Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something I'd like to actually see is microwave power transmission, sending energy from solar collectors (or a single base) out to other sites in orbit/on the ground.

It shouldn't be too hard considering it would be almost identical to how laser antennas function.

RE: Orbits though, I just have to wonder what kind of nightmarish strain calculating physics for all the objects in one solar system objects would be, let alone multiple systems. And I suspect that planets will work like they do in Starmade where you can only drill down so far until you hit "bedrock". Although, if the simulation happened slowly enough, it might be an interesting take for each server to exist in one Solar System with asteroid belts, rocky planets, and gas giants with habitable moons.

What are some resources you would want from planets, anyway? The only exclusive material I could think of were "Hydrocarbons": vital for space suits, rubber & plastics, nanotubes, and various creature comforts. Other than that and some rare earth metals I can't think of much to be found on a planet that's not found in asteroids.

e:

Spookydonut posted:

What happens when you have a ship with dimensions that exceed the view distance?

For example, a 30km long ship in a world with a 10km view distance limit.

Dude, I don't think you know what kind of sizes you're dealing with. Do you realize how big 10km would be, let alone 30? What if you needed to go fix the engines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZveoBfiww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwn358yvWjM

Planets themselves are only going to be 50km (forget if that's diameter or surface area). Either way talk about "that's no moon" :psylon:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Triskelli posted:

It shouldn't be too hard considering it would be almost identical to how laser antennas function.

RE: Orbits though, I just have to wonder what kind of nightmarish strain calculating physics for all the objects in one solar system objects would be, let alone multiple systems. And I suspect that planets will work like they do in Starmade where you can only drill down so far until you hit "bedrock". Although, if the simulation happened slowly enough, it might be an interesting take for each server to exist in one Solar System with asteroid belts, rocky planets, and gas giants with habitable moons.

What are some resources you would want from planets, anyway? The only exclusive material I could think of were "Hydrocarbons": vital for space suits, rubber & plastics, nanotubes, and various creature comforts. Other than that and some rare earth metals I can't think of much to be found on a planet that's not found in asteroids.

I'm thinking the main advantage is infinite air.
If anything, I'd probably hope that the devs make it much easier to find some materials in space, giving you a reason to leave a planet in the first place.

I think a "planet start", where you start the game with a rudimentary planet base would be cool. You'd be forced to develop your own space program to get out to where the asteroids are.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Voxel-material stuff like planets and asteroids will in all likelihood remain static & immovable. So you could cut a planet in half and the two parts won't fall together or anything. No asteroids orbiting planets, no turning moons into ring systems.

Triskelli posted:

"Rare earth elements" are called that because they're rare in earth rock. Either they're heavy and are concentrated in the earth's core, or have chemistry that doesn't produce concentrated ore. (Many are far more common in terms of parts per million than gold or even silver, but are spread out in all the rocks everywhere.) In space they can be way more abundant.

Hydrocarbons would be a natural thing for planets, or some generic "biologicals". But in some ways I don't know how you add new planet-based materials to the mix so that they're useful but don't force a planet start. The rocket engines seem like the only good niche that I can think of.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Klyith posted:

Voxel-material stuff like planets and asteroids will in all likelihood remain static & immovable. So you could cut a planet in half and the two parts won't fall together or anything. No asteroids orbiting planets, no turning moons into ring systems.

"Rare earth elements" are called that because they're rare in earth rock. Either they're heavy and are concentrated in the earth's core, or have chemistry that doesn't produce concentrated ore. (Many are far more common in terms of parts per million than gold or even silver, but are spread out in all the rocks everywhere.) In space they can be way more abundant.

Hydrocarbons would be a natural thing for planets, or some generic "biologicals". But in some ways I don't know how you add new planet-based materials to the mix so that they're useful but don't force a planet start. The rocket engines seem like the only good niche that I can think of.

Yeah, without forcing players to planet start, it would have to be some kind of "expansion pack" materials, where it's a like a side branch of the tech tree. Maybe make planetary materials necessary for upgrade modules? Possibly add more upgrade modules to fill in the need, like each individual thruster can have an upgrade glued onto an exposed face, and also the guns, and the jump drives, and so on.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Triskelli posted:

Dude, I don't think you know what kind of sizes you're dealing with. Do you realize how big 10km would be, let alone 30? What if you needed to go fix the engines?

Which is why you build a type of intra-ship fast transport, like a turbolift.

Which then somehow fucks up leaves everyone in the elevator behind when the ship jumps, or tears the ship apart from the inside out.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Or that awesome internal rail system that the Malevolence had In Star Wars: Clone Wars tv show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Been fiddling with my Beluga Dreadnought a bit to fix some stuff with it (Mostly moving the reactors to the aft section instead of the belly), and decided to give it some armor ribs like the Avalon's to stop its own broadside guns murdering eachother.

It wound up with a bit of a boxy midsection, and a whole lot of clunky armor up top, so I did the only acceptable thing.

Stuck in a second row of Heavy Defense Turrets :v:.

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, without forcing players to planet start, it would have to be some kind of "expansion pack" materials, where it's a like a side branch of the tech tree. Maybe make planetary materials necessary for upgrade modules? Possibly add more upgrade modules to fill in the need, like each individual thruster can have an upgrade glued onto an exposed face, and also the guns, and the jump drives, and so on.

I think they should go the other way and make stone and wood building materials. Use local rock to get some basic fortifications and a little wooden shack to start with. Then build up towards getting airborne. In a spaceship made of wood.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think they should go the other way and make stone and wood building materials. Use local rock to get some basic fortifications and a little wooden shack to start with. Then build up towards getting airborne. In a spaceship made of wood.

Space Orkgeneers. :orks101:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I actually dig this color scheme a little more than the pure white one.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah a little engineering while things are medieval :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Triskelli posted:

I actually dig this color scheme a little more than the pure white one.

Yeah, fancy painting is not my finesse :v:. I'm thinking of adding a bit more green to my ships, they really are pretty stark with a mostly-white paint-scheme. Maybe paint the sloped angular parts where the maneuvering thrusters are.

edit:

What do you guys think?

Tried mixing it up with some green slopes and a shuttle because I had to replace the old one on the Beluga anyway.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 22, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just a literal flying boat, and my Engineer is wearing an old-timey diving suit :allears:

I feel like that would be better placed in an entirely different game. Some kind of steampunk KSP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

Just a literal flying boat, and my Engineer is wearing an old-timey diving suit :allears:

I feel like that would be better placed in an entirely different game. Some kind of steampunk KSP.

It's called From The Depths and it's a good game.

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013
Been months since I logged in, mostly just lurked when I did but I made something I'm really proud of. I put on some old soviet war songs and naval hymns and a few hours later I had this...

:ussr:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Can I make a spaceship entirely out of spiders yet?

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Fancy new patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PRornEB0r0

quote:

Features
- new slide doors
- superconductor component
- updated battery behavior
- updated small ship cockpit
- hydrogen thrusters, tanks, bottles
- survival jetpack changes
- inertial dampeners changes

Battery guide
From now on all newly built batteries will start at 30% of maximum charge and the power cell components will turn to scrap metal when grinding down a battery block to balance this change. Also, batteries have four states (none, recharge only, discharge only, semi-auto):
- when battery is not set to either recharge or discharge, it will allow both input and output, meaning it will recharge if there is surplus power on the grid, and discharge if there is not enough power otherwise
- when set to recharge, it will only allow input
- when set to discharge, it will only allow output
- when set to semi-auto, it will alternate between recharge and discharge like before

Hydrogen guide
Hydrogen thrusters are stronger than the current ion ones but they require hydrogen fuel pumped by conveyor system in order to function. Oxygen generator is now generating hydrogen along oxygen from ice. Hydrogen thrusters will be the most efficient way to leave the planet’s atmosphere, or to quickly accelerate in a fight, but need a large tank, fuel, and a conveyor connection. You also need to use hydrogen to power the jetpack now by hydrogen stored in bottles in player’s inventory. The jetpack will consume more hydrogen in high-gravity environments. We have also added the ability for modders to create custom fuels and custom thrusters that require the fuel.

Inertial dampeners change explanation
Previous state of things would make flight in natural gravity and leaving the atmosphere too easy. Inertial dampeners now have the same strength as player inputs and ships will always behave depending on their thrusters -so if you build only one small thruster facing forward, you will be stopping the ship longer. Small ships have still 5x power for dampeners to make them more agile compared to large ships. We also opened a possibility to mod thrust override, so community can experiment with their own settings or put old settings back if they liked it more. Please tell us what you think about this large change in our feedback forum section: http://forum.keenswh.com/forums/feedback.423142/

Steam beta branch switching guide
To access the Beta branch, go into game properties, Beta tab, and select the old build named "old_multiplayer" to opt in. There is no password needed.

Fixes
- multiplayer improvements
- rotor performance improvements
- fixed issue with particle effect when not using jump drive
- fixed performance issues in Havok
- fixed oxygen refill not working sometimes
- fixed issues with air vents

Antimatter engines anyone? :getin:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
New patch! New bugs! Careful, smaller asteroids have a tendency to disappear, but you can still crash into them. :keengames:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HOTDOG posted:

Been months since I logged in, mostly just lurked when I did but I made something I'm really proud of. I put on some old soviet war songs and naval hymns and a few hours later I had this...

It kinda got buried by update news, but that is a really cool ship.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Apparently Keen is going to have a twitch stream going tomorrow. I have no idea what it will be about, or what time, or what the link is.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So do hydrogen tanks explode well? Wondering which would be better for anti-capital missiles, hydrogen engines or a 30% charged battery with the old ion drives.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Hydrogen doesn't blow up on it's own very well in real life without oxygen to buddy up with it...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

GenericOverusedName posted:

Hydrogen doesn't blow up on it's own very well in real life without oxygen to buddy up with it...

That'd be one hell of a water-bomb.

What I've seen of hydrogen engines with tanks and piping are pretty nicely chunky. I hope they get good use as booster rockets for Large Ships.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Ah, Keen. They hosed poo poo up pretty bad this week. Ambition breeds destruction! Things I've noticed:

- Small ships connected to large ships connected to stations fights each other for equilibrium, causing all 3 to shudder violently and destroy everything involved,
- DX11 skyboxes are totally busted - CGA Nostaligia!
- Inventories that should not be connected remain so even after they are far away.
- Auto-sort mod is busted making life very vanilla, and dangerous for dependents like me.

Looking forward to the next hotfix. Game is currently unplayable :keen:

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 23, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

KSH posted:

when battery is not set to either recharge or discharge, it will allow both input and output, meaning it will recharge if there is surplus power on the grid, and discharge if there is not enough power otherwise

owns

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a lot of good in this patch (bugs aside), but the jetpack change is kinda crap to be honest. It's gonna be a nuisance for anyone who hasn't found ice yet and is stuck relying on the jetpack to get around. On the plus side, at least I can hack out my cheap programming-block fix to get batteries working in my gravity cannon shells though.

HOTDOG posted:

Is glorious soviet spacecraft! :ussr:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's pretty annoying that the large asteroids are partially transparent and the moving sun is now back to killing my performance.

As for hydrogen, the boosters sounds cool, but yeah, the jetpack fuel is pretty crap. I hope Keen at least enlarges the astronaut carrying capacity to compensate. And I also hope that you get 2 units of hydrogen for every unit of oxygen. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

It's pretty annoying that the large asteroids are partially transparent and the moving sun is now back to killing my performance.

As for hydrogen, the boosters sounds cool, but yeah, the jetpack fuel is pretty crap. I hope Keen at least enlarges the astronaut carrying capacity to compensate. And I also hope that you get 2 units of hydrogen for every unit of oxygen. :v:

Considering that apparently ships don't turn transparent and show their interiors past a certain distance anymore according to the bug forum, I'm guessing it was a general pass to fix LOD in general and they hosed up something bad.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

My Frigate scaled up nicely. Not to sure about the boat bays on ether side, they are only protected by the one layer of heavy armor. Since it was already conveyored to hell and back modding for full hydrogen thrusters was easy.

Hydrogen Thrusters look awesome

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Considering that apparently ships don't turn transparent and show their interiors past a certain distance anymore according to the bug forum, I'm guessing it was a general pass to fix LOD in general and they hosed up something bad.

Incredible, because last week it was pretty much perfect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

My Frigate scaled up nicely. Not to sure about the boat bays on ether side, they are only protected by the one layer of heavy armor. Since it was already conveyored to hell and back modding for full hydrogen thrusters was easy.

Hydrogen Thrusters look awesome

It's a sweet ship, but it really needs some modblock weapons that sit closer to the hull rather than the vanilla ones hanging off it.

I also gave the Avalon a bit of a paintjob similar to the Beluga's new one to try and pretty it up a little.

It's not going to get any hydrogen thrusters, just to keep as much of a complete armor hull as possible, but I'm definitely going to try adding them to some of the subcraft intended to fly in atmosphere.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm still waiting for them to add a mode to match velocity with a target ship.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a sweet ship, but it really needs some modblock weapons that sit closer to the hull rather than the vanilla ones hanging off it.

Yeah, I like to build vanilla first then refit with choice mods like oki or mwi weapons. But really the turrets need a pass over, they had the big base to store ammo before conveyors, its not necessary anymore, a base similar to the new small turrets would be a lot better.

I do hope weapons are on there list, gonna need more/better vanilla options to combat the spider hordes.

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
So with this update, doors default to an open state in SP on world load.

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013
Thanks guys. in update related comments the large ship thruster/inertia dampner nerf had totally broken all of my designs. I understand a 22,000 ton cruiser is supposed to be lumbering but this is absurd

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I mean in part it was necessary; with inertial dampening giving 10x thrust, you were going to see a ton of capital ships just floating effortlessly in planet gravity.

Maybe consider it an invitation to install a Gravity Drive as an emergency brake?

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013
I know I just got back into this game and right when I build a few things I'm proud of they don't work anymore. Takes me over 3km to stop even my lightest ship (4000 tons) from 100m/s, after I redesigned it to use hydrogen thrusters. I hope they can find a happy medium... maybe make ions useless in atmosphere or something. I'm a little torn though because I like feeling like my destroyer has some weight behind it.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
This update fixed the remote control autopilot not working.

This is wonderful news.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McGiggins posted:

This update fixed the remote control autopilot not working.

This is wonderful news.

The fact that it's pretty crash-tastic is not, however. Gotta sit tight and wait for the usual hotfix :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
In two hours, as of this post, KSH is doing a stream on Twitch to celebrate the second anniversary of Space Engineers. Please grab videos and pictures of anything good, because I'll be asleep during it :sigh:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I really like the Ashen Nebula skybox included in last week's update video (Workshop link) but that guy seems to not know or care how to do anything with the environment settings.

I've modified that skybox's Environment.sbc settings make the sun shine from the bright part of the nebula, slightly tinted the lighting to match the texture, and rotated it so that it's in the same direction as the vanilla sun, but I'm not inclined to publish it as it looks like he put a fair bit of work in converting a 2d picture from Deviantart into a 3d skybox (which makes it all the more odd that he refuses to put any work into the environment settings).

I've uploaded my Environment.sbc here so you can make a local mod, screenshot of it in action:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
How many large thrusters can a large reactor power? I feel like I never have a good bearing on engine to power ratio and make my decisions completely for cosmetic reasons.

I do genuinely think that all thrusters should have to be connected to either the conveyer system or to some sort of fuel tank.

• Locked thread