Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Some of the people I see complaining about the game throwing bullshit deaths in this thread play long war for xcom.

Hypocrites! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My first run of Wizard Tower we had in the staircase behind the bookshelf you activate at the start:

Rat horde
Rat Ogre
Storm Vermin Squad
Packmaster that clipped through the bookshelf and dragged the person that went to open it through the wall and into the middle of them

Not sure what you're supposed to do about that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Probably ask them to fix the pack master clipping issue, because without that you should have enough health to deal with it that early in the level.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't see what the alternative is. If you limit spawns to one at a time or prevent multiple specials from occurring at once the game would be terribly easy and unfun.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Saint Freak posted:

My first run of Wizard Tower we had in the staircase behind the bookshelf you activate at the start:

Rat horde
Rat Ogre
Storm Vermin Squad
Packmaster that clipped through the bookshelf and dragged the person that went to open it through the wall and into the middle of them

I had a packmaster drag me back up the ledge you jump down from in Wizard's tower in order to open the gate in the illusion room. That sucked.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Saint Freak posted:

Rat horde
Rat Ogre
Storm Vermin Squad

Wipe quickly and try again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The only thing about the specials I would change(besides fixing obviously buggy behavior like Packmasters clipping through walls sometimes and Gutter Runners jumping a dude and dragging him 30 feet into the air somehow) is either lowering the Packmaster's movement speed by a fair amount or following an earlier suggestion and giving them a moment or two of struggling with the target before getting to drag them off, possibly both. Packmasters are far and away the most lethal and game-ending special because of their ability to instantly and nearly unavoidably end a run during a swarm situation because of their tendency to use the grabbed target as a human shield against ranged fire while also moving fast enough that melee attackers have serious difficulty chasing them(if it's even possible during a swarm to chase).

Multiple gutters runners is extremely dangerous but ultimately doable since it's possible for the person being attacked to stop the grab(shoot it, swing at it, or push block while it's jumping at you and it'll fall off the moment it makes contact) and even if there's multiples all it takes is a feather tap from any attack to get them off a target.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I had a single gutter runner end a Horn run once. We were crossing that wooden bridge on the rooftops before the tower. The runner jumped the guy in the middle of our group, sending the rest of us flying off the edges. :xcom:

Also, can anyone teach me how to be a good elf? She's still my least favorite character, but sometimes you want to let your friends try their hand at being a dwarf. How do I manipulate trueshot arrows? Right now I try to lock onto my target and then aim at another rat so that the arrow pierces them both. This has had some interesting results, not always good. Also, daggers are my go to melee weapon for her because of eye stabbing, but it makes her blow at clearing hordes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Elpato posted:

I had a single gutter runner end a Horn run once. We were crossing that wooden bridge on the rooftops before the tower. The runner jumped the guy in the middle of our group, sending the rest of us flying off the edges. :xcom:

Also, can anyone teach me how to be a good elf? She's still my least favorite character, but sometimes you want to let your friends try their hand at being a dwarf. How do I manipulate trueshot arrows? Right now I try to lock onto my target and then aim at another rat so that the arrow pierces them both. This has had some interesting results, not always good. Also, daggers are my go to melee weapon for her because of eye stabbing, but it makes her blow at clearing hordes.

You don't really manipulate trueshot arrows, you just kind of fire them and let them do their own thing(while respecting their turning angles so you still have to aim in the vague direction of your target). If you want precision, bring the longbow and use that instead, since the weaknesses of the trueflight bow are ammo and randomness. As for melee, while the daggers are my favorite weapon I strongly recommend you don't bring them unless your friends have horde sweeping 100% covered. They're amazing for killing stormvermin and rat ogres but make you nearly helpless to stop multiple enemies at once on your own. For horde sweeping, bring the dual swords because their entire combo chain is sweeping attacks so you can just rail on the button while strafing from side to side and permanently stunlock a horde on your own; the drawback is that their power attack kind of blows so fighting stormvermin in melee is annoying. For a hybrid playstyle, bring the single sword or the sword/dagger; you'll end up with a mix of slashing and stabbing attacks so you're not as good at fighting hordes, but you gain the downward slash/stab powerattack for better stormvermin fighting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

if they spawn in rapid sequence

:what:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

5-6 specials in quick succession

Mr. Wookums posted:

I don't see what the alternative is. If you limit spawns to one at a time or prevent multiple specials from occurring at once the game would be terribly easy and unfun.

The issue isn't that it spawns several specials, it's how swingy it is. Sometimes it spawns barely any, sometimes it spawns way too many. They just need to up the consistency of the specials spawns so it's 2-4 instead of 0-6, or whatever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kanos posted:

Multiple gutters runners is extremely dangerous but ultimately doable since it's possible for the person being attacked to stop the grab(shoot it, swing at it, or push block while it's jumping at you and it'll fall off the moment it makes contact) and even if there's multiples all it takes is a feather tap from any attack to get them off a target.
Oh, so bashing them at the right moment means you still get pushed down for a bit? That's a relief, I can lie myself and think I'm not horrible at this game, then.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, so bashing them at the right moment means you still get pushed down for a bit? That's a relief, I can lie myself and think I'm not horrible at this game, then.

It's inconsistent and based on timing. Sometimes you'll smack it out of the air, sometimes it won't register the hit until you get tackled and it will immediately fall off. Gutter Runners don't do impact damage like Hunters from L4D and actually have to stab you to hurt you, so if you knock it off immediately it's basically the same thing as stopping the grab altogether.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Kanos posted:

It's inconsistent and based on timing. Sometimes you'll smack it out of the air, sometimes it won't register the hit until you get tackled and it will immediately fall off. Gutter Runners don't do impact damage like Hunters from L4D and actually have to stab you to hurt you, so if you knock it off immediately it's basically the same thing as stopping the grab altogether.

Runners also can't slap you after a botched jump. :argh:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kanos posted:

You don't really manipulate trueshot arrows, you just kind of fire them and let them do their own thing(while respecting their turning angles so you still have to aim in the vague direction of your target). If you want precision, bring the longbow and use that instead, since the weaknesses of the trueflight bow are ammo and randomness. As for melee, while the daggers are my favorite weapon I strongly recommend you don't bring them unless your friends have horde sweeping 100% covered. They're amazing for killing stormvermin and rat ogres but make you nearly helpless to stop multiple enemies at once on your own. For horde sweeping, bring the dual swords because their entire combo chain is sweeping attacks so you can just rail on the button while strafing from side to side and permanently stunlock a horde on your own; the drawback is that their power attack kind of blows so fighting stormvermin in melee is annoying. For a hybrid playstyle, bring the single sword or the sword/dagger; you'll end up with a mix of slashing and stabbing attacks so you're not as good at fighting hordes, but you gain the downward slash/stab powerattack for better stormvermin fighting.

Alternatively, the single longsword is a legit weapon for the elf. The regular attacks are still wide swings with reasonable crowd control, but the power attack is a big overhead chop that does a shitpile of damage to single tough enemies like stormvermin.

The trueshot bow is powerful, but it's tricky to use well. You are more ammo limited with it and it tends to have a mind of its own in regards to targeting, but if you can keep on point it's an absurd auto headshot generator. You need to learn to use uncharged shots if there is someone behind a pack of slaves that just had to die immediately since those don't home.

Aside from that, longbow is also legit for the same reasons the crossbows are generally good. The Swiftbow and hag bow are both poo poo tier and should be salvaged for upgrade material asap.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:what:

The issue isn't that it spawns several specials, it's how swingy it is. Sometimes it spawns barely any, sometimes it spawns way too many. They just need to up the consistency of the specials spawns so it's 2-4 instead of 0-6, or whatever.

Anything that moves the game away from being able to min/max any given situation because you can guess to within a very good probability what's going to spawn/happen is OK with me. If that means the game is "swingy" as heck I'm all for it. I don't want the game to devolve into Entering Area A move to corner B, wait 30 seconds for X or Y to spawn, blah blah blah blah..

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Gotta say that I am not a huge fan of fused items taking into consideration the ingredients you've used to create them. I'd rather it just be totally random. As it is now, I have boatloads of blue 2H hammers, hagbows, 1H weapons, and Witch Hunter poo poo that I do not ever want to equip, but I also don't want to use them for fusing since it'll give me a chance of getting an orange version of the poo poo I have no interest in. You can salvage em, but I definitely do not need more materials considering the fact that I have a huge stockpile due to getting 0 orange items that I'd want to upgrade or even use.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Fishstick posted:

I had a packmaster drag me back up the ledge you jump down from in Wizard's tower in order to open the gate in the illusion room. That sucked.

Pfff, amateurs.

No one rescued me from the nether realm :(

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 23, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

Pfff, amateurs.

No one rescued me from the nether realm :(

This looks like that dead elf's fault to be honest.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

uhmm, so now that the servers are down for launch I have this 13GB patch?

This can't be right can it?

edit:

quote:

[Fatshark]LiVam [ontwikkelaar] 1 uur geleden

Origineel geplaatst door G&G Apokalyps:
Do you have an estimation of the update size for launch please ?

It will be a large download due to the amount of files changed and the fact that we're adding in 9 new levels. Probably around 14GB.

Welp, nvm! guess this is good new though :)

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 23, 2015

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Mikojan posted:

Might be replacing the whole thing? I've got 13 gigs as well. downloading now, should be done in 20 minutes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Witchhunter with the axe seems okay. Armor pierce on just standard spam attacks make stormvermin super easy.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mikojan posted:

13gb for the remaining 9 maps sounds about right, but also means with my lovely net I won't be able to play tonight, bleh. Should've seen that one coming.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That sounds about right, since the wizard map came with a 800 MB patch. There's a bunch of assets we didn't have in the beta release.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I'm excited for your guys' reports at full release, the beta for this game was a lot of fun but I'm worried about variety and longevity :(

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Is there any RPG progression persistence between matches in this game?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You earn gear for completing a match is the only RPG element so far. Gear can have different upgrades and you can customize your characters strengths and weaknesses pretty well by picking different weapons for them.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

CountingWizard posted:

Is there any RPG progression persistence between matches in this game?

there's a level system that doesn't do a lot, and a loot system that does do a lot.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Prawned posted:

I'm excited for your guys' reports at full release, the beta for this game was a lot of fun but I'm worried about variety and longevity :(

Release prediction: 13 levels and we still just keep running Horn of Magnus on hard.

Good thing it's a sweet map.

Trier posted:

there's a level system that doesn't do a lot, and a loot system that does do a lot.

Leveling becomes cool when you hit 33 and start getting greens out of it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't know about anyone else but I crack the gently caress up whenever a good run goes horribly wrong and we all die.

Sure, it's annoying that you lose out on the chance for phat lewt at the end but come on, just shaddup and replay it, the game is fun enough that I don't even mind replaying levels immediately.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man I hope there's a bunch of cool new units and/or set pieces in the later levels

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vargs posted:

Release prediction: 13 levels and we still just keep running Horn of Magnus on hard.

Good thing it's a sweet map.

I really hope they put in the daily map system somebody suggested on their forums. Getting a bonus to dice rolls as an incentive for running a random daily map would be a wonderful way to encourage people to branch out from farming the same map constantly.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Kanos posted:

I really hope they put in the daily map system somebody suggested on their forums. Getting a bonus to dice rolls as an incentive for running a random daily map would be a wonderful way to encourage people to branch out from farming the same map constantly.

This most likely not ready yet.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Deakul posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I crack the gently caress up whenever a good run goes horribly wrong and we all die.

Sure, it's annoying that you lose out on the chance for phat lewt at the end but come on, just shaddup and replay it, the game is fun enough that I don't even mind replaying levels immediately.

horn of magnus everything going smooth so you're like yea lets do two grimoires and as soon as you hit that rooftop bridge a rat ogre spawns with a ratling gunner and gutterrunner :suicide:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Tokubetsu posted:

horn of magnus everything going smooth so you're like yea lets do two grimoires and as soon as you hit that rooftop bridge a rat ogre spawns with a ratling gunner and gutterrunner :suicide:

I know that you have lack of pain while game is on a maintenance, but it's strange to start dreaming about it.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Deakul posted:

This. If you're going rage-out over (a chance of) a bit of loot I'm not sure I'd want to party up with you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tokubetsu posted:

And then your brightwizard uses whatever staff gives them the bolts to throw instantly kills the gunner and the gutter runner right?

That's generally why my friends like me playing the wizard, specials die the moment they come into range.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

For as much as I complained about bullshit deaths, the game probably is balanced around people not compulsively grabbing grimoires. I don't think I've played a game yet where someone doesn't feel like they gotta grab one.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Trier posted:

This. If you're going rage-out over (a chance of) a bit of loot I'm not sure I'd want to party up with you.

Considering that good loot is a big MAYBE anyways it is kind of pointless to stress about it. Besides bashing rat face in is so completely satisfying on its own :swoon:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

dogstile posted:

And then your brightwizard uses whatever staff gives them the bolts to throw instantly kills the gunner and the gutter runner right?

That's generally why my friends like me playing the wizard, specials die the moment they come into range.

I like every staff but the bolt one. I will admit that I haven't tried one since getting blue melee weapons that reduce overcharge though. So a long rear end time ago. I just prefer aoe burn everything staffs which is why im deep in love with the conflagration staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just found out that Jesper Kyd did the music for this game. No wonder the atmosphere is so good, that guy is a brilliant composer.

• Locked thread