Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Are there any glaring reasons why I should buy/flip a VZW 6s for a Nexus or Moto Pure device vs go with $100 LG G4 they're currently offering (w/ 2 year contract to lock in my $30 a month uld)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rahu X posted:

What's wrong with having a physical keyboard in 2015?

To this day in most cases, typing on a physical keyboard is more accurate and has less issues.

Nah, not really.

Rahu X posted:

And it's not like the keyboard is negatively effecting the size or handling of the phone in any way. Early reports state that the phone is well balanced with the keyboard out, despite concerns that it would become top heavy.

It's bigger and thicker than it needs to be, and instead of something useful like a bigger battery, you get a keyboard.

Rahu X posted:

It looks like a phone that's made to slap around and get poo poo done with. It's a phone for people who actually respond to emails on their phones, and respond with more than just "lol" or "k" in a text message.

Lol, k. Typed from my software keyboard.

But seriously, I think BlackBerry has completely killed off this kind of perception in the general public. BlackBerry is a dinosaur now, you don't use it to get stuff done, you laugh at it because who the gently caress uses a BlackBerry anymore. Turns out a software keyboard with autocorrect handles emails just fine :)

Selane
May 19, 2006

Rahu X posted:

As for "ugly", I think it looks rather "professional." It looks like a phone that's made to slap around and get poo poo done with. It's a phone for people who actually respond to emails on their phones, and respond with more than just "lol" or "k" in a text message.

Are you sure you're not a BlackBerry marketing rep?

Are you a :siren:SERIOUS BUSINESSMAN:siren:? Then buy this phone because no successful person anywhere uses a phone other than a BlackBerry. Oh wait, actually they all do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blackberry is the Reagan of phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

highme posted:

Are there any glaring reasons why I should buy/flip a VZW 6s for a Nexus or Moto Pure device vs go with $100 LG G4 they're currently offering (w/ 2 year contract to lock in my $30 a month uld)?

Unless something has changed, if you use a subsidy, you will lose unlimited data.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I can just "transfer" the upgrade to my son's line.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I thought they closed that loophole.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FAUXTON posted:

Blackberry is the Reagan of phones.

Insane and suicidal but charming and looked upon fondly by a small cult of fringe nut jobs?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Anyone use voice commands for media controls, like for skipping tracks or pausing? I'm trying to get it to work while the screen is off. It's fine when the screen is on, but if it's off then the phone will recognize the command and then think about it for a while before just giving up. I have all the voice detection settings on including the one that lets you unlock the phone with your voice. And for some reason, doing searches will work but not media controls.

Any idea what the deal is? It's a Nexus 5X but I assume it works the same way for any other phone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe your phone is enjoying the music, you jerk!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yay, my 5X is here.

First thing that happens during initial setup is Play Services crashing. :classiclol:

Also, I kind of expected the USB-C plug to go in further than that.

--edit: The label on the packaging says "Quartz 3GB", what's that about?
--edit: Not 3GB RAM. :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 23, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Insane and suicidal but charming and looked upon fondly by a small cult of fringe nut jobs?

:drat: From downtown!

Seriously though there's nothing wrong with wanting a hardware keyboard. Sure, people who do are dinosaurs who won't accept the asteroid strike but there will always be those who hate good things. It's nowhere near as bad as SD card users in that it doesn't cause a million problems trying to support something that shouldn't be there to begin with, it's just a hardware preference that isn't harming the ecosystem through its existence.

Even if Blackberry as a company offers nothing of value over the competition at least this device is useful as something more than a pager with a keyboard which is really all previous Blackberries were. I think it's too late for the pivot but it's not a bad pivot given how bad their leadership has been historically and they really are catering to underserved market niches (security-minded/scared of change/hardware keyboard lovers) so I don't see the reason to hate on them until they gently caress up the long term support for this device.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

...until they gently caress up the long term support for this device.

:drat:

We know they're gonna gently caress it up eventually, but it really is nice to have some variety in the market.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:drat:

We know they're gonna gently caress it up eventually, but it really is nice to have some variety in the market.

To be fair to Blackberry, until recently every OEM hosed up their updates and most still do. Motorola is dropping support for their most popular phones after about a year of support. Samsung used to lag far behind and release horribly broken updates. LG and HTC weren't much better. Anyone that wasn't one of those four didn't get updates at all.

Now that Google is sharing the preview code with OEMs during development things have improved a lot but let's face it, the update situation outside of a Nexus device is a shitshow. Even in the best of times it sucks. Too many updates make devices noticeably worse across all OEMs. Devices lose support too quickly. Too often Google's code contains bugs so when updates do come they introduce upstream bugs that might never get patched out on OEM devices. This new monthly security thing hasn't really gone on long enough to see if it's going to solve things but I'll believe it when I see it. On top of everything else there are horrible carrier issues (and some legitimate carrier apprehension given how shittastic some of these updates are).

I don't even blame Blackberry for their forthcoming update nightmares but let's be frank, if you're marketing a device on the back of security (or in the Priv's case: "Security"), then you have to keep the device up to date. You just do. You can't call it secure if you don't.

I'll tell you what though, if they keep it up to date both in terms of software version and with monthly security patches throughout the device's two year life, I'll be the first one to recommend Blackberry to everyone who asks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: The label on the packaging says "Quartz 3GB", what's that about?
--edit: Not 3GB RAM. :(

Probably 3 for 32GB, then coincidentally also GB for the SKU with a Great Britain mains adapter.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

LastInLine posted:

Anyone that wasn't one of those four didn't get updates at all.

Well there's Sony but the fact you forgot them basically speaks for itself

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I'll tell you what though, if they keep it up to date both in terms of software version and with monthly security patches throughout the device's two year life, I'll be the first one to recommend Blackberry to everyone who asks.

Unfortunately by that time there won't be a Blackberry to recommend for them.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Looks like Blackberry realized that 750 for the Priv was dumb as hell and dropped it down to 699.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Awesome. Now it's only too expensive instead of way too loving expensive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Totally going to buy that over any other better cheaper phone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BlackBerry, let me try to illustrate the problem here:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
nm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 23, 2015

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
So is it possible without root and a new rom to globally turn off vibration? I have a Nexus 6 and Marshmallow and the vibration is annoying as hell on a desk. I know I can turn it off in most apps, just curious if there was a global way to turn it off.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Apparently 6P orders are getting charged, should be shipped pretty quick.
Unfortunately, mine hasn't been charged yet. :(

Coming from an N5, should I make a cardboard cutout? I played with an N6 at a store once, thought the size was ok. We shall see.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also, no need for Lightflow on the 5X. The notification light is just disabled in the settings. If you enable it, it works like before. Initially, people suggested that it's just there doing nothing if not controlled my third party software.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Rastor posted:

BlackBerry, let me try to illustrate the problem here:

If you're using your phone to respond to emails instead of just texting "lol" and "k", you'd realize a keyboard is worth at least $250

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RVProfootballer posted:

If you're using your phone to respond to emails instead of just texting "lol" and "k", you'd realize a keyboard is worth at least $250

What year is this?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

pretty sure there's no keyboard worth $250, actually

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Easy Mac posted:

So is it possible without root and a new rom to globally turn off vibration? I have a Nexus 6 and Marshmallow and the vibration is annoying as hell on a desk. I know I can turn it off in most apps, just curious if there was a global way to turn it off.

So they DID remove the option to disable that poo poo. I was pulling my hair out last night trying to find it. I absolutely hate the vibration (and the noise that goes along with it) on my 5x. It's my only complaint so far.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

pretty sure there's no keyboard worth $250, actually

If you look at this one which doesn't have special custom buttons for "lol" and "k", you'd see that they're worth at least $250.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Easy Mac posted:

I can't find anything besides Do Not Disturb, which is going to turn off your notification sounds too. With root you wouldn't need a new ROM, but you would need a custom kernel - there are at least a couple that will let you adjust vibration strength.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

But how will I poo poo out memes at the speed of light without a $250 keyboard

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Even the surface pro keyboard doesn't cost that much.

I'm guessing the executives gave themselves all pats on the backs and raises for coming up with that killer price.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Selane posted:

Are you sure you're not a BlackBerry marketing rep?

Are you a :siren:SERIOUS BUSINESSMAN:siren:? Then buy this phone because no successful person anywhere uses a phone other than a BlackBerry. Oh wait, actually they all do.

If I was a marketing rep, I'd be telling you to buy one now and how great the one I have is.

poo poo's too expensive for me to get. I'm getting a Nexus 6P instead. Especially since I don't know how Blackberry's updating frequency is going to be. If anything, I expect their update frequency to be poo poo, because they're focusing so much on security.

Still, it's a solid phone. If it was lower in price, I probably would've considered it.

And I'm sorry, but I still think physical keyboards are better. At least in terms of accuracy. Speed, maybe not, but I value accuracy over speed. I'd rather have something I type be accurate when I type it, instead of hoping its accurate and hoping the autocorrect isn't stupid and corrects it to something I didn't want to type.

I really don't see why it's a bad thing to have one in 2015, especially if it's implemented in such a way that it isn't cumbersome.

RVProfootballer posted:

It's bigger and thicker than it needs to be, and instead of something useful like a bigger battery, you get a keyboard.

In what world is 9.4mm too thick for a phone?

And the thing already has a big battery (3,400 mAh), or at least a bigger battery than most other devices its size (5.4"). It has a bigger battery than some 2015 phones that are thicker than it even.

Don Lapre posted:

Even the surface pro keyboard doesn't cost that much.

I'm guessing the executives gave themselves all pats on the backs and raises for coming up with that killer price.
Blackberry has a tax behind them like Apple does. That's all it really comes down to.

I'd say it's probably $50 for the keyboard, $200 for the brand name.

And yes, the Blackberry brand name is pretty much dead outside of the enterprise scene.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 23, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ilkhan posted:

Unfortunately, mine hasn't been charged yet. :(

I've got the pending charge on my account! :):):) The charge for the case is also there, hopefully they will ship together.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 20, 2018

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
gently caress it. I'm still interested in the Priv and I'll totally pick one up when BB inevitably firesales them.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Oh man, a new phone on Monday would be really sweet. Do it google!

Quick question: If I'm moving from a Nexus 5 to a Nexus 6P am I going to have to go to t-mobile for a new sim card?

edit: a couple of google searches sort of answered my question. I'll be going from micro sd to nano sd?

beerinator fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 23, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So does this mean all of those overpaid blackberry admins are going to get jobs again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

beerinator posted:

Oh man, a new phone on Monday would be really sweet. Do it google!

Quick question: If I'm moving from a Nexus 5 to a Nexus 6P am I going to have to go to t-mobile for a new sim card?

edit: a couple of google searches sort of answered my question. I'll be going from micro sim to nano sim?
The only real difference is the amount of plastic around the chip. If T-mobile tries to give you guff or charge you some dumb fee to swap sims know that you can use a sim trimmer to cut it down to nano-size (or even use a scissors if you're feeling really adventurous)