Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

You probably don't need 3x Iron Halo (or any, really), since it's mutually exclusive with the Tempest Blade. If I recall, a good card in Warlord cycle was Primal Howl, since it's really not that uncommon for two warlords to share the same planet and it's a 2 shield, which is generally really useful in loving up combat math.

Elite units are interesting in that they are super vulnerable to stuff like Archon's Terror and Klaivex Warleader and Fury of Sicarius and Eldorath, etc etc, but there's a lot of power in one card there. I only really play them on match point planets, which happens late game where I'm probably running out of gas, depending on how well I've been doing in the command struggles. But some Elites can definitely solo a planet (Shrieking Harpy, whatever the Area Effect 3 in Chaos is, Sa'cea Broadside), or at the very least, create a huge threat that has to be dealt with soon. Like even the presence of a Dreadnaught is pretty bad, especially if their warlord is bloodied, since it generally means they can't put a Warlord on that planet unless they figure out how to disable the elite. You don't want a fist full of them (I usually only put 2-3 in a deck), but they definitely have their place late game when you want some more punch than a Viorla Marksman.

Also, they are immune to the Shrieking Harpy's exhaust effect and the Tau's bounce effect, which are both really strong and gently caress up combat math severely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Great Devourer is a great big box. If you have people with tokens, it is all you need for a complete (at the moment) faction.

At this moment, each faction has more or less the same number of cards, including the tyranids. I hope the game is in this 'level playing field' state at the end of each cycle.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

GrandpaPants posted:

You probably don't need 3x Iron Halo (or any, really), since it's mutually exclusive with the Tempest Blade. If I recall, a good card in Warlord cycle was Primal Howl, since it's really not that uncommon for two warlords to share the same planet and it's a 2 shield, which is generally really useful in loving up combat math.

Elite units are interesting in that they are super vulnerable to stuff like Archon's Terror and Klaivex Warleader and Fury of Sicarius and Eldorath, etc etc, but there's a lot of power in one card there. I only really play them on match point planets, which happens late game where I'm probably running out of gas, depending on how well I've been doing in the command struggles. But some Elites can definitely solo a planet (Shrieking Harpy, whatever the Area Effect 3 in Chaos is, Sa'cea Broadside), or at the very least, create a huge threat that has to be dealt with soon. Like even the presence of a Dreadnaught is pretty bad, especially if their warlord is bloodied, since it generally means they can't put a Warlord on that planet unless they figure out how to disable the elite. You don't want a fist full of them (I usually only put 2-3 in a deck), but they definitely have their place late game when you want some more punch than a Viorla Marksman.

Also, they are immune to the Shrieking Harpy's exhaust effect and the Tau's bounce effect, which are both really strong and gently caress up combat math severely.

Good point re: iron halo. I did look at primal howl, since that seemed like a reasonable way to generate card advantage. Swapping 3 halos for 3 Primals, I think.

I'd love to throw in a big defender like a Land Raider or a Dreadnought. (Land Raider seems like the better cost effective option) Maybe go only 2 Primal Howl, and then ditch....something like Exterminatus? Idk, that seems like a must-have reset button.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Deviant posted:

Good point re: iron halo. I did look at primal howl, since that seemed like a reasonable way to generate card advantage. Swapping 3 halos for 3 Primals, I think.

I'd love to throw in a big defender like a Land Raider or a Dreadnought. (Land Raider seems like the better cost effective option) Maybe go only 2 Primal Howl, and then ditch....something like Exterminatus? Idk, that seems like a must-have reset button.

Exterminatus is by far the least used of the reset buttons for me (#1 is Warpstorm, #2 is Doom), since it's expensive and kinda requires a very specific game plan that is not very common (deploying for planets 2 or 3 well in advance) that don't actually come up that often. Sometimes just the threat of Exterminatus existing and possibly being in hand is enough to deter people from building up too much in later planets, but I find it's not that big a deal anyway.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
I would really recommend playing 3x Drop Pod Assault - it has both an amazing effect and the ability to be used as a two-shield card.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Question about Old One Eye, if he readies, say between combat turns, but has no damage on him, does he expend his "once per round" regeneration, effectively "healing" for 0?

Also yes, play Drop Pod Assault. A surprise Honored Librarian sucks rear end.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Question about Old One Eye, if he readies, say between combat turns, but has no damage on him, does he expend his "once per round" regeneration, effectively "healing" for 0?

His ability is a reaction, so it's optional and you can choose when to trigger it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I originally had three. Not sure what I'd cut at this point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

-3 Iron Halo
-1 Exterminatus
-1 Fortress Monastery
-1 Daring Assault Squad (good unit, but costly and you probably don't need 3x)
-1 10th Company Scout
-1 Promotion (this is personal opinion, I don't really like 3x of these since they lose a lot of power after turn 3 or so)

+2 Elite unit of choice
+3 Drop Pod Assault
+3 Primal Howl

One thing that I noticed while perusing through your list trying to figure out what to cut is that you have a LOT of very low HP units. The only ones that have more than 2 HP are Sicarius's Chosen, Cardinis, Maxos and Daring Assault Squad, and only the DAS has more than 3. This may be okay vs. some decks, like Eldar or Dark Eldar, but you are likely super hosed against Chaos and Orks since they can poo poo out a ton of damage. Tau also has a good amount of area effect in Gun Drones and the ability to import Cardinis or even a Repulsor on Fire Warrior Elite will add to that hurt. Tyranids have Spore Sacs which do a surprising amount of damage (and infest), or they can Brood Chamber your own Area Effect. And of course the mirror match will have the same options you do.

What I'm saying is that you might want to invest in some more mid cost units. Blood Angel Veterans are solid and are welcome in a Drop Pod as well. -1 Earth Caste, -1 Trailblazer for +2 Veterans is a good start.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

-3 Iron Halo
-1 Exterminatus
-1 Fortress Monastery
-1 Daring Assault Squad (good unit, but costly and you probably don't need 3x)
-1 10th Company Scout
-1 Promotion (this is personal opinion, I don't really like 3x of these since they lose a lot of power after turn 3 or so)

+2 Elite unit of choice
+3 Drop Pod Assault
+3 Primal Howl

One thing that I noticed while perusing through your list trying to figure out what to cut is that you have a LOT of very low HP units. The only ones that have more than 2 HP are Sicarius's Chosen, Cardinis, Maxos and Daring Assault Squad, and only the DAS has more than 3. This may be okay vs. some decks, like Eldar or Dark Eldar, but you are likely super hosed against Chaos and Orks since they can poo poo out a ton of damage. Tau also has a good amount of area effect in Gun Drones and the ability to import Cardinis or even a Repulsor on Fire Warrior Elite will add to that hurt. Tyranids have Spore Sacs which do a surprising amount of damage (and infest), or they can Brood Chamber your own Area Effect. And of course the mirror match will have the same options you do.

What I'm saying is that you might want to invest in some more mid cost units. Blood Angel Veterans are solid and are welcome in a Drop Pod as well. -1 Earth Caste, -1 Trailblazer for +2 Veterans is a good start.

I like these changes, and I'm gonna go with Land Raiders I think, unless the 9DEF of a deathwing guard or the 8/8 of a dreadnought justifies the extra cost.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
My favorite SM elite is Firedrake Terminators, which has a really powerful ability against swarms of units, especially when paired with Crushing Blow (another good SM card from the first cycle). Statwise it's similar to the Land Raider (albeit a bit weaker), but the ability is much stronger in my experience.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fetterkey posted:

My favorite SM elite is Firedrake Terminators, which has a really powerful ability against swarms of units, especially when paired with Crushing Blow (another good SM card from the first cycle). Statwise it's similar to the Land Raider (albeit a bit weaker), but the ability is much stronger in my experience.

But wouldn't your opponent just attack anything besides the Firedrake Terminators? I'm confused as to how you force the issue on their ability. Or is it just because they're a 3/6 with 2 command icons your opponent will want to take them down?

I see your point about combining them with Crushing Blow, though I'm not sure I have space for all the cards.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 20, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I haven't used the Terminators but:

1) More HP actually means more uncertainty as to the "true" HP value. That is, a unit with only 1 HP likely will only ever have 1 HP, since you're unlikely to use shields on it. A unit with 6 HP gives you 2-3 (or more?) opportunities to use shields on it, thus messing up combat math a ton. Messing up combat math is what wins you planets. And the more things hit it, the more damage it does back.

2) A lot of things end up with only 1 HP left. That's usually the "sweet spot" when it comes to using a shield card, to leave something with 1 HP so that it can hit back. The Terminators will take the damage, but at least it'll clear the chaff.

3) It combos really well with Crushing Blow and Fury of Sicarius. Crushing Blow is good because of the above (combat math!), but it can be cut. I'm not sure what you'd cut for it either, maybe an either/or with Primal Howl? It's probably at best a 2 of since you want to save it for something that really deserves it, like a warlord.

I personally like the Dreadnaught because the threat of one-shotting a Warlord is really powerful. Not only does it deny the Warlord and its ability, but it also denies whatever retinue the Warlord had. It's pretty severely limiting and by itself it's a really tough unit to deal with. I think only Space Marine with Fury and Indomitable and Dark Eldar with Klaivex (gently caress this card) have good answers. Eldar may be able to do something with Silvered Blade Avengers and various exhaust effects.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Deviant posted:

But wouldn't your opponent just attack anything besides the Firedrake Terminators? I'm confused as to how you force the issue on their ability. Or is it just because they're a 3/6 with 2 command icons your opponent will want to take them down?

I see your point about combining them with Crushing Blow, though I'm not sure I have space for all the cards.

Playing aggressive attachments like Ion Rifles or Nocturne-Ultima Storm Bolter on the Firedrakes creates a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. Further, in many cases I'll deploy Firedrakes as my only unit on a planet and then go somewhere else (especially if I have a good supply of tricks), forcing the opponent to engage them since there simply isn't anyone else to attack!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I made a Old Zogwort deck that basically has every odd costed orc card with the 'Landa'. I'm gonna kill everyone and everything with this deck.

Nique
May 18, 2006

How does AGoT compare to Netrunner in terms of popularity? Is it going to be far harder to find groups & meetups, or is it difficult to say at this point?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Depends on your area I'd guess. Some people moved on from 1e and won't come back while other groups have been hibernating waiting for 2e to come out. Others may be too invested in Conquest or Netrunner to consider buying in, and some groups run everything. However I would expect the overall community to be larger than Conquest but smaller than Netrunner.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Nique posted:

How does AGoT compare to Netrunner in terms of popularity? Is it going to be far harder to find groups & meetups, or is it difficult to say at this point?

Thrones will almost definitely be harder to find groups/meetups for than Netrunner, since it just came out and there likely aren't established communities in the area yet (though if you were in a big Thrones 1 area, it's quite possible that there are already groups interested in the game). That said, these things grow with time and Thrones just came out (the tournament kits aren't even out yet, so store events are going to be fewer on the ground), so if you're worried that people won't pick it up and don't want to be one of the early pioneers, you could always wait for a month or two and see whether it's catching on in your area.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Netrunner seems like it is in a weird place. It reminds me of EVE Online or something. For people who got in on the ground floor they stay with it and are super addicted and have all of the packs and etc, it is great. For new players it seems really daunting.

I'm in the latter there, as I love the theme and gameplay, but I haven't had 3 years to slowly adapt / get used to playing each card as they have been released slowly.

To go back to the EVE Online example-- that game keeps persisting due to that core base of insane nerds who stick with it since they have invested so much time already, whereas other newer MMOs have come and gone and fizzled out. I feel like LCGs are sort of the same-- it sounds like kind of a crapshoot on what random LCGs will stick around in a year or two.

Worst case though you can just build a few decks off of core+expansions and play those with your friends like a board game though.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 21, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
GoT is going to be big because of its IP and the great design. It's easily the best for people to get into at this point, as playing catch up on Netrunner skills and collections is daunting. it's easily the most likely to develope a good scene in any area behind Netrunner. Star Wars would be the big one, but the design is pretty devisive and that IP is dominated by X-Wing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I really wish FFG would just release cycle packs for new people to catch up with, instead of individual expansion packs. Like instead of reprinting the cycles as individual packs, just release a cycle pack so that people can just pick it up, likely at a cheaper price point? It means that the hardcore type players can get the individual packs as they release, but more casual or new players can save some money and also not have to deal with a giant checklist of what they have vs. what they don't have vs. what's actually in stock at stores.

What I'm saying is that FFG needs to adopt the TPB system of comics for its LCGs.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

jeeves posted:

Worst case though you can just build a few decks off of core+expansions and play those with your friends like a board game though.

I have always been super interested in all of these LCGs, but this is what I mostly want out of them. Since I don't have any friends who are super in to any of them I just want a version of these that I can mostly pick up and play. Luckily, the majority seem to give a good enough experience just with the core set, and I can expand on them when I feel it's necessary. The LOTR LCG is the best for this as we really enjoy it and I can just pick up one of the SAGA expansions whenever we finish the last one.

Conquest also seems nice in that the base box has a decent amount of content, and then if that gets stale you can pick up the first big box which is an entirely new faction. This is where Netrunner loses me a bit even though I love the game. If I want to expand the game it immediately becomes the daunting deckbuilding experience instead of the "pick up and play" board game.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Radioactive Toy posted:

Conquest also seems nice in that the base box has a decent amount of content, and then if that gets stale you can pick up the first big box which is an entirely new faction. This is where Netrunner loses me a bit even though I love the game. If I want to expand the game it immediately becomes the daunting deckbuilding experience instead of the "pick up and play" board game.

Yeah, I picked up 2 expansions for Netrunner and it is hard to look up deck building advice for me just net decking a few decks to play casually, as all advice is either "how to make decks with just core set" or "ALL EXPANSIONS!"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GrandpaPants posted:

I really wish FFG would just release cycle packs for new people to catch up with, instead of individual expansion packs. Like instead of reprinting the cycles as individual packs, just release a cycle pack so that people can just pick it up, likely at a cheaper price point? It means that the hardcore type players can get the individual packs as they release, but more casual or new players can save some money and also not have to deal with a giant checklist of what they have vs. what they don't have vs. what's actually in stock at stores.

What I'm saying is that FFG needs to adopt the TPB system of comics for its LCGs.

Totally,I wish I didn't have to go check boardgamegeek to know what expansions I needed to buy. When I was picking up 2 cycles of LotR after the initial printing it was a nightmare as I basically had to make a list and check them off as I found them as I was picking them up as I found them available.

I don't think they necessarily need to make a giant pack that's it's own box and such, as it seems like the pick and choose is what a lot of players on a budget use to get into the game anyway. I don't think knocking $5 off the total price is going to get them to jump into a given cycle completely. I mean they're probably just going "Ok, I have $25, I'll get this pack that has card X and this one that has card Y." Players that are buying into everything are just buying in completely and FFG would just be robbing themselves of $5.

Fetterkey posted:

you could always wait for a month or two and see whether it's catching on in your area.

I'm going to disagree with this and say that if you're trying to see if something will be popular, then it helps if you're pushing it rather than sitting on the sidelines. If you like the game, buy a core or two and start hitting up local game stores trying to get them to promote an event for it. FFG has demo decks available to order on the website and you could have the LGS order 2 packs of those to help fill cards. Go infiltrate Friday Night Magic and find out who's sick of dropping so much $ on the game and has had enough and get them to come to your demo event, get extra copies of the demo deck and give them out to anyone who buys any kind of aGoT media at the store as a promotion to get them come play the game with those cards they now have! Put up signs, post on the facebook group until people tell you to shut up(ok probably not that much), hang around outside the school with a sword and tell all the children winter is coming and the only way to prepare is to head to the LGS and buy aGoT(ok this is probably not a good idea either).

You get my point. Make it seem like there's a scene and try to get the other people like yourself off the sidelines and then *boom* there's your group.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

GoT is going to be big because of its IP and the great design. It's easily the best for people to get into at this point, as playing catch up on Netrunner skills and collections is daunting. it's easily the most likely to develope a good scene in any area behind Netrunner. Star Wars would be the big one, but the design is pretty devisive and that IP is dominated by X-Wing.

I broadly agree, though I'll also note that Conquest is the easiest of the FFG games for a newcomer to get into competitive play for, since you can buy one core set and one copy of The Great Devourer and you're good to go competitively (as long as you want to start with Tyranids). In Thrones, even though it just started you need to get three cores to be competitive thanks to the importance of running most of your big characters at 3x.

In the long run, Conquest isn't really cheaper unless you decide that you want to only play Tyranids forever, but the price point for "I want to get started without being significantly disadvantaged in tournaments" is significantly lower. We've had a few newcomers in our area who have recently begun with the core set + Tyranids and are branching out to other factions as they catch their attention, which I think is a cool way to go about it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yo Fetterkey, what AGoT decks have you been running?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is there a good site or article that analyzes the cards in AGoT 2nd ed?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Cardgamedb.com has some articles throughout their site reviewing each of the factions' cards http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/agot-core-set-review-tyrell-r1414

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yo Fetterkey, what AGoT decks have you been running?

Targaryen/Fealty and Stark/Greyjoy. I like killing things and big plays, and Targ and Stark have that in spades!

The "internet consensus" seems to be that Baratheon, Greyjoy, and Lannister are the strongest factions, but I haven't had any real trouble against those compositions and I suspect the meta is a lot more open than people tend to think. I've also found that experience in Thrones 1 matters a lot less than I had initially figured - I've never played a single game of old Thrones and I'm currently doing very well, even in games against highly experienced players.

Fetterkey fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 23, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Radioactive Toy posted:

Cardgamedb.com has some articles throughout their site reviewing each of the factions' cards http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/agot-core-set-review-tyrell-r1414

More appropriately, is there a guide to what each faction specializes in? It's hard to take in the entire card base.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I've found that Targ/* is pretty potent. In this meta without a lot of strong archetypes to build around, just having the best removal options of anyone is pretty dang strong.

Do you have a list for your Stark/Greyjoy deck? I have been using something like Magicdave's from thronesdb, the one with 2 marched and no Gates. It's pretty feast or famine for me.

And yeah, I kind of find main faction Greyjoy to be a bit overrated. It seems pretty powerful on paper but in play it's pretty inconsistent IME. Still pretty amazing when it goes off though.

Baratheon has been very good for us because it's so consistent, but I think it feels better than it is, perhaps. Partially because you can basically throw the baratheon cards and the fealty agenda together and have a good deck, and partially because when it is winning it feels more dominant than when other decks are winning, because of the lack of control, if that makes sense.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Some more spoilers for AgoT Chapter Pack cards:
http://teamcovenant.com/blog/2015/10/23/who-here-seen-the-lannisters-say-yeauh-a-preview-from-taking-the-black/

e: those cards are nuts

Also, here is a big spreadsheet with everything else spoiled so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nwYUxdN9PRztV7frsDx5pj1pKBaFaMLUiKTw0eD1pbI/htmlview

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Second question: Does no one use #lcgoons on SynIRC anymore? :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Hound sure is a character :D

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Greyjoy definitely seems like a hit or miss faction, however they seem ridiculously hard to dislodge if you get run over by them early.

Targ Fealty doesn't seem to be that good if you don't draw Dany, she seems really necessary for them to establish significant board control, but I've only got a couple games under my belt with them. There's an OCTGN deck on the DB of Lanni/Targ that looks pretty good, I'm currently running Lanni/Martel and don't really want to switch just yet. Lannister seems really good with it's in-house 'No' of Intrigue and being able to afford Hand's Judgement. I gotta say I love Lannister just for the cheap ways to mess with combat math; probably why combining them with Targ is good.

I also built a deck from there that was Watch/Stark which seems pretty good, looking forward to trying that out next week.

Bara seems fairly consistent but I need to actually run them myself to see how they play without getting Stannis or what happens when Melisandre is out and you don't draw into Rhyolnir cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I got Euron and Throwin Axe out during setup, then Balon first turn with Sneak attack and Sea Tower and a Risen from the Sea in hand. My opponent had no chance. Won 15-1.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The Seastone Chair is pretty nuts, although I'm not sure if it's more or less effective than my Greyjoy strategy of 3 turns of Claim 2, then a March. But if I miss any of those military challenges in the first three turns, I run out of gas and struggle, especially against stuff like Baratheon, who can keep Balon/Euron/Asha locked down pretty goddamn well.

Bottom Liner posted:

I got Euron and Throwin Axe out during setup, then Balon first turn with Sneak attack and Sea Tower and a Risen from the Sea in hand. My opponent had no chance. Won 15-1.

Marched to the Wall would have ruined you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Marched to the Wall would have ruined you.

Yup, I kept worrying about that.

Speaking of plots, aside from Wildfire, what do you guys consider auto includes for every deck?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I'm still trying to figure out how to make Nights Watch / Stark Banner work, but have only had a chance to play a few games tops, so it's pretty hard to gauge. Pretty sure I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Deviant posted:

Second question: Does no one use #lcgoons on SynIRC anymore? :(

No one seems to like IRC anymore :(

It was never particularly busy, and I've been too busy myself to keep it open. Things have died down a bit at work now, though, so I should be back in there next week.