Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Pickled Tink posted:

Should we be concerned that the home team has won every single match so far?

It's still early. If the home teams are undefeated after the first two rounds, I could look at shortening the tournament to just a six-round home-and-home vs each divisional opponent (i.e. eliminate the 12 rounds of intradivisional matches), with the playoff semifinals and finals taking place on a neutral site. It seems wrong to otherwise change the rules after the tournament has started though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't worry, my team is the home team in our match, so that's sure to buck the trend.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Jazzimus Prime posted:

It's still early. If the home teams are undefeated after the first two rounds, I could look at shortening the tournament to just a six-round home-and-home vs each divisional opponent (i.e. eliminate the 12 rounds of intradivisional matches), with the playoff semifinals and finals taking place on a neutral site. It seems wrong to otherwise change the rules after the tournament has started though.
I'm just wondering what the nature and size of the home team advantage is.

And changing the rules is fine so long as it is between rounds, rather than in the middle of a round of matches. At least then everyone has the same chance of benefiting/losing from them. Hell, you could even hand out bonus points every three or six rounds which would have the effect of lessening the impact of a home team advantage as the tournament goes on.

My concern is not at all brought on by the fact that my own team is the visiting team mostly in the first nine rounds. I'm just concerned that at present it may very well be overshadowing the builds etc themselves. Mind you, at least two of the visiting team losses have had appalling builds, so it may not be as bad as I think it is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What, precisely, is the actual home field advantage?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Pocket sand.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

A +1 bonus to the highest skill trained.

Skills that are already at Grand Master are ignored for the purposes of this calculation, as they cannot be improved further.

In the event that multiple skills are tied for the highest non-grandmaster skill rank, the first skill to appear in the arena skills menu receives the bonus.

So it's +1 to a single skill, which is certainly an advantage, but shouldn't be an overwhelming one.

Pickled Tink posted:

My concern is not at all brought on by the fact that my own team is the visiting team mostly in the first nine rounds. I'm just concerned that at present it may very well be overshadowing the builds etc themselves. Mind you, at least two of the visiting team losses have had appalling builds, so it may not be as bad as I think it is.

In the interest of fairness, the schedule generator guarantees that all teams will have exactly the same number of home and away matches in the regular season. Some teams may have a front-loaded schedule and some may have a back-loaded schedule, but that's kind of unavoidable.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 23, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I would have thought buffing the Fighter skill a level would have been both easier and fairer.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

I would have thought buffing the Fighter skill a level would have been both easier and fairer.

I have to agree with this one, especially since I don't think the advantage was common knowledge.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Captaindirtnap posted:

I have to agree with this one, especially since I don't think the advantage was common knowledge.

In fact, it's not on the site or in the OP in any fashion.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those of us who followed the last thread know it was talked about, but I don't think the specifics were laid out there (I wasn't even sure it was implemented until I asked). Going direct highest skill seems pretty damned horrible though. For example, I took wrestling 10 (spoilers), and wrestling 11 won't make much of a difference for me at all since I'm pretty sure almost no one took wrestling, especially not to that extent (Plus my Yeti is huge). I also know a bunch of people took two skills of the same level (Armour and weapon). Boosting the armour skill would have a much different (and smaller) effect on the fight than buffing the weapon skill (In fact, I would have advised selling down the armour skill a point had I known how it worked).

Fighting is factored in indirectly and would have been a more effective stand-in place-holder for a morale bonus (With archery for ranged characters?).

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 23, 2015

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I think the difference between a rank 3 and a rank 4 skill is lower than the difference between a rank 6 and a rank 7 skill as well, although I'm not sure about that. Might as well let the tournament keep using the same rules, just to see if it actually does matter that much. Can always change how it works for next time.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Given the randomness of both DF combat and the Arena Challenge process, I really doubt that a +1 to top skill is going to be especially significant. Give it a few rounds, and we'll get a better idea of how decisive it really is. You can't really fairly change it mid-season unless you're at a point where everyone has had the same number of home-field matches.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ghostwoods posted:

Given the randomness of both DF combat and the Arena Challenge process, I really doubt that a +1 to top skill is going to be especially significant. Give it a few rounds, and we'll get a better idea of how decisive it really is. You can't really fairly change it mid-season unless you're at a point where everyone has had the same number of home-field matches.

This. A sample size of 4 is nothing. Let's see how it goes for a round or two imo.

(The problem with giving ranks of Fighter skill is it may end up a nerf, as the fighter may take useless attacks of opportunity instead of using their main weapon.)

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Oh, shoot, this started. I was too busy to place bets and remember to update my fighter. I also mixed up whips and scourges. :downs: Sorry, team.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ghostwoods posted:

It's a small sample size, but it's actually kind of a major advantage. You have an increased chance to parry if you outskill your enemy as far as I know, which gives a fairly decisive advantage in equal fights. The fact that it's still random desn't make it fair.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Going for a liver blow on a dwarf? Low move, but just what one would expect from an elf, I suppose.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My platinum armor has betrayed me :arghfist: :aaa:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

My platinum armor has betrayed me :arghfist: :aaa:

And your gold thong did nothing. Not even in the combat log.

Edit: poo poo. No, they didnt have gold thongs so I didnt give you one. I tried though :(

Edit2: On second thought... They are called thongs, so I am assuming it's the poo poo to tie sandals with and not uncomfortable gold wedged in your asscrack.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 23, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

my dad posted:

You have an increased chance to parry if you outskill your enemy as far as I know, which gives a fairly decisive advantage in equal fights. The fact that it's still random desn't make it fair.

Yeah, but the fights aren't equal. The entire point of the Arena Challenge is that they're mostly batshit-crazy and ultra-complex. Also, the randomness I'm talking about is in the system, and nothing to do with the home field advantage, and yes, it's not fair, but over time it will even out.

Is the home field bonus going to be an advantage? Obviously, yes.
Is it going to be problematic? There is absolutely no way to tell from the first four fights.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Nudity prevails!

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
We've had five fights done so far. Spermy has run four, Galick has run one.

And the issue is that the current setup for the home advantage provides a non-trivial advantage, and is set up in a way that would have drastically altered builds had people known how it worked, especially on my team.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I had no idea it was a thing but I don't really mind either because this is a for-fun arena thing. Goons are known for being :spergin: over things though.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Pickled Tink posted:

is set up in a way that would have drastically altered builds

I suspect that this is the main problem, and personally, I can't think of a better reason for not providing the details beforehand.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
lmao if you planned your build instead of randomly guessing and maybe trying to stick to a theme

Last tournament I got to the semifinals with a fighter wearing a full suit of silver armor, just have fun with it!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ghostwoods posted:

Yeah, but the fights aren't equal. The entire point of the Arena Challenge is that they're mostly batshit-crazy and ultra-complex. Also, the randomness I'm talking about is in the system, and nothing to do with the home field advantage, and yes, it's not fair, but over time it will even out.

Is the home field bonus going to be an advantage? Obviously, yes.
Is it going to be problematic? There is absolutely no way to tell from the first four fights.

I'm currently complaining about something that is giving me an advantage, you know. :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Look, everyone, there is clearly a simple answer.

Nuke the tournament.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

jon joe posted:

Look, everyone, there is clearly a simple answer.

Nuke the tournament.

Not enough z-levels to reach orbit. :(

Since we can't be sure, carry on. If home field advantage is that good, we'll just have to make sure everyone plays the same number of home games.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

AJ_Impy posted:

we'll just have to make sure everyone plays the same number of home games.

Which is currently exactly what's happening.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Bad Munki posted:

Which is currently exactly what's happening.

You're right, that was phrased a bit too subtly.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe
My concern is that the home advantage is a non-trivial boost, and it means that it is looking pretty easy to guess who will win every fight. I dunno about the rest of you, but I find that a little dull.

Now yes, my team is visiting this round, so we'll probably eat a loss unless Spermy's team is all dumb builds and/or we get really lucky. I'm perfectly happy to eat a loss this round and carry on through the rest of the tournament with a much weaker home team advantage change made just so that I can actually not know which team will almost certainly be the winner of each match.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I probably should have made the home field advantage clear in the first post of the thread.

:siren: If the home teams have a combined 13-3 or better record after Round 2, we'll hold a vote in the thread to see how everyone wants to proceed. :siren:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Is it possible to give fighters the stat equivalent of a "morale boost"?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ChickenWing posted:

Is it possible to give fighters the stat equivalent of a "morale boost"?

Actually, yes, but morale is turned off by default because the fights between undisciplined combatants would basically be "1 person gets injured/killed, everyone else, including the attacker, runs into a corner and starts weeping and wailing about the horrors of war"

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Actually, yes, but morale is turned off by default because the fights between undisciplined combatants would basically be "1 person gets injured/killed, everyone else, including the attacker, runs into a corner and starts weeping and wailing about the horrors of war"

Slaves to Armok: God of Tears Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Instead we just fight while weeping and wailing about the horrors of war.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Krysmphoenix posted:

Instead we just fight while weeping and wailing about the horrors of war.

Yeah. Dwarf Fortress runs its emotions simulation event when their consequences are turned off, as can be seen from the not-very courageuos warcries of the arena fighters. Or when the character you control in the adventure mode starts crying because you made them kill a friend and they couldn't do anything about it but blindly obey.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

my dad posted:

"1 person gets injured/killed, everyone else, including the attacker, runs into a corner and starts weeping and wailing about the horrors of war"

Can we do a special tournament with this option on please, this sounds fantastic

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With snailmen

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sadly my ultimate build of 'all points in discipline' never got off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Urist McGladiator cancels fight opposing team: leading dodging demonstration