Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Enjoying playing the State Trooper with his glorious mustache, magnificent hat, and :fuckoff: hammer so far. Wish he started with a handgun instead of that blunderbuss though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Dwarves and the State Trooper seem to share a good bit of role/weapon overlap. Which is good, because I need to get better with both of them since they seem like the least played but most useful characters and I suck with the rapier as stylish as it may be.

Dwarves have been carrying hard the last few maps I played.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Dwarves and the State Trooper seem to share a good bit of role/weapon overlap. Which is good, because I need to get better with both of them since they seem like the least played but most useful characters and I suck with the rapier as stylish as it may be.

Dwarves have been carrying hard the last few maps I played.

Each character shares at least one weapon with another class. Witch Hunter and Soldier have greatswords, Soldier and Dwarf have shields, etc. They might not be exactly identical, but they're close enough.

The dwarf even has Drakefire Pistols to mimic the Bright Wizard. One of my buddies got a pair (the bastard :argh: ) and I switched to the soldier for shielding so he could play with them. And now he won't switch back because they're so awesome. It took me a good few maps to adjust to how tall Kruber is in comparison! All the skaven look so tiny now.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Al Borland posted:

the orange one is apparently 20% :saddowns:

Welp, they really nerfed it since closed beta then.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
As a dwarf you just center your camera and ~headshot everything~ :chef:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Dwarf is amazing and I don't see how it isn't a choice between Gruber and trashpyre for the oddman out on nightmare+. Turns out being short is Pretty Good and drake fire pistols are way too drat strong.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i invoke a lovely meme in response to complaints about packmasters

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I live in bizarro world, because most of the elves I play with in pub games are relatively competent(there's the odd commando here and there), but I get millions of dwarves who are totally loving useless and charge off alone constantly and adamantly refuse to maintain anything approaching a tight group.

None of them ever understand how to use a shield properly, either.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 24, 2015

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I think the problem with pubbies in general is that they get too caught up on numbers and kills instead of working as a team to complete the mission. In games like L4D or payday you have guys that can switch between roles like manning the machine gun or herding hostages but here, each class is designed to do something different not to mention the weapon lay outs really change how the class is played.

Your shield and board guy should be holding choke points/taking damage while your mage aoes/elf snipes specials etc. I've noticed it so many times when some pubbie just rambos off and ends up eating all the health items to compensate or when someone feels like they need to keep pulling Stormvermin patrols.

They should really just make add more in highlighting the differences between the classes. Like when you click the elf, have a big message saying SNIPE SPECIALS and DON'T loving RUN OFF OR YOU WILL DIE HORRIBLY.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The elf isn't really about sniping specials, though, she's about killing hordes (in theory with the quickbow's attack speed except the quickbow is garbage, or else with the longbow's pierce). The specials killers are the soldier and dwarf with arquebuses.

What they really should do is have role descriptions on the weapons themselves since those are the big playstyle modifiers.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Does normal difficulty only give white quality weapons or have I just been unlucky so far? Also when is a good time to try hard mode? I just got the game and Im about level 4.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The finale is such a letdown. Maps were all good though outside the one grain one where theres clearly some issues with the AI director becuase half the time we had a rat ogre spawn during the intro pan in and then the other half of the time itd just throw three packs of storm vermin at us randomly.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Brasseye posted:

Does normal difficulty only give white quality weapons or have I just been unlucky so far? Also when is a good time to try hard mode? I just got the game and Im about level 4.
No, your rolls have just been crap. The chart on the right is what can drop, normal can have up to blues, hard and above oranges.

Hard if you're by yourself I'd probably wait until 10? Not because you can't do it, but because everyone else around then won't have the understanding of how to really do their role, and you can't afford as much random clan rat damage like you can ignore it in normal. I've been running friends at level 4 on hard no problem, but I'm also giving them instructions over voice and am an overpowered bright wizard.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The finale is such a letdown. Maps were all good though outside the one grain one where theres clearly some issues with the AI director becuase half the time we had a rat ogre spawn during the intro pan in and then the other half of the time itd just throw three packs of storm vermin at us randomly.

I thought the well defence map was really uninspired as well. The only reason I don't call it terrible is that it's nice for practicing your melee in a wide, open space. Pubs freak out if you don't all huddle up in a tiny room though.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Everyone is always talking about how amazing the handgun for the soldier is and I just tried it and it felt so trash compared to my repeater. Might just be because I have an orange repeater and just a blue handgun but the repeater feels better than the handgun in every way except it takes about twice as long to kill specials as you need to pump 3-5 shots into them instead of the 1 of the handgun. But the handgun doesn't seem to pierce like the repeater does and I can't just aim at a specials highlighted frame through a swarm of rats and just have my shots pierce the chaff rats and kill the specials. Having to pump a just a couple shots into specials to kill them still kills them crazy fast on such a rapid fire weapon

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Coolguye posted:

This is still processing as of the time of this post but I have that exact poo poo on tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcOrtutZ5k

I'm really glad that Wheat and Chaff is a straight gather mission because I remember the time the game pulled this crap on Supply and Demand and it was a real pisser. As it stands this dropped my jaw but it was loving hilarious.

Ahh, the rarely-seen Clan Eshin rat ogre. :haw:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LemonAIDS posted:

except it takes about twice as long to kill specials as you need to pump 3-5 shots into them instead of the 1 of the handgun

That's the thing, yeah. The handgun is good because it's a sniper rifle that will one-shot most specials with a single headshot. It's good for instantly taking out globadiers, ratlings and stormvermin on harder difficulties.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Yeah but the repeater does the same thing in a quick 3-5 shots and will kill them through a rat swarm too. The difference in kill time is basically nothing.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
GOt a luckstone gem! Only green but I got one! It goes nicely with my fish, and seems to pay off as it finally got me an upgrade for my Kruber rifle.! Lifesteal on my gun and on my sword now.

E:

I was curious and I looked at my hours played for l4D 2 and its 112,

my hours for Warhammer are already 40 :v:

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 24, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The AI director probably needs to be told not to throw things at you in the opening cutscene, but every video I see of people dying is because they're not delegating tasks properly. Last time I played we had a R'ogre spawn at the same time as three specials and a horde. The dwarf and the soldier alternated between tanking the r'ogre and hitting the swarm, the witch hunter was unloading into every rat in sight and the wizard was throwing bolts at specials.

Hell, it even threw a patrol at us midfight and the patrol was mostly dead from a combination of crossbow bolts/staff bolts/handgun rounds before it got to us.

Git gud I guess?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 24, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

LemonAIDS posted:

Yeah but the repeater does the same thing in a quick 3-5 shots and will kill them through a rat swarm too. The difference in kill time is basically nothing.

What? It takes significantly longer to fire off 4 shots from a repeater than it does 1 from a handgun. Not to mention the repeater is nowhere close to the pinpoint accuracy of the handgun.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Al Borland posted:

GOt a luckstone gem! Only green but I got one! It goes nicely with my fish, and seems to pay off as it finally got me an upgrade for my Kruber rifle.! Lifesteal on my gun and on my sword now.

E:

I was curious and I looked at my hours played for l4D 2 and its 112,

my hours for Warhammer are already 40 :v:

Is it actually effect anything?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The elf isn't really about sniping specials, though, she's about killing hordes (in theory with the quickbow's attack speed except the quickbow is garbage, or else with the longbow's pierce). The specials killers are the soldier and dwarf with arquebuses.

What they really should do is have role descriptions on the weapons themselves since those are the big playstyle modifiers.

I don't know. It obviously depends on your loadout and play style but given that the dwarf and the soldier are stuck in melee most of the time, I'd expect someone ranged like the elf to aim for the specials except for Stormvermin or at least call them out.

Either way, the game is more about playing to your character and weapon's strengths than trying to just wrack up the highest number of skaven kills which is why I think the pubbies here all seem terrible.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

What? It takes significantly longer to fire off 4 shots from a repeater than it does 1 from a handgun. Not to mention the repeater is nowhere close to the pinpoint accuracy of the handgun.

Not when you get a 40% spread reduction like my gun does :smuggo:

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

The repeater fires quite fast, doesn't kill specials much slower. And it's definitely accurate enough to deal with specials well before they get in range to be dangerous. I also find it better during hordes as you don't need a clear shot through the swarm. In a situation where It's just a special, yes the handgun is better but in a situation where there's tons of rats and a globadier or ratling gun shows up I will often shield push the clan rats away and kill them while the cross bow out handgun people are trying to line up s clear shot through the sea of rats

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

LemonAIDS posted:

Everyone is always talking about how amazing the handgun for the soldier is and I just tried it and it felt so trash compared to my repeater. Might just be because I have an orange repeater and just a blue handgun but the repeater feels better than the handgun in every way except it takes about twice as long to kill specials as you need to pump 3-5 shots into them instead of the 1 of the handgun. But the handgun doesn't seem to pierce like the repeater does and I can't just aim at a specials highlighted frame through a swarm of rats and just have my shots pierce the chaff rats and kill the specials. Having to pump a just a couple shots into specials to kill them still kills them crazy fast on such a rapid fire weapon

The main deal is that as a soldier you don't really need more horde killing power. Sword&Board is perfectly capable at clearing out trash, and the Zweihänder just makes them evaporate. The main advantage of the arquebus is that you can kill stuff immediately with a snapshot the moment they come into view. This allows you to take them down before they even have a chance to do any harm or to snipe them when your lines of sight are obscured and don't allow for a follow-up. This goes for ratlings and packmasters in particular, since they can be knocked out with just a bodyshot on hard, and I think maybe even on nightmare. You can also kill stormvermin in a single shot to the head, or if things are chaotic just blast them in the chest and they'll die to one hit from pretty much anything else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

I don't know. It obviously depends on your loadout and play style but given that the dwarf and the soldier are stuck in melee most of the time, I'd expect someone ranged like the elf to aim for the specials except for Stormvermin or at least call them out.

Either way, the game is more about playing to your character and weapon's strengths than trying to just wrack up the highest number of skaven kills which is why I think the pubbies here all seem terrible.

The elf isn't really a dedicated ranged character like a lot of people seem to think. She actually has some of the best melee in the game and can hold doorways nearly as well as a guy with a shield if you want her to. Dwarf(handgun/crossbow), soldier(handgun), hunter(crossbow), and bright wizard(bolt staff) are actually *all* better at quickly, reliably and efficiently removing specials and stormvermin from range because they can all do it in one shot while even a high powered longbow is going to take at least two in the head and the trueflight is unreliable. Where the elf excels is her versatility. Unlike a handgun/crossbow carrier, which gives up all horde-killing in exchange for special sniping, the longbow and trueflight are still really good at mowing down bunches of clanrats.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Kirs posted:

Is it actually effect anything?

I'd like to believe it effects the amount of items you can find.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

The repeater is still amazing at trivializing specials though and also gives you a great ranged alternative to killing clan rats and the natural piercing on the repeater lets you not need to position yourself if rats are in the way. You're not sacrificing much single target killing power at all for a lot of other stuff

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LemonAIDS posted:

The repeater is still amazing at trivializing specials though and also gives you a great ranged alternative to killing clan rats and the natural piercing on the repeater lets you not need to position yourself if rats are in the way. You're not sacrificing much single target killing power at all for a lot of other stuff

The repeater's damage output is poor below exotic quality and it also hoovers through ammo like mad while the handguns are the most ammo-efficient weapons in the game, so there's that to consider. It's definitely a legit alternative if you've got a really good one and are finding that it's working for you, it's just that the handgun is so highly praised because you can pick up a white handgun and reliably oneshot specials at any range with pinpoint accuracy on Nightmare while never needing an ammo pickup.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Kanos posted:

The elf ... actually has some of the best melee in the game and can hold doorways nearly as well as a guy with a shield if you want her to.

Elaborate? I play the elf in my group of local friends since nobody else is interested and while I like the longsword+longbow loadout so far, it feels like I could be doing much better than I am.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

LemonAIDS posted:

jeez why dont you just marry the drat thing

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sushibandit posted:

Elaborate? I play the elf in my group of local friends since nobody else is interested and while I like the longsword+longbow loadout so far, it feels like I could be doing much better than I am.

Dual swords are one of the only weapons in the game to not have a stab or overhead attack in their normal combo chain, they simply sweep side to side constantly in huge arcs, which means they can lock large groups of skaven in the pain reaction animation basically endlessly until they're dead whereas other weapons will leave gaps that will cause you to get hit. They also have decent stamina(6 blocks' worth before guard break baseline), which means they can block in a pinch to buy time without instantly staggering you.

They pay for this by being dog balls for fighting stormvermin, but you have a bow for that.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I was one dice away from getting blue drakefire pistols. ONE. And it wasn't one short, either. It was one too many. :argh:

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Good Citizen posted:

jeez why dont you just marry the drat thing

If only I could. I'm probably just biased as I've only used my orange repeater.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Trier posted:

I was one dice away from getting blue drakefire pistols. ONE. And it wasn't one short, either. It was one too many. :argh:

Guess what I got this morning? :getin:

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
And that's only the second time I've even seen them on the loot table at all :tbear:

Edit: more :tbear:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Trier posted:

And that's only the second time I've even seen them on the loot table at all :tbear:

Don't worry, friend. I'm like level 37 and am still using white weapons on multiple characters.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Kanos posted:

Don't worry, friend. I'm like level 37 and am still using white weapons on multiple characters.

I been pretty lucky with rolls but I just really want drakefire pistols so I can actually used my ranged stuff instead of just carrying around this dumb musket and doing pest control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

LemonAIDS posted:

If only I could. I'm probably just biased as I've only used my orange repeater.

Every repeater pistol I've tried, including exotics, feels like it can't even kill normal rats without 3-4 rounds, either to having terrible accuracy or awful damage. Everyone I play with has the same opinion.

• Locked thread