Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The hardest part about completing a venice -> byzantium run is getting a start where Austria doesn't have you rivaled jesus loving christ

e: Finally got it running and I really gotta hand it to Serbia for having the balls to go all out on survival. After losing most of the Serbian lands to me, they full-annexed Bosnia and kept the war going in their newly acquired lands.

e2: Getting Orthodox rebels is a complete total loving crapshoot. Whatever theory you have for getting them to spawn is objectively incorrect.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tendronai posted:

From Wiz's twitter, 1.14 cements itself as Best Patch by adding a continue button.

He stole that from HoI4 :mad:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

What are your revanchism bonuses from that?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cossacks looks like it could legitimately push EU4 into greatest-strategy-game-ever territory.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Darkrenown posted:

Espionage buffs :argh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just got this game from the Paradox sale on steam a couple weeks ago so I'm still a little new so I got a quick question. For some reason I'm addicted to these minor nation achievements so I'm working on the Re-reconquista right now. I hit the jackpot after like 7 starts and Portugal and Aragon double teamed Castille over Navarre so I managed to carve out provinces up to La Mancha for the gold mine and also released Leon as a vassal. I got big enough for Senpai To Notice Me (allied with Ottomans) so should I just be paying off my war loans and stockpiling up monarch points (keeping military tech up to date) to Westernize as soon as possible? Or should I be looking to weaken the Iberians a little more before doing so?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Want to chime in on the Cossacks expansion love to let the devs know we appreciate the excellent work given to eu4.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DStecks posted:

The Cossacks looks like it could legitimately push EU4 into greatest-strategy-game-ever territory.
Not until I can see my Combat Width on the Military screen next to my Morale and Discipline rather than having to go to the tech screen and do math :colbert:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Not until I can see my Combat Width on the Military screen next to my Morale and Discipline rather than having to go to the tech screen and do math :colbert:

Or modify the mechanics a bit to make it easier for the player to understand combat overall

Morale, Discipline, Combat Ability, Shock, Fire, Combat Width, Tactics... I am certain that I forgot something. Anyway, I don't think a DLC would be able to handle that stuff and perhaps only in a new EU game (given how well EU4 is going I doubt so) we would see dramatic changes in that sense

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Bort Bortles posted:

I like how there are a handful of quality of life changes that at this point I just assume are never going to be made. Gives the game character, like a splintery wooden doll.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If we're doing requests, in the sidebar thingie, make rebel factions that are in the 60-70% revolt risk range yellow, and that are in the 80-90% RR range red. TIA

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Bort Bortles posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/656881424797179904

:colbert:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So my Ottoman game I posted about was going great, even after my nearly 30 years in a row of regency. I decided to load it up while I was at work and play for a bit, when I got back home last night and loaded it up at home again, it was somehow no longer Ironman. I am sad that I have to start all the way over now after I had such a great start. Any idea what could have caused it to un-ironman itself? Can I not play a cloud save on two different computers or something?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

The Cossacks looks like it could legitimately push EU4 FURTHER into greatest-strategy-game-ever territory.

:colbert:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Eej posted:

Just got this game from the Paradox sale on steam a couple weeks ago so I'm still a little new so I got a quick question. For some reason I'm addicted to these minor nation achievements so I'm working on the Re-reconquista right now. I hit the jackpot after like 7 starts and Portugal and Aragon double teamed Castille over Navarre so I managed to carve out provinces up to La Mancha for the gold mine and also released Leon as a vassal. I got big enough for Senpai To Notice Me (allied with Ottomans) so should I just be paying off my war loans and stockpiling up monarch points (keeping military tech up to date) to Westernize as soon as possible? Or should I be looking to weaken the Iberians a little more before doing so?

It would probably help if you posted a screenshot of how far along you are exactly (how much land you have, what year it is, what your tech/ideas are like so far)

But broad strokes

Westernization can wait, you don't want any neighbors stronger than you when you are westernizing because they can and will take advantage of your weakness. Pummel Castille/Aragon some more and start Westernizing hopefully before France notices or shares a border with you

Totally doing the right thing keeping up on miltech, if you set your national focus to that and conserve mil points as much as possible you can keep up in tech with westerners for a long time before they start pulling ahead on the power of having more ideas unlocked.

Also worth considering since you're in the perfect position to smother 2 of the biggest colonizers in the crib you can take their place and get rich off the new world.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

deathbagel posted:

So my Ottoman game I posted about was going great, even after my nearly 30 years in a row of regency. I decided to load it up while I was at work and play for a bit, when I got back home last night and loaded it up at home again, it was somehow no longer Ironman. I am sad that I have to start all the way over now after I had such a great start. Any idea what could have caused it to un-ironman itself? Can I not play a cloud save on two different computers or something?

I use my steam cloud saves on the iMac at work and on the PC at home, never had a problem where it un-ironmanned it self.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eej posted:

The Iberians will hate you forever, so if at all possible you want to weaken them further, but wait until they are fighting amongst themselves to do it. Your priorities should be colonization, and allying with France. The Ottomans are a fantastic ally for dissuading other people from attacking you, but if they do attack, the Ottomans are too far away to really be of help to you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any chance of getting better dual monitor support? I have two monitors, and even in fullscreen mode, the cursor still moves to the other monitor and the game scrolls endlessly. I have to disable the other monitor every time I play.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:monocle: Thank you for sharing, I do not follow the tweeter world.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ah poop, thanks for the Granada advice but I looked away from my rebellion meter for a little two long and it ticked twice in two months at 80% and spawned two stacks of Castillans that were both equal to my standing army. Oh well, lesson learned.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Merc up. Loans are easy to pay off.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kalos posted:

The hardest part about completing a venice -> byzantium run is getting a start where Austria doesn't have you rivaled jesus loving christ

e: Finally got it running and I really gotta hand it to Serbia for having the balls to go all out on survival. After losing most of the Serbian lands to me, they full-annexed Bosnia and kept the war going in their newly acquired lands.

e2: Getting Orthodox rebels is a complete total loving crapshoot. Whatever theory you have for getting them to spawn is objectively incorrect.

You're correct that getting Orthodox Zealot stacks to spawn is a pain in the dick, mostly you'll get separatists. Even if you do spawn rebels, your vassals and allies will gleefully kill them off before they can convert much (if any) provinces.

However, you don't need to actually spawn a rebel stack as long as you have 50%+ Orthodox provinces. Send a missionary to a province without Separatism, let the month tick over and it should now be building towards Orthodox Zealot revolt. You can just go into the menu and accept rebel demands to convert Orthodox without fiddling with rebel stacks.

I hosed up my first Venice -> Byz run by getting too expansionistic and grabbing a bunch of Mamluk and Italian provinces. That put me under 50% Orthodox and my vassals were too willing to kill zealots for them to ever flip enough provinces for me to go Orthodox.

Venice -> Byzantium, simplified:
1. restart until Poland and Austria are rivaled to the Ottomans, Austria that's a bit tricky but at least they shouldn't rival you.
2. beat up the Balkans (Ragusa, Albania, Serbia, Bosnia) probably vassalize the last two. Serbia and Bosnia often fight each other, vassalize the winner if that happens. Snag Achaea, Morea, Athens off Byzantium. Be aggressive about all of that to get Albania and Byz provinces before Ottomans do. MERCS.
3. build up galley fleet and look to attack Ottomans with your allies (Poland + hopefully Austria) ASAP, take as many Byz cores as possible off them. MERCS.
4. while waiting on truce with Ottos, pursue another direction of expansion. Original guide recommends Hungary, I like Mamluks. Italy* is fine too, whatever.
5. culture convert to Greek and flip to Orthodox ASAP (insult the Pope and enact Statute in Restraint of Appeals first). The Dominican Inquisition event requires you be Catholic but it is NOT worth waiting for. The longer you put off going Orthodox the more you have to deal with poo poo religious unity, revolts, and it becomes nearly impossible if you go under 50% Orthodox provinces.
6. the second +RT event fires between 1520 and 1560, aim to own the necessary provinces and form Byz around 1550.

You can get access to the Red Sea by invading the Mamluks which allows you to colonize Africa and Asia ahead of the Iberians (take Exploration) if you want. Don't get Humanist, especially if you take Plutocratic. I recommend Administrative, you'll be running on manpower fumes until you form Byz and build yourself up a bit, late 1500s. MERCS MERCS MERCS.

Edit: there was also the suggestion to vassalize Byzantium before the Ottomans take Constantinople, that might work pretty well too. Take Influence if you do that.

*The original author says you should be able to conquer most of Italy by ~1550 when you form Byz but he is huffing his own farts. Naples is most likely under PU to Aragon or Castile, everyone else in Italy is an HRE member until 1490. You're not going to attack Austria, Aragon, or Castile and you can hardly afford the manpower and points for the wars and coring/peace settlements. It's a good idea to stat pushing into Italy but it's not an easy target and one that will take a long time to finish off. You can go after the Papal State if they don't have strong allies.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 23, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
You can conquer most of Italy by 1550 with few problems, you have 60 years to eat a bunch of smallish countries in the north and France or Castile can help you take Naples from Aragon

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yashichi posted:

You can conquer most of Italy by 1550 with few problems, you have 60 years to eat a bunch of smallish countries in the north and France or Castile can help you take Naples from Aragon

I guess my issue there is those are not "smallish" countries, Milan Florence Genoa and Savoy will all field 15-20 stacks and northern Italy is a mess of alliances. You also run into AE problems quickly expanding into all that rich same-culture and religion territory.

I mean it might be doable but I don't think it's really a reasonable goal for most playthroughs.

I do agree with the original author you want to conquer most of Italy through vassals if possible, remember you want to keep ~50% or more Orthodox provinces so you can easily convert. And you probably don't have much spare ADM points to core Italy anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PittTheElder posted:

Merc up. Loans are easy to pay off.

I don't know if I'm playing the game right but when I'm playing as a minor nation I pretend I'm a modern nation state and take massive loans, grab Economic ideas to chip away at the inflation and interest and use it to fund my wars and infrastructure and basically am never fully debt free cause there's always something else to build which will give me a constantly growing advantage.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Pellisworth posted:

I guess my issue there is those are not "smallish" countries, Milan Florence Genoa and Savoy will all field 15-20 stacks and northern Italy is a mess of alliances. You also run into AE problems quickly expanding into all that rich same-culture and religion territory.

I mean it might be doable but I don't think it's really a reasonable goal for most playthroughs.

I do agree with the original author you want to conquer most of Italy through vassals if possible, remember you want to keep ~50% or more Orthodox provinces so you can easily convert. And you probably don't have much spare ADM points to core Italy anyway.

Well, actually I'm no star player, but I had a significant bunch of northern/central Italy conquered by 1519 as Florence, and almost all of it by 1560, with no vassal feeding at all (I didn't understand yet how it worked) and with no coalitions against me, so it's not THAT hard.

I bet a veteran player could have also grabbed the spare bits that I was still missing - Savoy, Milan, Provence and so on. You will need good allies and powerful military though, having Quantity + being best buddies with Austria helped a lot there :v:

Edit: I now realize it's not really significant when talking about a Venice->Byz run, but hey, bragging about my finest game ever never gets old :smug:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 23, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TorakFade posted:

Well, actually I'm no star player but I had a significant bunch of northern/central Italy conquered by 1519 as Florence, and almost all of it by 1560, with no vassal feeding at all (I didn't understand yet how it worked) and with no coalitions against me, so it's not THAT hard.

I bet a veteran player could have also grabbed the spare bits that I was still missing - Savoy, Milan, Provence and so on. You will need good allies and powerful military though, having Quantity + being best buddies with Austria helped a lot there :v:

I'm a little stuck in my Florence game, as I've take everything north of the Papal States (with the help of my buddy Austria), but the Pope is allied with both Austria and Castile, and well... yeah. I should probably go after Africa/the Mamluks until the situation in Italy is more advantageous.

I've given Austria a couple provinces and we seem to be staying fairly friendly. Really, really looking forward to the new trust/alliance stuff in the Cossacks so I can make a more reliable buddy/ally.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Well, actually I'm no star player, but I had a significant bunch of northern/central Italy conquered by 1519 as Florence, and almost all of it by 1560, with no vassal feeding at all (I didn't understand yet how it worked) and with no coalitions against me, so it's not THAT hard.

The difference to the Venice->Byz strategy is pretty important though, since you weren't also conquering the Ottomans at the same time.

Fintilgin posted:

I'm a little stuck in my Florence game, as I've take everything north of the Papal States (with the help of my buddy Austria), but the Pope is allied with both Austria and Castile, and well... yeah. I should probably go after Africa/the Mamluks until the situation in Italy is more advantageous.

I've given Austria a couple provinces and we seem to be staying fairly friendly. Really, really looking forward to the new trust/alliance stuff in the Cossacks so I can make a more reliable buddy/ally.

Who are you allied to? Is it France? Can you just attack Castile instead and get at the Papal States that way?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^^ E: yes I noticed that, in fact I edited my previous post - I'm not really used to doing the real crazy stuff, I'm still learning the game!

Fintilgin posted:

I had the "Pope allied with Castile" problem too, I just waited until Castile was waist deep in yet another war with Aragon and wasn't willing to join him. Took a lot of patience, but I was Reformed and it was nice finally eradicating Catholicism from Italy :D

Alternatively, you could probably fabricate a claim or something and declare war on one of his lesser allies to drag him in the war and just eat the double cost for grabbing his provinces, that has worked many times for me.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Yashichi posted:

Even with some really bad luck I had secured everything except the Papal State, Milan, and Savoy at their starting date borders by 1550. It's totally doable but I had an early crisis where I was attacked by an ascendant Mamluks and a still dangerous Ottomans at the same time and France, Austria, and Poland all declined call to arms (by some miracle all 3 were bogged down in wars and left with <5% manpower and 1k+ ducat debt)

Even though I still managed to win that war (naval dominance is an incredible crutch to lean on when you're outnumbered in the med) it took the better part of 20 years and left me 2 dip techs behind after all the war exhaustion settled down.

Also neat trick is if you're like me and you've been raising autonomy to not have to deal with rebellions wherever possible (basically anywhere there is 5-10% unrest) is that you can form Greece, which will give you one random basetax in a greek province AND a 20 year boost to passive autonomy reduction. (Also greek ideas are pretty great, not Byzantium great, but comparable)

This bonus doesn't stack with the bonus you get when you form Byzantium it just gets refreshed, but since you need less provinces to form Greece than Byz, if you already have the effect modifiers from Venice, but are missing the last provinces to form Byz, form Greece.

edit: Also greek has a dope rear end color on the map :hist101:

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 23, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Eej posted:

I don't know if I'm playing the game right but when I'm playing as a minor nation I pretend I'm a modern nation state and take massive loans, grab Economic ideas to chip away at the inflation and interest and use it to fund my wars and infrastructure and basically am never fully debt free cause there's always something else to build which will give me a constantly growing advantage.

I like stacking interest reduction ideas. By default, EU4 loans accrue interest at 4% per annum, tracked monthly. This means that you need to make at least 4 ducats/year from a 100-ducat loan (for, say, a temple or workshop) to pay it off. That's a monthly return of 0.33 - unless you're China doubling down on Chinaware-producing provinces, or some random German doubling down on mud-producing provinces, you're probably not going to see numbers like that out of your buildings. But if you cut your interest rate (administrative and economic ideas get you down to 2%) then suddenly this is very profitable. It's a lot easier to rationalize taking loans to build buildings as long as their return is >= 0.17. Knock it down to 1% with the administrative-economic policy and you only need 0.09 ducats a month. Genoa, Austria, Gotland, Hamburg, The Hansa, and Tuscany can get the rate down to 0.25% natively, which means you only need to make 0.03 monthly on a 100-ducat building for it to make sense. You quickly get to the point where taking loans allows you to print money faster than you have to pay it back in interest.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The National Bank idea gives you an event to restructure your loans to 24 months instead of 12 months, which effectively cuts your inflation from loans in half. The event also gives you a free -5 inflation and +1 stability.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PittTheElder posted:

Who are you allied to? Is it France? Can you just attack Castile instead and get at the Papal States that way?

I'm allied to Austria and they've been bros. They're also huge, and the HRE.

They are also allied to the Pope.

Yeah, I'm considering some options like just attacking Castile so I can hit both the Pope and Naples, but the non-cobeligierent penalties are pretty steep, I think, so I'm not sure how much I'd realistically be able to take.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I'm considering some options like just attacking Castile so I can hit both the Pope and Naples, but the non-cobeligierent penalties are pretty steep, I think, so I'm not sure how much I'd realistically be able to take.
You could make separate peaces with the countries you want to nuke - have the separate peace only be "annul alliance" so the truce is less than the time they have to wait to re-form the alliances, then kill them in direct wars.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dibujante posted:

I like stacking interest reduction ideas. By default, EU4 loans accrue interest at 4% per annum, tracked monthly. This means that you need to make at least 4 ducats/year from a 100-ducat loan (for, say, a temple or workshop) to pay it off. That's a monthly return of 0.33 - unless you're China doubling down on Chinaware-producing provinces, or some random German doubling down on mud-producing provinces, you're probably not going to see numbers like that out of your buildings. But if you cut your interest rate (administrative and economic ideas get you down to 2%) then suddenly this is very profitable. It's a lot easier to rationalize taking loans to build buildings as long as their return is >= 0.17. Knock it down to 1% with the administrative-economic policy and you only need 0.09 ducats a month. Genoa, Austria, Gotland, Hamburg, The Hansa, and Tuscany can get the rate down to 0.25% natively, which means you only need to make 0.03 monthly on a 100-ducat building for it to make sense. You quickly get to the point where taking loans allows you to print money faster than you have to pay it back in interest.

Also if you're Catholic you can spend 50 Papal Influence for Forgive Usury but I'm not sure how that stacks up against the permanent Mercantilism bonus or having free Stability on hand.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

You don't take very much, you just make them annul treaties with Austria, then beat them up 6 years later.

e: Although annoyingly, that won't be an option for you, because Austria will be in the war with you probably. Meaning their alliance with the Papal States will get auto-annulled by the war, and you won't be able to make them annul the alliance for the full 10 years. But the same principle holds, you can just take a small bite out of them, and hope they don't re-ally Austria.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 23, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

You could make separate peaces with the countries you want to nuke - have the separate peace only be "annul alliance" so the truce is less than the time they have to wait to re-form the alliances, then kill them in direct wars.

PittTheElder posted:

You don't take very much, you just make them annul treaties with Austria, then beat them up 6 years later.

Oh, yeah! Frickin' duh.

The best thing about being 'Bad At Videogames' is you can play for hundreds of hours and still find basic/obvious poo poo challenging. :shobon:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: converting away from Catholicism doesn't remove any of the modifiers from papal actions like forgiving usury.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Oh my god, that stupid Polandball mod just took a loving terrifying turn.

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
What is that weird-rear end tumor growing out of <lovely german minor>?

• Locked thread