Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Szcwczuk posted:

Basically as I understand it doxing is done by using things like google and social media to gain information on a person that would identify them. Although I do not partake in posting my personal info everywhere I think people should be safe from having their's posted randomly. I guess the thing that I would like you to think about is, what if it was you? What if you were the guy that just had his full name and other identifying information posted? I know it was already out there but posting it here was at the very least uncool.

Personally I wouldn't have had the inclination to back track him through old reddit posts to an old post on a PS2 forum and then use that to find his old employer, name and location.

Derek Smart did the right thing editing it out and I'm glad he did. The right thing would be to keep it to himself and just handle the whole thing in private like the adult he is but the heat of the moment and all right.

edit:

for something more relevant:

If this game looks this bad now and god it looks bad can you even start to guess how poo poo it's going to look in 2020 when these people think the game will be finished.

Given the context of the post, it wasn't at random though nor was it what doxxing. No personal private information was posted, the writer already publicly used their real name and linked it to the alias that "threat assessment" was posted under for a considerable length of time.

As for the reaction right now, just imagine the behavior for when the game is actually out. I am predicting, should that day actually come, there will be so many tears being shed over stupid internet pixels. We could probably go white water rafting down them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keith Elwood
Oct 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

D_Smart posted:

That's because he's probably read what I posted here and probably knows that I'm not kidding around. Especially since the poo poo he posted on Medium and Pastbin have been removed. Still waiting on archive.is to get their act in gear.

UPDATE: He apologized. So I have removed his info from this post
gently caress you for doxxing me Derek. You're not a good person and deep down you know it. Bring the pain rear end in a top hat, if you come after me with lawyers I'll blow my brains out live on the internet. Then what?

Keith Elwood
Oct 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Keith Elwood posted:

gently caress you for doxxing me Derek. You're not a good person and deep down you know it. Bring the pain rear end in a top hat, if you come after me with lawyers I'll blow my brains out live on the internet. Then what?
Then you're a murderer, that's what Derek.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Sod kids not understand that if you link your loving professional profiles online to accounts you post with and people CLICK that link and post there information that isn't doxxing. Doxxing requires going out of your way to link information together typically using sources outside of loving Google or their publicly accessible profiles.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
star citizen: the doxtor is in

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Keith Elwood posted:

This is a bad troll hth

Keith Elwood
Oct 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Szcwczuk posted:

This is a bad troll hth
pot; kettle

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Keith Elwood posted:

:eyepop:

Which one of you spent :10bux: on this

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I think he actually reg'd but i doubt thats him

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Nation posted:

I think he actually reg'd but i doubt thats him

I strongly doubt he would reg with his actual name.

I also strongly suspect that's part of the joke.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
drat, Derek. Way to make them squirm. God bless. :patriot:

Don't know what cream soda is but it sounds gross.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hi Seraph

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

This thread is really loving weird

StraightFace
Feb 9, 2014

:agreed:

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
uh oh... trouble in paradise.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Don't know what cream soda is but it sounds gross.

It's basically vanilla flavored soda. Think root beer with less bite.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Full Metal Boxers posted:

I strongly doubt he would reg with his actual name.

I also strongly suspect that's part of the joke.

its just as likely it is him, this thread is that crazy

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Keith Elwood posted:

I want to believe it's real

:munch:

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
This "game" is an inevitable failure. I feel like i'm watching the progression of generating train simulator dlc for a space adventure. The only notoriety it will achieve is having to pay over 3k for a complete fictional, intangible, product. The only reason the "games" backers haven't jumped ship yet is because these are people who like to cling to a brand. Chris Roberts projects that brand of space exploration simulators as much a Gabe Newell projected his brand of what it was to belong to STEAM. However, Gabe Newell's product was actually feasible and marketed towards all demographics to help "better" PC gaming. Star Citizen is marketed towards Whales that have addictive spending habits and too much expendable income. If I made an average to slightly above average wage, this game would not include me in its demographic. I am not going to drop $150 to $2000 on something intangible that provides that same service as a $40 dollar video game. It disgusts me that the evaluation of price, product, and demographic, is not taken into account under polygon's or other "game reviewer's" videos or writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOh5pL4zCpU
This video seems like the reviewers are on a pay roll from the developers.

quote:

"And you can actually get in"
"Oh that looks like a starship."
"Isn't this awesome"
"Yeah"
"So, I can't actually fly this ship in the game yet. I can't take it into the multiplayer setting and dogfight or anything, but I can get in and out of it."
"you know that would be ok for now, that's kind of awesome."

So what we have is a love of a brand, ideal, the specular that provides backing without logic. However, their scope for a game far exceeds what can be reliably expected to be delivered so they require MACROtransactions that they can support the weight of such a huge budget and doing it voluntarily. So since their game is out of scope of reality, I am out of scope as a demographic that would enjoy this game, and since I am out of the scope of the pricing of this game I am out of scope of the demographic. Prices will remain high because power creep will cause ships to cost more money because those that spent 150 bucks originally will complain that a better ship can be bought for 20 dollars. So what the gently caress is even happening with this trainwreck.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Devian666 posted:

It's a promotional piece lying about the game existing. It needs to be corrected to say backers again. How the gently caress would there be 1m players in a game that doesn't exist?

I think this just proves how much RSI is in damage control. They know the Escapist piece raised a lot of questions. Many they had no real answers for. And the letters from Croberts and Ortwin only hurt them. They know they got emotional and hosed up. It hurt their credibility.

So like any company, or celebrity, on this day and age they're now in PR damage control. It's why the sudden influx of "good" news for them, after so many months/years of "meh" level articles. Suddenly gaming news is all a flutter with good things to say. This isn't Gamergate bullshit it's just sadly the way it works. They're just making sure fluff like this is put there to counter act the negativity. It's just sad that news organizations condone and to a degree encourage this behavior.

B_of_InfoRedux fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 23, 2015

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
seraph how many bits coin could you have bought with all this rereg money you are just robbing yourself here

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Szcwczuk posted:

Basically as I understand it doxing is done by using things like google and social media to gain information on a person that would identify them.
No, originally it meant posting a lot more than your RL identity. It was posting full details like addresses, phone numbers, relatives, etc with the intent of getting a bunch of other internet people do do basically a distributed harassment campaign. A thousand internet randos all try to call your phone for a couple days it's a hosed situation even though none of them individually are going to be held accountable for anything.

If some of them are being threatening it's worse, and if the doxx included your parent's names and phone numbers it's super hosed because now people you care about are getting harassed too.

Just posting "Szcwczuk's real name is Bob Bobson" isn't really the same thing in most cases. That's just the collapse of a mental wall you had for a different and more uninhibited persona.

quote:

Although I do not partake in posting my personal info everywhere I think people should be safe from having their's posted randomly.
Well, in this case it wasn't randomly, it was in response to a guy posting a pretty crazy dossier.

There are reasons to protect internet anonymity, and they mostly have to do with the 1% of the time that the anonymous person is a dissident in a police state or other extreme circumstances. The other 99% of the time it's people afraid of shame from being an internet rear end in a top hat.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Gotta say I like the way this threat assesment thing turned out (no Seraph, I don't mean you, sit down).

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Klyith posted:

No, originally it meant posting a lot more than your RL identity. It was posting full details like addresses, phone numbers, relatives, etc with the intent of getting a bunch of other internet people do do basically a distributed harassment campaign. A thousand internet randos all try to call your phone for a couple days it's a hosed situation even though none of them individually are going to be held accountable for anything.

If some of them are being threatening it's worse, and if the doxx included your parent's names and phone numbers it's super hosed because now people you care about are getting harassed too.

Just posting "Szcwczuk's real name is Bob Bobson" isn't really the same thing in most cases. That's just the collapse of a mental wall you had for a different and more uninhibited persona.

Well, in this case it wasn't randomly, it was in response to a guy posting a pretty crazy dossier.

There are reasons to protect internet anonymity, and they mostly have to do with the 1% of the time that the anonymous person is a dissident in a police state or other extreme circumstances. The other 99% of the time it's people afraid of shame from being an internet rear end in a top hat.

Exactly this.

I don't think people really understand what a doxx is. I agree Derek was in the right to remove the name, but that wasn't a doxx. People love to throw that accusation as some form of character assassination and it's just sad. Linking to public pages isn't doxxing. If it was then Google would be constantly in trouble. If you use Google to find the info... Just think about that for a second. It's on Google? So what would that mean, by the understanding in the original post, mean Google is doing? Just saying.

B_of_InfoRedux fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 23, 2015

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Exactly this.

I don't think people really understand what a doxx is. I agree Derek was in the right to remove the name, but that wasn't a doxx. People love to throw that accusation as some form of character assassination and it's just sad. Linking to public pages isn't doxxing. If it was then Google would be constantly in trouble. Just saying.

It's not a crime, so there's that. I was more on the dick move part of it. He had a reason to look him up so that's fine. I just thought posting it all here was kinda off.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Full Metal Boxers posted:

It's basically vanilla flavored soda. Think root beer with less bite.

Ah OK. Not quite as bad as the mental image of Mountain Dew mixed with whipped cream that I had. :v:

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
It's also sweeter then an entire bowl of sugar, It's fun when you're a kid but after a point you drink it after seeing it and instantly regret the whole idea.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

this is a doxx:

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Szcwczuk posted:

It's not a crime, so there's that. I was more on the dick move part of it. He had a reason to look him up so that's fine. I just thought posting it all here was kinda off.

I don't disagree with that honestly. I actually agree it had no place here as it added nothing to the conversation. Other then some laughs at his pic which is hilariously bad.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
Is this a dox?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Nation posted:

this is a doxx:

Why would he post that on a loving comedy forum, god this place is hosed up.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

Nation posted:

this is a doxx:

Jesus. I don't know if I disagree with what happened though. Thus whole thing is just hosed.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
But who really is D_Smart?

edit: My sources tell me that he is Derek Smart a former game developer. Here is his Twitter. https://twitter.com/dsmart

joats fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 23, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

why does he put goon in scare quotes?

is someone who outs an incestuous pantie sniffer a False Goon?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Szcwczuk posted:

Why would he post that on a loving comedy forum, god this place is hosed up.

a lot of people were young and very naive about the internet back then, poo poo a lot of ppl still had 56k

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Keith Elwood posted:

ok, which of you is this?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Otisburg posted:

why does he put goon in scare quotes?

is someone who outs an incestuous pantie sniffer a False Goon?

Every time I read it it gets worse, when he talks about "smells" I couldn't stop laughing. Why would you post any of that.

Nation posted:

a lot of people were young and very naive about the internet back then, poo poo a lot of ppl still had 56k

Please tell me there's somewhere I can read more poo poo like this.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Yep

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Szcwczuk posted:

Every time I read it it gets worse, when he talks about "smells" I couldn't stop laughing. Why would you post any of that.

Please tell me there's somewhere I can read more poo poo like this.

He just wanted some goon advice man, and to share his experiences. That's why we're here, right? :shrug:

edit: also I'm glad he got psych help, probably would have turned in to another Elliot Rodger. Using phrases like "get a lady of my own", "having a woman", "getting a woman", "no access to them (women)", etc. is a really bad sign. Guy's loving insane.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I'm sure if creamsoda posted here about his point of view, we would all have a better understanding and it would help out Star Citizen more than hurt its reputation.

• Locked thread