Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Noyemi K posted:

How is this game? I'm on the fence a bit and I don't know enough about it to make a purchase yet.

I like payday 2 but I'm kind of getting tired of it.

Its like payday 2 without the bullshit pay to win system. Also actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Elpato posted:

If wards go down, we shift our focus to those we can salvage. I think we've lost, at most, two wards using this strat.

"You had ONE job!"

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Sex Robot posted:

Wait for a sale. It is a melee Left4Dead that apes it's predecessor but misses lots of the little details that made Left4Dead great. It also takes a lot for granted in the differences between a game based around ranged weaponry and a game based around melee and those differences have grown to form loving chasms of difference.

I haven't played L4D for a while. Even though I can see that this game copies a lot of L4D idea beat-for-beat I don't remember what L4D has that this is missing. Are you just referring to the ranged/melee difference or is there something else L4D pulls off better?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Coolguye posted:

Very fun, but there's some balance issues around the special enemies that make even Normal difficulty kind of a toss-up. Sometimes it will be relatively simple/fair and you'll do fine, other times the game will drop in a group of special enemies capable of killing your entire team in under 5 seconds, then spawn a horde to give them ample opportunity to do so. There are also a fair number of bugs in the game, and almost all of them are to the detriment of the player.

I'm having a ton of fun with the game still and I do not regret my purchase - the 'feel' and general satisfaction from the combat is excellent. But if you are not actively craving a new co-op game right now I would suggest waiting for about 2 weeks after release (which is tomorrow) and asking that question again. If they get the special spawn rate under control and fix some of the more prominent bugs, the game will be a serious buy. If they continue what they have been doing (essentially adopting a wait-and-see approach to balance while fixing fairly minor bugs that benefit the player) you will be glad you held off.

Sex Robot posted:

Wait for a sale. It is a melee Left4Dead that apes it's predecessor but misses lots of the little details that made Left4Dead great. It also takes a lot for granted in the differences between a game based around ranged weaponry and a game based around melee and those differences have grown to form loving chasms of difference.

Ah, thanks folks. I guess I'll wait a bit (I have plenty of time) and see how it is in a month or so. :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The game is really, really fun if you have friends on comms to play with. If you do not, you are going to have a bad time as some MLG pro elf rockets off a cliff and everyone scatters to the four winds.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Sex Robot posted:

Wait for a sale.

It's currently on sale for $20 on GMG with a coupon code. That's where I bought it.
http://www.dealzon.com/deals/green-man-gaming-coupon-voucher#25-off-indie-games

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So I joined a game and this happened:

I was stuck in third person, showing only my arms. I could move, attack, shoot, etc., but I couldn't tell where I was half the time, was stuck in 3rd person as a pair of floating arms, and ended up running off a ledge (which ended up correcting the issue, actually).

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Gonkish posted:

So I joined a game and this happened:

I was stuck in third person, showing only my arms. I could move, attack, shoot, etc., but I couldn't tell where I was half the time, was stuck in 3rd person as a pair of floating arms, and ended up running off a ledge (which ended up correcting the issue, actually).

Happened to me yesterday 3 times in a row, I'm the luckiest man here. Also, after that I joined a game and instantly fell under the textures, I died and started waiting till pubbies will save my rear end, but several minutes later gun-rat managed to put our warrior under the stairs through the textures so he could not move, or die. :aaa:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I dislike games already in progress. I always seem to end up with a rat ogre in my face.
And a swarm at my rear end.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One guy rolled really well joining my friends and I in progress; he showed up right as the wizard finished his spell with pretty much no combat between us and the coach.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Megafunk posted:

I haven't played L4D for a while. Even though I can see that this game copies a lot of L4D idea beat-for-beat I don't remember what L4D has that this is missing. Are you just referring to the ranged/melee difference or is there something else L4D pulls off better?

I'm curious too. I played L4D after a long break just before getting this and can't really think of any obvious features missing from Vermintide, aside from versus mode.

I had an exciting round as the dwarf on wizard's tower finale. One of my teammates bites the dust, his helper goes down as well. I try to fight my way to them, but they are surrounded by stormvermin and get globadier gas thrown on them. Meanwhile my remaining buddy goes down too. I retreat from a horde of rats battering my shield and climb up ladders, pushing rats off ledges as I make my way to the spot where captured players spawn. I jump down and start releasing the witch hunter, but the rat swarm gets there and interrupts me. Globadier strikes again, covering my captured friends in gas, and stormvermin join the fun too. Just then the wizard completes the spell, and I peek up from behind my shield to see all the rats dead. Chat exploded with joy :allears:

Gealar
May 2, 2013

LemonAIDS posted:

I once had the horn for a swarm go off during the cinematic camera pan when a level starts and we took control of our characters surrounded by rats. This was right when the open beta started though

I always found that wonky stuff amusing. Happened in l4d and l4d2 as well. Cinematic starts you here a charger sound and he carries some unfortunate person off into the distance or water.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Got my first orange hat at the end of a hard run by getting all dice and I'm kinda disappointed cause hats have no stats. Rolled past an orange rapier and blue pistol belt. :negative:

At least it had a funny story about Saltzpyre being mad about losing so many hats while riding.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I got a blue repeater for the soldier that rolled with both the chance to resupply ammo and 50% larger magazine enchants. Not gonna be replacing that for a while...

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's currently on sale for $20 on GMG with a coupon code. That's where I bought it.
http://www.dealzon.com/deals/green-man-gaming-coupon-voucher#25-off-indie-games

Yeah with hindsight, I'd pay $20 for it. Not more though.

Megafunk posted:

The devil is in the details, but they add up to be a loving lot.

You can see in multiple instances where they've flat copied something L4D did, but they don't work in the context of this game whether it's trying to close ground on a packmaster, or trying to make your to murder that rattling gunner. There are special rats that they could have come up with that took these into account, but instead they just copypasted weird clones of L4D specials and they just don't work. "Just use your ranged!" you say. You really can't because you're saving all your ranged
9and grenades) for the everpresent threat of the rat ogre. The rat ogre plays the same deal as the tank. All the other specials punish you for separating from the group and are pretty weak in close quarters whereas the tank turns it on it's head and forces you to both split and get as far away from it as possible. When you are in a melee only game that becomes a much greater pain in the rear end. So all ammo becomes solely for "dealing with the one creature in the game you dare not get near".
Add to that that the tank spawns were very delicately handled. Common spawns were reduced to a trickle and disabling spawns all but disappeared leaving it to boomers, spitters etc etc. Rat Ogres mean all spawns are still on, all specials are still on and they happen at the worst moments.
Staying with ogres for a moment. When you're not fighting them, you're running away from them. Like super hard Left4Dead, high end Vermintide is going to be about mobility. You may not have noticed it in Left4dead but they coated their level geometry in butter. Every doorframe, ridge, hedge... If you strafed into it while focusing on something else you would slide around it or move with it at an angle. In Vermintide you stop dead and all your plans of outmanuvering the ogre go out of the window when you stop. You can't look away from the ogre you move a little futher forward and try to strafe again, no dice. You move a little back nope. And by now the ogre is on you and has mashed you into a fine paste.

That's just 2 small points. I'm not writing an essay on this, but you get the idea.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you are saving all your bombs for the rat ogre your doing it wrong, that is what potions of strength is for. I will happily throw a grenade at a corner if there is a packrat behind it, I will also throw it at two stormvermin and be happy about the value of that exchange.]

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If you save all your ranged for the rat ogre you are making a terrible mistake.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
I can understand comparing the game to left 4 dead, but they really are two different beasts. Maybe it's just me but I never got a "wow that was intense and I am a badass" feeling out of l4d, whereas dodging and blocking a sea of rats while cutting through swaths of them seems to do it every time. Gameplay feels totally different as well, in l4d it always felt like rushing from one area to the next as fast as possible to me, in this I feel like you're more encouraged to kind of cautiously creep through an area as a group and explore a bit. Combat is obviously completely different in the two games as well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's also the fact that the characters actually play differently, which is a plus.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
And the characters themselves as well as their banter is incredibly good. Except for the elf, gently caress her.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Yeah, that is a huge plus, also they have different items which actually affect meaningful changes.

One thing I will say about this game is they don't do a very good job teaching players the combat system. Still seeing tons of people who basically run at the rats while spamming lmb. Game has got a decently solid melee combat system at it's core, every class can block, dodge, and push, and once you learn the ins and outs of the system it's much easier to take on hordes of rats and not take damage. It's also intense as hell and a lot of fun!

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
For me, I like this game way more than l4d. So far, just for the beta I have outplayed the hours I put into both l4d games. I find the grimoire and tome system more interesting and the combat more satisfying than l4d. Specials are kinda nuts and I don't like grinding the loot system but even with just 2 people and bots, it has been really fun. Even when a run goes south, I am still optimistic if I was just a bit better, that could have been salvaged. I feel like there are things to improve, something I didn't care to attempt in L4D. It is good now, kinda rough but if they give it support, this will become awesome. Playing with goons is just the icing on the cake.

E: Like for example, I think the dodge has a few frames of invulnerability. Don't know but I think so. What if you had a character who couldn't really block but had a farther dodge with more invulnerability frames. Different offensive options is one thing but different defensive playstyles being possible gets me interested incredibly.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 23, 2015

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Why are you saving all of your ammo for the rat ogre? It's pretty trivial to have his target hold block and spam dodge backwards, while the other 3 tear him apart from behind. Eventually he'll switch targets, and then the new target starts dodging backwards. Repeat until dead. Rat ogres are only a problem when they show up with a horde or a ton of specials, which can definitely be some bullshit. The end of Supply and Demand is notorious for this.

Personally I like this game a lot. Smacking rats around with a solid melee combat system is so much more satisfying than shooting zombies (though I enjoy L4D as well).

edit: Oh yeah, sorry to the goons who I was just doing nightmare Magnus with. My internet cut out, and I'm pretty sure I was hosting, so rip.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 23, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
You haven't lived until you've been the sacrificial lamb on a Nightmare Horn ammo box run only to succesfully survive until the end on your own. Shieldbashing every drat rat in the tower is the best thing and also intense as all hell. :black101:

Fighting the Rat Ogre with ranged weapons is actually the worst way to fight him. :ssh:

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 23, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
what time is the game going live?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

^^^^^^ What everyone above me said.

Sex Robot posted:

The rat ogre plays the same deal as the tank. All the other specials punish you for separating from the group and are pretty weak in close quarters whereas the tank turns it on it's head and forces you to both split and get as far away from it as possible.

What? No!

You deal with the Ogre by having one player block and dodge while the other guys stab its butt. Use the grenades, surely, but go medieval on its rear end afterwards.

If you're shooting at it and it's not because you're far away (and running towards it as fast as possible), you're making a mistake.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Al Borland posted:

what time is the game going live?

17:00 UTC, so 9 hours from this post.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I really want an improved sniper rifle for Kruber :smith: Using a silver still. Its the best gun cause it 1shots all elites if you hti in the head and well, yeah you an hit em in the head cause it zooms in!

Quick reload and maybe extra damage would be nice for the rogres

Dezztroy posted:

17:00 UTC, so 9 hours from this post.

Awesome I can get some sleep then :dance:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Other than the setting, what I like way more about this game than L4D(2) is that combat is actually fun. L4D(2) has absolutely bland gun play which is severely lacking in feedback. Just compare the weapon modeling and animations and also sounds in L4D to Killing Floor. I don't know, shooting in L4D just feels like turning your garden hose on a mob of loving (boning down) dogs your yard or something, whereas In this game you have ratmen cursing you right before you stab them in the throat or lob their heads off. Offering a variety of character is also a big plus in my book. Sex Robot is right, L4D is more polished than Vermintide, but I guess I don't value polish that much after a certain point - I'm certainly having more fun with Vermintide than I had with L4D.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 23, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really like the way they did ranged weapons as a backup/anti-special (with some exceptions) rather than your primary, but I also like that they said 'gently caress realism, this is wizards and giant rats land' and made a musket into a loving anti-tank rifle.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
The reward system could be completely cosmetic too and it'd still be a fun game to play. Having some reason to keep doing maps over and over really adds more value as well.

LIke L4D2/1 I did the maps did some Vs and that was that. I've already gotten more value out of 34 maps playing this game than I did with L4D.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Has anyone figured out how Hail of Doom (% chance for attacks to split into 2 projectiles) and Knockback (% chance to knock back on hit) work? I've got an orange conflagration staff and I'm not sure if those will do anything at all with the charge attack.

Also, I picked up a new helmet. I wonder what kind of interesting new lore and insight into Bardin's character it will ha-

Boar.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 23, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Vargs posted:

Has anyone figured out how Hail of Doom (% chance for attacks to split into 2 projectiles) and Knockback (% chance to knock back on hit) work? I've got an orange conflagration staff and I'm not sure if those will do anything at all with the charge attack.

Charge attack's not a projectile so I highly doubt Hail of Doom will work, and it already has huge knockback so that trait's useless for it as well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Problem: A ratling gunner can bug through a wall so that only his gun peeks out and still shoot you

Solution: You can still kill him by shooting his gun. :haw:

http://gfycat.com/IndelibleNiceBalloonfish

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This game is a lot better than I'd ever anticipated, and the price point isn't ridiculous like most other games these days. With a team of buddies it's great fun and I CAN'T STOP TALKING LIKE SALTZPYRE

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Songbearer posted:

I CAN'T STOP TALKING LIKE SALTZPYRE
CLEAVE (?) THEM IN TWAIN! Cracks me up every time, for some reason.

Also the Dwarf made a Mad Max reference on the Tower map.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Songbearer posted:

I CAN'T STOP TALKING LIKE SALTZPYRE

I'm admittedly rather hard of hearing, but I'm pretty sure he says "HOLY poo poo MAN, HEAL THIS RAVAGED BODY" instead of "Holy Sigmar".

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
This game made me read about Warhammer. :rip:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Is it just me or do the Witch Hunter's pistols have a really short range. Coming from using the Dwarf crossbow or the mage. It feels like I never connect with anything.

Makes going after poison wind globadiers or gatling guns etc really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Pretty sure the range is there, it just maybe the individual shots being quite weak unless you're getting them in the head.

And yup, pistol brace is less than ideal for sniping down specials. Although kinda fun for downing a strength potion then dumping into a rat ogre.

• Locked thread