Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I made a Trading sub-game for my EotE gang. They seem to like it, and I prefer letting the people who care about such things being able to scrape together money, rather than hand out credits as quest rewards, which always feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There is SO MANY books "on the boat" right now...The new adventures for EotE and FaD, the career splat for FaD, and the Rebel Base book for AoR are all somewhere on the ocean. (Although the FaD adventure and the Base book have been on the boat for months now...I wonder what the holdup is...)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Trilas posted:

I'd say that Knowledge (Warfare) should probably be included in the relevant skills, especially for identifying opposing Admirals/Commanders and tactics that they're known for employing.

Yeah that one seems obvious. I don't get how it isn't linked to Cunning. RPG nerd tradition I guess. I would much question how often famous generals of reality would be better described by their INT than their Cunning or Presence. Anyway, I'm trying to figure this out because my Colonist: Doctor/Politico is adding any two skills he wants to the ol' class list via Well Rounded, and dreams of being a starship captain. I already have Cool and Leadership as a Colonist: Doctor. Brawl is being added as one of the two skills for inviolable reasons (anyone familiar with Doctor talents can probably guess right quick). I must pick the other very carefully, but I have some wiggle room: I am going to get the Colonist Signature Ability Unmatched Expertise, which for the unfamiliar lets me majorly reduce the difficulty of career skill checks for one encounter per session, and more relevantly, may apply to one non-career check during its use. So, basically, after Cool and Leadership, what skill, if any, might I need several times during a fleet engagement, as opposed to what skill might I only need to roll once?

This is why I'm upset that we're here guessing and doing designers' work for the designers. I'd be intensely curious to figure out if Knowledge Warfare is the sort of thing I'd only need to roll once to form a battle plan at the start, or somethin'. But I appreciate the conversation. I figured the Commodore spec's skills as a really obvious starting point. But Computers? Astrogation? Nuts to that crap, captains have underlings for that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Welp, my players just demanded we return to our Star Wars game we've been taking a break from. Can't say i disagree :vince:

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Does anyone have a decent scan of the Whisper Base map from the AoR beginner game?

Looking to set this up for our Roll 20 campaign.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Rugpisser posted:

Does anyone have a decent scan of the Whisper Base map from the AoR beginner game?

Looking to set this up for our Roll 20 campaign.

pming you some stuff.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So I just heard that a new RPG group for this is forming tomorrow evening at one of the local stores. I'm looking at trying it out; is there anything that I could/should know or read that would ease getting into the game system?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Corbeau posted:

So I just heard that a new RPG group for this is forming tomorrow evening at one of the local stores. I'm looking at trying it out; is there anything that I could/should know or read that would ease getting into the game system?

Consider using an app for the dice. It is a good system that is a better match for Star Wars than any of its previously licensed systems. XP is easy to come by in the game as it's meant to be run, but you can't increase characteristics with general XP after character creation, so that's the time to buy as much as you can.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Corbeau posted:

Learn which of the three games (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny) you're going to be playing. Adjust expectations appropriately. Do not expect to play a Jedi in an Edge of the Empire game, for instance. Read about how the dice system actually works. Understanding even conceptually what all these symbols mean will ease your transition considerably. Characteristics are king; there is no better way to spend your starting points. If you're playing a one or two shot and you get to make your own character you can probably afford a couple of Talents just to make things a bit more exciting.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Turns out that tonight was all character creation using Edge of the Empire; I'll be playing a Twi'lek Explorer/Trader running from a business deal gone bad. I have a question though; how much does dumping initial XP into a single stat pigeonhole you later? I don't know if I want to pump Presence up to 5, or just boost it to 4 and raise a couple of other stats to 3. I can imagine role-playing either way, but I'm sure that I'd eventually get bored of a one-trick pony in terms of mechanics.

Also, amusingly, no character in our group has any mechanic skill. So if we ever have to fix our ship... :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Turns out that tonight was all character creation using Edge of the Empire; I'll be playing a Twi'lek Explorer/Trader running from a business deal gone bad. I have a question though; how much does dumping initial XP into a single stat pigeonhole you later? I don't know if I want to pump Presence up to 5, or just boost it to 4 and raise a couple of other stats to 3. I can imagine role-playing either way, but I'm sure that I'd eventually get bored of a one-trick pony in terms of mechanics.

Also, amusingly, no character in our group has any mechanic skill. So if we ever have to fix our ship... :v:

You can raise them later -- at the bottom of every specialization tree is a Dedication talent that allows you to raise one characteristic by one point (no higher than 6). Having the 5 or the 4/3/3 is equally good, depending on what other party members did. Remember you can raise skills above the initial characteristic with XP whenever, just that the dice will be green rather than yellow. If you have to go with one thing, though, the 5 is probably better so you're always very good at the thing you built your character around.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Corbeau posted:

4/3/3 is better for Edge characters as the classes are more diverse than Rebellion classes so you will need more the other stats more and multi-classing will need more stats as well.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Thanks for the advice. Oddly, all of the local game store seem to be sold out of the Edge of the Empire core book all of a sudden so I'm going to have to piece some tweaks together via the character builder and guessing. :sigh: What's the tradeoff usually like between training skills and filling in specializations? I'm not actually super thrilled with the Trader specialization tree, so I keep eyeing the force sensitive specialization tree...

Also, is there a power level problem with part of the party being force users? It would kind of suck if half the party started getting overshadowed in terms of abilities.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Also, is there a power level problem with part of the party being force users? It would kind of suck if half the party started getting overshadowed in terms of abilities.

Unlike previous iterations of Star Wars role playing, force using characters are fairly well balanced. They start with fewer career skills and no lightsabers (unless you're doing Knight Level play), and by the time they start getting enough XP to do crazy force power shenanigans, the non-force users will have lots of talents and stuff too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea really my group has found you need to pick one of the 3 'flavors' of game for setting and tone and all, but there's almost no problem with letting your players pick whatever classes and all they want (within reason, duh) from any of the books. They make it a very solid 'cool you can be mr force man, but you're sacrificing other more general skills for this and, ya know, shoot on sight kinda poo poo' or 'yea even if you want to make a demolitions expert in a game about investigation you still can easily access skills that can help and all' kinda balance system.

My last game we played a party of soldiers (a couple clones and a mercenary) with a young jedi who were basically all working as shitbag smugglers to stay off the radar after that whole 'remember when we killed a bunch of you Jedi...yea sorry' thing went down. I think everyone was something from a different book, but we just all had to agree 'so this is an Edge of the Empire game, we're dirtbag smugglers trying to survive, there can be other aspects but the core of this is life on the fringe and all, right?'

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Need a second set of eyes on something. I'm running a EotE game tomorrow for its regular players, and wanted to set the mood with something a little different for the opening of the adventure. I'm hoping for some gut takes and pointers on the cold open below (spoilered for my nosy players on the forum) so I can get it nice and perfect:

R2-13 is noisily cutting out another replacement panel for the B-Wing as you sit down for a much deserved dinner. Morgan didn’t skimp on his amenities, and you are dining with some of the finest Nautollan China and what was undoubtedly stolen true silver Republic engraved cutlery. The wine and food is flowing, and the conversation familiar and pleasant.

(talk)

There’s a sudden flash of blue and white light, washing through the hologram of your secret door and lighting you all up in its wake, flowing through your bodies like they’re not even there. It doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t feel like anything really, but as this wave of light and energy passes through you, but you feel a sudden sense of… wrongness in its wake. There’s a dead silence after it passes, but for the sound of crackling static coming from your hologram as it starts to lose its image. You also start to smell the scent of smoke and ash, and you glance around to see a thick black cloud begin to coalesce at your feet and rise.

(talk. encourage them to go outside)

Through the crackling hologram, you step foot onto paved cobblestones and instinctively look both ways for oncoming traffic, but surprisingly there isn’t any. All the vehicles around you are stopped, some of which look like they crashed into eachother and into the nearby buildings, violently and recently. But the strangeness of the vehicles pales to the horror of the people. You see scores of them. A pair of humans at a cafe. Some Rodians walking out of a pub. A family of Aqualish shopping downtown. Regular people, around you in all directions, many of them pointing upwards, and every single one of them frozen in death. Their flesh is uniformly grey outlined by untouched clothing, their postures flash frozen in place in whatever position they were before it happened. You can tell which ones were paying attention, because they’re the ones who are pointing up or who look like they’re starting to run. As your eyes drift up, you make out the arrow-shaped sillhouette of a Star Destroyer in high orbit, floating between two unfamiliar moons. You hear a crunching sound, and one of the figures nearby crumbles to the ground, the dead ash of its former body weighed down by the clothes it still wears, and sending up a plume of dark soot in its wake. And then another body does this, and another, and another, until you find yourselves standing in an opaque black cloud, so thick you can’t see eachother through it, or anything else for that matter. Until, out of the corner of your eye, a red light saber ignites.

...With a start, you all wake up aboard your starships. You’re still 12 hours out from Ariga, making good time back towards the system after dropping off your high value prisoner with the Republic. A quick scan of your equipment shows clear flying, and no immediate problems to be seen.

Too much, too little, too unclear about what's going on, not plot hookey enough, way overwritten, etc? Thoughts are appreciated, want to get my gamers in a nice mood at the start of the adventure.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

susan posted:

Need a second set of eyes on something. I'm running a EotE game tomorrow for its regular players, and wanted to set the mood with something a little different for the opening of the adventure. I'm hoping for some gut takes and pointers on the cold open below (spoilered for my nosy players on the forum) so I can get it nice and perfect:

Too much, too little, too unclear about what's going on, not plot hookey enough, way overwritten, etc? Thoughts are appreciated, want to get my gamers in a nice mood at the start of the adventure.

Not plot hook-y enough, since there is no tie to what they are doing, nor any indication that they need to go to a place or do a thing. It reads like stage-setting for a bigger reveal later when they suddenly see the Rodians from the vision or whatever, but it does not given any reason for them to do anything. Unless you're going to let them ID the moons or the ship from the vision.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I noticed the Seeker; Pathfinder specialization has a few Animal Empathy type talents, but I haven't managed to find any specific rules for animal companions. Is it meant as a non combat familiar type thing? Or as a mount?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is it a good idea to start off with a main plot in mind? I've run my guys through the edge of the empire newbie adventure. And now want to try them with a mostly freeform adventure to get money and come up with villains and such on the fly during criminal activities and such.

Most of them seem to just want "owe a favor" as their obligations so of course they'll likely end up with the hutts. Any good reading for hutt politics?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Is it a good idea to start off with a main plot in mind? I've run my guys through the edge of the empire newbie adventure. And now want to try them with a mostly freeform adventure to get money and come up with villains and such on the fly during criminal activities and such.

Most of them seem to just want "owe a favor" as their obligations so of course they'll likely end up with the hutts. Any good reading for hutt politics?

Maybe this?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Didn't realize there was a book just for hutts! I'll have to check it out.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

I don't have anything on the Hutts specifically, but for running a player driven/freeform campaign I definitely recommend giving the GM sections of either Apocalypse World or Dungeon World a quick read. The entire thing is basically a "best practices" guide to running a game by the seat of your pants.

That's always been the way I've preferred to GM (because I'm inherently lazy) but after running DW and following the advice there I've become much better at it.

You can find the text of the DW stuff free here.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Finally have some players interested in this and going to start a game in November. Trouble is, I consider myself a really terrible GM. Any tips for this system/game? I'm afraid I'll railroad too much to keep with my precious narrative in my head and might fall into the trap of just reciting the text from the written adventures (I want to do at least the beginner box adventure to familiarize everyone with the game, including me).

Just to clarify, I meant EotE. I don't have either of the other two expansions? Settings? yet.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Finally have some players interested in this and going to start a game in November. Trouble is, I consider myself a really terrible GM. Any tips for this system/game? I'm afraid I'll railroad too much to keep with my precious narrative in my head and might fall into the trap of just reciting the text from the written adventures (I want to do at least the beginner box adventure to familiarize everyone with the game, including me).

Just to clarify, I meant EotE. I don't have either of the other two expansions? Settings? yet.

Some railroading is required for most groups. The key is to railroad them to an interesting juncture, then let their decisions/actions determine where the story advances from there. Present the group with tough choices and/or place them in situations where there's no clear "best" route to take.

The upside to this is it also makes GMing way more fun because you aren't having to conjure ways to get them to do what you want.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

I started with a series of self-contained episodes until the players found allies they really liked and enemies they really hated, then built a plot outline involving those characters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

echopapa posted:

I started with a series of self-contained episodes until the players found allies they really liked and enemies they really hated, then built a plot outline involving those characters.

This is how my group rolls. We start off with a few 'get to know you' self contained episodes and then as those episodes play out and we go 'man that Inquisitor we barely escaped...gently caress that guy, right?' or 'nah we can't just bail on these wookies, let's get them home safe' or whatever the 'main plot' builds from there. You can't just throw the group into a huge thing like Star Wars and see what happens, but when it comes to super solid plans I think you really only need the first few episodes planned out in detail, with the rest being an overall framework of 'I want to explore x in this kinda story'. Like in my group when we decided to gently caress with the Inquisitor instead of hide from her I'm almost positive we tossed the GM's plan away, but he had an overall idea of 'I want to see how a party like this does dealing with the relics of the old wars and all and the long-term side effects of that poo poo' so he was able to really easily adapt for 'oh so I guess the inquisitor is the big bad'.

Basically let the players decide who they love or hate, give them some interesting options and see where they drift, that's the best way to handle something like Star Wars I think.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Going all in would leave your Brawn at 1 which is a little dangerous. In general Explorers are a bit of a jack of all trades class anyway. better to spread the points around.

Servetus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 24, 2015

susan
Jan 14, 2013
My players learned three things today: 1, that A-Wings can't survive two hits from basically anything. 2, that falls from extreme heights (i.e., botching an ejection in atmosphere) cause a critical hit with +75 to the result. 3, that the dice Gods are cruel.

You were a leaf in the wind, Coris...

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Falling is stupid deadly in this system from basically any height.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I’m hoping for a Jackie Chan specialization that lets you take falling damage as strain and gives you bonuses for using improvised weapons. Because every game should have a Jackie Chan specialization.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Rannos22 posted:

Which is thematically appropriate! Think about how many people died from being thrown off of things in the movies.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Rannos22 posted:

Everything is deadly in this system.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

homullus posted:

Everything is deadly in this system.

A starting character without armour is dead on the 2nd heavy blaster rifle shot. It may take three heavy blaster pistol shots with a low crit roll.

Even with armour and a high brawn it doesn't take much to kill a starting character.

Deadly is very much the word.

The irony is that you would have to be lucky to kill a starting character level person with two lightsaber hits but the lightsaber doesn't care about armour or soak.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Our group agreed that death should and would be a possibility in our campaign. We have multiple characters (including mine) with 1 brawn. Sounds like we're in for a ride.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

Some railroading is required for most groups. The key is to railroad them to an interesting juncture, then let their decisions/actions determine where the story advances from there. Present the group with tough choices and/or place them in situations where there's no clear "best" route to take.

The upside to this is it also makes GMing way more fun because you aren't having to conjure ways to get them to do what you want.

Less Dungeon/Game Master and more Dungeon/Game Guide? That makes a bit of sense.

Edit to say that I guess my concern comes from the last game I was in (not SW) being run by someone who I consider to be a fairly good GM kind of losing heart after a bit and turning into a paragraph reciting roll machine. Though I think a bit of that was other players being infected by the lone uninterested "player" whose main goal seemed to be playing Facebook games instead of the campaign.

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 24, 2015

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Corbeau posted:

Our group agreed that death should and would be a possibility in our campaign. We have multiple characters (including mine) with 1 brawn. Sounds like we're in for a ride.

It depends. Play smart and stack the deck in your favor and you will be fine but if you charge a platoon of Stormtroopers then yes people will die.

With enough soak, armour and defensive talents you can tank but without the talents you will get hit and without soak it will hurt. Just remember to load up on stimpacks and if possible have a doctor/medic/healer in the party. My GM thanks his lucky stars that I took the medic class as it widens the margin of challenging but not impossible encounters.

That said our human pilot has lots of scars, my character has been run through multiple times with a lightsaber (but thankfully not at the same time) and our Gand bounty hunter has a reputation among the Comminor medical community of miraculous healing ability.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Less Dungeon/Game Master and more Dungeon/Game Guide? That makes a bit of sense.

Edit to say that I guess my concern comes from the last game I was in (not SW) being run by someone who I consider to be a fairly good GM kind of losing heart after a bit and turning into a paragraph reciting roll machine. Though I think a bit of that was other players being infected by the lone uninterested "player" whose main goal seemed to be playing Facebook games instead of the campaign.

The approach that works best for me is to look at the role of GM more like a referee than than a narrator. The GM's primary concern should be keeping up the fun of the game, rather than making the story what you think it should be. The players are the ones telling the story- you're just there to provide the challenge and set the stage. I used to make the very big mistake of coming up with reams of detail for my players to discover- this can work to some extent, but if you don't empower the players to be the primary agents of the narrative, you're just creating content for them to consume. And you also run the risk of them not really caring about what you consider to be important, which burns a GM out quickly.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just checked out Lords of nal hutta. It looks to be 90% lore from random eu books I read in high school? I mean, there is some new info but Jesus man.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It also means you're able to make a Hutt Jedi, who if you don't take the Enhance tree and give him Force Jumping immediately then you are playing it wrong good sir :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It also means you're able to make a Hutt Jedi, who if you don't take the Enhance tree and give him Force Jumping immediately then you are playing it wrong good sir :colbert:

This is why the book is the most important book to buy.