sure didnt make any noise at all, and then proceed to grind through the back half of the rotor surface to the point it remained a thin sliver of a rotor a verified .064 of an inch thick. The piston was of course completely out of its socket lodged in the carrier bracket keeping pressure on the outer metal pad that was still sawing away with brake fluid everywhere. Im gonna try to get some pics off my lovely flip phone but i need to find drivers for whatever phone this is. It just has an att logo on it. Does att make phones now?

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 23, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No, but they're weeping to see you ask that.

Can't wait to see these pics if you succeed.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

EightBit posted:

Listen to the Nissan VQ in the 350z or the g35. Now those motors sound like pissed off wookies. Can't unhear it now.

On mobile so don't have a good sound clip ready, but seriously, it's uncanny.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Preoptopus posted:

I never have much to post on this thread since A. I own a lovely flip phone......

Im gonna try to get some pics off my lovely flip phone but i need to find drivers for whatever phone this is. It just has an att logo on it. Does att make phones now?

I used to do this by sending them as a picture message to my email. Just type your email instead of a phone #. Works on Verizon, should work on ATT since they use the same equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

didn't read the rest of the post or look at the pictures, but I bet it was this

It was