Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Elite specs are unlocked in PvP, right? Right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Elite specs are unlocked in PvP, right? Right? :ohdear:

Yea. Assuming you have HoT, of course.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Real talk, yes the mastery poo poo is grindy as hell and the story/access to various places is gated behind it. The final zone is gated behind maxed out gliding as far as I can tell but again it is account bound and this expansion is meant to last us more than a day so I can understand it even if it slows me way the gently caress down. I stand by my opinion that most of the events though need a serious re-tune because they drag on foreeeeeever and some of them have really lovely mechanics.

There's a champ golden ooze in Auric Basin that's basically a copy paste of the ooze boss from the reactor fractal but with tons of elite healing oozes that heal it back to full hp as soon as they touch him, for example. That poo poo needs to be toned down badly. The story so far though is actually pretty excellent and entertaining to me so kudos on that.

No naked Scarlet clone army 10/10 would play again.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I can understand people wanting the elite specs. to be unlocked earlier. That makes sense to me. Who wants to play all of the expansion content without having your elite spec. They should have tuned it so a single map worth of HP's unlocked the full elite spec. That would leave you with the 3 other maps to use and enjoy your elite spec.

I don't understand the mastery grind complaining though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well it's a good thing only half the elite specs are worth a poo poo cause this expansion sucks pretty much all the way down.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Amante posted:

The masteries are grindy but account wide, so forgivable imo. The per character elite spec grind is gonna be brutal when taking alts into account. Imagine years later when there's 2-3 a profession :)

Everyone keeps over rating the hero point grind and under rating the mastery one. Already almost maxed dragonhunter, starting from zero it should be no more than a day or so per alt.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Yeah, I'm super not worried about the elite spec grind. Once you have maxed masteries, a tour of the whopping 4 Maguuma maps to hit all the hero point locations on an alt shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

I'm just bummed the Halloween stuff is such a clusterfuck. I was looking forward to earning the new shoulder skin while filling out my old world masteries, but it seems like participating in the festival doesn't help you with either of those goals since the new shoulders are really just a massive sink for mystic coins and glacial lodestones (and probably more, since the full recipe is still unknown).

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

malhavok posted:

Everyone keeps over rating the hero point grind and under rating the mastery one. Already almost maxed dragonhunter, starting from zero it should be no more than a day or so per alt.

Thoom posted:

Yeah, I'm super not worried about the elite spec grind. Once you have maxed masteries, a tour of the whopping 4 Maguuma maps to hit all the hero point locations on an alt shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

The initial cost of the the Maguuma masteries still seems high to me if you actually need to max out the jungle masteries to get all of the hero points. If you don't then who cares. I'd agree that alts are going to be trivial compared to the first character however.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Frog lashes.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

treizebee posted:

The new borderlands.
The new borderlands are neat in some ways, but I think I can sum up the changes as: It takes about twice as much supply to break open an objective at the same upgrade level in the same time, it takes more people to have that much supply because they removed +5, objectives are usually fully upgraded instead of usually not upgraded at all, and it takes twice as long to get anywhere.

So, I'm kind of expecting the new WvW to involve a lot of not capping anything until the other servers go to sleep. I'm especially not sure how this is supposed to accomplish the goal of reducing the emphasis on running huge blob groups when it takes much more supply to crack objectives open now, unless you do the oasis event, which looks like mostly a contest to win a big brawl in the center of the map..

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Thoom posted:

I would agree with this if it wasn't for the high amount of champion/champion + adds hero points.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So how screwed were Druids with the last minute changes to them? I was all set to log in tonight and go forward with the Ranger as my main, but this is pretty disappointing if they are now right back out of the meta.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mastery is account bound right? I can't tell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

Well it's a good thing only half the elite specs are worth a poo poo cause this expansion sucks pretty much all the way down.

I haven't even logged in yet, but goddamn, is it really that bad? Verdant Brink was cool during the BWEs, but so far people are a lot more immediately negative than I expected.

Alteisen posted:

Yes, all masteries are account-bound.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
What's all this posting? Back to the hero point mines you scum!
- Tivac

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Yes.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
SSSSSsssooo...Is it any good?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
What the gently caress ANet? Another build?!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

I haven't even logged in yet, but goddamn, is it really that bad? Verdant Brink was cool during the BWEs, but so far people are a lot more immediately negative than I expected.

I should caveat so very heavily that my interest in GW2 at this point is mostly WvW groups and solo stuff, so in order to get my new toys (elites) I have to suffer a bunch of retarded bullshit and terrible content (HoT PvE) in order to use the new toys. I've got no interest in fractals, raids or any of that stuff, so I can either go run around the main world for a shitton of hours or I can grind through the stupid Mastery system on one character in order to make getting my other alts their elites easier, but still like fourteen hours of grinding the same HoT hero points on six characters. It's stupid and terrible and after all their talk of letting people who just care about WvW only have to do that, it's lovely.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Probad posted:

What's all this posting? Back to the hero point mines you scum!
- Tivac

It isn't the Hero Points. It isn't the Mastery Points.

It is the Mastery Training.

It is something like 12 million XP per section in a category.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

SSSSSsssooo...Is it any good?

I had a ton of fun all day.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
New Maguuma maps need some tweaking to make them not ridiculously grindy, but since there's more content on the way (raids, new legendaries, etc) I think it's safe to say that they'll be tweaking stuff for a while to come. That being said, I didn't play any of the BWEs and really like the feel of Revenant so far, so I'm going to be content leveling that and my Mesmer up to 80 and fooling around with most of Dragonhunter (which is also fantastic)! Expansion is good, launch expansions always have problems, especially in MMOs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xae posted:

It isn't the Hero Points. It isn't the Mastery Points.

It is the Mastery Training.

It is something like 12 million XP per section in a category.

That's grindy as gently caress, Anet tone this down in the next two days or I'm not leaving my hobbit hole.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ah man, unidentified dyes are dropping like mad. I had a near stack too. Maybe I'll sell them, maybe I'll take them out instyle and hold a guild dye event.

Edit: oh yeah, I have like 2g to my name. This poo poo is gonna be sold.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PsychicToaster posted:

What the gently caress ANet? Another build?!

I'll take so many of these short builds over having the servers/game crash. For an Xpac launch this has been remarkably smooth so far.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

Ah man, unidentified dyes are dropping like mad. I had a near stack too. Maybe I'll sell them, maybe I'll take them out instyle and hold a guild dye event.

Edit: oh yeah, I have like 2g to my name. This poo poo is gonna be sold.

Wtf, where? i've been playing all day and haven't got a single one.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yes, all masteries are account-bound.

Ok thank gently caress.

Guess I'll get everything eventually, I'll focus on the gliding poo poo and legendaries for now.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

malhavok posted:

Wtf, where? i've been playing all day and haven't got a single one.

Dropping as in the price on the trading post is dropping.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's grindy as gently caress, Anet tone this down in the next two days or I'm not leaving my hobbit hole.

It is ~500K per level of the Section. So Section 1 costs 500k, Section 2 costs 1M, Section 3 costs 1.5M (roughly).

There are 6 Sections in Gliding, 6 in Itzel Lore, 5 in Exalted and I'm assuming 5 or 6 in Nuhoch Lore.

All together that is ~40 Million XP for all Maguuma Mastery Training.

To craft your legendary you will need ~5 Million XP.

:siren: These are all projections based on what I have seen. The curves may change :siren:

Someone with a poopier sock feel free to correct the values.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bought a bunch of cheap Carrion gear for my Rev. Went Sword/Axe and Hammer.
GodDAMN hammer is fun in groups.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

For my Death Knight Revenant I went full anime.

I have zero regrets :v:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Xae posted:

It is ~500K per level of the Section. So Section 1 costs 500k, Section 2 costs 1M, Section 3 costs 1.5M (roughly).

There are 6 Sections in Gliding, 6 in Itzel Lore, 5 in Exalted and I'm assuming 5 or 6 in Nuhoch Lore.

All together that is ~40 Million XP for all Maguuma Mastery Training.

To craft your legendary you will need ~5 Million XP.

:siren: These are all projections based on what I have seen. The curves may change :siren:

Someone with a poopier sock feel free to correct the values.

You don't need this though. You can finish the story and, as far as anyone knows, get a maxed elite spec without going anywhere near this deep into any of the trees.

Not that 5 million XP isn't a lot, but the total amount available isn't really indicative of what regular players are going to going after as a baseline.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lonk posted:

Real talk, yes the mastery poo poo is grindy as hell and the story/access to various places is gated behind it. The final zone is gated behind maxed out gliding as far as I can tell but again it is account bound and this expansion is meant to last us more than a day so I can understand it even if it slows me way the gently caress down. I stand by my opinion that most of the events though need a serious re-tune because they drag on foreeeeeever and some of them have really lovely mechanics.

There's a champ golden ooze in Auric Basin that's basically a copy paste of the ooze boss from the reactor fractal but with tons of elite healing oozes that heal it back to full hp as soon as they touch him, for example. That poo poo needs to be toned down badly. The story so far though is actually pretty excellent and entertaining to me so kudos on that.

No naked Scarlet clone army 10/10 would play again.

I think they were doing the typical mmo thing of overtuning at launch to avoid the zerg rush of folks rampaging through and having all the new mastery points in a weekend.
I expect them to reduce the HP on stuff otherwise the expansion zones are gonna be like the base game was 4 months after launch, a barren desert of unbeatable content scaled around massive groups, not the only 1 or 2 people in them.

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.
So I know that the answer here is probably "get gud" but I feel compelled to ask anyway - how the hell am I supposed to do things in the new zones without getting wrecked? The enemies do so much damage and while I can burn them down pretty quick (playing a Necro with a half unlocked Reaper spec), I have all the durability of wet tissue paper.

I've been dying a lot, which really isn't fun.

Should I bite the bullet and swap over to Knight or maybe Soldier gear?

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
These HUGE maps make the zones Empty as gently caress. I been soloing since i logged on today and it aint no fun!

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 24, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kinger posted:

So I know that the answer here is probably "get gud" but I feel compelled to ask anyway - how the hell am I supposed to do things in the new zones without getting wrecked? The enemies do so much damage and while I can burn them down pretty quick (playing a Necro with a half unlocked Reaper spec), I have all the durability of wet tissue paper.

I don't think soldier gear is the answer for you, I was using zerker gear as a dragonhunter in the betas and had no trouble at all. Presuming the mobs aren't somehow harder/different than the beta weekends, I hope someone here can help you with necro stuff!

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Kinger posted:

I've been doing okay as half-done reaper running full zerker with the death shroud line for life force gen as well as death magic with minions to help distract and purge conditions. Make sure to drop your GS pulsing dark field, then pop into shroud as much as you can to tank / do good aoe damage / drop the big #5 stun on things.

Occasionally you just run into a cluster of overtuned event mobs and get blasted to downed state in one second, poo poo happens.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uh so maybe the events aren't actually tuned, I have been trying to do the event chain that starts from the beginning of the zone and now everyone in the group of fifteen is getting instantly killed by normal enemies and the entire room is filled with unkillable insect swarms

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh so maybe the events aren't actually tuned, I have been trying to do the event chain that starts from the beginning of the zone and now everyone in the group of fifteen is getting instantly killed by normal enemies and the entire room is filled with unkillable insect swarms

They scaling is pretty messed up.

I've seen multiple elites and champions spawn to attack groups of 1 or 2.

Smith Comma John posted:

I've been doing okay as half-done reaper running full zerker with the death shroud line for life force gen as well as death magic with minions to help distract and purge conditions. Make sure to drop your GS pulsing dark field, then pop into shroud as much as you can to tank / do good aoe damage / drop the big #5 stun on things.

Occasionally you just run into a cluster of overtuned event mobs and get blasted to downed state in one second, poo poo happens.

gently caress Snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Alteisen posted:

Ok thank gently caress.

Guess I'll get everything eventually, I'll focus on the gliding poo poo and legendaries for now.

If you are going into legendary crafting make sure it's an expensive precursor or one of the new ones that you can't get any other way. If you're going for a cheap-to-mid priced precursor you're probably better off just buying the precursor off the trading post. I liked the collection junk to unlock the recipe but once I saw the recipe I decided I was just going to put in the 350 gold buy order instead.

• Locked thread