Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Jim Hill went crazy? Haven't been to his site in years. And the Passport writer is a she, not a he. Yeah, the Disney-created-furries article was...interesting, but the analysis at that site is the best anywhere, IMO. It's like a textbook on themed design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I read her article on Stitch's Great Escape, and she asserts that it's so poisonous that guests who sit through the show rate everything at MK lower than those who haven't. Is that true? Does anyone have a source for that?

I hate to be rooting for a ride (anywhere, but especially at Disney parks) to be that bad, but boy, that would be something special.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it really that bad or is it just people really hate modern day Disney characters?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm not sure why stitch gets so much hate. It's not really a ride, it's kind of a non interactive queue / animatronic show with a tiny bit of sensory stuff for the guests. It's not terribly interesting and I don't see a good reason for repeat visits so it could be said that it's taking up space that could be used for something else, but the again I'm probably not going to go back and meet Ariel after I did that already so I don't know.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
People hate it because it replaced Alien Encounter, which was awesome and actually scary (probably too scary for Magic Kingdom).

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
There's a few things going on with Stitch's Great Escape. When it was Alien Encounter, it was completely inappropriate for Magic Kingdom and freaked out at least one kid every single showing. And even then, it wasn't a great attraction. So they redressed the same theater & technology with a less-terrifying Stitch theme, and somehow the show became even lamer. They basically shoehorned Alien Encounter into the old Mission to Mars theater-in-the-round space, then shoehorned Stitch into the Alien show mechanics. It's a band-aid on top of a refurb. I don't blame the creators so much...they were given a really difficult task.

When an attraction is retired, I'm a big fan of the tear it down to the concrete pad and start over school of thought. Rocket Rods in Disneyland is probably the most notorious example of forcing a new attraction into old infrastructure. Complete disaster on every level.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I FINALLY got that BOG lunch reservation I've been after since May! I had pretty much abandoned hope on it, but managed to grab it today.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lincoln posted:

When it was Alien Encounter, it was completely inappropriate for Magic Kingdom and freaked out at least one kid every single showing. And even then, it wasn't a great attraction.
Don't believe his lies.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

On my way to the World today, if you see a guy disney bounding as Rescue Rangers Dale and hanging with a bounding Big Bad Wolf today, that'd be me and my nephew.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lincoln posted:

There's a few things going on with Stitch's Great Escape. When it was Alien Encounter, it was completely inappropriate for Magic Kingdom and freaked out at least one kid every single showing. And even then, it wasn't a great attraction. So they redressed the same theater & technology with a less-terrifying Stitch theme, and somehow the show became even lamer. They basically shoehorned Alien Encounter into the old Mission to Mars theater-in-the-round space, then shoehorned Stitch into the Alien show mechanics. It's a band-aid on top of a refurb. I don't blame the creators so much...they were given a really difficult task.

When an attraction is retired, I'm a big fan of the tear it down to the concrete pad and start over school of thought. Rocket Rods in Disneyland is probably the most notorious example of forcing a new attraction into old infrastructure. Complete disaster on every level.

My main point of contention is that much of the content of Stitch will still freak out impressionable or easily panicked kids. Maybe less than Alien Encounter did, but it's still not exactly bubblegum and lollipops. So they removed a legit adult horror attraction in favor of something that the adults won't be as interested in but will still panic children by reusing all of the horror content with Stitch instead of a sci-fi horror monster.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah, good point. Loud noises, total darkness, restrained alone in a seat. Not exactly Small World.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We fly out in 18 hours. Gonna prep for the visit by watching hocus Pocus and getting drunk because nothing puts me in the mood like 9am flights while hungover.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I remember the alien encounter ride being so uncharacteristic of anything else Disney has ever done at a park, and also my younger brother being so on edge the rest of the day because of how it freaked him out so thoroughly. Stitch was much more comical and lighthearted, but I can still see how some younger kids would still not like it.

That, and I'm sure that nobody likes it when they spray effing chili dog smell right in your face. That's just awful.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Trip report so far:
AK was an excellent half day, followed by a half day at Epcot, food and wine was delicious, especially Canada.

USO was great as usual, but I don't think I'll be going back to hhn again. It was great early, but by midnight it was a bunch of wasted 20 somethings just there to annoy other patrons. The shows were lackluster, but getting to see diagon Alley at night was a treat.

We will be taking another stroll to USO tomorrow, and then it's Halloween party at magic kingdom on Sunday.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm hoping to be there for the Halloween party tomorrow as well. loving Texas is getting rained on and I'm stressed while looking at the radar. My flight better be able to take off...

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Just checked in to my flight for tomorrow!

We thought about the Halloween party but decided against the extra cost. Should be a fun week regardless!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
First day wrapping up, about to go into Hoop Dee Doo. Boathouse is my favorite place to pay out of pocket for right now. Price was right on for the quality and quantity.

Edit: forgot the picture until just now, but this is all I have:

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 25, 2015

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

The wdw Halloween party was pretty cool, and had one of the most impressive fireworks shows I've ever seen. The hocus pocus show was pretty excellent as well. We also got last minute reservations to BOG dinner, their strip steak was fantastic.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Alien Encounter owned. Even as a terrified eight year old. I could see an attraction where a man's blood is rained down on the audience being frowned upon at MK though. I own a pin that (allegedly) contains a piece of the alien animatronic.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2015

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Here's my trip report from today at animal kingdom:

Did you see a little girl having a meltdown at breakfast at Tusker House because she didn't want to ride Expedition Everest? That was my daughter. She was told we wouldn't ride it if she wasn't comfortable doing it.

Did you a little girl having a meltdown in line to meet Mickey & Minnie because she didn't want to ride Everest? That was my daughter. She was reminded - we aren't going to go on it if she isn't comfortable doing it.

Did you see the little girl with binoculars staring at Everest from far and near all day before finally deciding she wanted to do it? My daughter.

Did you see the girl going "We're going to ride Everest!! We have fast passes!!"? That was my daughter.

Did you see the girl having a meltdown halfway through the fast pass line because she didn't want to ride Everest then leave the line? My daughter.

She also melted down outside Everest because she didn't want to ride it even after we left the line.

Then she had a final meltdown on a bench because she was frustrated because she actually wanted to ride it, but she couldn't get over her fear and so she didn't want to ride it.

We actually had a good day, but she spent a lot of the day getting worked up about something she knew she didn't have to do if she wasn't ready. It was incredibly stressful. It would have been less stressful if she just settled on not going, but the constant deciding to do it, and then melting down because she couldn't was rough to watch.

But anyway, magic kingdom and Halloween party tomorrow. It should be good times.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

WDW on Wednesday! I'm insanely excited! It's been suggested--here and by friends--that we should tell someone that it's our anniversary while we're there. Would we head to Guest Services to do that, or somewhere else? We're doing one park each day with our four-day resident passes, and taking advantage of the Extra Magic Hours, so (I think) our schedule is MK - EP - AK - HS, and then head back home Sunday to recover. I'm not sure we'll bother with the FP system, I figure we'll just jump on rides as we encounter them. Or would that not work? And a few questions for those who have been recently: Is the Halloween party fun for adults too? How do you participate in the Food and Wine Festival, just show up at Epcot?

Richard M Nixon posted:

I enjoyed my first trip in April so much that I'm heading back this Saturday for a three day mini trip. Sunday at Magic Kingdom for the Halloween party, Monday at Epcot for food and wine (lunch and dinner, if the lines aren't lovely) and Tuesday will probably be a half day at magic kingdom, then V&A's chef table for dinner. Since it's so short, I'm trying out pop century, but I wholly expect it to feel cheap and lovely compared to my week at Bay Lake tower.

Any advice for the Halloween party? I'm waffling on doing the character meets - I love Nightmare but jack looks so ridiculous that I'm not sure I'd like the picture, and the rest would be kind of meh. Maybe Jafar would be nice. I guess the only other big things are waiting for the parades and getting some free candy. Too bad they aren't giving away any of the Disney themed stuff.

Also huge thanks to you for this post! I was wondering how you would get a reservation on such short notice at a Disney hotel when we tried a few weeks ago and couldn't get anything. I double-checked just now and was able to get a reservation for Pop Century! We probably have to pay a cancellation fee to get out of our other non-Disney reservation, but the savings is more than worth it. Plus we'll be at Disney and can take the Monorail, so that's a huge plus as well. Have fun this weekend. :)

E: ^^^ I'm glad she had a fun time. I remember your thread from way back when, and it's nice to know you two and still doing well. :3:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There is zero reason not to do fast passes, unless you want to miss some big attractions or wait in long lines. It takes 30 seconds to set up for each day.

Halloween party is great for everyone. Tons of candy (good stuff too), cool costumes everywhere (cast and guests), unique shows and the best parade at Disney, as well as the benefit of most rides having little to no wait because the crowd size of the party is relatively small. Definitely do it.

Food and Wine Festival is just a ton of kiosks around the World Showcase that have regional food and beverages to buy in small servings. It's great fun and if you skip a meal and just wander around trying different things it'll cost about the same.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Skutter posted:

WDW on Wednesday! I'm insanely excited! It's been suggested--here and by friends--that we should tell someone that it's our anniversary while we're there. Would we head to Guest Services to do that, or somewhere else?

Tell EVERYONE. Tell them when you check in at your resort. Get yourself some Anniversary buttons and WEAR THEM EVERYWHERE. You will score some free cupcakes at the least.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Happitoo posted:

Did you see the girl having a meltdown

That's a really adorable story as an outsider.

Poor girl must have been so overwhelmed with emotions

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
lies, that was me having the meltdown..

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Everest caused my friend to have a meltdown last week. She was ok with everything she saw from the ride and just asked us to promise and swear to her that it didn't go upside down at all. She never asked us if it went backwards and we didn't think to tell her. The look on her face when we got to that part was a mix of :geno: and :chloe:. She's 26 and probably sounded like she was 4 until we were well out of the gift shop.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My friend and I purposefully try to psyche ourselves out of ToT because going in a little scared makes the whole thing a billion times better

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlueBayou posted:

My friend and I purposefully try to psyche ourselves out of ToT because going in a little scared makes the whole thing a billion times better

I was terrified of doing it until I ended up riding Doctor Doom's Fear Fall to finally say that I had done everything at Universal and discovering that it was mostly just uncomfortable and I didn't really have any fear of heights. Tower of Terror ends up just being really neat once you get over that.

I went to Food & Wine right after work today and got to spend a few hours hitting the stands and Dennis DeYoung's concert. Guy can still sing exactly like he did in the 80s.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

chitoryu12 posted:

I was terrified of doing it until I ended up riding Doctor Doom's Fear Fall to finally say that I had done everything at Universal and discovering that it was mostly just uncomfortable and I didn't really have any fear of heights. Tower of Terror ends up just being really neat once you get over that.

I went to Food & Wine right after work today and got to spend a few hours hitting the stands and Dennis DeYoung's concert. Guy can still sing exactly like he did in the 80s.

We were there over the weekend for my dad's birthday. He thought it was Dennis DeYoung on Saturday. Turns out he was off a few days and it was Tiffany doing bad covers of every hit of the last 30 years.

I love all the wacky old 80s bands they dig up for these concert series. We saw Huey loving Lewis at Busch Gardens a few years ago. The coolest one I've been to is Alan Parsons, who I missed doing an actual laser show at the local performing arts center but got to see doing three shows at a theme park in Orlando :v:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 27, 2015

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Had to call my credit union today because they froze my card yesterday after several small charges in quick succession in a single day; drat you food and wine. Was only able to try out about half the countries before I got full and jumped over to MGM for Citizens of Hollywood show, best show in the park in my opinion.

And here is the winner of that day's funniest citizen contest Betty Shambles, who made it to the finals by using candy as a bribe for a kid chosen from the audience to select his choice for finals.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Braksgirl posted:

Tell EVERYONE. Tell them when you check in at your resort. Get yourself some Anniversary buttons and WEAR THEM EVERYWHERE. You will score some free cupcakes at the least.

This 100%. We were celebrating our anniversary, a nice man bought us a round at trader Sam's, a CM slipped us a set of fast passes at mk, and even several guests including the sweetest little boy in line for Peter Pan told us Happy Anniversary!. It just makes the experience that much more special.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Old Man Pants posted:

USO was great as usual, but I don't think I'll be going back to hhn again. It was great early, but by midnight it was a bunch of wasted 20 somethings just there to annoy other patrons. The shows were lackluster, but getting to see diagon Alley at night was a treat.

I don't think USO will ever tone down their alcohol sales because that's where a significant portion of their revenue comes from at HHN.

People getting belligerently drunk are the worst part of the event. Well, that and the insane wait times. Though this year I did get to see a drunken lesbian punch a scareactor in the face and get dogpiled by security, so that was fun.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Old Man Pants posted:

This 100%. We were celebrating our anniversary, a nice man bought us a round at trader Sam's, a CM slipped us a set of fast passes at mk, and even several guests including the sweetest little boy in line for Peter Pan told us Happy Anniversary!. It just makes the experience that much more special.

We always wear our "I'm Celebrating!" buttons.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My wife told the hotel we were celebrating our 1 year anniversary despite it being 2 weeks away. It already got us a large container of baklava from Marrakesh last night. I told her I hope she enjoys eating her guilt and lies.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Think how much this trip is costing you.. now feel the clouds part and the sun shines down upon you with all its glory. Your conscience is clear.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We game that too. She travel agents, so I act as her client for commission and she writes off flight and whatever else she can. But yes, they get our money yearly, so I shouldn't feel bad.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I was just listening to a few recent WDWtoday podcasts, and they've been going off on the Annual Pass rate increases.

I've never owned an AP and never will, but the conversation eventually turned to overall rate increases for park tickets, rack rates, parking, everything...and they were wondering what the tipping point will be: where cost overrides demand to the point where revenue decreases. Problem is, it will never decrease short-term, it will increase.

But flash-forward ten or fifteen years, and now maybe revenue is taking a hit because middle-class families haven't been creating new generations of fans. But nobody at Disney cares about that today because the suits are interested exclusively in keeping shareholders happy with short-term revenue increases, and they know they won't work there in ten years anyway so who gives a poo poo.

And even if some suit does climb the Disney corporate ladder and ten years from now attendance is suffering...well, how can that possibly come back to bite them personally. It won't.

Here's the thing, though: five nights in a monorail hotel, plus park-hoppers, plus airfare costs us $4400 to $4500 (we don't live near a hub airport, so flights are expensive, but that really was the sticker price of our vacation in April). Add food, drinks and souvenirs to that. When we started going to WDW in the late '90s, we went about every 18 months, alternating between September trips and January trips. Now we go no more frequently than every two years, and there were three years between our two most recent trips, all because of the cost. And hell, we're making a lot more money than we did in our late 20s! We don't even have kids to soak up all of our disposable income. It's so loving painful to pull the trigger on trip to The World now, we just don't do it nearly as often. I wish I could relay that to Disney in a way that wold make a difference, but I know I can't. We're now going to WDW half as much as we used to.

It costs less for airfare and a week at a beachfront resort in Hawaii than it does for airfare and a week at the Polynesian (plus park tickets). And those were literally our two final choices for our April trip: Hawaii or Disney. Disney won in a close race because we hadn't been in three years.

drat Matt Hochberg, angerin' up my blood.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Phlegmatist posted:

I don't think USO will ever tone down their alcohol sales because that's where a significant portion of their revenue comes from at HHN.

People getting belligerently drunk are the worst part of the event. Well, that and the insane wait times. Though this year I did get to see a drunken lesbian punch a scareactor in the face and get dogpiled by security, so that was fun.

I'm starting to wonder how much I'll even go to HHN next year. I've always gotten a Frequent Fear Pass since the first time I went in 2006, but the event has been slowly and slowly getting less entertaining and more annoying. This year and last year, the crowds have been so tremendous that I can no longer reliably hit every house in one night and I end up spending several hours in the middle of the night not able to do much because all of the lines are an hour or more. And speaking as a former scareactor, security is complete dogshit and violence is the way of life among patrons. You don't even necessarily get drunks, just assholes and sociopaths who think it's funny to hurt park employees. Drunks are bad, but myself and my friends have been assaulted by people who are completely sober.

Even then, it's just not as entertaining as it could be. The massive restrictions placed on scareactors (due to Universal's almost pathological fear of lawsuits and desire to shove a line through as fast as possible for maximum capacity) keeps most of them from having any meaningful ability to interact with guests or do scares that are more than jumping out from a hole and retreating immediately. Last year I began attending smaller scale local haunts and other amusement park Halloween events and discovered that virtually all of them were much more fun and immersive than HHN, with Universal only winning for scale and detail (except Netherworld in Atlanta, which has HHN quality detail but is willing to go outside the norm with what it does to guests). I'd rather spend my haunt season traveling to other states and seeing local stuff than going to HHN over and over.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My theory for the price hikes is they are trying to curb crowd levels as attendance is rising faster than they can create space to fill. You can see this is kinda working too. I believe the average crowd increase in 2013 to 2014 was more than 2014 to 2015 yet revenue is still rising. Couple this with the diminishing number of rooms available for their occasionally deals (free dining, 30% off, etc) and it makes sense. Now the obvious problem with this is prices never go down, just up. I'm assuming once they get to a comfortable crowd level again in the parks, they are gonna start upping the number of discount offerings once more. But that's just me spit balling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Today went better than yesterday with no meltdowns.

We managed to do a bunch of stuff before 11. Swiss Family Treehouse, Flying Carpets, Jungle Cruise, Flying Carpets, Tiki Room, Flying Carpets, Pirates, Flying Carpets, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Did I mention we rode the Flying Carpets? We did that a lot.

Then we rode Barnstormer, Dumbo, Barnstormer, Barnstormer, Tea Cups, ate lunch, Haunted Mansion, Barnstormer, Dumbo, Dumbo, People Mover, Carosel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear, ate some dinner, Barnstormer, Dumbo, Barnstormer, did some trick or treating, hit the Monsters Inc Dance Party, Astro Orbiter, and then at 8pm into the Halloween party my daughter called it quits and we headed back to the hotel.

Tomorrow is Epcot, then Thursday we're back to Barnstormer... Errr... Magic Kingdom