Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Death?
This poll is closed.
Love it! 49 28.00%
Leave it! 59 33.71%
That is not dead which can eternal lie... 67 38.29%
Total: 175 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

For once, you're within the neighborhood of being right. The majority would give up. But even if you waved a magic wand that made every semi-automatic vanish *and* 99.99% of American gun owners folded, you're still looking at a larger force than AQI at its peak, armed with bolt-action hunting rifles that just so happen to be great for sniper attacks.

So the reason we should do what you ask is that you and others like you will begin a systematic guerrilla campaign against all of those whom supported this ban. You've gone from 'But this goes against my rights' to 'let me keep my guns or I'll start killing people'.

Congratulations, you're making terrorist threats. They grow up so fast.

tumblr.txt posted:

Ouch. If they do, a "turn back or get sunk" policy would be a hit with the Australian public :australia:

. . . I'm going to hope you're being ironic, because Australia has been racist as poo poo as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

E-Tank posted:

. . . I'm going to hope you're being ironic, because Australia has been racist as poo poo as of late.

Deadly serious. We don't like boats.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

tumblr.txt posted:

Deadly serious. We don't like boats.

I hope you're not in favor of said policies regarding the murder of people desperate to survive.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

The Aardvark posted:

So hard core gun nuts will be like those dirty Muslims they hate. Interesting.

That's a bit of a broad brush. Anyway, if it works, it works.

E-Tank posted:

So the reason we should do what you ask is that you and others like you will begin a systematic guerrilla campaign against all of those whom supported this ban. You've gone from 'But this goes against my rights' to 'let me keep my guns or I'll start killing people'.

Congratulations, you're making terrorist threats. They grow up so fast.

No, I wouldn't condone shooting people merely for voting, even if it is for a victimless crime. Anyone picking up a gun to enforce said crime is fair game (so for example, a black male who's looking at either shooting a cop down or doing 20 years for drug offenses is weapons free IMHO; better luck next time on enforcing actual laws that deserve to exist).

There is no contradiction between "This goes against my rights" and "I'm not asking."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

Right, because people are LESS dead when they get their head hacked apart with a machete. Or skull crushed with pipe.

Yes, because the only place wounds happen is the head.

Tell me, LeJackal, if I created a pill that you could swallow and then the next person you thought about really hard died instantly (painfully, 100% certainty of death, no chance of bystander injury or property damage beyond what someone suddenly dying would normally cause), would you say that this pill should be regulated and perhaps access to it should be restricted?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

E-Tank posted:

I hope you're not in favor of said policies regarding the murder of people desperate to survive.

This has nothing to do with GunChat, but no, I don't want anyone to be murdered. I don't want open borders either. I think we should accept women, children and families, but not single fighting age men.

The current strategy of deporting people to 3rd world shitholes like Cambodia is harsh but seems to be working.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Somfin posted:

Tell me, LeJackal, if I created a pill that you could swallow and then the next person you thought about really hard died instantly (painfully, 100% certainty of death, no chance of bystander injury or property damage beyond what someone suddenly dying would normally cause), would you say that this pill should be regulated and perhaps access to it should be restricted?

Given someone could swallow a heap and pick off every world leader, in minutes, I'd say yes.

A nut with a gun tends to end up dead. A nut with your pill faces no risk.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Somfin posted:

Yes, because the only place wounds happen is the head.

If you can create such wonderful magics, why don't you ride your unicorn down to fairyville and get us some of their magic healing pixie dust?

Lets put cancer out to pasture.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

LeJackal posted:

If you can create such wonderful magics, why don't you ride your unicorn down to fairyville and get us some of their magic healing pixie dust?

LeJackal, please tell me you're the sane one here and wouldn't try and shoot government officials doing their jobs. Please tell me you don't believe in this bullshit about 'good ol' boys with their bolt action rifles' going out and killing people to try and 'take this country back'?

You want to know why I want to ban guns? Because of this poo poo right here. Because of people cavalierly saying they'd kill people if they didn't get their way.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

It's called a hypothetical, LeJackal, and I'd like you to engage with it because I want to know, more precisely, the edges to your worldview. If I could make that pill, would you want it to be freely available to everyone?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

E-Tank posted:

LeJackal, please tell me you're the sane one here and wouldn't try and shoot government officials doing their jobs. Please tell me you don't believe in this bullshit about 'good ol' boys with their bolt action rifles' going out and killing people to try and 'take this country back'?

You want to know why I want to ban guns? Because of this poo poo right here. Because of people cavalierly saying they'd kill people if they didn't get their way.

Its hyperbole. Calm down.

Somfin posted:

It's called a hypothetical, LeJackal, and I'd like you to engage with it because I want to know, more precisely, the edges to your worldview. If I could make that pill, would you want it to be freely available to everyone?

I learned something of your worldview. Let me turn this around real quick: what is with this part "died instantly (painfully, " and why did you include it? You make this hypothetical from whole cloth, so you must have included the 'painfully' bit for a deliberate reason. You could have typed 'painlessly' with only a few more keystrokes, or dropped the descriptor altogether.

Let me tell you something real quick; I don't relish violence or pain for the joy on inflicting it on others. When I hunt I bring a little less meat home because I never settle for anything less than a clean, humane kill. I treat game animals with as much respect as I can afford them (more than their natural predators do) and when it comes to self-defense, my aim is not to cause an instant painful death to anyone or anything. The purpose is to stop the threat.

Therefore I find your inclusion of the descriptor 'painfully' in your hypothetical rather troubling, as it paints a very disturbing tone either to your mental state or the state that you image others to possess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tumblr.txt posted:

To many people, widespread confiscation is pissing all over the constitution, and honestly has a chance of starting a civil war.
Why not start the civil war now?

They'd have the advantage of surprise, after all. Surely victory would be quite likely. I have no doubt that you could wipe up all of the blood involved with a thimble. Their rights are under threat, at least potentially; this would send a clear and unambiguous message.

I can think of several reasons, of course.

One is that it's so much blowing of smoke, and nobody would do anything. Or at least, not on anything like an organized basis.
Another would be that the threat has not yet been adequately used to produce concessions, much like the last round of it.
I would say there is some adherence to some kind of non-initiation of force, but I've heard enough talk about traitors who hate America that I think you could get past that in a couple of years.
Perhaps they expect that they would, in fact, lose.

But why not start now?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LeJackal posted:

I learned something of your worldview. Let me turn this around real quick: what is with this part "died instantly (painfully, " and why did you include it? You make this hypothetical from whole cloth, so you must have included the 'painfully' bit for a deliberate reason. You could have typed 'painlessly' with only a few more keystrokes, or dropped the descriptor altogether.

Let me tell you something real quick; I don't relish violence or pain for the joy on inflicting it on others. When I hunt I bring a little less meat home because I never settle for anything less than a clean, humane kill. I treat game animals with as much respect as I can afford them (more than their natural predators do) and when it comes to self-defense, my aim is not to cause an instant painful death to anyone or anything. The purpose is to stop the threat.

Therefore I find your inclusion of the descriptor 'painfully' in your hypothetical rather troubling, as it paints a very disturbing tone either to your mental state or the state that you image others to possess.

I included it to cover the 'well how do they die' bases. But you're responding! That's fantastic!

Okay, so, let's drop painfully. The pill's effects are instant and painless. Let's also say the effects work on animals- given intense mental focus on a specific animal, that animal dies instantly and painlessly. Do you say that these pills should be freely available?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nessus posted:

Why not start the civil war now?

They'd have the advantage of surprise, after all. Surely victory would be quite likely. I have no doubt that you could wipe up all of the blood involved with a thimble. Their rights are under threat, at least potentially; this would send a clear and unambiguous message.

I can think of several reasons, of course.

One is that it's so much blowing of smoke, and nobody would do anything. Or at least, not on anything like an organized basis.
Another would be that the threat has not yet been adequately used to produce concessions, much like the last round of it.
I would say there is some adherence to some kind of non-initiation of force, but I've heard enough talk about traitors who hate America that I think you could get past that in a couple of years.
Perhaps they expect that they would, in fact, lose.

But why not start now?

Yesssssss.... Pick up the gun..... feeeeeeel the power course through you....... Join the Gun side. You must take up the gun to make others give it up.

Or I dunno do nothing but bark at the moon because I sure as hell dont see any of you guys actually fighting to disarm others.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

To be completely honest, a major reason I want gun control is to remove the ability of the Oath Keepers and the like to keep a stockpile of weapons. It is extremely dangerous and I fear they will successfully massacre a protest group in the next 2 to 3 years due to their insanity, especially after what they pulled in Ferguson.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

NNick posted:

To be completely honest, a major reason I want religion control is to remove the ability of the Muslims and the like to keep a stockpile of Korans. It is extremely dangerous and I fear they will successfully [do some made up poo poo like brainwash our children]

Good point, I never thought about it that way.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

LeJackal posted:

Good point, I never thought about it that way.

Yes, comparing muslims to a far right extremist militia is exactly what a non-racist would say.

And, comparing a religious text to a gun is exactly what a sane person would say.

Did you support what the Oath Keepers did in Ferguson? Do you think they are responsible gun owners?

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Dear thread: I am now watching Red Dawn.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

NNick posted:

Yes, comparing muslims to a far right extremist militia is exactly what a non-racist would say.

And, comparing a religious text to a gun is exactly what a sane person would say.

Insert whatever constitutionally protected human right you don't approve of and some minority outgroup you don't like coupled with whatever fantastical threat sounds most frighteningly implausible. Its a formula.

(I thought using the racism you decry would wake you up to the flawed logic behind your belief. I am cursed with optimism.)

NNick posted:

Did you support what the Oath Keepers did in Ferguson? Do you think they are responsible gun owners?

What did they do? I did a quick search and from the headlines it seems like they went to Ferguson, did some legal open carry, and spoke with both business owners and protest leaders about the legality of OC and how they can work together to secure their communities.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Yesssssss.... Pick up the gun..... feeeeeeel the power course through you....... Join the Gun side. You must take up the gun to make others give it up.

Or I dunno do nothing but bark at the moon because I sure as hell dont see any of you guys actually fighting to disarm others.
Come and make me. :smaug:

To be frank some kind of actual semi-organized patriot fiction uprising probably is the one thing that could see a lot of draconian legislation passed, and is perhaps the one thing I can think of that would potentially bring along support for actual confiscation of the sort which keeps so many brave patriots erect up at night. I mean, "could," mostly I don't think even the Republican party apparatus would warmly embrace a movement that actually killed federal law enforcement officers in an organized way.

What struck me once when reading some dude's twenty-tweet manifesto about how people would shoot mortar rounds into landing passenger planes, leading to airlines pressuring the government to oppose gun control, is how... eager, it seemed, despite this tone of "DON'T DO THIS, THIS HORRIBLE THING WHICH EMPHASIZES OUR POWER AND MASCULINITY WILL HAPPEN AND WE WILL WIN ANYWAY" involved.

NNick posted:

See I personally think this is very telling. It is making an assertion that the private ownership of firearms is morally equivalent to the freedom of worship. Now of course the point intended here is "would you take a Quran away from somebody?" but I think the implicit converse of "my firearms are equivalent to the Bible" is equally telling.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 24, 2015

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

My post was an interpretation of relevant gun legislation for several European countries, so...

Pages back but uh, no what European countries distinguish between rifle rounds? The way you put it suggests that rifles arent used for hunting, but shotguns are.

Also, how do you distinguish between a normal rifle and a battle rifle? Just the way how it looks? Its operation method?

Also, what is your stake in the US gun control debate? I never understood why foreigners come to either side of the debate.
I dont do it either, I just offer clarification to posts about hunting and firearm laws in my country, which are posted about some Times.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

punakone posted:

Also, what is your stake in the US gun control debate? I never understood why foreigners come to either side of the debate.
Considering the vigor and frequency with which other nations (usually the UK in a 'bad' way and Switzerland and Israel in a 'good' way) are cited in various pro-firearms discussions, I"d say an Englishman or an Israeli or a Swiss - or any other person from a nation abroad - would have reasonable cause to want to chime in. I also think Canadians, Mexicans, and residents of Caribbean states might have cause to be concerned.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Nessus posted:

Considering the vigor and frequency with which other nations (usually the UK in a 'bad' way and Switzerland and Israel in a 'good' way) are cited in various pro-firearms discussions, I"d say an Englishman or an Israeli or a Swiss - or any other person from a nation abroad - would have reasonable cause to want to chime in. I also think Canadians, Mexicans, and residents of Caribbean states might have cause to be concerned.

Yeah, I totally agree with clarifying misunderstandings with other countries' laws, but then you have steinrokkan and flowers for algiers who arent Americans actually debating stuff that has no course in their life.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Red Dawn Update: Finished it. There is no greater movie. If I owned any American guns I've get one out of the safe, wave it high and triumphantly cry WOLVERINES.

e: then shed a single tear for Liberty.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Nobody has really explained to me how the paradox of Chris Kyle's death occurred.

He was at a firing range, a place, by definition, filled with guns. Everyone in that place had a gun. Being at a range, they were presumably trained to use guns, yet a PTSD-suffering schizophrenic was able to murder two people without being blown away, something we're assured will almost always happen in any situation where someone goes nuts with a gun.

How is this possible? How did an entire range full of good guys with gun fail to stop a single bad guy with a gun? Was his gun-fu stronger than everyone else's, or is it just that when bullets start flying gun owners turn out to be just as cowardly and prone to panic as everyone else?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tumblr.txt posted:

Red Dawn Update: Finished it. There is no greater movie. If I owned any American guns I've get one out of the safe, wave it high and triumphantly cry WOLVERINES.

e: then shed a single tear for Liberty.
What I noticed about the film was that the Soviets were simultaneously ultimately strong and tremendously weak. Also, of course, how the Wolverines accomplished no meaningful military goals other than killing some people and engraving their name in a rock.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Ddraig posted:

Nobody has really explained to me how the paradox of Chris Kyle's death occurred.

He was at a firing range, a place, by definition, filled with guns. Everyone in that place had a gun. Being at a range, they were presumably trained to use guns, yet a PTSD-suffering schizophrenic was able to murder two people without being blown away, something we're assured will almost always happen in any situation where someone goes nuts with a gun.

How is this possible? How did an entire range full of good guys with gun fail to stop a single bad guy with a gun? Was his gun-fu stronger than everyone else's, or is it just that when bullets start flying gun owners turn out to be just as cowardly and prone to panic as everyone else?

More along the lines is the first couple of rounds came from behind the victims and took them by surprise. And it's not like anyone isn't expecting to hear gunfire at the range.

You'd thought of that yourself if you stopped rubbing your cock while trying to think of some cunty quip to type out before you jizzed goo into your eye.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

punakone posted:

Yeah, I totally agree with clarifying misunderstandings with other countries' laws, but then you have steinrokkan and flowers for algiers who arent Americans actually debating stuff that has no course in their life.

Have you heard of the "someone is wrong on the Internet" syndrome?
Basically it boils down to me having an opinion, and having enough time to talk about it. I have no stakes in this. It's pretty sad.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I never would have thought bringing up an example of citizen approved MAD and it's failure to not prevent the death of a true patriot or immediately bring the murderer to justice would be so contentious.

It's almost as if one of the large talking points about why guns are necessary is complete bullshit that doesn't actually hold up in a real world scenario.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

InterceptorV8 posted:

More along the lines is the first couple of rounds came from behind the victims and took them by surprise. And it's not like anyone isn't expecting to hear gunfire at the range.

You'd thought of that yourself if you stopped rubbing your cock while trying to think of some cunty quip to type out before you jizzed goo into your eye.
I think this argument would be stronger if you could add more scatological or sexual details. Like you're getting there but I really think you'd need to say more about (say) how small his genitals are, or how poorly formed, before you'll really score a persuasive hit.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I never would have thought bringing up an example of citizen approved MAD and it's failure to not prevent the death of a true patriot or immediately bring the murderer to justice would be so contentious.

It's almost as if one of the large talking points about why guns are necessary is complete bullshit that doesn't actually hold up in a real world scenario.

"Two guys got shot in the back like three years ago, checkmate atheists."

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
"if guns are so dangerous than ranges would be dripping with blood ":smuggo:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The range owner or other concerned citizens taking the time to check if those shots fired are actually being fired properly and not in the back of the head of fellow range users? No need to worry about that, what are the chances.

Meanwhile going out the front door with a small arsenal or sleeping with a loaded shotgun under bed on the miniscule chance any given person you see is going to rape and murder you is entirely reasonable, it's almost guaranteed to happen if you don't have your magical talisman.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
FYI this is like saying police should check to make sure cars are being driven properly at all times, and if someone managed to spend 10 seconds driving into a tree, they weren't doing their job.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

FYI this is like saying police should check to make sure cars are being driven properly at all times, and if someone managed to spend 10 seconds driving into a tree, they weren't doing their job.

Sure, let's focus on the lack of killer instinct in gun advocates, unable to kill even a really ineffective shooter. Imagine if it was a liberal false-flag Manchurian candidate plant instead.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Once you you enter a range you take on the understanding that you're entering a strange flux in reality where it is simultaneously well regulated and completely safe but also a no man's land where nobody can predict or prevent someone being shot in the back of the head.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Once you you enter a range you take on the understanding that you're entering a strange flux in reality where it is simultaneously well regulated and completely safe but also a no man's land where nobody can predict or prevent someone being shot in the back of the head.

Gawd drat you are a pussy.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

I think this argument would be stronger if you could add more scatological or sexual details. Like you're getting there but I really think you'd need to say more about (say) how small his genitals are, or how poorly formed, before you'll really score a persuasive hit.

I thought the anti crowd loved to think about cocks all the time though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Why didn't they honor Kyle with a 21 gun salute directly into the guy who murdered two people?

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Let us never forget that, although they believe us all to be pedophiles, joke about us killing ourselves, and insist that we are all welfare queens, conservatives like gun advocates claim to be all for politeness and civility, freedom and justice. The society they want to build is one of nothing but lies and bile. Thus, it is truly regrettable that such clumsy measures as laws and regulations must be deployed against them.

• Locked thread