Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Your Sledgehammer posted:

Because we've only managed to barely scratch the surface in truly understanding how the universe works, and even in our limited understanding, we've managed to gently caress up quite a large number of things. The other thing to realize is that we'll never have full knowledge of the way the world/universe/nature works, because despite what we've been lead to believe, we are not capable of understanding things from a truly objective point of view. "Objectivity" in the scientific sense is impossible, which is something that even science itself is willing to admit.

Yes, I loving know we're not 100% objective. Don't lecture me on why we can't be "fully" in control of nature when you're the one who used the drat term. If your response is to turn around and say "haha, full control is impossible", then you deliberately made a nonsensical statement. Take that poo poo to GBS.

Let me try again. What, to you, is "nature" and why shouldn't we have control over it to the fullest extent possible? Because we sometimes get things wrong? Why should (for example) you be allowed to post, if you have full control over your post and might get something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Your Sledgehammer posted:

But it's not only a problem when you're limited to a confined space. Every aspect of modern life (space travel, the Internet, smartphones, you name it) requires resources to produce. Resources are limited and we will one day either run out or encounter physical limits associated with burning/using/consuming resources (hello climate change!). The technological explosion of the last century or so has been predicated totally on the back of fossil fuels; without them, most of what you see around you would not exist. Potential energy sources other than fossil fuels we could transition to (such as solar cells) would also not exist without fossil fuels. By definition, discovery of extraplanetary fossil fuels would first require us to find life elsewhere in the universe. Whether you are willing to admit it or not, we are beginning to bump up against some hard physical limits and there is not a clear answer as to how we're going to get ourselves out of it.

There are basically infinite resources sitting in our solar system, waiting to be used, friend.

e:vvvv one could say much the same about your mom vvvvv :jerkbag:

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 23, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why is it a good thing to allow humans to leave Earth, and why should I care whether future generations are able to explore space? Just keep us on this planet and "abort" the rest of our species before they're born.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Radbot posted:

Why is it a good thing to allow humans to leave Earth, and why should I care whether future generations are able to explore space? Just keep us on this planet and "abort" the rest of our species before they're born.

Why don't you just kill yourself then?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If we ever reach the point of "natural" control in which we can essentially materialize things from other things or from nothing (replicators and/or nano-reconstructive technologies), the "but what if we run out???" fear is utterly moot. And it is entirely possible, and possibly likely, that we will get that far, so long as we don't die before then.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Unfortunately we don't have the time to wait around for fantasy technologies to save us.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

KaptainKrunk posted:

Unfortunately we don't have the time to wait around for fantasy technologies to save us.

Nobody is saying this either, christ.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

blowfish posted:

Why don't you just kill yourself then?

Because there's a difference between people already here and people that aren't here yet, Mr. Pro Life.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

How are u posted:

Nobody is saying this either, christ.

Sure they are, perhaps implicitly. Keeping warming under 2 C is impossible without severe cuts that policymakers aren't willing to consider. The hope is that things aren't going to as bad as scientists think, we can geoengineer our way out of the problem, or vast improvements in renewable energy will rapidly cut emissions in the next decade and a half.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who would consider dangerous geoengineering projects rather than entertain the possibility that we could or should change our current consumption patterns/economic system.

I also think talk of replicators or somehow fleeing our planet just distracts from the topic at hand, so my statement was also partially aimed at that too.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

KaptainKrunk posted:

Sure they are, perhaps implicitly. Keeping warming under 2 C is impossible without severe cuts that policymakers aren't willing to consider. The hope is that things aren't going to as bad as scientists think, we can geoengineer our way out of the problem, or vast improvements in renewable energy will rapidly cut emissions in the next decade and a half.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who would consider dangerous geoengineering projects rather than entertain the possibility that we could or should change our current consumption patterns/economic system.

I also think talk of replicators or somehow fleeing our planet just distracts from the topic at hand, so my statement was also partially aimed at that too.

Sure, OK.

I'm working in the climate change lobby right now and all of us are not exactly wishing on a wing and a prayer for some magical techno-savior to come and deliver us from climate change. We recognize that the current emission reduction pledges obviously won't hold us under 2C, and we are not naively hoping that things are not as bad as they seem and I can loving guarantee you that no serious loving person involved in CC advocacy in Washington is pushing loving geo-engineering.

No. We recognize that we work within a flawed system, but at the same time we also recognize that climate change is far and away becoming one of the most important and relevant issues of our time. Feel free to look up the polling on how the millenial generation feels about climate change vs everybody older. Times are changing, and times are changing quickly. Paris 2015 won't be the end-all solution, but it will set up a basic framework. We are betting on the fact that the younger generations that are rapidly overtaking the old guard will take the framework we build today and improve upon it in the near future.

Just to reiterate: Nobody who is seriously involved in real climate change advocacy today, right now, in Washington DC, is crossing their fingers for some loving science miracle oror geoengineering projects. Nor do we naively hope that things won't be as bad as science predicts.

We're not idiots, you fucker.

e: maybe the people you talk to on reddit are advocating geo-engineering, but if that's the case you should stick to talking about it with them and not painting people who are fighting for our loving future as dipshit nerd morons.

How are u fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 24, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I thought people who lobby were supposed to be personable and not call people idiot fucker nerds.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

I thought people who lobby were supposed to be personable and not call people idiot fucker nerds.

did you not notice you're posting on something awful?

How are u posted:

No. We recognize that we work within a flawed system, but at the same time we also recognize that climate change is far and away becoming one of the most important and relevant issues of our time. Feel free to look up the polling on how the millenial generation feels about climate change vs everybody older. Times are changing, and times are changing quickly. Paris 2015 won't be the end-all solution, but it will set up a basic framework. We are betting on the fact that the younger generations that are rapidly overtaking the old guard will take the framework we build today and improve upon it in the near future.

Just to reiterate: Nobody who is seriously involved in real climate change advocacy today, right now, in Washington DC, is crossing their fingers for some loving science miracle oror geoengineering projects. Nor do we naively hope that things won't be as bad as science predicts.

e: maybe the people you talk to on reddit are advocating geo-engineering, but if that's the case you should stick to talking about it with them and not painting people who are fighting for our loving future as dipshit nerd morons.

Do you think Paris is the last chance for a framework through the cop process?

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
:psyduck:

Holy poo poo

Some of the people who are involved in the climate change lobby think the colonization of space is a practical solution to climate change

gently caress everything those idiot physicists and engineers at NASA say about how unfeasible this is, we're going TO SPACE

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Holy poo poo

Some of the people who are involved in the climate change lobby think the colonization of space is a practical solution to climate change

gently caress everything those idiot physicists and engineers at NASA say about how unfeasible this is, we're going TO SPACE

:wtc:

are you confusing something awful forums posting with actual policy

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

How are u posted:

Sure, OK.

I'm working in the climate change lobby right now

:eyepop:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Holy poo poo

Sending oil and gas CEOs and lobbyists into space would be a solution.

It's not the most practical, but I appreciate the theatrics.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
At least population growth slows down/becomes negative once people reach a certain level of wealth. So that's a plus.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Radbot posted:

Because everything else on and about earth is unquestionably hosed dead in a couple of hundred million years if nothing gets off this rock. And if you don't care about that, then yeah, stop posting dumb crap or just off your selfish rear end already.

edit: million is not thousand

Batham fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 24, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Batham posted:

Because everything else on and about earth is unquestionably hosed dead in a couple of hundred thousand years if nothing gets off this rock. And if you don't care about that, then yeah, stop posting dumb crap or just off your selfish rear end already.

You realize your statement isn't based on scientific conclusions, right?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Batham posted:

Because everything else on and about earth is unquestionably hosed dead in a couple of hundred thousand years if nothing gets off this rock. And if you don't care about that, then yeah, stop posting dumb crap or just off your selfish rear end already.

If the human species have to survive in a pressure chamber with an artificial ecology, it might as well be on Earth.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Trabisnikof posted:

You realize your statement isn't based on scientific conclusions, right?

True, I went too far by stating that everything is hosed. Microbes will probably survive a lot longer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Batham posted:

True, I went too far by stating that everything is hosed. Microbes will probably survive a lot longer.

I get you want an excuse for your depression, but science doesn't support the conclusion that all the plants and animals will die if humans are on earth in X years.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

I get you want an excuse for your depression, but science doesn't support the conclusion that all the plants and animals will die if humans are on earth in X years.

Sure it does, and it has nothing to do with humans.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Batham posted:

It does and it has nothing to do with humans.

Oh I didn't realize we were discussing the sun going red giant in the climate change thread.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh I didn't realize we were discussing the sun going red giant in the climate change thread.

Don't worry, I also "mistyped" hundred thousands of years instead of hundreds of millions years.

And about it not fitting in the climate change thread, sure it does... it's just a bit more extreme and long term climate change. :smug:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Have we done anything about red giant mitigation?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Banana Man posted:

I seriously think a lot about how to adapt and mitigate the great heat death

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Banana Man posted:

We could tie a giant engine to the Earth and thrust prograde to raise our orbit :science:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Elysium was a documentary to some.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

Gov. Pat McCrory signed a controversial environmental deregulation bill Friday, despite a last-minute lobbying push from environmentalists who wanted him to veto the legislation.

House Bill 765, which passed the legislature last month, is a 71-page bill with dozens of provisions that supporters say will eliminate unnecessary regulations facing businesses.

McCrory did not make any public comments about his support for the deregulation bill. It was among seven bills he signed Friday, and his public signing event focused on a bill that will expand governing powers for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians.

The N.C. Conservation Network opposed provisions that will eliminate protections for streams that dry up in the summer, cut back on air quality monitors and allow polluters legal protections if they voluntarily disclose violations.

The group, which represents about 100 environmental organizations, helped organize 5,000 emails and 250 phone calls to McCrory urging a veto.

The N.C. Sierra Club blasted the governor for signing the bill. “H 765 may well be the worst environmental bill of McCrory’s three years as governor, and yet he has made it law with his signature,” director Molly Diggins said in a news release. “The governor missed an opportunity to stand up for clean air, clean water and healthy communities.”

The final version of the bill dropped several controversial positions. One would have repealed the requirement that manufacturers recycle electronics that people discard. The proposal will instead get a formal study.

Rep. Pat McElraft, an Emerald Isle Republican, sponsored the original version of the bill and said the final compromise with the Senate strikes a good balance.

“We haven’t loosened any environmental regulations that would hurt our water, our air, or our state in any way,” she told legislators ahead of a final 73-39 vote. “It’s clean, it’s green, and it’s not extreme. This is about balancing ecology and economy, and we have to do that in order to create jobs.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article41240022.html#storylink=cpy

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Banana Man posted:

Forget red giant mitigation, what's this thread's solution to the eventual heat death of the universe huh?!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Uhh, I'd like to cite Asimov, Isaac, and his paper on the subject.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Anosmoman posted:

If the human species have to survive in a pressure chamber with an artificial ecology, it might as well be on Earth.

If that pressure chamber with an artificial ecology can fly around and visit other solar systems in a reasonable amount of time it...well, sounds pretty drat awesome. Sign me up, I want to fly around in the one of those. I'll clean the drat toilets for the rest of my life if it means I get to fly around and see cool space things while doing it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If that pressure chamber with an artificial ecology can fly around and visit other solar systems in a reasonable amount of time it...well, sounds pretty drat awesome. Sign me up, I want to fly around in the one of those. I'll clean the drat toilets for the rest of my life if it means I get to fly around and see cool space things while doing it.

:agreed:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Fly as fast as you can; you won't live to see anything we haven't already visited up close with a probe. If you fly for 35 years maybe you can pass a voyager.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All we have to do is invent the warp speed, and aliens will help us cure disease, poverty, and war within the next 30 years

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

All we have to do is invent the warp speed, and aliens will help us cure disease, poverty, and war within the next 30 years

cool

if they don't we still have a kickass warp drive

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are we screwed again it is the thread on another one of its "it's not so bad get out and fix it goon" kicks?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Are we screwed again it is the thread on another one of its "it's not so bad get out and fix it goon" kicks?

No, all hope is lost so we took a sharp right straight into space colonization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Space technology has been advancing pretty strongly and this rock is turning into a hideous mess so it's only natural to look at space and say "hey let's go gently caress that up too."

• Locked thread