Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Fractals have changed. poo poo xp, drops are better. Arch diviner has better tells, two chanters on each arm replaced with single vet so must be done legit now. Swamp wisp timers have changed massively - start when wisps spawn and count down, then cycle wisps automatically. Ascalon frac has a red iris flower. Harpies in uncat frac have been repositioned for maximum player tears. Fire shaman in grawl frac is much harder to pin down now because of new defiance bar - can't pre-chill him, the chill just greys out and he moves at full speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
So I have begun my crafting of my Quip precursor, stage one involves three different kinds of tasks:

-Throwing harpy pheromones on things, including enemies like the molten firestorm
-Picking on (/laugh) at various NPCs in the game
-Eating too much candy and vomiting in inappropriate places

Heart of Thorn is a 10/10

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Heavy Lobster posted:

I can safely say that we vastly underestimated how difficult it would be to get the new hero challenges done.

Rate the difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10 poopsocks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kessel posted:

Fractals have changed. poo poo xp, drops are better. Arch diviner has better tells, two chanters on each arm replaced with single vet so must be done legit now. Swamp wisp timers have changed massively - start when wisps spawn and count down, then cycle wisps automatically. Ascalon frac has a red iris flower. Harpies in uncat frac have been repositioned for maximum player tears. Fire shaman in grawl frac is much harder to pin down now because of new defiance bar - can't pre-chill him, the chill just greys out and he moves at full speed.

Challenging group content!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

Everyone should remember to bind the action cam stuff. It's really loving great and I can't imagine playing without it now.

I want to try it out, but I'm guessing it's not going to play well with Chronomancer. It's one thing when all of your AoEs should go under your target, and another when you might want to throw a ground target AoE under some allies or under yourself. If it works like the old action camera mod, that means swinging your camera around wildly to aim at the ground and is awkward.

That said, left-click-to-swing-sword is always nice.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

teagone posted:

Rate the difficulty on a scale of 1 to 10 poopsocks.

Do you like champs? Do you like killing champs? Do you like skill points being camped by champs that you have to kill?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Brain In A Jar posted:

Do you like champs? Do you like killing champs? Do you like skill points being camped by champs that you have to kill?

So they copied the best parts of Orr? Color me surprised.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Harrow posted:

It's one thing when all of your AoEs should go under your target, and another when you might want to throw a ground target AoE under some allies or under yourself. If it works like the old action camera mod, that means swinging your camera around wildly to aim at the ground and is awkward.

What about toggling off/on the action cam when needed?

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
So I managed to get a couple of hours play time in before work. Everything in the new zones is very pretty.

Now I'm at work where everything is not very pretty.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

orcane posted:

So they copied the best parts of Orr? Color me surprised.

Except now instead of being just camped by a champ that you can pull away or stealth past, the champ is actually the hero challenge, and also summons its own trash mobs, and in addition to being a mordrem champ, is also on a timer, so no matter how good you are at dodging you wont have the dps to whittle down the whole hp sponge alone. Plus, many of these are mastery-gated, for extra challenge.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That sounds like a lot of fun and will not at all be annoying once the zone gets less populated over time.

HoT is shaping up to be everything I've been hoping for.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Heavy Lobster posted:

I can safely say that we vastly underestimated how difficult it would be to get the new hero challenges done.

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Today's goal: don't watch streams at work so I can avoid getting overly jealous that other people are playing and I'm not.

I've been at work 15 minutes. So far, so good.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Its 925 est and im at work. Make sure the bugs are fixed by the time I get home.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did decide to go read about how Mesmers are liking release-version Chronomancer.

Apparently it has somehow made shatters the new best form of PvE DPS? Sword/shield + staff, then shatters (including Continuum Split) + wells + All's Well That Ends Well apparently out-damages phantasms and looks absolutely insane while you do it. You're basically just a pink blur the whole time, which sounds pretty fun.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Has anyone played around with the Reaper spec yet?

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Don't plan to finish the story quickly, it's gated hard by mastery. Also hope you liked overly long and tedious boss fight group events with crap rewards because it wasn't just the Wyvern fight in HoT.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Overall, its still an MMO expansion. Instead of having an extra 10 levels to grind through like in a game like WoW, content is gated behind masteries. So you still need to do content to level to be able to do more content.

There just isn't a gear reset like in WoW.

I'm kinda ok with that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm cool with masteries being the new progression. It definitely beats a level cap increase.

Maybe with the next expansion, they'll just remove levels entirely (didn't they consider this early in GW2's development?) and just have everything be hero points and masteries. 80 is a weird level number to sit at forever anyway.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Heavy Lobster posted:

Pretend I empty quoted this with a hundred smuggo emoticons.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but it looks like pve/wvw got more stat sets?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pwdzu/new_stats_and_specialization_runes/

I could see Maurader being decent if you want a little extra Survivability. I know Guardian would feel a little more safe with that extra Vit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want those Chronomancer runes. I know, I know, Scholar is still probably the best, but the more Quickness I can throw around the happier I am.

And yeah, Marauder seems cool. I wouldn't want it on my Mesmer--we've got enough invulns that I don't feel like I need more Vitality, though maybe that'll change in HoT--but it'd be great on some of my other characters to cover for my poor dodging :v:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Totbot posted:

There just isn't a gear reset like in WoW.

Totbot posted:

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but it looks like pve/wvw got more stat sets?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Its 925 est and im at work. Make sure the bugs are fixed by the time I get home.

There aren't really that many major bugs. This is regrettable, because it really lets the design decisions in the spotlight.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

Dreggon posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That's not really a gear reset. Not like the old stat combos are useless. Zerk will still be the best for direct damage for most classes.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Weeeeelp, queued up and stocked up a ton of guild catas before the xpac hit, and they nerfed them. Prices down from 1.5g to 70s already. :suicide:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

So I have begun my crafting of my Quip precursor, stage one involves three different kinds of tasks:

-Throwing harpy pheromones on things, including enemies like the molten firestorm
-Picking on (/laugh) at various NPCs in the game
-Eating too much candy and vomiting in inappropriate places

Heart of Thorn is a 10/10

So the precursor 'scavenge hunts' are unique and involved quests? I really like that

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I really haven't been keeping up with most of the xpac stuff. How does one acquire specialization runes? I eventually want those berserker runes for the sinister armor on my sub-optimal pve condi warrior.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

teagone posted:

I really haven't been keeping up with most of the xpac stuff. How does one acquire specialization runes? I eventually want those berserker runes for the sinister armor on my sub-optimal pve condi warrior.

I'm pretty sure you get them as part of unlocking your elite spec, just like the unique weapon/armor skin.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Oh man that nightwing pistol from halloween bags is amazing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do you get the Halloween bags? Is there a full-on event going alongside HoT's launch?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Can I get a rundown on what I should be doing for the Halloween stuff? It's my first one. So far I've ran that Labyrinth a bunch and got candy corns, but it seems super grindy to get anything worthwhile.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

UNATCO Telephone posted:

it seems super grindy to get anything worthwhile.

Welcome to Halloween. For real though if you have gold you can buy cobs on the tp if you're not into the games/grind.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Generic Octopus posted:

Welcome to GW2.

Changed your post to be more appropriate.

Welcome to MMO seasonal events might also work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Harrow posted:

How do you get the Halloween bags? Is there a full-on event going alongside HoT's launch?

Go into the Mad King's labryinth and farm farm farm!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Totbot posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3pwdzu/new_stats_and_specialization_runes/

I could see Maurader being decent if you want a little extra Survivability. I know Guardian would feel a little more safe with that extra Vit.

Viper's might be good, and Marauder. Most of the rune sets seem cool, too. I said earlier I want the Chronomancer runes, and I do, but weirdly enough I think they might actually be better on Necromancer, since Chronomancer can give out a good amount of Quickness as it is.

teagone posted:

Go into the Mad King's labryinth and farm farm farm!

Welp.

I actually don't want Nightwing that much, but that karka helm is hilarious.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 23, 2015

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

PsychicToaster posted:

Has anyone played around with the Reaper spec yet?

Get the chill pull, add some wells, kill everything! :black101:

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Minstrel is the new Nomads????

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I'm a poor at the moment so I haven't got the expansion so a ran about in the Halloween event area and harvested some corn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a sucker and so I am definitely going to buy the Crystal Arbiter thing from the gem store, but I can't decide which weapon skin to pick. I kind of want the greatsword, because it's big and colorful and I don't have a good greatsword skin for my Mesmer yet, but at the same time, the shield would be great for Chronomancin'. And the scepter looks fantastic, even though I never use scepter on any profession.

• Locked thread