Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Two dumb questions because I've barely played in a year or so:

1) How valuable are the contents of the Trick Or Treat bags really? I've gotten a decent amount of luck from them, plus some ascended crafting materials. But they sell for a LOT of gold too, like for an hour of play time I can make 4-6 gold from selling them. I'm just trying to figure out how much I should sell or keep, I don't really know the state of the economy. I've only got about 60g on my account for what that's worth.

2) What are the Oiled Orichalcum parts for in crafting? Requires materials from HoT areas? Any idea what they make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there definitely could be some tuning done in the near future, which i feel like might happen if it's brought up enough. i have full exotic soldier armor on my guardian with ascended soldier accessories and i still feel squishy as gently caress somehow. not that i expect to breeze through everything or whatever, but one wrong move and i get royally hosed up depending on what i'm facing.

overall i really like the expansion, though! like, did people expect there to not be some sort of grind? it's an mmo. the grind sure beats having loving nothing to do once you hit 80.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

overall i really like the expansion, though! like, did people expect there to not be some sort of grind? it's an mmo. the grind sure beats having loving nothing to do once you hit 80.

hmm yes, as long as we're all just killing time on the road to an unmourned death, why not spend your days mashing the 1 key and drooling onto your gut?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

agreed, unironically

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Press f to pay respects

http://i.imgur.com/ZwWELAA.png

Somehow I dont think I was supposed to :haw: when I saw that.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

agreed, unironically

yeah I know you agree, you loving mouthbreather, that's why I was mocking you

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.

Smith Comma John posted:

I've been doing okay as half-done reaper running full zerker with the death shroud line for life force gen as well as death magic with minions to help distract and purge conditions. Make sure to drop your GS pulsing dark field, then pop into shroud as much as you can to tank / do good aoe damage / drop the big #5 stun on things.

Occasionally you just run into a cluster of overtuned event mobs and get blasted to downed state in one second, poo poo happens.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try running with minions, especially with the death magic traits (like the one that grants toughness based on active minions?) - I've been using a fairly standard spite/blood magic build for boosting my melee and wells. Like I said, the damage is really good but I just can't take more than a few hits outside of shroud.

Haven't run into enemies that hit this hard or this fast (seriously, gently caress smokescales) anywhere else in the open world. It's really ridiculous.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, I don't think I would mind the actual grind as-is if the enemies were easier to fight. Right now every quest and event in the jungle feels like such a slog to play through. Maybe I will just do Halloween stuff until the dust settles

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It really feels like they want you to actively group up for HoT stuff. Relying on randoms isn't all that feasible when everything seems to work best with a group and the zones are large enough that people tend to be really spread out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

at the date posted:

yeah I know you agree, you loving mouthbreather, that's why I was mocking you

i'm not sure what editing 'mongoloid' to 'mouthbreather' accomplished in the long run but i apologize if you are still angry about that one time people said mean things about the armor in the game that is guild wars 2.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I don't think I would mind the actual grind as-is if the enemies were easier to fight. Right now every quest and event in the jungle feels like such a slog to play through. Maybe I will just do Halloween stuff until the dust settles

i'm not sure if i'll hit a cut-off point soon for the moment due to being dangerously close to wiping near all the time, but yeah. at times it almost feels unfair, especially with the AI of certain enemies making them basically deadly if you ignore them for a few seconds at all. and of course, they have massive range and can stand waaaay back when you're busy with other junk.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why is everyone whining about masteries being "grindy" when literally everything in the game (except halloween content which does genuinely suck) gives you experience towards them? Grinding is when you have to walk around killing the same trash mobs over and over again so you're strong enough to beat the next boss. Just play the actual game however you usually play the game, you'll get there eventually. Personally I'm actually really excited that exp means something again at level 80. I didn't want to do map completion before because I felt silly doing all those hearts etc with a level 80 character for a pittance of silver and unlocking a useless vendor but now I'm actually motivated to go do it since I'll be working towards masteries at the same time.

The only problem I can see is if the story content is gated behind extremely high-level masteries that take forever for a casual player to unlock, but I don't think that's an inherent problem with masteries themselves and it's something they can presumably fix without altering the way masteries work significantly.

ETA: That's not a comment about the posts above me talking about the grind in the HoT areas, I agree that playing the game sucks when the enemies keep slaughtering you and they do need to do something about that. I'm talking about the people whining about having to "grind" for masteries in general.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Organza Quiz posted:

Why is everyone whining about masteries being "grindy" when literally everything in the game (except halloween content which does genuinely suck) gives you experience towards them? Grinding is when you have to walk around killing the same trash mobs over and over again so you're strong enough to beat the next boss. Just play the actual game however you usually play the game, you'll get there eventually. Personally I'm actually really excited that exp means something again at level 80. I didn't want to do map completion before because I felt silly doing all those hearts etc with a level 80 character for a pittance of silver and unlocking a useless vendor but now I'm actually motivated to go do it since I'll be working towards masteries at the same time.

The only problem I can see is if the story content is gated behind extremely high-level masteries that take forever for a casual player to unlock, but I don't think that's an inherent problem with masteries themselves and it's something they can presumably fix without altering the way masteries work significantly.

ETA: That's not a comment about the posts above me talking about the grind in the HoT areas, I agree that playing the game sucks when the enemies keep slaughtering you and they do need to do something about that. I'm talking about the people whining about having to "grind" for masteries in general.

Source your quotes

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Here's a couple of rounds Lazy and I had with Revenant and Thief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqv608o-i9c

I can make s/p + p/p daredevil work I think.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
ANET got this hero point stuff the wrong way round. People want to play the new specs in the new content.

Right now you play the old specs, finish everything then you get the new spec... with nothing for it to do.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Visidan posted:

ANET got this hero point stuff the wrong way round. People want to play the new specs in the new content.

Right now you play the old specs, finish everything then you get the new spec... with nothing for it to do.

Thats what the raid is for :getin:

I'm lucky I had 200 points to unlock a workable amount of stuff of the new spec with. I ran ahead a few zones and it seemed so huge I had no idea what to do so I just logged out (which isn't a bad thing actually, I just want to experience all of it with my buddies)

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Alright ladies and germs. I'm level 20 on my Revenant. I have never actually made it to 80 because I have a terrible habit in RPG games, which is starting over constantly until I find a character class and and starting area I like. The Revenant has been awesome and I promised myself I'd stick with it. The highest I've ever been in this game is level 30ish about a year ago. So, my question is:where do I go from Queensdale as a human? I absolutely hated Kessex Hills last time I did it because whomever thought up underwater combat at ANet should be constantly bludgeoned with the socks people poop in. Is going to other starting areas going to be worthwhile experience? Should I just do EoTM? I want to get to 80 as soon as I can.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Visidan posted:

Yeah I got hyped up for Druid for months and now the xpac hits and...Who knows how long it will be until I can actually play it. I'm cool with a long grind to max out everything, but dang gimme the elite specs at least.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think in a way that having those beta weekends kinda hurt some people's first impressions a bit. it was really fun to just immediately have the entire elite spec after starting a test character, but now that we're in the thick of it it's kinda disappointing that the elite specs are doled out slowly. i really feel like the points needed should be like...300 or something? at the very least. i can assume they don't want to lower it too much, but it really feels like they should just a bit.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I think a good even ground can be reached by reducing it to 1 point needed.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Visidan posted:

I think a good even ground can be reached by reducing it to 1 point needed.

Yea this sounds about right.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So that new WvW map is super pretty and super abandoned. DOA? :ghost:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Agreed, I'm actually not at all looking forward to playing through the brand new content as the same loving class I've been for 3 years, I may actively avoid it tbh. Anet really got this wrong :(

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Apart from the hero point situation I'm enjoying the expansion tho

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Xae posted:

They scaling is pretty messed up.

GW2.txt

Unless its in a totally controlled area, like an instance, expect everything to be an over tuned, boring, wall of HP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

How's the new WvW?

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

How's the new WvW?

Right now its this

Raskolnikov posted:

But uh hopefully people will start playing it for reset. It's really easy to get lost in the little experience I had which was not super fun.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm enjoying the expansion, thanks anet. New zone looks super-pretty, I don't care about grind since I have time and don't care about the elites. thanks you're welcome

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Raskolnikov posted:

The matchup going on right now ends in less than 24 hours and won't affect rankings so everybody's in full DGAF mode.

CLAM DOWN posted:

How's the new WvW?
It's pretty dead at the moment because, well, see above.

I ran around briefly with a smaller group and all I can say is that I hope you like watching T3 wall and door health bars go down very, very slowly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Visidan posted:

Agreed. It's especially annoying because even with max hero points on my Guardian I only had enough access to 1 trap and the heal trap, and after playing Verdant Brink a few hours it feels like the content is really really geared towards Elites, but like gently caress I'm gonna want to keep playing Verdant Brink when I'm done doing all the poo poo to unlock them unless they're lucrative on a level with SW trains.

PsychicToaster posted:

Alright ladies and germs. I'm level 20 on my Revenant. I have never actually made it to 80 because I have a terrible habit in RPG games, which is starting over constantly until I find a character class and and starting area I like. The Revenant has been awesome and I promised myself I'd stick with it. The highest I've ever been in this game is level 30ish about a year ago. So, my question is:where do I go from Queensdale as a human? I absolutely hated Kessex Hills last time I did it because whomever thought up underwater combat at ANet should be constantly bludgeoned with the socks people poop in. Is going to other starting areas going to be worthwhile experience? Should I just do EoTM? I want to get to 80 as soon as I can.

The portals in Lion's Arch are your best loving friend as you'll be able to grab WPs in all 5 starting areas and branch out from each one based on your interest. Also take the portal in Divinity's Reach to Ebonhawke once you're level 30+.

Also be sure to use https://www.gw2timer.com to learn where all the low-level world bosses are and what times they're up-- they're great at sub-80 for getting quick XP and loot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

People levelling new revs, you having fun? I think that's what I'm gonna do first, and hope Anet fixes/rebalances elite unlocking.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

People levelling new revs, you having fun? I think that's what I'm gonna do first, and hope Anet fixes/rebalances elite unlocking.

I'm loving it so far. Staff Revenant is fantastic. Fast attacks, a skill that thrives on hitting anything using a skill and then disrupting it, decent heal and condition remover on a low cooldown, and a fun as gently caress charging attack. I thought staff sucked before I got some power gear and realized how wrong I was.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

CLAM DOWN posted:

I tomed my rev to 80, but doing world completion is super fun and I'm really enjoying the class.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I auto-levelled my Rev to 55 but so far playing around with him is fun. It's really great to have a heavy character who can be tuned to condition damage, and Rev gives out a lot of the really fun conditions (Confusion, Torment) instead of Bleed/Burn/Poison. Managing the energy bar is kind-of a drag as I'm still getting used to all the various energy costs, and I find Ventari's tablet to be a giant pain in the rear end with default bindings, but outside of those minor complaints it's a really worthwhile addition to the game.

I can't wait to start trying it in PvP :getin:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

CLAM DOWN posted:

I boosted mine straight to 80 with full berserker gear, and it's a blast. Became my main over warrior instantly. Hammer is just so much fun. I use staff for melee which I like, sword seems slightly underperforming. 1 and 2 don't feel like they do as much damage as they should. Sword 3 and hammer 3 are also like extra dodge rolls because you vanish while doing them and thus you can evade big hits while doing damage :v:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Did any goon do a writeup of the different elite specs? I barely played the betas so I'm not sure which elite to start working on.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Visidan posted:

turn back cletus, you are in too deep

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sounds like I'm playing Misteriarus first, thanks for the rev feedback!

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I messed around WvW a bit. I have little idea about what I'm doing there, so grain of salt etc.

OneEightHundred posted:

I ran around briefly with a smaller group and all I can say is that I hope you like watching T3 wall and door health bars go down very, very slowly.

Yes. 2 rams barely scratch a T3 tower door. I've never been happier to see an enemy team come to try and break the siege, just to have something to do. There'll be a lot of supply running in the future. Or just blow all the gold on golems. I guess this makes camps a bit more relevant? T3 camps are still soloable with my whatever PvE staff necro. No gathering points btw, so when there's nothing to do, there's literally nothing to do.

I haven't seen the mid map super weapon go yet, I hope it blows every single door on the map off its hinges.

The maps themselves are visually more interesting and varied, and much more vertical. They still seem to flow okay, there always seemed to be a fairly obvious path towards whatever objective. Grabbing a shrine now gives you sanic speed for several minutes, and there are quake 3 jump pads around, so traversing was pretty fun at least for now.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is there something I can do in sPvP to get Mastery credit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExHumus
Aug 30, 2006

BOOM BOOM!!

kater posted:

Is there something I can do in sPvP to get Mastery credit?

Is there something I can do in PvE to get PvP rank?

• Locked thread