Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tracula posted:

I hate to be the person who disagrees with Anita but more people were angry because Unity didn't work at all more so than it not having a female hero.

after the game came out yeah, but beforehand there were a ton of people making fun of it for them saying that making a playable female character would "double the animation budget" or something ridiculous like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tracula posted:

I hate to be the person who disagrees with Anita but more people were angry because Unity didn't work at all more so than it not having a female hero.

Not really, there wer people making fun of how broken it was, sure, but it was nowhere near as big the people giving it poo poo for not having female characters, especially after they doubled down and tried to justify it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

watho posted:

Not really, there wer people making fun of how broken it was, sure, but it was nowhere near as big the people giving it poo poo for not having female characters, especially after they doubled down and tried to justify it.

Yeah... That was kind of the initial nonsense but people are gonna remember the technical disaster Unity was over the stupid female animation thing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tracula posted:

Yeah... That was kind of the initial nonsense but people are gonna remember the technical disaster Unity was over the stupid female animation thing.

lmao if you think people will remember anything about an Assasins Creed game.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tracula posted:

From E3 to launch their stupid female character justifications (and the confusing British accents for important characters) were all people talked about. That the convo changed to rampant glitches upon release is an additional failing of the game that everyone was pissed about (except me, because I didn't get any glitches :v:). At that point I was mainly annoyed by how boring Arno and the story was and how lacking the stealth was compared to previous games (which wasn't great before, honestly). Seriously, why did they remove the whistle button? :toughguy:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

From E3 to launch their stupid female character justifications (and the confusing British accents for important characters) were all people talked about. That the convo changed to rampant glitches upon release is an additional failing of the game that everyone was pissed about (except me, because I didn't get any glitches :v:). At that point I was mainly annoyed by how boring Arno and the story was and how lacking the stealth was compared to previous games (which wasn't great before, honestly). Seriously, why did they remove the whistle button? :toughguy:

Little known stereotype: the French can't whistle

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wait, how did they manage to make the stealth worse? It was already garbage so I don't really understand how they did that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alaois posted:

after the game came out yeah, but beforehand there were a ton of people making fun of it for them saying that making a playable female character would "double the animation budget" or something ridiculous like that

The budget thing was hilarious and didnt stand a hope of flying, simply because there have always been playable female characters in multiplayer all the way back to Brotherhood. All the mocapped moves in multiplayer are the same as in singleplayer, so the whole shabby argument got laughed out the door.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The budget thing was hilarious and didnt stand a hope of flying, simply because there have always been playable female characters in multiplayer all the way back to Brotherhood. All the mocapped moves in multiplayer are the same as in singleplayer, so the whole shabby argument got laughed out the door.

Plus they had already made and remastered a game with a female protagonist. It probably sold like piss though since it was on the Vita and the remaster just sorta happened.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
https://youtu.be/PqTCVTsdZB0

I know, I know. It's better to just ignore skull man at this point but man. He's such an insane piece of poo poo that pretty much nobody else in GG or whatever wants anything to do with him.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's all small victories. Pretty soon women will star in their own AAA titles without having to share it with a guy (who is front and center in the boxart).

From what I hear, at least the woman is the better character. The guy is apparently some insufferable jackass. This is a pretty good video on Syndicate. From Gamespot, no less.

tenshianna
Oct 31, 2012

Tracula posted:

I know, I know. It's better to just ignore skull man at this point but man. He's such an insane piece of poo poo that pretty much nobody else in GG or whatever wants anything to do with him.

Man, every diss video these guys make for each other are so funny to me in that they are so absolutely correct in everything say. The only time they ever have genuinely valid points is when flinging poo poo at one another. Beautiful.

Also love the way he repeatedly claims that Thunderf00t has "no integrity" while calling him "Thunderfart" the entire time. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jimbot posted:

It's all small victories. Pretty soon women will star in their own AAA titles without having to share it with a guy (who is front and center in the boxart).

From what I hear, at least the woman is the better character. The guy is apparently some insufferable jackass. This is a pretty good video on Syndicate. From Gamespot, no less.

You mean besides Lara Croft?

There's been a lot of games in the last 10 years that are on the larger side of console games with female leads, which is important to note because triple-A games as the scale and size of old is increasingly getting smaller due to the HD development costs.

Danny O'Dwyer's a generally good video person. Check out all his previous Points games when he's not being asked if he's british.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Tae posted:

There's been a lot of games in the last 10 years that are on the larger side of console games with female leads

I didn't know that! I really should find a way to keep abreast of gaming news.
Could you give me some examples, if it's not too much trouble?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are a lot of games with female protagonists that are front and center. The problem is adding on the cavats of "on a console", "good game", "AAA", and "actually has characters with personality" and well you get next to nothing. If you just want a good PC, mobile, or handheld with good women characters I have a ton for you, but apparently they don't count for some reason.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I didn't know that! I really should find a way to keep abreast of gaming news.
Could you give me some examples, if it's not too much trouble?

I'll narrow it down to non-remake Console games by major companies (Quality not included):
-Mirror’s Edge and upcoming Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (EA)
-Lara Croft and upcoming Rise of the Tomb Raider (Square Enix-Eidos)
-Life is Strange (Square Enix-Dontnod)
-Beyond: Two Souls (Quantic Dream)
-Remember Me (Capcom-Dontnod)
-Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (Ubisoft)
-Final Fantasy 13-2 and Lightning Returns (Square Enix)

And then if you go further down to games that feature a female as the lead among a male main protag, it gets bigger, and then not-so big companies like Monolith and indies probably add another 50 at least.

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are a lot of games with female protagonists that are front and center. The problem is adding on the cavats of "on a console", "good game", "AAA", and "actually has characters with personality" and well you get next to nothing. If you just want a good PC, mobile, or handheld with good women characters I have a ton for you, but apparently they don't count for some reason.

Any game that sells millions of copies should be considered, since isn't that the point if it exposes to a large number of people? So Life is Strange costs 10 times less than Watch_Dogs, it still sold over a million which is a large number for most games.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tracula posted:

I'm a little surprised Davis didn't fellate a shotgun or jump out a window clutching Dr. Racistskull for dear life after Trudeau won a majority. God, Aurini must be sooo pissed that the Liberals are back at the helm after a decade in exile :allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm a little surprised Davis didn't fellate a shotgun or jump out a window clutching Dr. Racistskull for dear life after Trudeau won a majority. God, Aurini must be sooo pissed that the Liberals are back at the helm after a decade in exile :allears:

I think he moved to Texas in protest.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The first RPG I ever played was "Phantasy Star" for the Sega Master System, which had a female protagonist and had female writers and artists in the project. Looked incredible for the time, too.

The original series (1-4) are excellent (3 had some good ideas but was weak overall. It was the only one Rieko Kodama didn't work on). And the series had some groundbreaking ideas (particularly 2 and later 4).

It remains my favorite overall RPG series, and serves as a great example of strong female protagonists / main characters. It's a shame that what the brand is now is so far removed from where it'd been.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Tracula posted:

Funny how everyone he dislikes turns out to be a "narcissist" or posturing. As much as the world as an anime convention would be a nightmare, I'd rather that than filled with Skull dude.

Speaking of which, that Memories review was pretty decent, especially when pointing out the techniques and use of CG.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Phelan and Allison have stumbled upon another weird artifact of the 1990s like Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, except this isn't a videogame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MTJekiUeQ

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kaleidolia posted:

Funny how everyone he dislikes turns out to be a "narcissist" or posturing. As much as the world as an anime convention would be a nightmare, I'd rather that than filled with Skull dude.

I was scanning through the full version of that video to try and find the moment where they learn Trudeau got a majority just to hear their heads explode for schadenfreude purposes and just... HOLY gently caress! You can just plop the cursor literally anywhere on the video time bar and one of them (particularly Aurini or the weird alternate history Canadian flag guy) will be saying something utterly ghastly offensive in some manner.

Davis Aurini is a capital-E Evil human being and it disgusts me to my core that he's Canadian. :barf:

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Jack Gladney posted:

I think he moved to Texas in protest.

That would not surprise me for some reason...

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Tae posted:

I'll narrow it down to non-remake Console games by major companies (Quality not included):
-Mirror’s Edge and upcoming Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (EA)
-Lara Croft and upcoming Rise of the Tomb Raider (Square Enix-Eidos)
-Life is Strange (Square Enix-Dontnod)
-Beyond: Two Souls (Quantic Dream)
-Remember Me (Capcom-Dontnod)
-Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (Ubisoft)
-Final Fantasy 13-2 and Lightning Returns (Square Enix)

And then if you go further down to games that feature a female as the lead among a male main protag, it gets bigger, and then not-so big companies like Monolith and indies probably add another 50 at least.

Any game that sells millions of copies should be considered, since isn't that the point if it exposes to a large number of people? So Life is Strange costs 10 times less than Watch_Dogs, it still sold over a million which is a large number for most games.

Sony announce a a game called ARC I think last E3, it is a new IP that feature a female lead. it got lost in the wake of sony showing off 3 games that been in the dream list of games people wanted for years.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cyron posted:

Sony announce a a game called ARC I think last E3, it is a new IP that feature a female lead. it got lost in the wake of sony showing off 3 games that been in the dream list of games people wanted for years.

There was also that Xbone game with the girl and the orb that magically animates scrap heaps into robots.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tae posted:

An easy one for Steam is Portal and it's sequel. The two central characters are both women and the only men are defined entirely by being lesser than the women. Aquaria and Transistor are both games starring women and together represent 300 thousand and 700 thousand current owners respectively on Steam. The "current owners" thing is important because that means 1 million copies that have not been refunded. While Watch_dogs had a higher peak, most people realized it was a garbage game and refunded it taking it from a peak of 2 million to half a million owners today.

Sadly Valve's various games which are the absolute top sellers are still mostly lacking in representation, despite being the sort of games that really wouldn't require any sort of change to accommodate women. I don't really see any reason for TF2 or CS:GO to not have female characters, other than TF2 being old and having next to no real effort put into it in years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

An easy one for Steam is Portal and it's sequel. The two central characters are both women and the only men are defined entirely by being lesser than the women. Aquaria and Transistor are both games starring women and together represent 300 thousand and 700 thousand current owners respectively on Steam. The "current owners" thing is important because that means 1 million copies that have not been refunded. While Watch_dogs had a higher peak, most people realized it was a garbage game and refunded it taking it from a peak of 2 million to half a million owners today.

Sadly Valve's various games which are the absolute top sellers are still mostly lacking in representation, despite being the sort of games that really wouldn't require any sort of change to accommodate women. I don't really see any reason for TF2 or CS:GO to not have female characters, other than TF2 being old and having next to no real effort put into it in years.

You're forgetting Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. Both had female playable characters who were as capable as the male ones.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Left4Dead, Dota 2, the various Civilizations, Total Wars, and other top sellers are on Steam are either mostly unisex or have equal ish representation. Which is what the baseline really should be. However they don't really work as narrative games where the woman lead doesn't have to share screen time with male lead. Which was the original goal, or so I was thinking. If you're including all games that are where the bar should be rather than actively challenging the supposed domination of male protags Steam is practically utopian.

Though honestly representation in say Assassin's Creed or Battlefield is kind of a valueless endeavor, because like all other massively sequalized "AAA" game out there it's a bad series. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, the Arkam games, etc are and will remain terrible so long as they're sequalized. Representation in the original few games that kicked off each series could have been worthwhile, but changing anything about the modern entries is about as meaningful as Halloween 8 having a black character as one of the survivors.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Though honestly representation in say Assassin's Creed or Battlefield is kind of a valueless endeavor, because like all other massively sequalized "AAA" game out there it's a bad series. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, the Arkam games, etc are and will remain terrible so long as they're sequalized. Representation in the original few games that kicked off each series could have been worthwhile, but changing anything about the modern entries is about as meaningful as Halloween 8 having a black character as one of the survivors.

Why should only things of high quality try for representation?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Idran posted:

Why should only things of high quality try for representation?
With checkbooks that big EA and Ubisoft cannot be thought of as companies run by identifiable human beings. Their production line games by committee are entirely driven by a massive organism incapable of moral or artistic judgment calls. They will offer representation when and only when their broken focus tested marketing research indicates it will increase sales and not a second before then. Hence the representation very slowly creeping into the most recent ones. It's a signal of final market victory, not actually a step along the way, because a company that systemically terrible is incapable of doing the right thing consciously. It's the same thing where Dungeon Keeper esq design has been somewhat scaled back not because they realize it's a rotten thing that kills any attempt at art, but because the market will not bear something that terrible yet.

Now obviously any restructuring that turned AAA publishers into decent companies would be accompanied by some manner of gender and racial understanding that is lacking, things like the fact that latinos exist. However any bone thrown to quite down customers about representation doesn't represent any such change by itself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jsor posted:

There was also that Xbone game with the girl and the orb that magically animates scrap heaps into robots.

ReCORE! That game looked cool in concept.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I recommend everyone to check SF debris video about "back to the future" .
The entire BTTF trilogy got such a clever and tight scripting , full of story hooks and set ups that pays off perfectly so I was surprised to hear about how much troubled the production of the first ended up being and what an uphill battle it was even to get that script greenlight.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I've been enjoying Sfdebris branching out into non-trek stuff. Don't get me wrong I love Star Trek and have seen nearly every episode from every series.

What was really amusing was just as I started reading Foundation he did his look at them so as I finished each of the first three novels I gave his retrospective a listen for each and it definitely made me like them even better, especially the third book which I wasn't as into until he broke down all the themes and ideas of it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

I've been enjoying Sfdebris branching out into non-trek stuff. Don't get me wrong I love Star Trek and have seen nearly every episode from every series.

What was really amusing was just as I started reading Foundation he did his look at them so as I finished each of the first three novels I gave his retrospective a listen for each and it definitely made me like them even better, especially the third book which I wasn't as into until he broke down all the themes and ideas of it.

Well, sure, but it's not like this is a new thing. He has been reviewing a lot of other fantasy and scifi stuff besides Star Trek, if not as frequently.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yeah I know. It just seems like he's doing more movies and books now not just sci fi shows.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Well he's gotta run out of Star Trek stuff eventually right? Better to branch out now before the well runs dry.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Alacron posted:

Well he's gotta run out of Star Trek stuff eventually right? Better to branch out now before the well runs dry.

By my estimates, he has about 350 episodes from all the Star Trek shows left to do. Since he does one episode a week, with the occasional week off, he has until 2023 before it's all done.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Lindsay's dad succumbed to Parkinson's :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Benne posted:

Lindsay's dad succumbed to Parkinson's :(
I didn't know he was in that situation, but that's awful. Really bad way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Lindsay is asking for donations to this charity: https://www.michaeljfox.org/tribute/tribute-page.php?id=18571

Please donate if you can. :goon:

• Locked thread