Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, if they wanted to nerf Packmasters, one of the reasons they're so awful is that they're moving and dragging you back into a swarm the whole time. They could give them a couple seconds where they struggle with the PC and get you under control, without being able to start dragging you yet, to give allies a chance to react before you're pulled into the tide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is defiantly a game where you just have to go :xcom: sometimes and roll with the punches. Game throws six specials at you right before you finish a level? That's Vermintide! Seeing so many people completely lose their poo poo over failing a level

Yeah, stove, I know

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The game has various hitbox and timing issues, especially with the elf's bow. Plenty of times I'm right on or a hair over the head and my arrow just magically fades into nothingness and I get stabbed instead. It's irritating when that happens, and it happens a lot. Needs some work on the color palette as well. Everything kind of blends together into a brown-grey poo poo soup of occasionally visibly shiny moving parts. There's also the needlessly annoying "whenever you get hit you're locked in place for 2 seconds and can't look around" bit.

And who the hell actually though it was acceptable to effectively lock an FPS at 70deg FOV? What is this, 1995? (fisheye makes anything over 80 drat near unplayable, to say nothing of the "rats in center of screen may be closer than they appear" happy fun times)

It's fun and different and the rats are a nice change of pace from zombies, but for now I don't see it replacing, for example, my KF2 "murder all the things" fix. Maybe that'll change when I unlock not-poo poo gear and trinkets and such and start learning the levels.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FirstPersonShitter posted:

man i guess the warhammer fantasy franchise has really been... left 4 dead

:captainpop:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Think I'm gonna stick to the sewer when I do solo runs, even if it doesn't have tomes/grimoires.

Goddamn bots cannot handle gunners. Any other is special is fine, but the second a gunner gets noticed the bots will beeline straight towards that fucker no matter how far away it is. If they can't reach it? Good luck on them ever coming back to help you finish the map.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Just had a run of Horn of Magnus where the host didn't wait for the fourth player to connect, and the bot immediately ran off the edge of the docks. Tried to pull the bot up, only for him to fly off into the water for whatever reason. Things went worse really fast, with an assassin, two ratling gunners, and a rat ogre all spawning at the same time. And the game just kept up this strange hatred with our group the entire time for whatever reason, but we somehow managed to win with one grimoire. Most fun I've had on that map, even if the suicide bot made no sense.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Was it an elf? I bet it was an elf. It's always an elf.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
That launch trailer is real cool. Saltzpyre pulling off some gun kata is the best.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dezztroy posted:

That launch trailer is real cool. Saltzpyre pulling off some gun kata is the best.

Where the hell is he storing 26 pistols?

E. Elf: "Ammo here, lumberfoots" *grabs a stack of arrows*

WH: "Hold up guys, I need to load and store 30 musket pistols"

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

TacMan posted:

learn to aim, use your sword more, and use the conflagaration staff; it causes no team damage with the alt fire.

gently caress yes the conflag staff is my favorite anyway

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Elf: "Ammo here, lumberfoots" *grabs a stack of arrows*

WH: "Hold up guys, I need to load and store 30 musket pistols"

None of your drat business, Sam Kruber

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Under his hat.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The trailer does a good job of making every character look like a badass except for the dwarf who looks aloof but very much enjoying the whole thing.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Chomp8645 posted:

The trailer does a good job of making every character look like a badass except for the dwarf who looks aloof but very much enjoying the whole thing.

He has a few like first person moments of brain crushing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They didn't need to hype the dwarf up any further. His in-game performance speaks for itself.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I feel bad for Sienna, she has the hots for Kruger but he is flame paranoid.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Al Borland posted:

I feel bad for Sienna, she has the hots for Kruger but he is flame paranoid.

Can't blame a man for avoiding a burning sensation.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
just picked this game up.. my god it's hard. I'm finding certain weapons click.. certain don't.. like the Arming Sword just doesn't with me but the sword + board does.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

TipsyMcStagger posted:

just picked this game up.. my god it's hard. I'm finding certain weapons click.. certain don't.. like the Arming Sword just doesn't with me but the sword + board does.

well the arming sword is an awful 1 hander without the benefit of a shield.

Basically a poorman's wanna be 2hander.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
While I generally agree that the person playing the elf is the worst, I had an elf pub drop earlier and the bot used the poo poo out of that quick bow with perfect accuracy. Every horde, entire waves would fall down with arrows in their faces almost at once it seemed. That was pretty awesome.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 23, 2015

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
anyone here dodged a rat ogre attack yet? Maybe i just suck at doing it but i was trying to get the timing right.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it known if there is going to be a four pack bundle or whatever for this game once it actually hits full release?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

TipsyMcStagger posted:

anyone here dodged a rat ogre attack yet? Maybe i just suck at doing it but i was trying to get the timing right.

Basically you want to dodge once he gets to you and begins his wind up. Let him get right to you then dodge.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Right, the spawning issue has gone way too far. Just did a Supply and Demand mission where we get a Rat Ogre, a stormvermin patrol and two packmasters along with a horde before we even make it to the apothecary. On the retry, we get a rat ogre and a globadier/gunner combo and a horde. We beat em just barely and proceed to the grain carrying part when another rat ogre spawns along with a packmaster, horde and assassin.

I get that some people enjoy being trounced through no fault of their own, but that doesn't make for a very fun or fair game in my opinion. Four out of ten or so games today has had my group alpha-striked, with two assassins, a horde and a packmaster bringing us down in ten seconds flat. 20-30 minutes of effort pissed away due to bad luck gets on the nerves real fast.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I think dodging his smashing AOE attack works if you do the backwards dodge. I keep accidentally trying to block it instead though.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Al Borland posted:

well the arming sword is an awful 1 hander without the benefit of a shield.

Basically a poorman's wanna be 2hander.

shieldless 1handers are actually great hth

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Rapier + Gun or big fuckoff Zweihander is actually a tough choice. I love them both.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Rapier + Gun or big fuckoff Zweihander is actually a tough choice. I love them both.

Rapier is probably my overall favorite weapon due to how fast the heavy attacks can come out and combo into one another, how easy it is to aim them for the head, and how well staying mobile and blocking with the light attacks works. Zweihander is real good, just I'd play Kruber for that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

BombiTheZombie posted:

Right, the spawning issue has gone way too far. Just did a Supply and Demand mission where we get a Rat Ogre, a stormvermin patrol and two packmasters along with a horde before we even make it to the apothecary. On the retry, we get a rat ogre and a globadier/gunner combo and a horde. We beat em just barely and proceed to the grain carrying part when another rat ogre spawns along with a packmaster, horde and assassin.

I get that some people enjoy being trounced through no fault of their own, but that doesn't make for a very fun or fair game in my opinion. Four out of ten or so games today has had my group alpha-striked, with two assassins, a horde and a packmaster bringing us down in ten seconds flat. 20-30 minutes of effort pissed away due to bad luck gets on the nerves real fast.

I have literally never seen the poo poo you're describing, let alone at the start of levels. What the gently caress difficulty are you playing on, cataclysm? :psyduck:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Zwei is my winner because I like clicking once and having an entire sea of rats just fall flat on their collective asses.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

President Ark posted:

I have literally never seen the poo poo you're describing, let alone at the start of levels. What the gently caress difficulty are you playing on, cataclysm? :psyduck:

Hard / Nightmare. This doesnt happen everytime though, some runs are so easy we leave healing supplies behind. The deciding factor is how lucky/unlucky you get with the AI director spawning specials and hordes.

My friend recently bought the game, the first three games we played ended with us wiping to a tripple incap + 3-4 stormvermin ambush/horde. This was on normal.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I wasn't able to do it with backwards dodges, but I find I'm able to dodge his punches pretty consistently by dodging to the side. Give that a shot if backdodging isn't working for you.

Do we know what time the game is being updated to full release mode? Have the devs said anything, or will it probably just be normal Steam update time (~10am PST)?

Dakammer
Apr 24, 2004
- Forum Bass Wizard -
I feel like they may have upped the special spawn rate for laughs as this is the last night. I just finished a run on normal with nearly 30 specials. We were getting jumped by (often multiple) packmasters/gunners/globadiers/assassins every fight. It was hilariously overboard, but every match I played tonight seemed wildly overboard compared to the rest of the week. So that might be fueling things a bit?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
How is this game? I'm on the fence a bit and I don't know enough about it to make a purchase yet.

I like payday 2 but I'm kind of getting tired of it.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
After so long hoping for a new axe/shield to drop for my dwarf the day has finally come. Blue rarity with extra-strong knockback and chance of stamina gain on damage. I could not have hoped for a better one. I"m knocking clan, slave, AND all special rats with the exception of the rat ogre on their asses. Seeing Stormvermin stumble and fall when I smack them brings a smile to my face.

Anybody figured out a best practice for Wizard's Tower final event?

Right now I have my groups splitting into two groups. One group has the Bright Wizard and knockback tank stationed by the table in the middle of the arena to take care of the two lower wards. The Wizard lobs flames at the rats as they climb up, and she cleans up the ones that start hitting the wards as well. Meanwhile the knockback tank bonks rats off the ledges and watches the Wizard's back. An uninterrupted fire lady is a happy fire lady.

Meanwhile other two-person team are roamers that generally go where they see rats (the upper wards mainly since the lower wards should be engulfed in flames). If the elf is in the group, she does well up on the upper deck, taking care of threats to the wards while the other guy takes care of threats to the elf.

If wards go down, we shift our focus to those we can salvage. I think we've lost, at most, two wards using this strat.

Now getting to this event with pubbies is another story altogether. If they can stay together for the rest of the level, the final event will probably be cake comparatively.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I once had the horn for a swarm go off during the cinematic camera pan when a level starts and we took control of our characters surrounded by rats. This was right when the open beta started though

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Tried a few games to get the hang of mace + shield on my soldier, found it very difficult. Ranged classes are so much easier to manage.

Sucks because I just got a sweet blue hammer + shield for the dwarf... 5% chance on normal hit to restore 5% health, chance to restore ammo to ranged (drakefire pistols) on kill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Noyemi K posted:

How is this game? I'm on the fence a bit and I don't know enough about it to make a purchase yet.

Very fun, but there's some balance issues around the special enemies that make even Normal difficulty kind of a toss-up. Sometimes it will be relatively simple/fair and you'll do fine, other times the game will drop in a group of special enemies capable of killing your entire team in under 5 seconds, then spawn a horde to give them ample opportunity to do so. There are also a fair number of bugs in the game, and almost all of them are to the detriment of the player.

I'm having a ton of fun with the game still and I do not regret my purchase - the 'feel' and general satisfaction from the combat is excellent. But if you are not actively craving a new co-op game right now I would suggest waiting for about 2 weeks after release (which is tomorrow) and asking that question again. If they get the special spawn rate under control and fix some of the more prominent bugs, the game will be a serious buy. If they continue what they have been doing (essentially adopting a wait-and-see approach to balance while fixing fairly minor bugs that benefit the player) you will be glad you held off.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Noyemi K posted:

Wait for a sale. It is a melee Left4Dead that apes it's predecessor but misses lots of the little details that made Left4Dead great. It also takes a lot for granted in the differences between a game based around ranged weaponry and a game based around melee and those differences have grown to form loving chasms of difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Brainamp posted:

Goddamn bots cannot handle gunners.

I never tried bots before, but I heard people in the thread saying they were okay so I thought I'd give them a try. I was maybe 10-15 minutes into a level when a rat gunner spawns atop a ladder in front of us, and a rat orgre spawns behind us. It just completely broke all of them. One bot runs around a corner away from danger and locks up refusing to move. Another bot just stops dead in it's tracks and stands there while the Rogre beats it to death. The third one would climb to the top of the ladder and see the gunner, turn around go back down and see the rogre, turn around and go back up the ladder. It just kept repeating that over and over. :bang:

• Locked thread