Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

rydiafan posted:

Is the tar baby itself problematic, though? I was under the impression that 99% of the racism in the film is Uncle Remus and his "shucks I sure do love being a slave, and my massa is the nicest" attitude. The brer stories always seemed pretty basic Bugs Bunny stuff to me (at least in memory, I haven't watched them in years). Yeah, the tar baby is black, but that's just because it's made of tar. It's not like it runs around eating watermelon and asking where the white women at.

Song of the South takes place post-Civil War/post-slavery. It's a really common misconception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Never noticed these subtle moments before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ULjJ3EqyY

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

KoRMaK posted:

Holy poo poo. There are some really interesting subtle moments mentioned in this video. In particular, I like the thread about touching the screen. I'll keep an eye out for that theme next time I watch the trilogy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

I am virtually positive this is how Dan Simmons and a few other airport fiction writers see the world.

A shitload of tea partiers too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I love how right up to 8:30 or so, you're thinking "Ok, I can kinda see that if I try hard enough" and then it just goes straight off the deep end from there.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

couldcareless posted:

I love how right up to 8:30 or so, you're thinking "Ok, I can kinda see that if I try hard enough" and then it just goes straight off the deep end from there.

I thought it started weak enough to be a joke and then kinda got creative and added just enough for me to think "I think they might be serious. They're serious. This is serious?"

No matter what, that is a very large collection of clever (and almost clever) connections.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
For me it fell apart at the very beginning by referring to the terrorists as 'Muslim terrorists' when everyone knows that they were 'Libyan nationalists'

Then the next statement is that one of Twin Pines being knocked down referring to the Two Towers being struck on Sept 11th and, though I am less certain on 9/11 facts than BTTF, I am pretty sure that both towers fell on 9/11

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows the Twin Pines/Lone Pine thing is because Marty knocks one of them down in the 50s

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah but crazy cannot deal with simple plots, there's gotta be more (and no one believes me, like in all of my favorite movies, where I'll be RIGHT in the end and everyone who laughed at me will be WRONG!)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They all laughed at me in Film School! But I will be the one laughing now!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lightning can't melt plutonium.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kuiperdolin posted:

Lightning can't melt plutonium.

It doesn't need to melt it! The lightning is there in lieu of the plutonium which was used to create the 1.21 gigawatt of power needed to kick in the flux capacitor. Theory still holds water!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

On @Midnight last night Chris Hardwick did a long, exceptionally unfunny rant about a similar Back to the Future conspiracy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aphrodite posted:

Chris Hardwick..... exceptionally unfunny rant

Dont be redundant.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
The clever thing is that he doesn't assign blame. Nobody did it on purpose. Robert Z. psychicly picked up on the event through the building across the street funneling everybody's awareness of it in the future, which sent the feeling of that event through time and space so he just kinda subconsciously spelled it out.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I thought the hardwick take on it was pretty good. He also cited the dudes channel, which has a bunch more stuff.

Arx Monolith posted:

The clever thing is that he doesn't assign blame. Nobody did it on purpose. Robert Z. psychicly picked up on the event through the building across the street funneling everybody's awareness of it in the future, which sent the feeling of that event through time and space so he just kinda subconsciously spelled it out.
Yea, thought that was neat too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Rewatching Back to the Future 2 in honor of today, I noticed that Doc Brown complains about the inefficiency of the postal office when they arrive in the future yet the movie concludes with a seemingly "instant" delivery of a letter to Marty.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

couldcareless posted:

Rewatching Back to the Future 2 in honor of today, I noticed that Doc Brown complains about the inefficiency of the postal office when they arrive in the future yet the movie concludes with a seemingly "instant" delivery of a letter to Marty.

In 1955.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

couldcareless posted:

That was Western Union, though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Meanwhile the weather service of 2015 has become second-accurate, compared with 1955 where it was confidently predicting clear skies while the Hill Valley storm was brewing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

couldcareless posted:

By a private company. Clearly the entire trilogy has Randian overtones of the inefficiency of the government and the importance of self. Let me show you this fifteen hour YouTube presentation...

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I watched the original Back to the Future today, and when they're prepping the lightning rod on the clocktower, a cop comes up and asks Doc if he has the right permits.

Doc rolls his eyes, and digs out his wallet to give the police his "permit".

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Marty's new 4x4 is from Statler Toyota, and in 3 they show a stand for Joe Statler's horses.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

St_Ides posted:

I watched the original Back to the Future today, and when they're prepping the lightning rod on the clocktower, a cop comes up and asks Doc if he has the right permits.

Doc rolls his eyes, and digs out his wallet to give the police his "permit".

And here I was always wondering what kind of permit Doc would have gotten for this "weather experiment".

That busboy did say he was going to clean up this town.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I was watching Beetlejuice the other day; during one of the parts where guests are over at the house, Delia Deetz makes a crack about suicides having to become civil servants in the afterlife.

The first time the Maitland's go to the Afterlife's waiting room, the green girl behind the glass shows how she slit her own wrists.

Never noticed it before.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Zombie Guy posted:

I was watching Beetlejuice the other day; during one of the parts where guests are over at the house, Delia Deetz makes a crack about suicides having to become civil servants in the afterlife.

The first time the Maitland's go to the Afterlife's waiting room, the green girl behind the glass shows how she slit her own wrists.

Never noticed it before.

The green girl even comments about how she wouldn't have done it if she knew this was what was waiting for her.

There'a more in that vein, too--IIRC after they go back into the offices there's a skeleton moving around on an overhead rail delivering paperwork, and it's hanging from the rail by a noose.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gabriel Pope posted:

The green girl even comments about how she wouldn't have done it if she knew this was what was waiting for her.

There'a more in that vein, too--IIRC after they go back into the offices there's a skeleton moving around on an overhead rail delivering paperwork, and it's hanging from the rail by a noose.

Oh, so that flattened out guy with tire treads on him threw himself into traffic. lol

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gabriel Pope posted:

There'a more in that vein, too

:golfclap:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MariusLecter posted:

Oh, so that flattened out guy with tire treads on him threw himself into traffic. lol

Ironically he ran into a mailbox

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Always made me wonder how Beetlejuice ended up there. Juno has her throat slit but nothing obvious on him, plus he alluded to living through the black death so ???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whoolighams posted:

plus he alluded to living through the black death so ???

Beetlejuice's claims about his personal history may not be entirely accurate due to him being totally loving insane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRDJN23YZmw

He used to be was Juno's assistant so he probably committed suicide as well.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Beetlejuice is a loving great movie.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Used to have a VHS with Ghostbusters & Beetlejuice on it recorded from tv.
Watched it so much I can still remember the old 80's Scottish tv ad's that were on there.

Such a top notch movie, They never explain Beetlejuice's whole deal apart from he used to work for afterlife civil service but he's too unpredictable and has now struck out on his own as a freelancer.

Kind of annoyed I can't find it on any VOD service guess I'll have to buy the Blu-ray.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Used to have a VHS with Ghostbusters & Beetlejuice on it recorded from tv.
Watched it so much I can still remember the old 80's Scottish tv ad's that were on there.

Such a top notch movie, They never explain Beetlejuice's whole deal apart from he used to work for afterlife civil service but he's too unpredictable and has now struck out on his own as a freelancer.

Kind of annoyed I can't find it on any VOD service guess I'll have to buy the Blu-ray.

I would love to have those vhs's with commercials ripped and uploaded somewhere to be shared on a sync tube.

Someone locally has original run seinfield recordings on vhs with commercials. Just somethin about original commercials from the 80s and 90s seems cool. I think its because of how de-fanged they are compared to commercials now. They are also a little bit of a time capsule, I like when the local news preview for the night chimes in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KoRMaK posted:

I would love to have those vhs's with commercials ripped and uploaded somewhere to be shared on a sync tube.

Someone locally has original run seinfield recordings on vhs with commercials. Just somethin about original commercials from the 80s and 90s seems cool. I think its because of how de-fanged they are compared to commercials now. They are also a little bit of a time capsule, I like when the local news preview for the night chimes in.

Or when a commercial for some toy you loved in 1995 comes on that you would've sworn you completely forgot about :allears:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

KoRMaK posted:

There are tons of 90s commercial compilations on youtube if you are into that sort of thing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

MariusLecter posted:

There's nothing subtle about "I've been feeling a little flat EHEHEHEHEHHEHE" whatsoever, but gently caress me if I haven't laughed at it every single time I've seen it in the last 27 years.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not spoiling it since it's so early in the movie: there's an early scene in Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension where the Dad shows off his discovery of a huge gently caress-off 80s-era camera. When the cute little kid comes up to it, she goes :aaa: :haw: ITS SO BIG! :haw: :aaa:, and its naturally really cute and sweet.

What makes it even better is that even before the little girl gets her moment, you can tell she says it two/three times in the background to her parents, but they don't notice her saying it, so she's gonna repeat it until someone acknowledges it, just like a little kid would realistically do. No idea if it was something the director told the little girl to do, or she just improved/just was herself for a few moments, but it's purestrain :3:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

There's nothing subtle about "I've been feeling a little flat EHEHEHEHEHHEHE" whatsoever, but gently caress me if I haven't laughed at it every single time I've seen it in the last 27 years.

So, are you saying that it keeps getting FUNNIER. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you've seen it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Not sure if this counts as a "subtle" moment, but my wife noticed something the other day while she was watching John Wick again. When we saw it the first time, we just enjoyed the music, but she noticed that there's a point where the soundtrack literally spells out something that's going to happen later.

William Dafoe's character Marcus claims early on that he's a friend of John Wick, but later Marcus is hired to kill him. Cue Marilyn Manson: "We're killing strangers so we don't kill the ones that we love." Marcus and John are both making preparations to do some killing while it plays, so you might be forgiven thinking it's just a "time to kill people" song. But it's actually Marcus's theme, and plays again during an important scene he has later. It is telling the audience, point blank, that Marcus really is on John's side and will be killing the strangers who try to kill him.