Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

CommieGIR posted:

.....what, why?

We have a lot of rotten tomatoes and cabbages that we need to get rid of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Fried Chicken posted:

Stepping up from Wednesday's record seizure at PP offices, Texas has now subpoenaed the records of planned parenthood patients who donated fetal tissue

Even if you give TX the benefit of the doubt, which is laughable even more so as a texan myself, I can't follow the legal logic trail on this. Would they accuse patients of getting kickbacks from the 'sale' of legal tissue they opted to donate?

What the gently caress is going on down here, they have to realize how bad this will look once it hits the national stage...could the DOJ step in to tell TX to stop this poo poo?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

Stepping up from Wednesday's record seizure at PP offices, Texas has now subpoenaed the records of planned parenthood patients who donated fetal tissue

Isn't that a major major HIPAA violation?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “Without Tom pushing it, I don’t think we would have had Romneycare. Without Romneycare, I don’t think we would have Obamacare. So, without [Staples founder Thomas Stemberg] a lot of people wouldn’t have health insurance.” ~ Willard Mitt Romney

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

Now imagine what would happen if 1) it wasn't an administrative hiccup, but an all-out 'we have no money now'; 2) was affecting all levels of investors and 3) was immediately and globally known to everyone.

The thing I wonder about is how bought-in the people are who voted for the Idiot Hell Fucker Suicide Squad that want to throw the world into a economic turmoil. Will these people be standing on the rooftops and shouting in victory, or feeling the anguish and turmoil of a collapsed economy? Will they even understand they voted for it?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Without Tom pushing it, I don’t think we would have had Romneycare. Without Romneycare, I don’t think we would have Obamacare. So, without [Staples founder Thomas Stemberg] a lot of people wouldn’t have health insurance.” ~ Willard Mitt Romney

:chanpop:

Irony is dead

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Joementum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aN2iuIhcx0

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Man. The nation really did dodge a bullet with this guy didn't it?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Cummings is about to announce that the Democrats are leaving the Benghazi committee. Good timing on this, as the coverage from yesterday gives them plenty of reasons.

Update: I guessed wrong and he's going to put out a statement that they're staying on the panel. Not sure why that needs a statement, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Constitutional Amendment to rename Obamacare to Staplecare.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Ripoff posted:

The thing I wonder about is how bought-in the people are who voted for the Idiot Hell Fucker Suicide Squad that want to throw the world into a economic turmoil. Will these people be standing on the rooftops and shouting in victory, or feeling the anguish and turmoil of a collapsed economy? Will they even understand they voted for it?

They will probably celebrate, thinking 'now the US is on a path to get rid of DEBT', then the gravity of the situation comes to them slowly.

So a little of each.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/get-ready-for-next-circus.html

So much for PP's plan to get the GOP off their back. It should have been obvious that they shouldn't give them an inch.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The conservative position is going to be that it's Obama's fault for not being willing to negotiate serious budget cuts or defund Planned Parenthood. That the debt is ruining America's future and therefore drastic measures were necessary to try to bring Obama to the table to deal with the emergency.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

CommieGIR posted:

.....what, why?

Well I'm sure it's totally not so that those names can be "accidentally" leaked in some widespread fashion, which would totally be what those goddamn sluts have coming be an unfortunate situation all around.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I'm guessing the nominal justification for the PP thing is they want to see how widespread the practice of donating fetal tissue was, and maybe ask the women in question whether the PP meanies pressured them into donating fetal tissue or something.

Of course the real purpose is loving with PP, but

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ripoff posted:

A substantial amount of them will be happy because they think they'll finally get to use their guns to defend their stocks of dehydrated Prepper Chow from the roaming welfare hordes and cash in their certificates for the purestrain gold they were suckered into buying at extremely inflated prices.

That'll last about half a week, until they realize their gold promissory notes are worthless, their Prepper Chow tastes like crap, and they end up shooting one of their family members by accident.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't trust these "officials" to protect the safety or confidentiality of PP staff and patients.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

Ripoff posted:

If it happens during a democratic presidency then it's obviously their fault. If the democrats had just capitulated on all of their principles this all could have been avoided.

They don't want to burn the world down, they just demand perfect ideological purity in all things... or they'll burn the world down.

EDIT: If the only way to repeal the ACA is to destroy the world economy then we have to do it, for our kids!

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 23, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That subpoena is not good it's a bit wishy washy but it's possible someone could then FOIA their office and try to get that information somehow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I got in this ridiculous argument over the Planned Parenthood thing a couple of weeks ago. My beloved crazy conservative family member kept screaming over and over that baby parts were being sold and I kept saying "I'm an organ donor, I'm perfectly ok with using body parts for science." To which my crazy conservative relative started questioning the "for science" part of it at which point I focused discussion off whether the claims had any validity and into what exactly she thought Planned Parenthood was doing.

"Why do you think Planned Parenthood is selling dead babies?"
"To make money."
"But why are they making money off it?"
"For profits."
"But why? Why would people want to pay money for them if not research?"
"To get rich."
"No, you're not listening. You're Planned Parenthood. You sell me dead babies. I give you money and you give me dead babies. What am I doing with the dead babies?"
"Because I want money."
"Yes, that's why YOU'RE selling dead babies and taking money for them but why am I giving money for them? What do I want?"
"You want money."
"That doesn't make sense. I just gave you money and got dead babies. What am I doing with dead babies that its worth money to me?"
"Making profit."
"HOW?!?! Medical research? Or am I just eating the babies? Am I building my own Frankenstein baby? What am I doing with the goddamned dead babies?!?!"

That went on for like 10 minutes.

Its Benghazi all over again. I've never once managed to get her to verbalize what the gently caress the accusation was with Bengazi and I'm confident that years from now I'll be asking the same beloved crazy conservative family member what the gently caress she thinks Planned Parenthood was doing with those dead babies with no answer.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 23, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shouldn't conservatives want there to be a profit motive? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hollismason posted:

That subpoena is not good it's a bit wishy washy but it's possible someone could then FOIA their office and try to get that information somehow.

FOIA doesn't allow for creating HIPPA violations.

But its Texas so that's probably exactly what will happen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

RuanGacho posted:

FOIA doesn't allow for creating HIPPA violations.

But its Texas so that's probably exactly what will happen.

That's not exactly true in regard to FOIA. That's kind of why I said it was wishy washy. I mean yea straight up they shouldn't be able to try and FOIA information from the AG office that is confidential information but ...

its Texas.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Joementum posted:

Update: I guessed wrong and he's going to put out a statement that they're staying on the panel. Not sure why that needs a statement, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Making it a formal statement drives home how stupid they think the whole affair is.

"Just in case you all thought we might blow this retard party, and we totally understand why you'd think that, we're staying on the panel."

It's arguably the right call, IMO. Outright walking off could potentially make the party look stronger/nicely tie up the witch hunt narrative and it would definitely play well within the base, but it could also easily backfire and make the Dems look really obstructionist and petty.

Leaving the panel early also feeds the whole "Dems don't care about the truth they just wanted to defend their precious Hillary" tack. While they could point to the conclusions of 7(?) prior Benghazi investigations to answer that, the existence and conclusions of those panels deffo didn't stop the creation of this latest one either.

Also, evidence of the democrats "acting unreasonable" could fire up the Horde and pump even more fuel onto their crusade. And in the "truth is in the middle" era of modern journalism, the Dems can't really afford to give an inch on conduct, lest they be tarred with the same brush as Gowdy & Friends by the mainstream press.

It's in their best interest to stick around and humor everyone. Plus, now with this statement they can look fed up and like they're sticking around to "keep those fuckers honest" to the base and objective and gracious to the mainstream.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 23, 2015

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Fetuses early enough for abortions don't have skin in the game so they can't participate in the Free Market.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Fetuses early enough for abortions don't have skin in the game so they can't participate in the Free Market.

Libertarian-Professor-friend-of-Ron-Paul Walter Block would disagree! His theory is that abortion is OK because the fetuses are tenants who haven't signed a contract with the landlord.

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

You joke, but I think the truth is they only care about capitalism insofar as it does not involve anything to do with sex, reproduction, gender identity, religion, or drugs.

I realize that was actually literally the punchline of the joke, but I thought it deserved to be reiterated.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

STAC Goat posted:

That went on for like 10 minutes.

STEP 1: Buy dead babies

STEP 2: ???

STEP 3: Profit!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ripoff posted:

They'll be shouting in victory then blame The Mexicans for the ensuing economic collapse

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc, Mitt. Didn't you watch West Wing?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Zombie Samurai posted:

STEP 1: Buy dead babies

STEP 2: ???

STEP 3: Profit!

STAC Goat, print up this post, put it in front of your relatives, point at the question marks, and say "what goes here?" at them until they actually give a drat answer.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

Libertarian-Professor-friend-of-Ron-Paul Walter Block would disagree! His theory is that abortion is OK because the fetuses are tenants who haven't signed a contract with the landlord.

Please tell me you have a link to this

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
Q

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

An Angry Bug posted:

STAC Goat, print up this post, put it in front of your relatives, point at the question marks, and say "what goes here?" at them until they actually give a drat answer.

Halal Deli?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, I made that joke during it (although she didn't get it because she only watches Conservative/religious stuff) but really, that wasn't even what she was arguing. She straight up wasn't recognizing that in a business transaction usually only one person is making a profit. That usually money is being exchanged for a good and that good serves some other purpose. I give McDonalds money because I want to eat what they give me. She wouldn't acknowledge that part of the transaction. What are these "dead baby buyers" doing with the dead babies once they get them? She wasn't even REALLY arguing "profit", she was just completely ignoring that part of the equation.

For her its all about the evils of Planned Parenthood buying Cadillacs with dead baby money. Rejecting/ignoring the other side of the conversation about medical research was really just intense forced myopia to stay focused on the true evil and never have to think about what she's saying.

Ultimately, that's what it comes down to with a lot of the modern conservative/Tea Party/Right Wing Media thinking. Its about that initial premise and never reconsidering it. I've got a couple of good Republican friends who don't fall into that trap. They're actually happy and willing to debate and think about issues and sometimes they change their minds. We disagree on judgment calls and moral calls and theories but we can agree on the facts. But for the Fox News Viewer its all the same thing. Facts ARE their judgments, theories, and morals. Asking them to rationally explain them or consider new ones just gets you nowhere.

And naturally that conversation ended exactly how all our conversations end (and how the Benghazi Committee clearly wanted their hearing to end). She stayed stubbornly irrational for so long that I lost my cool and started yelling and cursing so she then took the moral high ground, accused me of being unreasonable, and walked away.

Its why I only stupidly have these conversations when I've had a few drinks. And here comes the Holidays.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Please tell me you have a link to this

Here he is explaining "evictionism" at the Ron Paul 2012 rally at the 2012 RNC. It... did not go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5NehyUtyo&t=300s

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

Can't they tell Texas to gently caress off with that request since it seems very, very illegal and intended entirely to intimidate and terrorize those patients?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well I'm sure it's totally not so that those names can be "accidentally" leaked in some widespread fashion, which would totally be what those goddamn sluts have coming be an unfortunate situation all around.

It's Texas. They'd probably create a searchable database online and authorize it under the Those Dumb Sluts Were Asking For It Protecting Babies Act. There's no loving way the names don't get out if PP turns over the info.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hey, you know how you guys like to joke that The Onion isn't even satire anymore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwm-ffoXig

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

Here he is explaining "evictionism" at the Ron Paul 2012 rally at the 2012 RNC. It... did not go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z5NehyUtyo&t=300s

Hrmm , yeah I think this is what I should talk about at the RNC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I made that joke during it (although she didn't get it because she only watches Conservative/religious stuff) but really, that wasn't even what she was arguing. She straight up wasn't recognizing that in a business transaction usually only one person is making a profit. That usually money is being exchanged for a good and that good serves some other purpose. I give McDonalds money because I want to eat what they give me. She wouldn't acknowledge that part of the transaction. What are these "dead baby buyers" doing with the dead babies once they get them? She wasn't even REALLY arguing "profit", she was just completely ignoring that part of the equation.

For her its all about the evils of Planned Parenthood buying Cadillacs with dead baby money. Rejecting/ignoring the other side of the conversation about medical research was really just intense forced myopia to stay focused on the true evil and never have to think about what she's saying.

Ultimately, that's what it comes down to with a lot of the modern conservative/Tea Party/Right Wing Media thinking. Its about that initial premise and never reconsidering it. I've got a couple of good Republican friends who don't fall into that trap. They're actually happy and willing to debate and think about issues and sometimes they change their minds. We disagree on judgment calls and moral calls and theories but we can agree on the facts. But for the Fox News Viewer its all the same thing. Facts ARE their judgments, theories, and morals. Asking them to rationally explain them or consider new ones just gets you nowhere.

And naturally that conversation ended exactly how all our conversations end (and how the Benghazi Committee clearly wanted their hearing to end). She stayed stubbornly irrational for so long that I lost my cool and started yelling and cursing so she then took the moral high ground, accused me of being unreasonable, and walked away.

Its why I only stupidly have these conversations when I've had a few drinks. And here comes the Holidays.

The most charitable interpretation I can give is that she knows that medical researchers want fetal tissue because it is extremely useful for research purposes, but doesn't want to admit it. But that doesn't make any sense, because you can always put a kind of Dr. Mengele spin on dead baby research. The truth is she hasn't thought about any of it.

• Locked thread