Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I just pugged ToS having never done it before and it was pretty easy. Wiped twice on Underlurker only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Medullah posted:

...you got past Underlurker but wiped on Commanders?

We wiped on him once I think? Commanders was weird, we would get them in the final stage, kill the twilek dude, and then mysteriously wipe.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay, so just finished the chapter nine, and i'm getting a strong sense of Deja Vu after spending so many hours playing Metal Gear Solid V.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is anyone actually going after the post-chapter 9 content with multiple characters? I'm really trying to think of a good reason to bring my alts through, and falling short. It seems like if you've already got all your companions and Treek or HK-51, you've got 6 crafters + 1 active covered. Sure having the other companions would be cool, and eventually maybe I'll go through KOTFE with them, but I can't see doing the influence grind with the large group of other options with more than one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

Is anyone actually going after the post-chapter 9 content with multiple characters? I'm really trying to think of a good reason to bring my alts through, and falling short. It seems like if you've already got all your companions and Treek or HK-51, you've got 6 crafters + 1 active covered. Sure having the other companions would be cool, and eventually maybe I'll go through KOTFE with them, but I can't see doing the influence grind with the large group of other options with more than one.

I'm sure not. I'll probably recruit the companions who aren't a PITA to get (i.e. The War Relic, The Kindly Old Monster, probably Stalking The Stalkers) because there's usually some nice dialogue that changes based on your class, but unless any of that optional content has meaningful story impact down the road I'll probably leave it as the easy companions and doing the star fortresses.

I think I have at least a dozen companions right now on my main, and there's undoubtedly many more to come.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Keshik posted:

Ok guys so there's an Alliance quest to recruit Doctor Lokin and it requires a loving shitload of Grade 8 medical stuff unless you're an Agent.

What you want is:

• Anodyne Extract
  • Metamorphic Cell Cultures
  • Hemostatic Gel
  • Autoimmune Regulator

Stock up now, sell for big profits next week.

Be warned that the second phase of the quest requires the Rakghoul Resurgence event no matter what so don't blow your cash if someone else has cornered the market, you can farm them up casually until November 10.

How much of these do you require? 50? 60? 1200?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, I haven't played this game in three years and I forgot how much ability bloat there is. Time to sort through about 30 abilities and figure out which ones I actually use. And as a bonus, I'll get to do it on my other characters too.

E: on the plus side, it seems that sometime in the last three years they fixed the "loading bar stops for three minutes on random computers with apparently nothing in common and Bioware blamed the players for not having good specs" bug.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 23, 2015

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to speed up the download on this? It won't break 512kb/s on the launcher and at that rate it'll take a million years to finish.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

comatose posted:

Is there a way to speed up the download on this? It won't break 512kb/s on the launcher and at that rate it'll take a million years to finish.

Huh, it was pulling 8-10 Mb/s for me. Might not be the launcher's problem.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Bruceski posted:

Huh, it was pulling 8-10 Mb/s for me. Might not be the launcher's problem.

I should be able to get 5-6mb/s but this thing is just stuck on 512kb/s. Sometimes it jumps to 1024kb/s for like 3 seconds then back down.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

comatose posted:

I should be able to get 5-6mb/s but this thing is just stuck on 512kb/s. Sometimes it jumps to 1024kb/s for like 3 seconds then back down.

It's the launcher and/or swtor's connection to the world. If you google around lots of people have the issue. Removing bitraider seems to work for some people but not everybody.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Did I miss the 12x exp boosts or will I get that if I sub before the 27th?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I think I found some future companions in the decorations menu.

Check it out yourself ingame.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm sure not. I'll probably recruit the companions who aren't a PITA to get (i.e. The War Relic, The Kindly Old Monster, probably Stalking The Stalkers) because there's usually some nice dialogue that changes based on your class, but unless any of that optional content has meaningful story impact down the road I'll probably leave it as the easy companions and doing the star fortresses.

I think I have at least a dozen companions right now on my main, and there's undoubtedly many more to come.

I'm in the same boat. I don't see myself running 20 PvP matches on all my alts in order to get a companion I'm not that fond of. I'm guessing that PvP will be a bloodbath next week, so if you're into PvP you can look forward to a flood of clueless newbies for easy kills.

A bit of advice haven't seen mentioned is that people should hold onto all the crates they get as mission rewards until after they have done all the bunker quests.

There are 8 bunker quests, and each one requires 5 crates. So you'll need 40 crates, and that's terrible. The game gives a bunch of crates as end game quest rewards, so it's not as big of a hurdle as it looks. Just that if you turn in all the crates immediately, then you'll have to go do the 2+ weekly heroics on levelling planets to get extra crates to advance the quest line. (That part isn't difficult, just tedious.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 23, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Givin posted:

Did I miss the 12x exp boosts or will I get that if I sub before the 27th?

12x is over now, replaced by a rebalancing of the levelling curve where there is a "critical path" of quests (essentially your class quest plus the planet main quest, except where one or the other does not exist) which will take you from 1-60.

However the old side quests are still around, as are heroics and such and still give good XP so if you decide to do them instead of the critical path you can level at the same rate (faster, if you do heroics with friends).

Either way, levelling should effectively be six times faster than before.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
Any EU goons getting massive lag spikes connecting to JC from across the pond? I'm trying to get back into this game but it's nearly unplayable, yesterday I spent two hours trying to do the SoR prelude flashpoint because everything was teleporting everywhere and I kept getting disconnected from the server. Any suggestions?

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So how single-player-ish is the new content? Is it really completely instanced, or are there still hub areas where you can run into other players?

Really itching for Tuesday. Looking forward to play it. I'm really excited with the new companion system, and currently levelling up a Sith Inquisitor that had been semi-retired because I hadn't kept up with the companion gear.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Can heroics send you back where you came from?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Baron von der Loon posted:

So how single-player-ish is the new content? Is it really completely instanced, or are there still hub areas where you can run into other players?

Really itching for Tuesday. Looking forward to play it. I'm really excited with the new companion system, and currently levelling up a Sith Inquisitor that had been semi-retired because I hadn't kept up with the companion gear.

Many areas are instanced, but you do meet people in hub areas. Quest things stay even if another player picks it up though, so that's nice. No competing for a quest objective.

Rasmussen posted:

Can heroics send you back where you came from?

Sadly no, but if you are a sub, get the quicktravel cooldown reduction unlocks from legacy, all three ranks removes it entirely.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Also you can just port to any stronghold and exit from there to your ship or the fleet.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I've gathered some bits and pieces of KOTFE news but have been trying to stay spoiler free. There is one important thing I want to know. So I guess you lose all your companions? Does that mean you lose Treek and HK-51? Do you get them back because they are special and Treek cost me 20 god drat dollars and HK was a pain in the rear end and cost cartel coins on this character too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DXH posted:

Any EU goons getting massive lag spikes connecting to JC from across the pond? I'm trying to get back into this game but it's nearly unplayable, yesterday I spent two hours trying to do the SoR prelude flashpoint because everything was teleporting everywhere and I kept getting disconnected from the server. Any suggestions?

Play on an EU server? My home internet is garbage but the game is silky smooth.

Did the first solo flashpoint and gained just over 3 full levels. Is the consular's lizard man especially good, or are companions so powerful now that they're supposed to be able to clear that content solo? I'm a new player, so it's not like I have any bonuses to things.

Was pretty boring as a result, but at least I can now stealth through most of Coruscant.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

So I've gathered some bits and pieces of KOTFE news but have been trying to stay spoiler free. There is one important thing I want to know. So I guess you lose all your companions? Does that mean you lose Treek and HK-51? Do you get them back because they are special and Treek cost me 20 god drat dollars and HK was a pain in the rear end and cost cartel coins on this character too.

You will keep HK and Treek. You lose everyone else, for the time being. Certain companions return during the story, but those are not class specific. You can get some others back after you do fetchquests for them as well, and I'm certain there are more of those to come.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

quote:

E: on the plus side, it seems that sometime in the last three years they fixed the "loading bar stops for three minutes on random computers with apparently nothing in common and Bioware blamed the players for not having good specs" bug.
The funny thing is this fix only went live like a month ago.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Gasoline posted:

You will keep HK and Treek. You lose everyone else, for the time being. Certain companions return during the story, but those are not class specific. You can get some others back after you do fetchquests for them as well, and I'm certain there are more of those to come.

As long as I keep HK and Treek then I don't care. Just which have blown to pay real money for something and have it taken away.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Many areas are instanced, but you do meet people in hub areas. Quest things stay even if another player picks it up though, so that's nice. No competing for a quest objective.
Oh, that is AWESOME. The one thing I still despise about questing in SWTOR is getting annoyed when other players are around. Which generally doesn't feel how a MMO should play. I assume there are still "Kill X creatures" quests in open areas?

(I like how Defiance and Guild Wars 2 handled PvE, where everyone was basically doing the same quest in the area. I genuinely got excited when there were other players around)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

As long as I keep HK and Treek then I don't care. Just which have blown to pay real money for something and have it taken away.
Yeah, Bioware explicitly stated that you can keep using both of them through the expansion specifically because people put in a lot of effort and/or real money to get access to them, so it'd be dumb and unfair to take them away. You even get some bonus dialogue in a handful of cutscenes if you have one or both... not a lot, just a few sentences over the chapters so far, but it's a nice bonus touch.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

They kinda put in a nice marketing twist: During the main storyline you get HK-55 who is awesome and funny as hell, and in the end he dies. I bet HK-51 sales will go up.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
After spending too much on it I'm a bit disappointed that the sith recluse armor is more of a dark grey and not a true black.

Still looks awesome!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Casyl posted:

The funny thing is this fix only went live like a month ago.

Did they ever reveal what the problem was? It seemed almost completely random in who got the lag and who didn't. High-end, low-end, different brands of different parts... we had so much trouble pinning it down as consumers that I don't blame them for not finding it, just for not admitting it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

dogboy posted:

They kinda put in a nice marketing twist: During the main storyline you get HK-55 who is awesome and funny as hell, and in the end he dies. I bet HK-51 sales will go up.
I still wonder why you can't just buy the fucker outright. Even if you can pay for the legacy unlock, the recruitment quest remains horrible and the expansion probably even made it a little worse.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I probably will with my 4 main imperial characters but I might skip the more anoying companion recuit quests. What I'll likely do though is to pick one main group per charcater to grind up, not all of them. There are some characters I don't care for so they'll stay in storage.

One thing I'm not fond of is that the companions that are currently gone from the story show up as holograms in SH, even though I can technically summon them. Makes the place look weird and ruins the pretty space castles I had going :(

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I'm probably going to go through Ch1-9 or story stuff without grinding a lot of other alliance stuff on other characters because I like the story :3

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is it possible to get the items from the Bounty Hunter packs or are they gone forever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

When I get there with alts I would probably grab some of the more interesting companions (and definitely my class' old ones) but I'm not going to try to grab everyone with any other characters, most likely.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Is it possible to get the items from the Bounty Hunter packs or are they gone forever?

There was a sale that ended just last week where all the old packs were made available again. They're no longer on the cartel market but look on the GTN for the items you want. Prices are high though.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I'm probably going to go through Ch1-9 or story stuff without grinding a lot of other alliance stuff on other characters because I like the story :3

Me too, but also because when I hear about all the alliance stuff my eyes glaze over.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

PsycheNotFound posted:

With the change of companion gear only being about aesthetics rather than stats, and the changes allowing companions to be tank, dps, or healing, it's exactly the way you want it to play out right now. Previous to this, even my healing companions were fairly terrible at keeping my squishy Sentinel/Marauder rear end alive let alone keep themselves alive, but now they're tanky and can keep me topped off at 100% all the time. It's fantastic.

It's the perfect time to give this a go and enjoy the stories. Jump in and revel in the dark side (or passively contemplate the light side, if that's your sort of thing).

I decided to go ahead and jump in. I just sold a house so I have some extra cash and I made a character in every class and unlocked the exp bonuses and get the major xp boosts for each of them. Decided to start with Sith Inquisitor and man it was so nice to be able to solo heroics and flashpoints. This is the game I've been waiting for.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

I still wonder why you can't just buy the fucker outright. Even if you can pay for the legacy unlock, the recruitment quest remains horrible and the expansion probably even made it a little worse.

I liked the HK-51 quests, except the terrible grind for the parts. But yes, from a business point of view it makes not much sense compared to Treek.

Edit: I think its a leftover from the days when HK-51 was the only premium companion and was ridiculously strong compared to every other companion. I think he was also not supposed to be obtainable below level 50.

dogboy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, the ease of unlocking Treek for your legacy is probably a direct response to HK.

• Locked thread