Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you last played at launch the game is much, much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Cuckoo posted:

If you already purchased ESO, the game is definitely at least worth a playthrough from 1-50. After 50 it can be a take it or leave it situation but personally the Cadwell's levels, AKA vet ranks 1-16, don't bother me much. (I just wish they weren't instanced only to others of my own faction, it feels like such an empty world outside of my own faction because there's no one else to see :smith: )

And yes, it's better than Archeage. Not as innovative, but not as much of a cesspool either.

Yeah, Cadwell's Silver feels pretty barren. I can't wait to see Cadwell's Gold. It'll probably be a ghost town.

After level 50, PvE got really dull, but I think PvP* is still fun in the vet ranks. The only problem is the terrible grind to get better gear, but in some ways it's not so bad either. I just hit V3 the other night, and I know that with how long it takes to hit the next rank, it's actually viable to buy and upgrade gear at my level, since I won't be replacing it the very next day.

*IC PvP. The keep stuff is still slow and boring, albeit sort of exciting to try and ride deep into enemy territory without being seen.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 20, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I played this for a a couple of days at launch. Haven't touched it since. I just got bored. How is it now?

Are you a wildly obsessive turbosperg who isn't happy unless you're squeezing every fraction of a point of damage out of your build and prone to raging out about how Zenimax is ruining the game and you hate it even though you play it compulsively? If so, sure don't bother playing. Do you like vaguely action mmo-y gameplay, Elder Scrolls games, and well designed areas inside a fairly linear world design with decent writing? Then come play, this game is actually really fun and good.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am not sure what to do. My failplar is 46 and just finishing Bangkorai. If I hit 50 can I just stay there for a bit finishing up Undaunted and things like that or do I get immediately kicked into VR and all of that becomes unavailable? Is there a list of things I should get done before 50, or can I just linger there finishing guild and main quests? What is the best way to get groups for Unduanted and such? Do I just go hang out at that Unduanted enclave a few zones back or something? Sorry for my spergy ignorance.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sogol posted:

I am not sure what to do. My failplar is 46 and just finishing Bangkorai. If I hit 50 can I just stay there for a bit finishing up Undaunted and things like that or do I get immediately kicked into VR and all of that becomes unavailable? Is there a list of things I should get done before 50, or can I just linger there finishing guild and main quests? What is the best way to get groups for Unduanted and such? Do I just go hang out at that Unduanted enclave a few zones back or something? Sorry for my spergy ignorance.

Nothing happens when you hit fifty, none of the content is locked out for you.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

1. You don't get locked out.
2. Go to Wayrest, spam LFG pledges there.
3. Fighter's/Mages'/Main quest stuff all scale to level, don't worry about losing exp there.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Man it's near impossible figuring out which class to play. I've been reading up and watching Youtubes, but since these classes look nothing like the normal RPG classes I just can't choose. Also, it seems like all classes have some sort of magic involved, even if you just want to hit poo poo with a 2-hander. I'm now leaning on Sorcerer with full magicka, since the class skills and the weapon skills use magicka. I feel like if I'd play a melee character I'd have to divide magicka and stamina/health more. Now I can just sort of focus on one. I think I'm just gonna recreate my WoW warlock.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Sioux posted:

Man it's near impossible figuring out which class to play. I've been reading up and watching Youtubes, but since these classes look nothing like the normal RPG classes I just can't choose. Also, it seems like all classes have some sort of magic involved, even if you just want to hit poo poo with a 2-hander. I'm now leaning on Sorcerer with full magicka, since the class skills and the weapon skills use magicka. I feel like if I'd play a melee character I'd have to divide magicka and stamina/health more. Now I can just sort of focus on one. I think I'm just gonna recreate my WoW warlock.

I don't think about this game in terms of classes. I think more in terms of roles. Roles are defined by resource management and skill aggregation. Aside from real min/max dynamics almost any "class" can play any role.

For a feel of end game Magicka Sorc focused on dps and 1 v many PvP you could watch a bit of King Richard's stream. For a dps Stam Sorc in the same meta FENGRUSH is a pretty good example you can reference. Both stream on twitch and have youtube vids.

You can make your Sorc a tank or healer as well though. Heck, it is possible for a Templar to tank and heal at the same time. I think DKs can be a bit more limited, but also think that will change again.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

In a surprising twist, Zenimax actually took the time to clear up the ruckus about the Mercenary motif and style material issues.

-Bronze Chests will drop a Motif Page 40% of the time, Silver Chests 50% of the time, Gold Chests 60% of the time
-The Laurel drop rate will be at an adjusted linear drop rate. 0% drop rate with 0 chapters learned, 50% drop rate with 1 chapter learned, and each additional chapter adds ~4% to the drop rate.

Pretty reasonable, and if they had given out this information initially there would have been a lot less panic in the streets overall.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Sioux posted:

hit poo poo with a 2-hander

While all of the class skills start out as magicka-based, many of them have a stamina morph. It's important as you're leveling to get all your new skills to the morph, so you can see what those morph choices are.

I've done endgame melee with all of the classes, and they all work just fine with nothing but the bare minimum in magicka. I do prefer to use purple (tri-stat) food on my templar instead of blue health/stam food, because it gives me an extra cast of breath of life. But otherwise, it's the least health you can get away with and everything else in stamina.

Also, if you're still interested in melee, I'd recommend a redguard or imperial sorcerer.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

If you last played at launch the game is much, much better now.

Don't lie to him, Dragonknights are a shadow of their former selves.

(RIP 0 cost Bat Swarm spam)

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Dragonknights are a shadow of their former selves.

RIP 4 standards out at once, too. Poor dragonknights.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XRE8gSk5k

I want this again.

Bring back Dynamic Ultimate Generation.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just bought this on Xbone for $20.. Does anyone actually play on Xbox? Is it a barren wasteland?

I don't really care, I largely just want to pretend it's a single player elder scrolls game. Hopefully it's a fun ride through the main line quest stuff.

I'm playing a wood elf stamina archer nightblade. I hope this is not too horrible. Do I need to put any points into HP? It hasn't been an issue so far.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
You probably won't have issues with HP during levels 1-50 (make sure to bring some +HP food for dungeons), but you'll want some HP when you get to VR levels. However there are multiple ways to hit the HP sweet spot such as putting +HP enchants on your gear and stuff. Personally I put about 20% of my points into HP and the rest into stamina, on my NB stam DPS guy. I still put a few HP enchants on one or two pieces just to make sure I can take a hit or three in max level dungeons.

If you're not sure, throw a few points in. Reallocating those points is easy and relatively cheap later on.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Per request, here's my Sap-Tank setup:

-Yes, I am still running v12 Engine Guardian
-The v14 stuff is getting upgraded to v16 eventually

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Substandard posted:

I just bought this on Xbone for $20.. Does anyone actually play on Xbox? Is it a barren wasteland?

I don't really care, I largely just want to pretend it's a single player elder scrolls game. Hopefully it's a fun ride through the main line quest stuff.

I'm playing a wood elf stamina archer nightblade. I hope this is not too horrible. Do I need to put any points into HP? It hasn't been an issue so far.

I just started playing on my little bastard bosmer again. I've put all attrib points into stamina but have two armour pieces enchanted with health (both with the infused trait, but they're small armour pieces). It doesn't seem too squishy so far

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
I think generally when you're a damage dealer (and maybe a tank as well, I dunno) your health is more like a reservoir than a supply because you want to have some self heals going on, so it's kind of how big your margin for error is. Nightblades in particular have powerful self heals all over the place

The problem with my hosed up stam dragonknight is I don't have a proper supply of self heals which are a side effect of dealing damage, whereas with the nightblade all I've gotta do is stab something (i.e. stack mark target and killer's blade) and I get half my max hp back

vug fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 21, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Stamina chat here. There's two things that get me in endgame PvE. First, there's being surrounded by a ridiculous number of easily killed adds that chip away at your health. Second, there's getting hit by some unavoidable (or avoidable and I suck) chunk of 18k+ damage.

Every class can fix the first problem with something like brawler, which scales its damage shield with the number of enemies it hits. Reaper's mark is also good at this, if in a more interactive way, and I use both on my nightblade.

The second problem needs two emergency heals to stack to 18k. Sorcerers have rally and surge. Templars have rally and breath of life/remembrance. Dragonknights have rally and green dragon blood (which is +12% healing received when it's up, so it's just all around good). Nightblades have rally and, since there's generally no adds around after the big hits, nothing. Hope your healer is on the ball!

That's why stamina nightblade is my least favorite PvE combo. It's great damage, but it's completely dependent on having a good healer or lucking out with engine guardian, and I don't want to be one of those guys always blaming the healer for my terrible build.

You're almost forced to use a bow so you can avoid many (but not all) of the big chunks of damage. But bow is significantly less damage than melee (rightfully so, given the decreased risk), so you're basically better off ignoring your racial passives and going magicka (same risk as bow, more damage).

Too bad everybody loves stamina nightblade in PvP, because it'll never see another PvE buff, and it really needs one.

e: Maybe all those stamina nightblades in PvP are just grinding AP to unlock vigor.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 22, 2015

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
you know what, the thing is i can solo the gently caress out of any world boss craglorn anything with my templar healer, but my stamina dd's can't dd their way out of a wet paper bag. im fairly sure the game system is unbalanced

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If you want to tell the devs to buff stamina damage dealers, I won't stop you.

On a related note, just 3-manned the molag bal simulacrum, and I'm sure we could have done it with two. It's a hard fight, but every emperor should be able to solo it, 2k champ points or not.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

If you want to tell the devs to buff stamina damage dealers, I won't stop you.

On a related note, just 3-manned the molag bal simulacrum, and I'm sure we could have done it with two. It's a hard fight, but every emperor should be able to solo it, 2k champ points or not.

There's been 2 emp-solos of the molag ballin simulation.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
So I'm playing a magicka destro-staff Altmer sorcerer and just got to level 10. It's fun, but I have a few questions:
  • Walking everywhere sucks rear end, but the mounts are so expensive. At what level do people normally have enough gold to buy one? I'm inclined to just buy one from the Crown store, having a mount would sure make my game experience more fun and spending some regular money on Crowns means I can use my gold in-game to buy other cool stuff. Does it matter which mount I buy in terms of speed or anything? I like the lion from the crown store or the WoW-Felsteed. Are they the same except for looks?
  • I've started putting all my attribute points in magicka and am not noticing I have too little health for anything. I still kick rear end. So I only have a few from the early levels in health. Is there any way I can reallocate all points to magicka?
  • As for talents, I'm just placing points in Altmer stuff and I have one skill in the Storm tree and then a few skills in the pet tree incl. the storm atronach. I morphed the pet into a Clannfear and am quite satisfied. I've read that at level 15 a second action bar unlocks, which I'm happy with because it gets repetitive using the same spells to kill enemies each time.
  • I have a few containers full of treasure maps from the Explorers Pack. They take up inventory space and I can't put them in the bank unless I guess I take out all individual maps. How do people solve this? Just by buying more bank space? 1K is a lot of gold for me and I don't know how many spaces that gets you. My bank is so full I'm just selling all provisioning stuff off to merchants, but I don't get much money out of it. Wish I had a house to dump everything in like Skyrim.
  • Is there a smarter way to sell mats? I've seen guild marketplaces but they look dead. I got invited in a small guild but I haven't actually interacted with them. Is there no large action house like in WoW?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
There's no difference between the various mounts, instead there is a per-character "riding skill" that you gradually increase once per day at the stables. A crown mount is fine if you want it to look a particular way, but otherwise you can sell all the gear you pick up and don't want and get enough gold for the cheapest horse by the end of the first zone (although get some space upgrades from the bag vendor first!). Whatever you do, be sure to go to Cyrodiil now that you're level 10 and do the quest there for rapid maneuver, which can be cast from your horse. Without rapid maneuver, a 0% speed horse is not much faster than walking.

To reallocate points, you need to go to the "capital" of your faction, which is located in the second zone. There'll be shrines there for reallocating skill points (morphs or all of them) as well as attribute points. The cost of reallocating is not too bad, as it scales with the number of points you've assigned.

You should probably have at least one skill from each of your class skill trees on your bar at all times, so that all of the skill trees level up (unlocking new skills and passives). Note that ultimates (which you get at skill rank 12) count for leveling purposes. It helps in your case because the first skills (clannfear, crystal shards, and mage's fury) are all strong early on, so they're worth the skill points.

Treasure maps give you a tiny amount of gold and a mediocre item leveled for the area, so you can just destroy them. You got the important bit which is being able to play whatever race you want.

There's no auction house, and you can join up to five guilds, so it's fairly easy to find a trade guild to vendor your stuff. That said, I don't think it's worth dealing with a trade guild until much later in the game. The later zones give you more gold, so it's better to play the game and get there, rather than to try to min-max your gold return on level 1-14 mats.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I can solo the IC Molag at V3. It's not hard at all.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Have you done so?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

JackBadass posted:

I can solo the IC Molag at V3. It's not hard at all.

Source?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

In a desperate attempt to get people to use the LFG tool, Zeni's added a damage bonus and damage reduction buff to groups who are formed with the tool. They will also get a loot bag at the end of dungeons just for bothering to use the tool.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Scyantific posted:

In a desperate attempt to get people to use the LFG tool, Zeni's added a damage bonus and damage reduction buff to groups who are formed with the tool. They will also get a loot bag at the end of dungeons just for bothering to use the tool.

:ughh: I swear to god once I finish the main story I'm done with this game.

bradybunch
Jun 14, 2006

Wow did this expacs ago and it was a good feature. You get less co-ordination with randoms instead of guildies and friends so it means more successful groups

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I'll do it later, I just don't feel like it now. It's no big deal, though. Pretty easy for me to kill him because I'm so great and stuff.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

Cool, that's a good thing.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mercury_Storm posted:

:ughh: I swear to god once I finish the main story I'm done with this game.

How exactly is this a bad thing?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Not sure, it seems like an effective way to get people to use the grouping tool and will probably cut down on the number of people spamming for groups in zone chat. The bonuses and such will probably be small, but still nice, and will make doing tough veteran dungeons with PUGs a little more doable.

WoW had implemented something very similar a while ago.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Gordong Dongbay posted:

How exactly is this a bad thing?

It's another one of those times where they just apply an awkwardly placed bandaid instead of fixing the actual problem, namely that the actual grouping tool is garbage which is why no one wanted to use it in the first place.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i made a new character a while ago (daggerfall covenant) and was reminded that the start of the game is one of the worst parts of it. the whole thing where you start in daggerfall and then choose to go off to these little islands doesn't make any sense. they applied that particular band aid at *launch* and have never fixed it properly. it's classic bad software project management symptoms

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

vug posted:

i made a new character a while ago (daggerfall covenant) and was reminded that the start of the game is one of the worst parts of it. the whole thing where you start in daggerfall and then choose to go off to these little islands doesn't make any sense. they applied that particular band aid at *launch* and have never fixed it properly. it's classic bad software project management symptoms

During the last round of open betas before launch people really seriously lost their poo poo that they had to do the starter islands instead of going straight to the mainland because it cut down on ~choice~ but Ive always thought it was kind of inelegant to do it the way they did and it just ends up with new players being underleveled because they don't know to go do the starter islands.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

During the last round of open betas before launch people really seriously lost their poo poo that they had to do the starter islands instead of going straight to the mainland because it cut down on ~choice~ but Ive always thought it was kind of inelegant to do it the way they did and it just ends up with new players being underleveled because they don't know to go do the starter islands.
It also doesn't help that there are NPCs that could (and still can) take you to the first 'proper' zone.
Typical case of listening to the vocal idiots, sadly. :v:

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Yup, this happened to me. I didn't even realize I'd missed all the stater island crap until, like, 2 weeks ago. Suddenly it all makes sense now. I remember complaining about being under-leveled and a bunch of people saying that they were the exact opposite and quickly outleveling the first zone. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

lord_daeloth posted:

Yup, this happened to me. I didn't even realize I'd missed all the stater island crap until, like, 2 weeks ago. Suddenly it all makes sense now. I remember complaining about being under-leveled and a bunch of people saying that they were the exact opposite and quickly outleveling the first zone. Oh well.

And it works fine for like, DC I think because it's kind of just whatever on the side but EP storyline can be really jarring without doing the starter stuff, or at least you miss out on a lot.

• Locked thread