Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I replaced all of my incandescent can lighting in my kitchen with these. I hope they don't malfunction before we remodel the kitchen next year because I have absolutely no idea how to get them out.

I'll put $100 on just pull down on the trim and the light assembly will slide down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I've got a Trane 2twr3030a1000aa heat pump that won't heat. Everything appears to be wired correctly. The green LED on the board blinks at approximately 1Hz. I can flip the breaker and the blinking goes away until the unit is called for heat. Cold works fine. Emergency electric heat works fine.

Any ideas? I'm striking out in the usual places to find manuals and blink codes and the like.

Figured it out. The thermostat required a jumper wire that was only noted in a footnote at the end of all the wiring diagrams. All is well.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I'll put $100 on just pull down on the trim and the light assembly will slide down.

No these are all one piece and they have these angled brackets that pop into place to keep the light from falling down. I have absolutely no idea how one might get those brackets pinched inward to be able to get the fixture out.

Like I said, though, just has to last another 18 months.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm refinishing a table and chairs (from Craigslist!)

They are all oak, and weigh about 3 zillion pounds combined. The table top has a veneered inlay. I'm thinking it's best to use a chemical stripper to remove the old finish (I'll be staining it slightly darker), rather than spend ages with a sander and risk sanding through the veneer. Will a chemical stripper screw up the veneer?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How effective are ozone generators are removing odors? I'm not talking about the ones you find at Target, but instead the professional ozone generators that pump out literal shittons of ozone. I'm battling a mouse problem in my house and, while we've stemmed the tide, the previous owner was an idiot and poisoned the gently caress out the place so some of them are dying in the walls.

From what I've read, ozone generators aren't effective until you start emitting levels that are pretty toxic. But if I'm willing to do this safely (move pets to another house, sleep at a friend's house for the night, air out the building before reentering) - are they effective?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Radbot posted:

But if I'm willing to do this safely (move pets to another house, sleep at a friend's house for the night, air out the building before reentering) - are they effective?

Yes, in my experience, very effective. BUT... you still need to remove the source of the stink. If the mouse corpses aren't fully dried out/rotted away, it won't totally fix the problem. Note that mice piss and poo poo all over everything, and that can be a source of stink.

I once had to rip down some dry wall, scrape out all the residue, scrub it all down with bleach, and THEN run the ozone machine.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

canyoneer posted:

They are all oak, and weigh about 3 zillion pounds combined. The table top has a veneered inlay. I'm thinking it's best to use a chemical stripper to remove the old finish (I'll be staining it slightly darker), rather than spend ages with a sander and risk sanding through the veneer. Will a chemical stripper screw up the veneer?

Post a picture. But most strippers will eat away at the glue that bonded the inlay.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

canyoneer posted:

What is the old finish? I would use a high grit sandpaper say at least 200 or steel wool at 00 or higher.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Radbot posted:

How effective are ozone generators are removing odors? I'm not talking about the ones you find at Target, but instead the professional ozone generators that pump out literal shittons of ozone. I'm battling a mouse problem in my house and, while we've stemmed the tide, the previous owner was an idiot and poisoned the gently caress out the place so some of them are dying in the walls.

From what I've read, ozone generators aren't effective until you start emitting levels that are pretty toxic. But if I'm willing to do this safely (move pets to another house, sleep at a friend's house for the night, air out the building before reentering) - are they effective?

I used to do flood and fire remediation for a living, and while ozone generators (industrial) are helpful, they aren't really a magic bullet. They are useful for getting that last 5% of an odor out. Cleaning and demolition of affected materials is the other 95%.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slugworth posted:

I used to do flood and fire remediation for a living, and while ozone generators (industrial) are helpful, they aren't really a magic bullet. They are useful for getting that last 5% of an odor out. Cleaning and demolition of affected materials is the other 95%.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yes, in my experience, very effective. BUT... you still need to remove the source of the stink. If the mouse corpses aren't fully dried out/rotted away, it won't totally fix the problem. Note that mice piss and poo poo all over everything, and that can be a source of stink.

I once had to rip down some dry wall, scrape out all the residue, scrub it all down with bleach, and THEN run the ozone machine.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to get one and spend the time it'll be in the mail cleaning the hell out of everything I can.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Slugworth posted:

Does this work better than ventilation in the long term? I was considering getting an ozone generator for shock treatments, but then I found a few scientific and government reports that say ozone mostly works by deadening your sense of smell. On the other hand, those reports mainly address the continuous consumer ozone air purifiers. Do you know of any serious tests of shock treatments?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

Seems like a lot of folks have gone with hydroxyl generators now as those can be used in occupied spaces. Also, they don't bleach wet fabrics like ozone will (something about the ozone combining with H20 to make H2O2).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seems like a lot of folks have gone with hydroxyl generators now as those can be used in occupied spaces. Also, they don't bleach wet fabrics like ozone will (something about the ozone combining with H20 to make H2O2).
Haha, yeah, it never happened on my watch, but there were tales in our company of guys who steamed all the carpet and upholstery in a house and then turned on the ozone generators and left for the night. I have my doubts as to how drastic the results would be though, apparently it's a pretty limited reaction (not many molecules per million make the jump or something)

As far as ventilation vs ozone, I would expect better results with ozone, but not drastically so.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Update on fixing the world's shittiest inflatable tires ever: filling with expanding foam didn't work, possibly because the tires never had a good bead seal on the wheels in the first loving place. Anyway I rotated the retainers off slowly, swapped the tires with some solid ones from HF, and whanged the retainers back on the ends of the axle. Now the big air compressor can actually be moved! But those retainers aren't going to stay put forever since they were press fit like I feared, so at some point I'm going get what's needed to weld the fuckers on or weld 1/2" nuts on or whatever.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Parts Kit posted:

Update on fixing the world's shittiest inflatable tires ever: filling with expanding foam didn't work, possibly because the tires never had a good bead seal on the wheels in the first loving place. Anyway I rotated the retainers off slowly, swapped the tires with some solid ones from HF, and whanged the retainers back on the ends of the axle. Now the big air compressor can actually be moved! But those retainers aren't going to stay put forever since they were press fit like I feared, so at some point I'm going get what's needed to weld the fuckers on or weld 1/2" nuts on or whatever.

Should have also impulse bought a welder at harbor freight.

It's ok, we've all been there

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I was debating that actually, but I think I'd like something nicer than a HF one.

ed: also it occurred to me I could just build up 3-4 weld beads on the end of the axle and not even worry about the retainer. If ever needed I could just grind them down with an angle grinder.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Radbot posted:

Would this be a good use of homeowners insurance? Have ServPro Overpriced Cleaners Inc come out and de-rat-[corpse|piss|poop] everything? Is that even covered?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

H110Hawk posted:

Would this be a good use of homeowners insurance? Have ServPro Overpriced Cleaners Inc come out and de-rat-[corpse|piss|poop] everything? Is that even covered?

I'm guessing it's going to be considered a pre-existing condition - I only took possession of the house 10 days ago. I'm going to try cleaning/ozoning the gently caress out of the house first, and if it still persists, I'll try that route.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Don't EVER use your homeowner's insurance unless you absolutely have to. 100% of the people I know who have made claims have been dropped by their carrier.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Don't EVER use your homeowner's insurance unless you absolutely have to. 100% of the people I know who have made claims have been dropped by their carrier.

Good point - many carriers won't write policies in my area due to excessive wildfire risk, and State Farm is apparently full of very optimistic people willing to insure my house for like $100/mo. Losing that would suck.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

Haha, yeah, it never happened on my watch, but there were tales in our company of guys who steamed all the carpet and upholstery in a house and then turned on the ozone generators and left for the night. I have my doubts as to how drastic the results would be though, apparently it's a pretty limited reaction (not many molecules per million make the jump or something)

As far as ventilation vs ozone, I would expect better results with ozone, but not drastically so.

I've seen it happen and it was pretty bad. Fortunately it was just the carpet, but it was highly (if unevenly) bleached, and not at all salvageable.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wait how is that legal? Have any of these people reached out to, say, their state AG or insurance commission?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
If any of you have a huge compressor with a hard to reach drain valve you can replace it with a 90 degree elbow, a length of nipple, and a ball valve. All brass. Then draining is super easy (but also much much more loud).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NancyPants posted:

Wait how is that legal? Have any of these people reached out to, say, their state AG or insurance commission?

It's not like they don't process your claim (though every insurance company tries to get out of it if they can disclaim it), they just tell you to shop elsewhere instead of allowing you to renew your policy.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have usaa. Look back in this thread to see where my dishwasher flooded and ruined the kitchen, basement stairs, basement ceiling, and basement flooring. These were all replaced, my rate did not change (other than small yearly increase on par with previous year) and have renewed the policy for the following four or more years.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

baquerd posted:

It's not like they don't process your claim (though every insurance company tries to get out of it if they can disclaim it), they just tell you to shop elsewhere instead of allowing you to renew your policy.

Ohhhkay while still sleazy that makes more sense. I thought you meant something like after paying the claim they cancel your coverage. Still a fat load of poo poo, though.

Frankly I'm just mad I don't have the capital to be my own insurance company.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I have usaa. Look back in this thread to see where my dishwasher flooded and ruined the kitchen, basement stairs, basement ceiling, and basement flooring. These were all replaced, my rate did not change (other than small yearly increase on par with previous year) and have renewed the policy for the following four or more years.

I think we're talking about insurance anyone can buy, not just special groups.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Radbot posted:

I think we're talking about insurance anyone can buy, not just special groups.

When it comes to Property and Casualty insurance, USAA is a vastly superior product to anything civilians can buy.

Their banking services are OK, and their investment products are mediocre, but the insurance is amazing, buy it if you can.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

USAA has actually been opening some of its services to the public at large, not sure if insurance is one of those, but it may well be. Also the requirements for the other stuff is laughably loose, like, if you once shook hands with someone who has heard of the military, that's enough.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bad Munki posted:

USAA has actually been opening some of its services to the public at large, not sure if insurance is one of those, but it may well be. Also the requirements for the other stuff is laughably loose, like, if you once shook hands with someone who has heard of the military, that's enough.

The insurance and loans are still restricted despite allowing plebs to get a checking account. The restrictions also aren't that loose, you need to have a familial relation with a servicemember. Believe me, I've tried.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, I was being facetious, but yeah, there has to be some actual connection for the "good stuff" at USAA. In my case, I married someone who's father was part of public health service, and that was sufficient, and my kids will have access, too. I don't know all the specifics, but I think it basically boils down to "if you can paint a family/legal line from you to someone who has USAA, you can have USAA," that person doesn't have to actually be military themselves.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I'm annoyed at USAA because they still won't write me a wind/storm policy for my house.

Of course, it doesn't help that I'm in a hurricane prone area, but the "alternative" they give me for the wind/storm part of the policy is the state wind pool, which is expensive and doesn't pay replacement costs if your roof gets blown off.

And my "connection" to the military that allows me to have service is through my grandfather, who flew B-24s in WWII. Of course, my father got a membership while he was still a dependent, and I got my membership while I was still a dependent of my father.

Best auto insurance, and I got a rate on my new (to me) car loan recently that nobody else I talked to could come anywhere near.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Haha yah my car insurance is a very good rate through them.

Was hilarious when I called Geico to cancel after I got married.

"Oh well let's run a quote and see if we can't make that rate better."

Yeah well I'm switching to USAA, I really don't think you'll be able to beat them.

"Oh well Geico started out as insuring servicemembers blah blah blah" takes 20 bucks a month off my rate.

Yeah uh I get better coverage for a little over half that.

I really love retention rates. Because we don't value you enough as a customer until you want to leave, but we're going to act like we're best friends.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
LED bulb question. I'm still a bit unclear on how LED bulbs wattage works.

Example: I have a bunch of 40 watt incandescent bulbs in our basement's potlights (I think the maximum watts permitted for the fixture is 40w). Is there any harm in installing an LED bulb that says "8w = 50w"?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

melon cat posted:

Example: I have a bunch of 40 watt incandescent bulbs in our basement's potlights (I think the maximum watts permitted for the fixture is 40w). Is there any harm in installing an LED bulb that says "8w = 50w"?

Go crazy. It's more a matter of heat than anything else, and LEDs are very cool.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Radbot posted:

Go crazy. It's more a matter of heat than anything else, and LEDs are very cool.

Alright then! I will! All I need to do is convince my wife that the Philips Hue Connected is worth it. :dance:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

melon cat posted:

Alright then! I will! All I need to do is convince my wife that the Philips Hue Connected is worth it. :dance:

My wife was convinced when I showed her how to synchronize f.lux and Hue, ambering-up the lights at the same time the monitor does as the sun goes down. So relaxing.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

melon cat posted:

Like Radbot said the concern is the heat the actual wattage draw will create. The 8w = 50w or equivalent stuff has to do with how much light it puts out -- they are claiming their 8w LED puts out as much light as a typical 50w incandescent.

A friend has some of the Philips hue bulbs, they are really neat. I like their non fancy LED bulbs you can get off amazon for 8 or so bucks, they've been real good on the whole, both bright and a pleasant color.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

H110Hawk posted:

In short: no. Damage by insects, birds, domestic animals, and vermin is specifically excluded, even if it did happen within your policy period (which it did not).

I don't know who y'all are getting your homeowner's insurance from, but typically, one claim won't affect anything; in no state is a rate increase tied to anything but risk and loss experience (in other words, the amount paid will not affect your rates).

I have worked for a half-dozen carriers since 1984. None have cancelled after one loss. I have been out on insureds who have fifteen or more prior claims. Many times they haven't bothered to repair the damage since the last time I was out.

I've seen rates go up; I've seen deductibles increase. But cancelled after a loss? Because of the loss? Not legal.

Now, on the other hand, carriers are usually permitted to provisionally cancel a given percentage of their book every year. They can't pick frequent fliers, though; it's gotta be random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

We have more Hue bulbs than I care to admit, but they are quite nice. Be forewarned though that the app (to control the lights) is a piece of trash. There are basic functions missing, it is counterintuitive and frustrating to use, and the functions it does include do not always work that well.