Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

bull3964 posted:

Make sure your play music queue is clear.

Ok I've cleared it, will see how it goes next drive. Weird that it was picking that track since I never added it to the queue, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Your problem there was assuming it had hung, wiping the cache via recovery on lollipop takes for ever, 10 to 15 mins some times.

Not much help now but just so you know for next time

Marshmallow seems like it takes about twice as long. I think it took my Nexus 5 with 82 apps about twenty minutes versus the ten or so in Lollipop.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Did anyone ever figure out if wiping the cache in recovery does anything different from doing it within the settings menu?

Cos that takes seconds

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Anyone with a Nexus 6 having camera problems since updating to 6.0? Mine has started stuttering and crashing often, as well as that "cannot connect to camera error". All of this goes away for a bit when I manually close the Camera app, then comes back later :(

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I spent months waiting for the 5X to be announced knowing it would be the phone I want to buy, and then they made the price in Europe totally stupid and uncompetitive (480 EUR..., which is what a new Galaxy S6 runs for new and unlocked on Amazon).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There certainly seem a lot of differences in the plugs and the force required to plug them into the USB-C port of the 5X. Some brand cable with gold contacts and that bullshit requires more force than I'm comfortable with, where as the off-brand one I received today just needs a little more than what a Micro-USB one needs, feeling actually right.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

iajanus posted:

Weird issue. I listen to podcasts via Bluetooth on my car stereo on the way to work but for some reason for weeks at a time my Z1 decides when I first connect it automatically to start playing a random Google Music track (at the moment it's trying to play the first bit of a Hemingway audiobook).

Any way to tell the phone not to start google Music when it notices it's connected to Bluetooth?

I've been having the same issue with Poweramp even with having it set to do not resume with Bluetooth. This is on a Pure style X.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I use Chrome to view gifv and webm files, pretty much exclusively from the Awful app. Recently, I've noticed that two identical tabs get opened. Is this a Chrome issue or an Awful issue?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone have an issue with double notifications from Whatsapp via Lightflow on Marshmallow?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Got my ice blue 5X last night, I've not held the white one but for anyone wondering the blue is basically a hard plastic without any kind of rubberized coating at all. Feels kinda slippery in my hand. Definitely going to need a case for this so I don't feel like I'll drop it while holding it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Same for the white. I have one. It's the "egg-shell" type of back. It'll become less slippy with use, because an invisible layer of body gunk will build up eventually.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I have been having problems with my LG G3, recently it has been very laggy? Like when I type something it freezes then all the words come out at once, or when I open a text message it has a 5 second delay. This problem has only happened recently too which is weird. Any suggestions, this is an unrooted phone on 5.01 btw.

Metallian
May 29, 2003

Today when i woke my moto x 2014 was off and unresponsive. I forced a reboot and it has been in a reboot cycle ever since. I can get into recovery, and have tried more than once to delete the cache, and even perform a wipe, but these processes fail and i am presented with an odd screen where the "android in distress" flashes on and off very briefly in a loop.

When in recovery, i have several messages telling me e: can't open cache /recovery/log, /last_install, /last_kmsg.

I have chatted online with motorola support and it was as much help as you can imagine. They suggest replacing it. I would like to avoid this if possible.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

Make sure your play music queue is clear.

iajanus posted:

Ok I've cleared it, will see how it goes next drive. Weird that it was picking that track since I never added it to the queue, though.

I was looking for the same answer, and I also never added the song it was starting to play to my queue either. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it wrong with to want a stylus for my Nexus 6? :v:

Just showed my mother the Boost Mobile phones and she's falling or the LG G Stylo. That drat stylus was actually kind of nice and since I'm an artist, could be nice. :v

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Metallian posted:

Today when i woke my moto x 2014 was off and unresponsive. I forced a reboot and it has been in a reboot cycle ever since. I can get into recovery, and have tried more than once to delete the cache, and even perform a wipe, but these processes fail and i am presented with an odd screen where the "android in distress" flashes on and off very briefly in a loop.

When in recovery, i have several messages telling me e: can't open cache /recovery/log, /last_install, /last_kmsg.

I have chatted online with motorola support and it was as much help as you can imagine. They suggest replacing it. I would like to avoid this if possible.

Unless this is the unlocked variety where you can reload the OS yourself I don't see where you have a choice here.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So today I set up my Nexus 5 X and started the process to transfer my number from AT&T. Shortly after starting up the phone and setting up my fingerprint/email account/etc., I got an e-mail saying "Your service is activated." I understand that this means I'm up and running with Project Fi in so far as my billing will start, but I should expect some subsequent, different e-mail to let me know my cell number has transferred from AT&T right?

The Project Fi support page says "You’ll get a notification on your Project Fi phone when your transfer is finished." That notification is something different from the e-mail that told me my service is activated, right?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cable posted:

I spent months waiting for the 5X to be announced knowing it would be the phone I want to buy, and then they made the price in Europe totally stupid and uncompetitive (480 EUR..., which is what a new Galaxy S6 runs for new and unlocked on Amazon).

Really, so cheap? It's 580€ in Finland, more expensive than a S6.

Edit: I remembered wrong and actually it is "only" 480. Time to wait for discounts.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 24, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So yeah, since I'm back on Android again, I resubbed to Play Music. Just to find out that these brilliant morons over at Google did another exemplary job of decision making by removing the loving Explore tab in it. Can't filter and discover by genre anymore. Jesus H. Christ. :psypop:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Combat Pretzel posted:

So yeah, since I'm back on Android again, I resubbed to Play Music. Just to find out that these brilliant morons over at Google did another exemplary job of decision making by removing the loving Explore tab in it. Can't filter and discover by genre anymore. Jesus H. Christ. :psypop:

Is the genre tab under Browse Stations what you're looking for? You can also filter by genre under Top Charts and New Releases.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 24, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Super Dude posted:

Is the genre tab under Browse Stations what you're looking for? You can also filter by genre under Top Charts and New Releases.
You see, I live in a country that is not the United States of America, and as such the sections you mention are pretty barren.

--edit: In cleartext, none of the sections you mention let me chose any genre at all. They just list a bunch of songs and albums, respectively, and that's it. I have a total on ten radio stations, nothing I want to listen to.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are the new Nexus' available in physical stores or online order only? I'd like to try holding them with my tiny baby hands first

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Combat Pretzel posted:

You see, I live in a country that is not the United States of America, and as such the sections you mention are pretty barren.

--edit: In cleartext, none of the sections you mention let me chose any genre at all. They just list a bunch of songs and albums, respectively, and that's it. I have a total on ten radio stations, nothing I want to listen to.

Why don't you just switch back to whatever service you were using before? What country do you live in?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Dumb question, I came from an iPhone and when I would try to type something into the chrome address bar I would get a ".com" and "/" button shortcut. I moved over to the Nexus 5x and those button shortcuts don't exist. Is there something I'm missing in the settings to add this feature? The shortcuts also exist on my Nexus 9 and I didn't do anything special to that. Am I just being stupid?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Super Dude posted:

Why don't you just switch back to whatever service you were using before? What country do you live in?
I'm in Belgium and was using Spotify out of a necessity (had a WinPho). It doesn't behave as I'd like with Bluetooth devices, notably my car, thus the switch back to GPM. While the impaired discovery options (more like missing) are not a back breaker, hiding a bunch of genre filter options behind regional locks is a loving stupid idea. I don't even get the idea behind this.

Well, I found a Dance/Electronic radio station hiding between my stuff on the Listen Now page, I suppose it's because I chose a bunch of that stuff when resubbing. However it's littered solely with big name artists, not really helping.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 24, 2015

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

horchata posted:

Dumb question, I came from an iPhone and when I would try to type something into the chrome address bar I would get a ".com" and "/" button shortcut. I moved over to the Nexus 5x and those button shortcuts don't exist. Is there something I'm missing in the settings to add this feature? The shortcuts also exist on my Nexus 9 and I didn't do anything special to that. Am I just being stupid?

What keyboard are you using? Might be using a different one on the Nexus 9.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Google keyboard for both. Also tried Fleksy on my 5x and I don't have the shortcuts on it either.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

kensei posted:

I was looking for the same answer, and I also never added the song it was starting to play to my queue either. Thanks!

Didn't work, it still starts every time it connects to my car.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not in the USA either, and the stations tab definitely has genres, sorry for your loss.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone got a 6ft or 2 meter usb-c to usb-c cable? The one that came with the 5x is just too short. I haven't been able to find one not shipping from China. They seem to be shorter or usb-a to usb-c cables available.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone got a 6ft or 2 meter usb-c to usb-c cable? The one that came with the 5x is just too short. I haven't been able to find one not shipping from China. They seem to be shorter or usb-a to usb-c cables available.

Amazon has a few on prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/TechMatte-Mac...=usb-c+to+usb-c

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%C2%AE-Type-USB-C-Black/dp/B00WAKL6I8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1445749776&sr=8-4&keywords=usb-c+to+usb-c

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Red Warrior posted:

And they are going to send me a replacement once they have them with the microphone cutout. Nice.

Fuuuuuk, what's wrong with the Diztronic cases? Looking on the Google product page, at a picture with the charging cable plugged in. I see the charging port obviously, and the headphone port. The diztronic cases have cutouts for those. And there's a tiny hole in the middle, which the Diztronic case doesn't have a spot for. Is that the third microphone? And based on the location that's the one for actually talking into?

So I guess I should email them too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanks, I did see the Cable Matters one, but I was thinking its only USB 2.0, shouldn't I have 3.1? But the 5x is only 2.0 so I guess it doesn't matter.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm in Belgium and was using Spotify out of a necessity (had a WinPho). It doesn't behave as I'd like with Bluetooth devices, notably my car, thus the switch back to GPM. While the impaired discovery options (more like missing) are not a back breaker, hiding a bunch of genre filter options behind regional locks is a loving stupid idea. I don't even get the idea behind this.

Well, I found a Dance/Electronic radio station hiding between my stuff on the Listen Now page, I suppose it's because I chose a bunch of that stuff when resubbing. However it's littered solely with big name artists, not really helping.

You can try searching for the name of your desired genre under Browse Stations. Also, at least for me, once you've listened to a couple songs by artists you actually like you'll start getting loads of related suggestions. And the suggestions so far have been better/more varied for me than they were on Spotify (seriously gently caress Spotify's radio algorithm, where disliking an artist/song every time it comes on does absolutely nothing).

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

DOOP posted:

Are the new Nexus' available in physical stores or online order only? I'd like to try holding them with my tiny baby hands first

For now it's online only.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FISHMANPET posted:

Fuuuuuk, what's wrong with the Diztronic cases? Looking on the Google product page, at a picture with the charging cable plugged in. I see the charging port obviously, and the headphone port. The diztronic cases have cutouts for those. And there's a tiny hole in the middle, which the Diztronic case doesn't have a spot for. Is that the third microphone? And based on the location that's the one for actually talking into?

So I guess I should email them too.

Yeah that's between the USB and headphone port. Email them direct or reply to the Amazon marketplace email they sent they'll take care of you. Think I'm going to try drilling my own hole there in the meantime.

FogHelmut posted:

Thanks, I did see the Cable Matters one, but I was thinking its only USB 2.0, shouldn't I have 3.1? But the 5x is only 2.0 so I guess it doesn't matter.

Correct 2.0 is all you need for the new Nexuses. I have the 3ft Cable Matters cables seem good so far, fit with less force than the LG cable requires.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 25, 2015

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I preordered my 6P on 10/8 after being indecisive for a week about leaving Verizon for Project Fi. My order still has an expected ship window of November 12-16 but I just noticed that my order is now Pending. I still don't really expect it to ship sooner than November, though.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Ohvee posted:

I preordered my 6P on 10/8 after being indecisive for a week about leaving Verizon for Project Fi. My order still has an expected ship window of November 12-16 but I just noticed that my order is now Pending. I still don't really expect it to ship sooner than November, though.

Everyone's is "pending". The action starts when your card gets charged.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So a friend is asking me about the OnePlus Two (the phone, not the company) and I remember reading about how terrible it was but I couldn't exactly articulate why. What's wrong with the OPT?

No NFC? I literally have never used NFC in my life and I don't know anybody who has. Maybe I haven't been hanging out with the right people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

So a friend is asking me about the OnePlus Two (the phone, not the company) and I remember reading about how terrible it was but I couldn't exactly articulate why. What's wrong with the OPT?

No NFC? I literally have never used NFC in my life and I don't know anybody who has. Maybe I haven't been hanging out with the right people.

How are you supposed to pirate and emulate all of your Nintendo(R) AmiiboTM without HCE and NFC?