Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just watched all of Mighty Mouse's Flyweight championship fights in a row. Is there any new fighter in the division that can give him a run or is he just perennial champion? He beat Dodson worse the second time than the first, which is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

GreyPowerVan posted:

I just watched all of Mighty Mouse's Flyweight championship fights in a row. Is there any new fighter in the division that can give him a run or is he just perennial champion? He beat Dodson worse the second time than the first, which is amazing.

mighty mouse is the most dominant champion in the ufc right now pretty much, he's extremely good and his contemporaries are very good too but not on his level.

ronda is the exception but she doesn't count. her competition is garbage and the UFC provides her with enough advantages that no one will unseat her.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DJ is literally the best at every aspect of MMA in his division. He has the most technical striking and has proven that he can drop people with a single punch. If for some reason he gets bored of striking or wants to keep an opponent guessing, he can shoot a takedown and nobody has the ability to stop the fight from hitting the floor. On the ground, he can snatch submissions at will just to make sure the fight doesn't go to decision.

I don't think there has ever been a more complete fighter in MMA history. Every other dominant champ had or has a possible flaw to criticize them with. DJ's only flaw is that Americans hate munchkins.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I don't think there has ever been a more complete fighter in MMA history. Every other dominant champ had or has a possible flaw to criticize them with. DJ's only flaw is that Americans hate munchkins.

DJ actually does have a visible flaw which is that he doesn't move his head off-line at all as he comes in on people; it tends to be straight in the air and on the centerline without much tucking of the chin. That's what got him in trouble against Dodson in their first match.

He's so fast that people aren't able to take advantage of it much, but it is an actual flaw, which is notable because as you say he has so few of them.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
there is currently no champion other than mighty mouse that should absolutely leave their division and seek challenges elsewhere. tj / mm would be the sort of insane fight that anyone who gives a single poo poo about technical fighting would watch with absolutely no idea what would happen

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's so weird that Ian McCall was able to take DJ to a draw.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Marching Powder posted:

there is currently no champion other than mighty mouse that should absolutely leave their division and seek challenges elsewhere. tj / mm would be the sort of insane fight that anyone who gives a single poo poo about technical fighting would watch with absolutely no idea what would happen

Mighty Mouse is way faster and most likely a much better wrestler, so I'd feel pretty confident naming him the favorite.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-art-bot-22463

Good article.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Aurain posted:

It's so weird that Ian McCall was able to take DJ to a draw.

And that if Australians could do math, he most likely would've won the fight. Also, that draw somehow ruined him as a fighter. Everything about it was weird.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It was a cool fight. I liked Ian McCall back then, before I heard him do any interviews or heard any anecdotes about his personal life.

I still get excited to see that moustache fight.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

DJ actually does have a visible flaw which is that he doesn't move his head off-line at all as he comes in on people; it tends to be straight in the air and on the centerline without much tucking of the chin. That's what got him in trouble against Dodson in their first match.

He's so fast that people aren't able to take advantage of it much, but it is an actual flaw, which is notable because as you say he has so few of them.

He usually tries covers this weakness with footwork and unpredictability. Dodson caught him switching stances with his head up and he hardly did it in the second fight. He just came in behind the straight over and over.

I'd also like to point out that Horiguchi is like 25 or something so has a lot of room to grow. DJ couldn't take down Bagautinov at all. Also, while he took down Joe B he could never hold Benavidez down or land any ground and pound. There are fighters who are as good or better than him at certain aspects but none of them have the cardio or all around game to beat DJ

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yea I don't think you can just say DJ is a better wrestler than TJ, especially if they fight at 135, which seems to be the only logical weight class for that fight.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I just think it's fun watching the fight drag on and watching him slowly become faster and faster than his opponents, like some kind of bizzaro-world fighter.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Jon Jones has been officially reinstated by the UFC

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
hell fuckin' yeah

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

-Atom- posted:

hell fuckin' yeah

the man is right yet again

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Given that DC wants to take some time off to heal after the fights he's had recently there is plenty of time for Jones to wrap another car around a pole before his rematch.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just a bit too late for us to get a new LHW champ in 2015 but I guess that means we the belt's changing hands by early 2016.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Trast posted:

Given that DC wants to take some time off to heal after the fights he's had recently there is plenty of time for Jones to wrap another car around a pole before his rematch.

The UFC wouldn't reinstate Jon Jones if they didn't think he had changed his entire moral fabric

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

-Atom- posted:

The UFC wouldn't reinstate Jon Jones if they didn't think he had changed his entire moral fabric

I read this and heard Dana White in my head, perfect.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

LobsterMobster posted:

COMIN FOR DAT PAPER CHAMP

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

LobsterMobster posted:

Was he going to get an immediate title shot and who was next in line again?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

they should do a mini tournament like they did when Randy left and returned.

DC vs Bader // JBJ vs.... nevermind.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Was he going to get an immediate title shot and who was next in line again?

Yeah. Bader would be next in line, but right after his last fight he's been going after rumble. So its been a foregone conclusion on jones coming back.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Tyree posted:

Yeah. Bader would be next in line, but right after his last fight he's been going after rumble. So its been a foregone conclusion on jones coming back.

Actually Rumble has been campaigning for a fight with Bader and Bader is trying super hard to duck him and get that title shot because he knows he'll never be in a position to get one again after Jones comes back.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
DC vs Jones II, Bader vs Rumble, leading to Jones vs Rumble late next year works out pretty well for UFC so I don't see how they don't do that.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
never count out bader

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
judging by the way things are going I think you can always safely count out bader

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can only dream that Rumble is able to starch both Bader and Bones because jones is gonna make DC cry again real soon.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can only dream that Rumble is able to starch both Bader and Bones because jones is gonna make DC cry again real soon.

After what DC did to Rumble I don't see him having much chance against Jones.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Trast posted:

After what DC did to Rumble I don't see him having much chance against Jones.
The odds are overwhelmingly against any human being surviving the hit DC took; he got lucky that he was able to get up. Now, whether he could land that shot against Jones is a very real question, but his "puncher's chance" is a different beast than, say, Glover/Rampage/Bader or other LHWs who have absolutely nothing for Jones.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Rumble has power but people thinking he actually had a shot against DC, or even Jones are not right in the head.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Do you mean that first overhand that Rumble threw, cause that's all I remember. That seemed like it could have easily been a one punch KO

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

-Atom- posted:

Rumble has power but people thinking he actually had a shot against DC, or even Jones are not right in the head.

Considering that he managed to land a punch that would kill lesser men, I don't think it's unreasonable to say he had no shot against DC.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Are y'all forgetting that Rumble powers up after getting poked in the eye?

Jones will be lucky to be alive after the first 2 minutes.

That being said, gently caress Rumble, I hope Jon Jones rips his head off

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

:kheldragar:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

I don't think Rumble has a great shot but I just meant promotionally, doing DC vs Jones II and then Jones vs Rumble next year would work out quite well for UFC, possibly even better than it would have if it had happened this year like planned. All anybody cares about with Rumble is that he keeps KOing people in the LHW division which he already did to Manuwa and would have a great shot at doing against Bader. As long as you can keep selling "Rumble hits hard!" that's good enough. And there's a chance that DC vs Jones II ends up doing a better buyrate than the first match even if it wasn't great. Jones gets his big return fight from controversy, DC is coming into the rematch with wins over Rumble and Gus instead of wins over Durkins and 45 year old Hendo, and the rumors that the fight will take place at MSG.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bubba Smith posted:

I don't think Rumble has a great shot but I just meant promotionally, doing DC vs Jones II and then Jones vs Rumble next year would work out quite well for UFC

without question.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Ditch posted:

The odds are overwhelmingly against any human being surviving the hit DC took; he got lucky that he was able to get up. Now, whether he could land that shot against Jones is a very real question, but his "puncher's chance" is a different beast than, say, Glover/Rampage/Bader or other LHWs who have absolutely nothing for Jones.

I agree that Rumble can always land a one punch knockout. But DC's fight with Rumble gave Jones a blueprint for any eventual match up. So now I don't like Rumble's odds at all if the fight happens.

As for DC and Jones rematching I think DC will do much better but he's also got the odds against him. Jones is just so good and he didn't even have a single night in jail to interrupt his training. We've seen plenty of people commenting that Jones has spent a lot of time in camp. That being said I'd love for DC to beat Jones this time and then win the rubber match. Because gently caress Jon Jones the person.

The reality will probably be Jones beats DC. Jones beats Rumble. Jones beats Gus if they ever hook up again. Then Jones goes to heavyweight to try for that belt while Bader gets shoved in a locker by Dana White.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think no matter what the outcome is after the DC/Jones fight happens DC should retire. He's getting up there in age and if he wins he beat the best guy ever and retires on the amazing win, if he loses there's really no point in him running through the LHW division again to crash against the Jon Jones wall.

• Locked thread