Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Look at the models and tell me this is a game you want. If you do, you're a creepy weirdo.

A doctor who's dressed more like a mechanic, a mechanic who's dressed more like a cheerleader, a stripper with a chainsaw because that's totally the weapon most likely to be at hand in a strip club, and buttttttttttttttts.

I think 14-year-old me was pretty dumb and would have been ok with it, but I think a lot of 14-year-olds would have the sense to pass on this. Adults have no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A real font of creativity, this guy. "It's like X meets Y! Please let me blast my sexualized amalgamation of popular geek culture icons into your living room!"

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Boz0r posted:

I just thought the map tiles looked cool :-(
I feel you dude I also love the idea of many games that are terrible junk. IF you're interested in a good map tiles and minis tactics game, search for Earth Reborn.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

All miniatures games are bad except Mage Knight and the FFG Star Wars stuff

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Earth Reborn owns super loving hard, though. Shame it never got the expansions it was so obviously made for.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Boz0r posted:

I just thought the map tiles looked cool :-(
Sorry dude I wasn't making GBS threads on you that KS just looks awful. I am also a huge fan of ~bad games~ with map tiles and dice and miniatures. Look into this one when it comes out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/the-others-7-sins/description. CMON will actually make a game and not just steal your money, and there's roughly a 65% chance a CMON game will actually be fun to play

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

StashAugustine posted:

All miniatures games are bad except Mage Knight and the FFG Star Wars stuff

Counterpoint: Minis games are cool, and good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If your game cant be played with carboard counters and wooden cubes :frogout:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

youre a monster

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

All miniatures games are bad except Mage Knight

Mage Knight is the best: deck builder, dice game, area control game, economic game, engine building game, miniature game, light roleplaying game, dungeon crawler, co-operative game, solo game, worker placement game, and tile laying game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

StashAugustine posted:

If your game cant be played with carboard counters and wooden cubes :frogout:

Cardboard counters and wooden cubes are just the unevolved form of the miniature, the paragon of all that is good and sexy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I would love to play a tactic minis game like those offered by Mantic and similar but I don't have any desire to paint or assemble miniatures so that entire genre is lost to me. That line of games would be better to me if they were made using cardoboard counters and wooden cubes.

Also please be aware that I am a huge hypocrite currently backing scythe for $100 because i love pretty resource tokens.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The best minis game is Agricola with the little sheep

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Impermanent posted:

I would love to play a tactic minis game like those offered by Mantic and similar but I don't have any desire to paint or assemble miniatures so that entire genre is lost to me. That line of games would be better to me if they were made using cardoboard counters and wooden cubes.

Also please be aware that I am a huge hypocrite currently backing scythe for $100 because i love pretty resource tokens.

Disk

Wars

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Impermanent posted:

Mage Wars feels like a tactical minis game except that instead of minis it uses cards.

Edit: nobody will ever play it with you, though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

Mage Wars feels like a tactical minis game except that instead of minis it uses cards.

Yes, everyone should play Mage Wars. Join me in oblivion!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How long does diskwars take to learn/play cause my FLGS has a demo copy and there's a guy who goes there that interned with the guy who designed it

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rutibex posted:

It's worth clarifying now that everyone should play Mage Wars: Arena. The new MW: Academy is out, and while I was excited for it and got a copy from Scott at GenCon, I'm not overly impressed with the system when you take away the map/areas to play with and turn it into a traditional head-to-head card game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

homullus posted:

A doctor who's dressed more like a mechanic, a mechanic who's dressed more like a cheerleader, a stripper with a chainsaw because that's totally the weapon most likely to be at hand in a strip club, and buttttttttttttttts.

I think 14-year-old me was pretty dumb and would have been ok with it, but I think a lot of 14-year-olds would have the sense to pass on this. Adults have no excuse.

Not to defend this in any way, but the stripper with a chainsaw is probably a riff on Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

Not to defend this in any way, but the stripper with a chainsaw is probably a riff on Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers.

She looks modeled off of Juliet from Lollypop Chainsaw

Also: Time Hero = Ash from Evil Dead, Pack Woman Power = Furiosa from Mad Max and Sarah Connor from T2

I smell a potential lawsuit

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

How long does diskwars take to learn/play cause my FLGS has a demo copy and there's a guy who goes there that interned with the guy who designed it

An hour? Probably shorter if you do play the tutorial. But you don't really want to play the tutorial because it's terribly unbalanced (Orks are John Cena) in a fairly unfun way. So what you rather should do is to just play a single full game using this guy's proposed starters. You can construct them out of a single box, they're actually thought out to work together and showcase faction flavor. Also, you get up-front tips what the hell you should do.

Then, remember there is only one difficult thing about this game: understanding the definition of an engagement. Once it clicks, it'll be easy to read at glance, but at the beginning it can be fairly confusing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Machai posted:

I smell a potential lawsuit

Minis games do this all the goddamn time. Here is the original Zombicide Kickstarter, for comparison: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/zombicide/description

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I must admit I occasionally considered getting custon minis for Cuba Libre but idk how you'd do underground/active guerrillas

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rutibex posted:

i would, but I hate deck construction or any meta-prep mechanic.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lichtenstein posted:

Then, remember there is only one difficult thing about this game: understanding the definition of an engagement.

Coming to terms with the fact that we're not getting more of it is also difficult :smith:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Coming to terms with the fact that we're not getting more of it is also difficult :smith:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Earth Reborn owns super loving hard, though. Shame it never got the expansions it was so obviously made for.

There have been many times I have almost pulled the trigger on Earth Reborn, but then can't justify the expense of a 2-player game I'll almost certainly only read the rules for and play solo. I am super curious about why it consistently gets praised, though. :(

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Are the Shadows of Brimstone games any good?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Are the Shadows of Brimstone games any good?

They're pretty good if you like dice-chucking dungeon crawlers. The Cowboys vs Cthulhu theme is pretty fun too.

You gotta be good at assembling minis though. Those little fuckers aren't all that easy, and you'll need greenstuff + paint to make them look nice. It's fun though.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

You gotta be good at assembling minis though. Those little fuckers aren't all that easy, and you'll need greenstuff + paint to make them look nice. It's fun though.

Well, I have no intention of painting them, I thought they came pre-painted :(

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soothing Vapors posted:

Every single thing about this game is amazing

My dark passenger, speaking to me in my sleep, playing with my dreams, covering them with blood... I could never tell Deb about that - Harry made sure of it. If I could I'd do it with one word, "Bazinga".

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Well, I have no intention of painting them, I thought they came pre-painted :(

Nope, very very few minis will come prepainted. The only minis games I own where they did come prepainted are Mage Knight (which has like 8 minis) and Tannhauser. Mini painting is part of the ~experience~ for most mini-loving types. It's kind of fun even for someone like me with no artistic talent.

Most minis games do at least come fully assembled. But Shadows of Brimstone's minis came assembly required, which was something I was not at all prepared for or equipped to deal with. If you're good with model kits and gluing and using greenstuff to fill in gaps you're talking a couple hours minimum of work. For me it was closer to a couple hours a night for two weeks.

sector_corrector posted:

My dark passenger, speaking to me in my sleep, playing with my dreams, covering them with blood... I could never tell Deb about that - Harry made sure of it. If I could I'd do it with one word, "Bazinga".

hahahh

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I went back to that Pandemonium Kickstarter and clearly the better place to cut off the character models was the waist. But then you couldn't sculpt all those asses.

homullus posted:

There have been many times I have almost pulled the trigger on Earth Reborn, but then can't justify the expense of a 2-player game I'll almost certainly only read the rules for and play solo. I am super curious about why it consistently gets praised, though. :(

Because it's a bunch of sloppy poo poo and iconography that come together to form a rich tactically complex awesome skirmish game.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find a board game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I don't like giving play-by-plays because they're dull, but giving Floating as the clue in Codenames when Ship was the assassin :negative:

It was the other team so it didn't hurt that much but come on dude

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

2P Codenames sucks. You're just playing against an artificial clock.

Yeah, I did get the impression that a lot of the fun of it would come from a big group.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It's surprisingly fun with 3 (the courier plays for both teams), 4 and 6 are my sweet spots. More than 8 gets unwieldy.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Woop Roll for the Galaxy expansion arrived.

I wonder how small a box I could compress the game into...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

StashAugustine posted:

I must admit I occasionally considered getting custon minis for Cuba Libre but idk how you'd do underground/active guerrillas

Have a removable fedora and groucho nose/glasses.

I can't remember the name of it, but I played a miniatures game as a kid where a dog, battleship, iron, top hat, and wheelbarrow competed to buy up properties around Atlantic City.