Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Personally, I'm in the middle of applying for a dating show just so i can tell goons about it, but not mention which one, so that I can gain external validation when goons latch on to the most dashing and erudite man around, and assume that he's me based on my post history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
According to Digital Spy, Brian Blessed has been cast as Stephen Toast's dad in the upcoming Series 3.

Fire the nuclear weapon, indeed.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-29/brian-blessed-to-play-stevens-dad-in-the-hit-matt-berry-comedy-toast-of-london

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned; I'm trying to catch up with this thread).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ms Boods posted:

According to Digital Spy, Brian Blessed has been cast as Stephen Toast's dad in the upcoming Series 3.

Fire the nuclear weapon, indeed.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-09-29/brian-blessed-to-play-stevens-dad-in-the-hit-matt-berry-comedy-toast-of-london

(Apologies if this has already been mentioned; I'm trying to catch up with this thread).

The best TV news I have heard in a while. A whole episode should just be Berry and Blessed chewing all the scenery.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Nettle Soup posted:

There was one come dine with me episode on a few years back where they had this absolutely vile gay bloke, he cooked first and then basically trolled for the rest of the week, and because he marked everyone low he ended up winning it. It was fantastic... I should find it again.

there's a couple of weeks where voice over man makes a contestant redo all their marks on the last day because they've been deliberately marking everyone low to boost their own chances.
it's a shite system and i'm embarrassed for the nation that they think viewers couldn't cope with a Condorcet method

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Personally, I'm in the middle of applying for a dating show just so i can tell goons about it, but not mention which one, so that I can gain external validation when goons latch on to the most dashing and erudite man around, and assume that he's me based on my post history.
it's Take Me Out isn't it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Let's be honest, we all secretly wish we were on Take Me Out, don't we?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I immediately guessed Take Me Out too.

*turns off light*

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rarity posted:

We convinced our flatmate to be on TMO, the producers loved him, but he backed out at the last minute because they wanted him to play violin as his talent. He's really lovely at the violin, but still what a wasted opportunity.

Apparently everyone gets laid at the afterparty either way

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Rarity posted:

I did apply for it but never heard back :(

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SeanBeansShako posted:

The best TV news I have heard in a while. A whole episode should just be Berry and Blessed chewing all the scenery.

I would be very happy with a Stephen Toast satnav; I know there are Brian Blessed ones.

Although, admittedly, they would stop being funny in situations where I was well and truly lost/hosed, like last week when I ended up in the middle of Portsmouth when I meant to go around the fucker. (It was a lot like that scene in Clueless where the girl learning to drive accidently gets onto the interstate).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

they wanted him to play violin as his talent. He's really lovely at the violin, but still what a wasted opportunity.

Maybe he shouldn't have told them he could play violin.

Unless one of you told them. That wasn't very nice.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Steve2911 posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have told them he could play violin.

Unless one of you told them. That wasn't very nice.

I think he realised that afterwards. Weird thing is he used to play football for a living so I'm sure he could have just done some keepy-uppies or something, but I guess forward planning is not his forté

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Paperhouse posted:

I did apply for it but never heard back :(

I've heard they don't accept former Apprentice contestants.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

netally posted:

I immediately guessed Take Me Out too.

*turns off light*

Why must you hurt me so.

TMO is right out because I have no demonstrable talents. Unless I can just rant about Batman, which I've actually had a lot of success with.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There was a guy on CDWM last week (It was the same episode with Blobby Williams) who was absolutely vile. He was just an Alpha Male, moaning about all the food and asserting himself by pretending to have 'banter' with the group which was basically just him making constant fat jokes. When it was his turn for dinner he presented Blobby with a Pig mask to wear, then had the gall to claim that he was really a very loving person and that he was just trying to make things interesting. I would usually feel sorry for someone who was clearly so insecure in themselves that they have to go bullying everyone, but he was just nasty.

It also made me wonder why they haven't put all of these worst people together in an episode yet either.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Mr. Squishy posted:

Last night I watched half of River, which seems to be a show about an old man cop (he's got shelves filled with LPs, and needed his young partner to set up a television for him) but he's schizophrenic. Or maybe psychic, I'm not sure. He's constantly seeing dead people, which is obviously a help when you're trying to solve their murder. And Eddie Marsan as some waxed moustached Victorian psycho. Everything about it seemed very off, like we're not meant to sympathize with the mean boss because he thinks that a constantly hallucinating DI should be off the streets.
e: oh, it's a new thing! I sorta thought it was Season 2 of something. When was the last good BBC drama?

It was okay, but I'm certain we'll have Ghost of The Week for the next 4 weeks then the finale where River figures out his dead partner's brother knows what happened/had something to do with the murder.

Then Wilson Wilson will die in time for series 2.

Taear posted:

My friend's hairdresser was on Dinner Date and won. She went on a few more dates with the guy but it turned out he was a bit strange and loved just doing everything on his own.

I always wonder how many people actually apply to these shows. I know they have auditions and etc beforehand but surely it's not that many? I can't even imagine enough people watch it to keep a decent stock of new contestants especially if you're auditioning them and cutting out the boring ones.

A lot of the main contestants (those who get to pick the dates) seem to have media industry jobs and probably get on based on who they know. I've got a mate who does PR and she's always in Glamour and Elle and that as girl-stopped-randomly-on-the-street.

With Dinner Date, I hate the indignity of the contestants who lose finding a meal for one at the door and being forced to eat it, microwaved, out of the tub. We can't just have a winner, we must have LOSERS. NO ONE WANTS YOU LOSERS YOU MUST DINE AND DIE ALONE.

Also it took me getting in trouble 3 times before I realised I shouldn't put my views on the men of Dinner Date on twitter, because they are all vanity searching bastards and will be in touch in short order.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I used to work in the media, so a lot of my friends are in the industry. I'm always seeing facebook posts or getting e-mails like 'Who wants to be on so and so lovely reality show? You'll get free wine and get to be on TV!!!!' They've always got dozens of replies from wannabe model types who will do anything for a few more Instagram followers. So, yeah, most shows aren't representative of the general population.

Dinner Date is sad but addictive. They could at least treat them to a nice Waitrose ready meal at the end.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

netally posted:

I used to work in the media, so a lot of my friends are in the industry. I'm always seeing facebook posts or getting e-mails like 'Who wants to be on so and so lovely reality show? You'll get free wine and get to be on TV!!!!' They've always got dozens of replies from wannabe model types who will do anything for a few more Instagram followers. So, yeah, most shows aren't representative of the general population.

Dinner Date is sad but addictive. They could at least treat them to a nice Waitrose ready meal at the end.

I got an email once asking if I wanted to be the victim in a hidden camera show :D

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Padje posted:

I got an email once asking if I wanted to be the victim in a hidden camera show :D

And...?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Padje posted:

With Dinner Date, I hate the indignity of the contestants who lose finding a meal for one at the door and being forced to eat it, microwaved, out of the tub. We can't just have a winner, we must have LOSERS. NO ONE WANTS YOU LOSERS YOU MUST DINE AND DIE ALONE.

I'd have a nice homecooked meal in the fridge to reheat the instant the cameras buggered off, personally.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

There's also that once you're on as a contestant for one of these shows you're 'in the system' and get invites to others. My friend who was on UC started getting asked to Only Connect, for instance.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Red Oktober posted:

There's also that once you're on as a contestant for one of these shows you're 'in the system' and get invites to others. My friend who was on UC started getting asked to Only Connect, for instance.

There only seems to be like... 5 people total that I've ever seen on Only Connect. Maybe it's just a certain type of nerd just looks like a werid, formless egg to me.

I definitely recognised a beardy dude from UC though. I think his uni/college won

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I like to watch Only Connect tho it never makes sense to me. My other half once said its the only quiz show where she doesnt feel like she learns anything, and actually feels stupider watching it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

I like to watch Only Connect tho it never makes sense to me. My other half once said its the only quiz show where she doesnt feel like she learns anything, and actually feels stupider watching it.

I love it for being the only show to have latin and Mortal Kombat in the same round.

Also I'm loving how they've started getting clever with the questions - mulitlanguage missing vowels, homonym missing vowels, and the round two category that was "answers from the first round". It's like IWBTG, but in quiz form.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Gotta love a show that starts a series by reading a letter calling their use of Greek letters pretentious, before unveiling their new Egyptian Hyroglph based system.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Only Connect is so much harder than University Challenge, it actually feels like an achievement when you get something (other than in the missing letters round, obv).

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can usually solve half of the walls and get a few of the early round questions, but for some reason I'm like 100% on the missing vowels rounds. I could do that poo poo as a job

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The Only Connect researchers come up with stuff that I really dig, like "64", "Sunshine", "World" and "Land" on the wall, and superhero secret identities. And that time the ArmsTech president from Metal Gear Solid made it in because his name, in common with the dwarf in R2-D2, was Kenneth Baker, but it wasn't made apparent that it was a reference to a fictional character.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

It was still an audition process, they wanted headshots, and one needed to go to london the next day. It wasn't that they wanted me specifically. My point was that TV is Dead Fake.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

goatface posted:

Some people just really want to be on the telly.

I've been debating whether to mention this lady, as it feels a bit like bullying, but she really wants to get on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6dqsvPF9Q0

Check out her comedy videos where she introduces her many comedic characters: https://www.youtube.com/user/yoginiclare/videos

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Only Connect researchers come up with stuff that I really dig, like "64", "Sunshine", "World" and "Land" on the wall, and superhero secret identities. And that time the ArmsTech president from Metal Gear Solid made it in because his name, in common with the dwarf in R2-D2, was Kenneth Baker, but it wasn't made apparent that it was a reference to a fictional character.

They had one at some point that was about vampires and one of the clues was from Castlevania. I also do what WeAreTheRomans does pretty much. A few from the first two rounds (if that), about half of the walls and then the last round is a piece of piss

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Padje posted:

Also it took me getting in trouble 3 times before I realised I shouldn't put my views on the men of Dinner Date on twitter, because they are all vanity searching bastards and will be in touch in short order.

I actually ended up getting in a fistfight in a pub over an episode of Come Dine in my city. Commented on one of the contestants, two days later her boyfriend's hunted me down and we're having a FUKKEN SQUARE GO YE oval office on the Mill Street taxi rank.

Heeee-larious.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I've been debating whether to mention this lady, as it feels a bit like bullying, but she really wants to get on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6dqsvPF9Q0

Check out her comedy videos where she introduces her many comedic characters: https://www.youtube.com/user/yoginiclare/videos

Owch, that Edinburgh show where she's a character called Lady Tena is just painful to watch. I dunno whether there's an audience watching. I couldn't hear a single laugh.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
First Dates is some compelling watching. The dudes are mostly complete berks, the ladies are mostly quite lovely, it's really all quite something despite being edited to loving death and beyond. Could do with more shots of the food though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

They had one at some point that was about vampires and one of the clues was from Castlevania. I also do what WeAreTheRomans does pretty much. A few from the first two rounds (if that), about half of the walls and then the last round is a piece of piss

The last round is only sometimes a piece of piss. If it's a category I'm familiar with, I'll answer it as fast as I would be able to read normal text. But every now and then I'll sit there agonising for the entire round and not get a bloody thing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think they stopped updating the Only Connect game a while ago, but at one point you could play the ones from the episodes at the same time. I think it's a bit easier when you can actually select the groups yourself instead of watching someone randomly stabbing at squares.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Watching the teams gently caress around with the wall is the most infuriating thing ever, when they include things that clearly don't belong in the groups or they keep trying to select the same group of four that's already failed.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

First Dates is some compelling watching. The dudes are mostly complete berks, the ladies are mostly quite lovely, it's really all quite something despite being edited to loving death and beyond. Could do with more shots of the food though.

The opera singer and the poshnerd was a tragedy last night. She viewed herself as a catch for him and was willing to go down to his level and he rejected her because he's a massive nerd who keeps asking people why he's single when his expectations are completely out of whack.

XMNN posted:

I think they stopped updating the Only Connect game a while ago, but at one point you could play the ones from the episodes at the same time. I think it's a bit easier when you can actually select the groups yourself instead of watching someone randomly stabbing at squares.

Completely. You can't play that round at home when without trial and error, you don't know which of the 5 cheese names belong in the cheese group, and which one ends up being in the 'anagrams of titles bestowed by the Queen' (that would be Edam)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Padje posted:

The opera singer and the poshnerd was a tragedy last night. She viewed herself as a catch for him and was willing to go down to his level and he rejected her because he's a massive nerd who keeps asking people why he's single when his expectations are completely out of whack

Yeah seriously that dude wasn't bad looking but his banter was just incredibly obnoxious and off-putting, I visibly cringed everytime he was onscreen

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah seriously that dude wasn't bad looking but his banter was just incredibly obnoxious and off-putting, I visibly cringed everytime he was onscreen

I thought he was hilarious, but I imagine he'd start to grate on your pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Paperhouse posted:

I guess in my house the fun part is actually being able to answer some questions. Pointless and University Challenge are fine but Only Connect is just too specific and we all end up getting bored pretty fast.

In Dinner Date news I was in a bar and a lady came up and asked if the bartender would be on it and take out a "lovely lady, really tall, like a model.". He's gay so he said no but it seems utterly bizzare that they'd recruit by just walking into somewhere and asking!