Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, the pistols are relatively inaccurate, meaning you'll have some trouble hitting stuff at range. It seems that the pistols are better suited to just cleaning out the trash with minimal bother and risk as you move along, while leaving the specials to either your teammates or getting at them with a suitable melee weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
I was using axe and shield on my dwarf, but switched to hammer and shield. As long as you don't need to dps very much pushing away some rats with regular hits wile your stamina recharging is useful too. I hope I'll get some good shield and hammer after server wipe today.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Kirs posted:

I was using axe and shield on my dwarf, but switched to hammer and shield. As long as you don't need to dps very much pushing away some rats with regular hits wile your stamina recharging is useful too. I hope I'll get some good shield and hammer after server wipe today.

i dont think theres gonna be a wipe... People keep saying there isn't I thought there was...

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
They said there would only be a wipe in case of catastrophic failure, and since they were able to roll back to the state before someone manipulated the loot server or something the other day, there's no reason to do a wipe. If there was going to be a wipe, they would have announced it by now - the game's coming out in a few hours.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Hammer+Shield and Axe+Shield are both fantastic, but I've been preferring the axe. The light and uncharged heavy swings on the Hammer+Shield end up serving a pretty similar purpose: low, quick damage and stagger over a relatively wide area. I mostly end up ignoring the light attack since the heavy does a better job of CCing, which is your main goal as a tank. Meanwhile the light on the axe is a fast, high damage, single target blow that really carves up stormvermin, ogres, and the occasional lone rat. I'm not swinging it all that often, instead preferring to spam pushes and heavy shield attacks, but it's super nice to have around when you need it.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Vargs posted:

Hammer+Shield and Axe+Shield are both fantastic, but I've been preferring the axe. The light and uncharged heavy swings on the Hammer+Shield end up serving a pretty similar purpose: low, quick damage and stagger over a relatively wide area. I mostly end up ignoring the light attack since the heavy does a better job of CCing, which is your main goal as a tank. Meanwhile the light on the axe is a fast, high damage, single target blow that really carves up stormvermin, ogres, and the occasional lone rat. I'm not swinging it all that often, instead preferring to spam pushes and heavy shield attacks, but it's super nice to have around when you need it.

I should try charged attacks them. Problem with them is that sometimes (in a big fights) I stop controlling when hit actually happened and press charge button while it still swings and this takes some time to realize I'm not shoving and it costs me health. Same for warrior. Using hammer you can just spam light attack and have regular rats stunned\shoved away.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kirs posted:

This game made me read about Warhammer. :rip:

Warhammer is bad and dumb, don't do it.

EDIT: Oh, read about Warhammer, not read Warhammer. That's slightly less dumb and bad.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 23, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fat Samurai posted:

Warhammer is bad and dumb, don't do it.

Especially now.

It almost made me want to play fantasy skaven full skirmish again with just slave and clanrats for frontlines. Then I remembered its warhammer fantasy and gently caress that noise. Regiment bullshit can burn in hell.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Badly Jester posted:

I'm admittedly rather hard of hearing, but I'm pretty sure he says "HOLY poo poo MAN, HEAL THIS RAVAGED BODY" instead of "Holy Sigmar".

This is how me and my group always hear it, too and none of us are hard of hearing. It's a great line.

Kegslayer posted:

Is it just me or do the Witch Hunter's pistols have a really short range. Coming from using the Dwarf crossbow or the mage. It feels like I never connect with anything.

Makes going after poison wind globadiers or gatling guns etc really frustrating.

I did a normal run on the tower tonight and I swear that in that map I saw more globadiers spawn than any hard run on magnus. It was loving insane. Also yeah, Victor's pistols are pretty much midrange, if you want sniping you'll need to get his crossbow or the like.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
i am loving dying here, GOTY

edit: Repost that in the official vermintide forums with just "boar" as the thread title please

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 23, 2015

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Syrant posted:

I did a normal run on the tower tonight and I swear that in that map I saw more globadiers spawn than any hard run on magnus. It was loving insane. Also yeah, Victor's pistols are pretty much midrange, if you want sniping you'll need to get his crossbow or the like.

Victor's pistols really shine when someones swarmed and needs to be helped out right now, he can start clearing them out even if he's across a room.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
okay im confused. Sometimes items i win look like generic silver icons but sometimes they have flashy icons even if they're both green.

Why is this?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Borland posted:

okay im confused. Sometimes items i win look like generic silver icons but sometimes they have flashy icons even if they're both green.

Why is this?

Sometimes you win white items that have no magical item special properties (indicated by a little octagonal icon under the item name). Green items have one, blue items have two and orange items have three.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Al Borland posted:

i dont think theres gonna be a wipe... People keep saying there isn't I thought there was...

There originally was going to be one, then when the open beta went live for pre orders last friday they announced that they were not going to do a wipe after all (supposedly to encourage more pre orders and get people playing).
There was an announcement post on the games newsfeed at the time and the stickied FAQ has a section on it on the steam forums.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Sometimes you win white items that have no magical item special properties (indicated by a little octagonal icon under the item name). Green items have one, blue items have two and orange items have three.

no non ono i know this

I'm saying I got two greens. One of the visual icons for the item like the sword itself is all fancy. THe other is not I'l lscreenshot show you.

See how the captain's arming sword has a different icon?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, the pistols are relatively inaccurate, meaning you'll have some trouble hitting stuff at range. It seems that the pistols are better suited to just cleaning out the trash with minimal bother and risk as you move along, while leaving the specials to either your teammates or getting at them with a suitable melee weapon.

Real strength of the witch hunter is using your pistols + strength potion to destroy a rat ogre.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Al Borland posted:

no non ono i know this

I'm saying I got two greens. One of the visual icons for the item like the sword itself is all fancy. THe other is not I'l lscreenshot show you.

Fully upgraded vs not?

E: nah, maybe one of the upgrades is rarer than usual.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
What's the difference between the soldier's shields? Just cosmetical?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Illegal Username posted:

What's the difference between the soldier's shields? Just cosmetical?

Looks like it. Just like dwarfs height. Dwarf is made to be on the frontline to not obscure vision of other party and not to brake line of sight for projectiles.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
Just picked up the CE of this for 16€ on Nuuvem :dance:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Al Borland posted:

no non ono i know this

It doesn't help that your screenshot example is showing blue items but you are referring to green and sliver ones.

What I think you are trying to say is this:

"Sometimes when I get a blue or green item, the icon for the item uses the same one as the generic white version of the item. Anyone know why?"

It's probably just a bug

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I also got the opposite (IE: white item with multicolored background icon).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Man, all these cry babies crying about how some things are "unfair" in this game. Git Gud Scrubs. If you're losing a run on normal the problem isn't the game it's you. Or you're playing with randoms which is even more your fault then just being bad ;).

The peeps I play with (who carry the everloving gently caress out of me :xd: ) might wipe maybe 1/10 times on hard? Over the weekend with Lewtt I think we played like all day just running Hard Horn and didn't wipe once. Nightmare probably 3/10. Looking forward to getting better and getting Cataclysm runs on farm status.

One thing that is really pissing me off about this game is that before any patches it ran flawlessly and now it's a crap shoot on how many times I need to reload the game to get it stable. Also something with the netcode makes enemies show up in incorrect locations for me. Like I'll try to move and be "stuck" with nothing around me and a second later there's 10 rats around me and I'm dead. This doesn't happen when I host, but happens often when someone else is hosting and has gotten progressively worse as the game's been patched up.

Can't wait for launch today!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
One thing I can't stand more than cheaters is retards who try to use dumb spots for defense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something I would like is the ability to at least push a special if you manage to time it right before getting hosed over. It sucks when a Packmaster spawns right in your face and snares you instantly even if you are blocking.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
You can actually dodge both pack masters and gutter runners, and push gutter runners in mid air.

The real hosed up one is when the pack master hooks you from the floor above you by holding his hook over a ledge. Happens all the time in wizard tower, but I've had it happen at the two tiered start of supply and demand too. It's equal parts amazing as much as it is bullshit.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
That's why you quickscope him, noob :smugissar:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alright so what are the good (legit) spots on the magnus defence? I'm aware of 3 spots I've seen used.

1, Upstairs under the wooden platform. This seems to work well with most parties because you put a shield in front and just kill everything that runs at you from one direction and rats can't drop behind you. The drawback seems to be that if anyone falls off the back thr remaining guys quickly get overwhelmed.

2, The stairs. You can put a shield guy at the second pillar while another guy sits at the top and murders anything that drops behind. This leaves the remaining two to rain death on hapless rats

3, Directly beneath the platform you drop down from. This one I saw from pubbies and it involves desperately defending from that one corner. It's a lot like the first strategy except you have less room and no visibility to kill specials.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The best place for Horn is on top of the horn platform. You can see stuff coming from both sides and you just need one person to check to make sure nothing has dropped in behind you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I did #3 with some goons and it turned out pretty good, the biggest thing with it is that you can't creep forward or you will get flanked from the guys spawning down from the right hand wall

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I played 7 or 8 games with goons last night, some of whom were not strong players (including me) and lost like 1 map. This was on hard or nightmare.

I have no idea why people are whining about specials; having a gunner spawn in the middle of a horde and ogre is challenging but not impossible to get through. Very few games have I encountered an unbeatable combination of spawns.

If anyone is actually taking recommendations on whether to buy or not from this thread, take the last couple pages with a grain of salt. I feel like people are playing a different game than me

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The RNG is swingy as gently caress and sometimes likes to spawn 5-6 specials in quick succession even on Hard or Normal, which can sometimes end up losing you the game or at least costing you a lot of HP/resources. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. Sometimes, it will barely spawn any specials and will shower you in healing items instead, so there's definitely something odd with it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Demiurge4 posted:

Alright so what are the good (legit) spots on the magnus defence? I'm aware of 3 spots I've seen used.

1, Upstairs under the wooden platform. This seems to work well with most parties because you put a shield in front and just kill everything that runs at you from one direction and rats can't drop behind you. The drawback seems to be that if anyone falls off the back thr remaining guys quickly get overwhelmed.

2, The stairs. You can put a shield guy at the second pillar while another guy sits at the top and murders anything that drops behind. This leaves the remaining two to rain death on hapless rats

3, Directly beneath the platform you drop down from. This one I saw from pubbies and it involves desperately defending from that one corner. It's a lot like the first strategy except you have less room and no visibility to kill specials.

Go down to the corner where the stairs are that lead up to the horn. You can put a shield guy in front of you crouching and pushing away while everyone goes ballistic on shootin. Works pretty well and you're near the hole when it opens.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I get complaining about getting hooked in the middle of a horde, but all the other specials are taller than slave rats and have pretty distinctive markers too. Gas rats and gatlings are irritating but their attacks also kill the rats in front of you as well, which can make it easier to line up shots too.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I keep getting elf loot and so I'm stuck being the stereotyped moron elf player. :(

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

suuma posted:

I keep getting elf loot and so I'm stuck being the stereotyped moron elf player. :(

Playing elf gives you more elf loot, so you've trapped yourself into a neverending cycle of elfy nightmares.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Al Borland posted:

no non ono i know this

I think the icons are supposed to be randomized. Don't worry about it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The RNG is swingy as gently caress and sometimes likes to spawn 5-6 specials in quick succession even on Hard or Normal, which can sometimes end up losing you the game or at least costing you a lot of HP/resources. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

So shoot them in the head with a hand gun, dwarf rifle, or homing arrow and move on. They're trivial to kill. The only way they're even a threat is if they spawn in rapid sequence or while your team is otherwise under pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think if they do a daily quest style thing they could just make it guarantee a random item for the class you played. Let the quality be based on difficulty. So green for normal, blue for hard etc.

That seems like a fair system but I think the daily quest should be completing a whole chapter.

• Locked thread