Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They're some sort of Long-EZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lightbulb Out posted:

They're some sort of Long-EZ.

This. Also, there's a LOT of different sorts of Long-EZs.

:v:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
The left one is a VariEze, the right one is either another VariEze or a LongEZ

ickna
May 19, 2004

Does anybody know what this is?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's a land speed record car. I want to say it's the latest spirit of america. It was beaten to the mach barrier by the english.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 23, 2015

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Hearing a report that the Hurricane Hunter out investigating Hurricane Patricia (sustained flight level winds of 191 kt) got thrown down 2000 feet in 30 seconds during their last pass through the eyewall.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea gently caress that job.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea gently caress that job.

I linked this in the weather thread, but as for how crazy that can get read Jeff Master's account of the time he directed a NOAA P3 into hurricane Hugo while it was a category 5. At 1500 ft. They lost an engine and needed a WC-130 to find them a path out.

He shouldn't quit his day job for story writing but stick with it.
http://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

hobbesmaster posted:

I linked this in the weather thread, but as for how crazy that can get read Jeff Master's account of the time he directed a NOAA P3 into hurricane Hugo while it was a category 5. At 1500 ft. They lost an engine and needed a WC-130 to find them a path out.

He shouldn't quit his day job for story writing but stick with it.
http://www.wunderground.com/resources/education/hugo1.asp

There's an episode of Air Crash Investigation about this incident too

https://youtu.be/686Vz9tlOpo

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Gibfender posted:

There's an episode of Air Crash Investigation about this incident too

https://youtu.be/686Vz9tlOpo

Well I know what I am doing for the next 45 minutes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm kinda surprised there isn't a movie based on it, all you need is a P-3 set and some actors that can do that Star Trek "we're hit" thing.

I guess it could be the B plot in a megahurricane disaster film.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 24, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Venusian Weasel posted:

Hearing a report that the Hurricane Hunter out investigating Hurricane Patricia (sustained flight level winds of 191 kt) got thrown down 2000 feet in 30 seconds during their last pass through the eyewall.

We (Corpus Christi ATC) worked that plane outbound on radar. They left Harlingen TX with the NOAA callsign. I sperged out a bit.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Aeronautical Insanity: How about this awesome storm-chasing T-28?

"Flight operations were conducted between 18,000 to 21,000 feet ideal for OAT supecooled at -10c. The mobile radar unit and ground crew communicated to the pilots what headings to fly. Once the cell was penetrated, the technique was to maintain a safe range of airspeed between 140-150 indicated and not worry about holding a hard altitude. Strong up and down drafts could change altitude easily 2000' or more. There was no de-icing on the wing, if ice started accumulating they would descend to melt it or intentionally fly into known hail to beat the ice off. Flights were approximately one hour due to higher than normal fuel burn from the armor weight and less than ideal aerodynamics from the attached instruments. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPQ5-QhLhtI Interesting video starting around 4:45

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Kilonum posted:

Well I know what I am doing for the next 45 minutes

You'd think by now they'd have developed some kind of unmanned solution to punch through hurricanes instead of risking so many lives, but I guess they kinda need the P-3 full of radar analysts? And I suppose there's a funding issue or some weird technical issue preventing them from getting semi-disposable drones.

I'm thinking more on the order of a remote-piloted cruise missile (with a bigass antenna trailing behind to transmit the raw radar data back to the pilots' bunker) than current spindly UAVs like the Reaper and Global Chicken.

Or at least maybe something built a bit tougher than a converted '50s airliner -- maybe a good use for all those recently-decommissioned EA-6B Prowlers? Swap out the jammers for radars, and hire some pilots from the USMC (because Marine Aviators are loving nutjobs, see the tales of WWII Corsairs coming back with grass stains on the props and A-6s in Vietnam coming home with tree branches stuck in the intakes). OTOH, the old-school jet engines on the Prowler might be more susceptible to water ingestion than the turboprops on the Orion and Herc?

Comedy option: make a center-station radar pod for the Mudhen. If poo poo goes bad, unass the radar and external tanks and firewall the throttles -- I'm pretty sure a fighter that can do Mach 2.5 and pull 9g in optimal conditions wouldn't give a poo poo about a 200-knot crosswind in an emergency situation.

On that note, I'm kinda surprised the USAF didn't replace the Spark 'Vark with a modified F-15E. Damned bureaucracy/end of the Cold War ruining all my airplane fantasies.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Delivery McGee posted:

You'd think by now they'd have developed some kind of unmanned solution to punch through hurricanes instead of risking so many lives, but I guess they kinda need the P-3 full of radar analysts? And I suppose there's a funding issue or some weird technical issue preventing them from getting semi-disposable drones.

I'm thinking more on the order of a remote-piloted cruise missile (with a bigass antenna trailing behind to transmit the raw radar data back to the pilots' bunker) than current spindly UAVs like the Reaper and Global Chicken.

Or at least maybe something built a bit tougher than a converted '50s airliner -- maybe a good use for all those recently-decommissioned EA-6B Prowlers? Swap out the jammers for radars, and hire some pilots from the USMC (because Marine Aviators are loving nutjobs, see the tales of WWII Corsairs coming back with grass stains on the props and A-6s in Vietnam coming home with tree branches stuck in the intakes). OTOH, the old-school jet engines on the Prowler might be more susceptible to water ingestion than the turboprops on the Orion and Herc?

Comedy option: make a center-station radar pod for the Mudhen. If poo poo goes bad, unass the radar and external tanks and firewall the throttles -- I'm pretty sure a fighter that can do Mach 2.5 and pull 9g in optimal conditions wouldn't give a poo poo about a 200-knot crosswind in an emergency situation.

On that note, I'm kinda surprised the USAF didn't replace the Spark 'Vark with a modified F-15E. Damned bureaucracy/end of the Cold War ruining all my airplane fantasies.

http://www.newson6.com/story/28040199/a-10-warthog-to-take-on-oklahomas-thunderstorms

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
send in an f-35

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Pfft I considered adding a bit about using the 'Hogs when the USAF finally gets rid of 'em. Much like the Prowler/late-model Intruder, they have wings (and everything else) built to take far more stress than they're ever expected to see.

Too bad the all-weather 2-seat A-10 didn't make it to production, that would've been a perfect stormchaser.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Delivery McGee posted:

Too bad the all-weather 2-seat A-10 didn't make it to production, that would've been a perfect stormchaser.

Well surely the protos must be mothed at DM or somewhere :getin:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SeaborneClink posted:

Well surely the protos must be mothed at DM or somewhere :getin:

It's at some museum out west, IIRC.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Delivery McGee posted:

I would bet part of the reason is that the P-3 gives you a lot of area on which to mount sensors, and a lot of volume to contain other equipment. Something mounted in an underwing pod isn't going to be nearly as powerful or capable as something bolted to the belly of a large plane. But the biggest reason is that they already exist, and until we declare a War on Hurricanes there isn't going to be funding for a super duper weather drone.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Also the P3 has a much better loiter time than an A10 or something. Plus it's nice to be able to go get a coffee or take a poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Don't they also drop a bunch of probes that drop through the hurricane transmitting data? I imagine a P3 can carry a lot more of those, and a crewman can make sure they are properly set to drop before they get sent to their windy doom.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Cool, I know the guy they interviewed for that story. Also, since my physics department basically absorbed the atmospheric science department on campus, I'm going to go ahead and claim that I'm part of the only physics department in the country with a working A-10.

:smug:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Hey Linedance, I saw the OP today, and in it where you have a link to my post about the Streak Eagle, you forgot there's a Part 2! :)

Also I wish I could edit this in as an addendum, but I can't: MrChips's awesome summary of the mods on the P-42 (Su-27's counterpart to the Streak Eagle):

MrChips posted:

It does sound like the claim that P-42 was custom built were a bit of an exaggeration, but at the same time it was far more heavily modified than the Streak Eagle. First of all, they deleted almost the entire electrical system, save for the flight controls and enough nav/com equipment for the flight. The wings were extensively modified; the wingtip missile racks were removed, as were all the underwing pylons and the internal structure associated. The leading edge devices and the flaperons were replaced with fixed structures. The speedbrake on the spine of the aircraft was removed and the fuselage was extensively reprofiled. The ventral fins were removed and the end fairings on the vertical stabilisers were removed. The radar and radome were removed and replaced with a lightweight metal structure. Finally, the air inlet variable ramps were locked into their optimum position and the actuation system was deleted.

The net result of this was that P-42 tipped the scales at just under 31,000 pounds. Additionally, the engines were uprated to produce an additional 5,000 pounds of thrust, giving a total of just over 62,000 pounds of total thrust, and a thrust-to-weight ratio of 2 to 1.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Seriouspost: who wants to go in on a MiG-21? There's one in the Bring a Trailer newsletter for $185k, and it's airworthy. :swoon:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sofullofhate posted:

Seriouspost: who wants to go in on a MiG-21? There's one in the Bring a Trailer newsletter for $185k, and it's airworthy. :swoon:

Getting in on the ground floor on Goonjet

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

sofullofhate posted:

Unless it comes with a giant stack of engines it'd be a hassle. Those things weren't meant to last.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

sofullofhate posted:

Still probably needs a huge inspection - good luck finding someone who can do that. After that, you need to check out on the MiG-21, so you need to find someone with a two-seater. Then on top of that, you'll need 50-100 hours of type experience before anyone will insure you...and holy poo poo that will get expensive. In a maximum performance flight, the MiG-21 will burn a thousand gallons of fuel in less than 15 minutes, at which point you had better be on the ground. Even cruising around at less than max performance, you're looking at maybe an hour of flying time at best, even with drop tanks installed.

On the issue of max performance, there is the issue of geography; you better live on the coast because there is no way in hell you're going supersonic over land.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Unless it comes with a giant stack of engines it'd be a hassle. Those things weren't meant to last.

Yup; that, and wheels/tires (because Russian sizes), ejection seat cartridges (because gently caress flying with cold seats), vacuum tubes, canopy seals, drogue chutes and all the other bits that make these airplanes work.

Also yes, the R11 is only good for 150 hours between overhauls, and if you have a MiG-21bis with the two-stage afterburner, every minute in stage two counts as one hour of engine life. :stare:

E: I guess what I'm saying is that I will fly the thing if you guys pay for it :v:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 24, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Let's be honest, this is the plane you want.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

You guys want to be reading Red Eagles by Steve Davies to get an idea of what it takes to run a mig 21 without USSR support.

Pretty sure no collection of goons can match the resources of USAF grey project budgets. And even then the (absolute best the air force could scrape together) pilots refused to punch out because they didn't trust the US made ejection charges.

But seriously read Red Eagles.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yes, actually.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Phy posted:

Getting in on the ground floor on Goonjet

Well that's where it'd end up.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
It says something about pre-moratorium... what's this about? No locked nozzle or notched spar, then?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's the BEST Starfighter and comes with the best papers because it's the best! It's the BEST it's the BEST.

It's the best.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

It's the BEST Starfighter and comes with the best papers because it's the best! It's the BEST it's the BEST.

It's the best.

No idea that Trump sold fighters.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Previa_fun posted:

It's the best.

Starfighter is the Miata of fighters

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tsuru posted:

It says something about pre-moratorium... what's this about? No locked nozzle or notched spar, then?

quote:

There is a law (dating from about the late 1950s/early 1960s) that states no nuclear-capable jet aircraft can be sold/transferred to a private party.

Best explanation I can find for it. None of the F-104s existing in flyable status were US planes apparently.

The thought of a nuclear armed F-104 is a concept meant only for the MADdest of nuclear weapons proponents.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I think that Draken in Stockton, CA is still for sale too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

Best explanation I can find for it. None of the F-104s existing in flyable status were US planes apparently.

The thought of a nuclear armed F-104 is a concept meant only for the MADdest of nuclear weapons proponents.

Like half of NATO you mean?

Also, there were almost ten times more F-104s in service outside the US, and they soldiered on wayyy longer. That alone might be sufficient explanation beside any restrictions.