Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Underwear posted:

Does your bank not protect against fraud / unauthorized use? I may be incorrect but I've always assumed fraudulent chequing transactions could be disputed and reversed like with a credit card.

I can't answer for the OP but even if they do, if your account has been drained to $0, it's not going to instantly come back. The bank has to investigate and that could take days or weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
In the UK, the protection on a current account with a debit card is much less. Banks can't make as much from them, and 'your' money is gone.

Credit card spending is better protected and encouraged (partly because of money to be made from fees) but also seen as 'the bank's money' to chase once you dispute.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That's why an investigation into how a bank handles indemnifying you is important when choosing a bank account. Don't choose a lovely bank. My credit union will make me whole again within 24 hours of reporting fraud.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

That's why an investigation into how a bank handles indemnifying you is important when choosing a bank account. Don't choose a lovely bank. My credit union will make me whole again within 24 hours of reporting fraud.

This is the truth. In my previously mentioned $8K disaster my bank did jack poo poo for me. All they provided was a list of the vendors the money went to and told me good luck. I actually ended up getting all my money back after 10+ hours on the phone with 15 different vendors, but that entire time my bank account was $0 and that really blows.

Every time since, any bank I've gotten an account with has had to listen to the above spiel, and show me explicitly in their paperwork how they will protect me from it ever happening again.

Underwear
May 13, 2006

All of the above has been noted and prompted me to check into this with my own bank. Turns out the protections offered are solid, however, protection for online banking is voided with use of an account aggregator such as Mint.

I always considered Mint a security nightmare, but I have been unable to convince Mr. Underwear otherwise until now. Thanks ynab thread.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Mint is a borderline criminally negligent service. They should have been the impetus for banks to get OAuth mechanisms in place, not collecting all the financial credentials of every one of their users with a great big "HACK ME" target painted on their back.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I take it that includes Credit Karma as well?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm still having trouble with off-budget accounts, I should just stop using them.

We have a checking account that we don't really use, so I have it off budget. There's a credit card we have that we paid this month and it turns out it was from the account that's off budget (they're both PNC accounts, I guess I wasn't paying attention). It was $57. I had the payment in my on budget checking and it wasn't clearing, so I went looking for it and it was in the other account. In YNAB, I moved it to the off budget account. Then it wants a category in the credit card section, which throws off my budget (the spending was already budgeted). If I move the other checking account back on budget (and actually update how much money is in it, since I don't pay attention to it). There's 26.something in the account now, so to take it from 0 to have a balance of 26, YNAB reconciled $85 into it. The only problem with that is now it's saying I have $85 to budget.

So to "fix" this, I said the $57 payment came from my main checking account, added a $57 "deposit" to it, then created a budget category for the excess $57 and hid it. Is there an easy way to fix this so it's "correct" in YNAB?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

myron cope posted:

I'm still having trouble with off-budget accounts, I should just stop using them.

We have a checking account that we don't really use, so I have it off budget. There's a credit card we have that we paid this month and it turns out it was from the account that's off budget (they're both PNC accounts, I guess I wasn't paying attention). It was $57. I had the payment in my on budget checking and it wasn't clearing, so I went looking for it and it was in the other account. In YNAB, I moved it to the off budget account. Then it wants a category in the credit card section, which throws off my budget (the spending was already budgeted). If I move the other checking account back on budget (and actually update how much money is in it, since I don't pay attention to it). There's 26.something in the account now, so to take it from 0 to have a balance of 26, YNAB reconciled $85 into it. The only problem with that is now it's saying I have $85 to budget.

So to "fix" this, I said the $57 payment came from my main checking account, added a $57 "deposit" to it, then created a budget category for the excess $57 and hid it. Is there an easy way to fix this so it's "correct" in YNAB?

YNAB is doing this because you are adding $57 to the budget as a result of using the off-budget account.

Leave the checking account you don't use off budget. Have a "transfer" transaction from the off-budget checking account to the credit card. It will want a category because you have money affecting your budget now.

From here, you have two options. You can assign this to a budget category. This will create a positive balance in that category. You can then reduce the budget by that amount to bring it back to its original value. Alternatively, you can assign this as income, and then budget the $57.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Getting back into using YNAB now that I'm married and lots of things have changed. We're debt free, so that's awesome. But we're also looking to expand our family ASAP and save up for a down payment on a house, so we want to get clear on what it's going to take.

I figured that I might as well start at the beginning of the year for completion sake even though I have lots of wedding expenses that skew what normal expenses would be. Didn't have any issues reconciling my bank account because it shows my balance along with every transaction, but reconciling my credit card has been a bit more difficult.

My CC statement just shows my Previous Balance and New Balance, so it's tough trying to figure out what my starting balance was on 1/1/2015. I've gone through and re-verified what each calendar month should add up to, so I'm pretty confident that everything has been entered. Does it make sense to just adjust the starting number to whatever it needs to be to show the accurate current unpaid balance? Or is there a better way to verify that my starting number is correct?

Another thing I notice was that when I imported QIF/OFX statements from my CC that it used the date posted instead of the day of the transaction, which is really annoying for budgeting. Going forward should I just skip importing and simply manually enter the transactions? There aren't that many, so I could easily keep up if I set aside a small amount of time each week.

This is just for my personal checking account and credit card. I'll start working with entering hers and our joint account info once this is complete. And on that note, how should we categorize monetary wedding gifts?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
To be honest, with the "starting date", if you're going back to the first of the year, just enter the entire statement (IE: Statement is from Dec 20th to Jan 20th, enter the entire thing. If it's closer to the first of the month, then just start in January), there should be plenty of data to give you an accurate representation of where your money is going.

The transaction date/posted date is annoying as poo poo, but it's a persona preference. Once they're imported I'd just enter them manually if you want the transaction date.

As for your wedding money, how are you spending it? If you have a specific wedding category, just put it in as a positive balance there.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It won't take that long to enter the whole January CC statement, so I'll just do that. I know this sounds dumb, but I was hoping for some simple formula to verify the starting figure. If I take the January statement New Balance - all December 2014 charges + Previous Balance/Payment (I don't carry a balance) I have a discrepancy of $4.38 and I have no charges of $4.38 which means there's probably something I missed. After things are reconciled in YNAB I'm not sure how to unlock them, so I'd like to start off with things as accurate as possible.

And I think I'll just manually enter the transactions going forward. I'd rather have the dates reflect when the purchase occurred.

For wedding gift money, it's pretty much all been deposited in our joint account which I haven't added to YNAB yet. We haven't "spent it" (some definitely went toward honeymoon fund), but I've also been leaving that account alone to be available for rent and haven't been depositing money from my paychecks towards it. Since we didn't have anything specifically setup for savings yet I wanted to use the joint account to pay monthly expenses while we let my checking account just grow while not relating to it as available money. Have not had the time to manage moving money from one account to another for every wedding expense.

There is also additional money from each of our parents in 2014/2015 towards the wedding in that account. I paid for all of the wedding expenses from my checking account and credit card as I could cover all of it, but we deposited most (probably all) of the money we got from our parents for the wedding into our new joint account.

The other big thing that I'm not sure how to handle with YNAB is that my wife has her own small business. It brings in a decent amount of income even though it's currently part-time, but I don't know how I should incorporate that into our budget. I'm considering just learning Quicken/Quickbooks and moving all of our personal and business finances to it. It's just much easier for me to start with YNAB since I'm familiar with it.

I'm mostly looking to get to an accurate picture of where we currently are financially, so that we can look out 5 years for where we want to be and standing there look backwards to see how we fulfilled on that. Having no debt is great, but if we want to have a child (or 2 in 4 years) and buy a house in 2 years then I want to know what our gap is financially so we can be in action to have that happen.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 16, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I put stuff in when I make the purchase. The dates don't have to match up, I reconcile against the online balance, not the statement.
For what you are doing don't both going back to the start of the year IMO. Enter current balances and September transactions to make the Sept 1 balance match, and start on that date. Budget for this year and review/evaluate/plan in January. If you don't "owe" money for the wedding, its a one time thing and shouldn't factor into future plans.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

My wife is going back to school and so we're looking at the next 12 months with just one income (which is variable) and trying to make a careful plan. We're using our YNAB budget categories to plan our outgoings in a spreadsheet, placing those next to probable incomes and account balances so we can see when the money will potentially run out.

Here's the trick, though: we've been using YNAB for about 18 months now and several of our categories have 0 budgeted each month because they're in surplus (new phones category is good, bike repair category is good, dental/medical budgets are filled up to our deductible, etc.). So if we take our monthly budget amounts and only include those in the spreadsheet, when we do spend from our unbudgeted categories it'll mess up our predictions. What's the best way to handle this?

Option A: we add up all the full categories that we aren't budgeting towards and subtract them from our current account balance in our spreadsheet and make a new "account" there. Then we'll have to remember to assign outgoings to the different accounts when we reconcile the spreadsheet with YNAB.

Option B: I go into the budget and remove all extra funds from every category and then build a budget including everything again. This would mean that certain categories like Christmas are way underfunded whereas now we've got a grand already saved in that category. I think our budget would look terrible again, like it was when we were just starting and every few months we had a quarterly/semi-annual payment due and our numbers were all off. But it would be easy to reconcile outgoings with our spreadsheet.

Option C, D, E: ???

What would you guys do?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

My wife is going back to school and so we're looking at the next 12 months with just one income (which is variable) and trying to make a careful plan. We're using our YNAB budget categories to plan our outgoings in a spreadsheet, placing those next to probable incomes and account balances so we can see when the money will potentially run out.

Here's the trick, though: we've been using YNAB for about 18 months now and several of our categories have 0 budgeted each month because they're in surplus (new phones category is good, bike repair category is good, dental/medical budgets are filled up to our deductible, etc.). So if we take our monthly budget amounts and only include those in the spreadsheet, when we do spend from our unbudgeted categories it'll mess up our predictions. What's the best way to handle this?

Option A: we add up all the full categories that we aren't budgeting towards and subtract them from our current account balance in our spreadsheet and make a new "account" there. Then we'll have to remember to assign outgoings to the different accounts when we reconcile the spreadsheet with YNAB.

Option B: I go into the budget and remove all extra funds from every category and then build a budget including everything again. This would mean that certain categories like Christmas are way underfunded whereas now we've got a grand already saved in that category. I think our budget would look terrible again, like it was when we were just starting and every few months we had a quarterly/semi-annual payment due and our numbers were all off. But it would be easy to reconcile outgoings with our spreadsheet.

Option C, D, E: ???

What would you guys do?
I'd take those categories and figure out how much on average you would have needed to budget into those per month if you hadn't filled them out to max already and then budget for that going forward.

So if you dumped like 600 into a category at the beginning of the year you could consider that as needing $60 a month coming into October if you had split that up over the ten months instead.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah YNAB has an option to average last three months spending for a budget item. I'd start there and see how it turns out.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I wish YNAB had better reports, that's about the only thing I miss from Quicken.

I don't think the income/expense report is all that helpful because I may be regularly spending more money than I have as income for that month, but if I'm not going over my category balances (i.e. saving for something ahead of time), the fact that it "looks bad" in the month I decide to buy my wood pellets for the winter is silly.

A "overspent categories" report would be much more helpful, I think.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd really like some sort of excel spreadsheet or app that can take an exported YNAB csv file and generate a bunch more neat looking reports from it. But hell if I can barely figure out how to use VLOOKUP.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Whoa, I didn't know you could export your budget, that's pretty awesome.

I can do things in Filemaker, but the chances of anyone else on here having (or buying) that program is slim to none. I guess I could try and make it a runtime. Hmmmmm.

I may put it on my to do list, because I can at least do the exact report that I wanted. Cool!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Whoa, I didn't know you could export your budget, that's pretty awesome.

I can do things in Filemaker, but the chances of anyone else on here having (or buying) that program is slim to none. I guess I could try and make it a runtime. Hmmmmm.

I may put it on my to do list, because I can at least do the exact report that I wanted. Cool!

Well I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. Now I just need to think of more things that I want to examine.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I went in to download transactions from my bank today, and gently caress, that feature is gone.

Thankfully almost everything that hits that account is an auto-transaction in the same amount, but that just makes it harder to find those one-offs that I missed.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

dreesemonkey posted:

Well I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. Now I just need to think of more things that I want to examine.

Looking at this, a question

I budget, let's say, $300 for groceries every month, and I have a $200 overflow budget every month so if I spend $320 on groceries I just knock a $20 off the overflow, so at the end of the month everything is nice and zeroed out.

Would it be better to just leave that 200 I budgeted and let overspending happen? I mean I guess it's always "what works for you works for you" but would there be an advantage to doing things that way?

E: also how hard is the ynab format to parse? Could probably do some neat poo poo with all that data. Or at least use sublime to take care of some nonsense real quick and fix some issues that I've been too lazy to sort out.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 23, 2015

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Sockser posted:

I budget, let's say, $300 for groceries every month, and I have a $200 overflow budget every month so if I spend $320 on groceries I just knock a $20 off the overflow, so at the end of the month everything is nice and zeroed out.

Would it be better to just leave that 200 I budgeted and let overspending happen? I mean I guess it's always "what works for you works for you" but would there be an advantage to doing things that way?

For some categories I eventually will stop funding it and live off the overflow. These are generally categories that are somewhat "capped", like my fuel budget. I know I'm never going to spend for than X (say $100) a month so once I go over by a lot (say $200) I'll just not fund it for a month and redirect the money someplace else. Other categories I will just fund indefinitely like my car maintenance budget. I'll eventually use all that money for a large expense (engine blows) or towards a new car.

It's not like you can't redirect the money someplace else totally unrelated. Move $100 from groceries to dining out to eat at a fancy place with your friends.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

:shittypop:

I'd really like a report that shows monthly and average amounts budgeted per category so I can compare it to the income/expense one that YNAB already has.

And one with a graph much like the net worth report in YNAB that I can look at the balance of any category over time, for stuff like my savings categories that grow month-to-month, but rarely get spent out of.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 23, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sockser posted:

Looking at this, a question

It definitely is a "do whatever you want" kind of thing, but I personally would rather see a overage so I could tell when I planned (or executed) poorly.

Sockser posted:

E: also how hard is the ynab format to parse? Could probably do some neat poo poo with all that data. Or at least use sublime to take care of some nonsense real quick and fix some issues that I've been too lazy to sort out.

If you don't mind doing an export, it's easy as can be. It spits out two CSV files, one for your budget for each month (which I have been using primarily) and one for your register (i.e. all your transactions). I don't find the register export particularly interesting right now because YNAB you can do most reporting on those individual payees already in YNAB.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

:shittypop:

I'd really like a report that shows monthly and average amounts budgeted per category so I can compare it to the income/expense one that YNAB already has.

And one with a graph much like the net worth report in YNAB that I can look at the balance of any category over time, for stuff like my savings categories that grow month-to-month, but rarely get spent out of.

I'll look into this over the next couple of days. I need to decide how to treat these different things(s? reports? insights?) so it's not all a mismash. Both of these are totally doable, though.

Speaking of insights, I added another one to tell me the overall net worth gain/decrease from the inception of me using YNAB. I only blurred it because I was sharing it with a couple of friends.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I've been playing around with YNAB for the last week or so and I really like it. I'm guessing the next sale on it won't be until around Christmas?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thanksgiving, probably.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I thought I read somewhere that they don't do the steam sale anymore. Might be better off using the guy in SA mart

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SaltLick posted:

I thought I read somewhere that they don't do the steam sale anymore. Might be better off using the guy in SA mart

Does someone in SAMart currently have a key for sale that I missed? Do you have a link?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

I used that guy a while ago but I'm not sure on his current inventory.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291

There's that guy who does a flat 15% off though

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SaltLick posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

I used that guy a while ago but I'm not sure on his current inventory.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291

There's that guy who does a flat 15% off though

Thank you for the links! Just posted in the first guy's thread to see what is available.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just a heads up to anyone about to buy it. On the YNAB forums they have announced a "soft launch" of their newest version which is online only I believe. I think they are also stopping development on the desktop program. Might be worth waiting a week or two to see how things shake out. I'm not sure if it's going to be a monthly subscription you have to pay for or what the deal is.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just a heads up to anyone about to buy it. On the YNAB forums they have announced a "soft launch" of their newest version which is online only I believe. I think they are also stopping development on the desktop program. Might be worth waiting a week or two to see how things shake out. I'm not sure if it's going to be a monthly subscription you have to pay for or what the deal is.

Yeah, I saw that too- but I'm honestly fine with YNAB 4 and I don't want to pay a monthly fee for it. :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ok, not sure if this was what you were looking for but I added an insight for budgeting (and spending) averages. This is the "crazy data" view where it lists every month for every category. You could also just show the category summaries without the details.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have this in theory, but don't have the report controls setup yet.

I'm not just cockteasing, I'll share a dropbox link eventually when it's a bit more polished. You'd have to download a trial of the software to test it out, I can look at making a runtime but I'd rather not do that until all the bugs are really worked out and even then I'm leary of telling people "Trust me! Nothing wrong with this 30MB .exe file!"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If anyone gets into the YNAB beta as a new user id love to hear the thoughts about it. Not thrilled about monthly payment but in interested to see the new features

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

SaltLick posted:

If anyone gets into the YNAB beta as a new user id love to hear the thoughts about it. Not thrilled about monthly payment but in interested to see the new features

When it comes out, I'll add the differences between the two to the OP, assuming you will still be able to get YNAB4 after the new version comes out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'd been wondering when the hell a new version was coming out. YNAB4 has been in service for like, three years now?

Lots of stuff I wish I could do and moving to online only will probably help with that.

And making the mobile app more like the tablet app.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
For those of you concerned about a new ynab coming out, you could try out Dave Ramsey's new "every dollar" tool. A lot like ynab, and free for the basic (not connected to banks) service, which replicates ynab pretty well. I'm currently taking it for a test ride and it seems pretty decent.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Dead Pressed posted:

For those of you concerned about a new ynab coming out, you could try out Dave Ramsey's new "every dollar" tool. A lot like ynab, and free for the basic (not connected to banks) service, which replicates ynab pretty well. I'm currently taking it for a test ride and it seems pretty decent.

Except to have "accounts" you need the premium account. Also, no Android app until next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
Dave Ramsey is a tool, though.

And hey, good on you dreesemonkey for working on YNAB to provide new and useful reports. Per reddit, the new features of YNAB5 that we know about are:

• "The Cloud" so now you can rely on a spotty internet connection to work on your budget
  • Goal tracking, basically a memo field for a budget category
  • Credit card payment management, a feature that becomes less useful the more you use YNAB
  • A monthly paycheck for the developers

I guess there could be something amazing under wraps, but at this point I'm not optimistic.