Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Clippers can't dock at outposts. Probably their only drawback. :frontear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I didn't think about that so now I'm logged out beneath an outpost because I done misclicked trying to find a Hostile system and now I'm

somewhere

Thank god I remembered a fuel scoop

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I got a python but I wish I'd just got clipper A shields because its so slooooow

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Clippers can't dock at outposts. Probably their only drawback. :frontear:

The Type-7 needing a large pad is the most infuriating goddamn thing

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bolow posted:

The Type-7 needing a large pad is the most infuriating goddamn thing

And that's only because they made it too tall. Lakon, noted transportation ship producer, made a cargo ship that can't dock at outposts that isn't actually all that big. Seems like a committee bungle more than anything.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody know of a good Empire system to work in? Most of them are giving me pissy smuggling missions and crappy bounties...

Also! Let's just hypothetically say that you're attempting to land somewhere and you're a moron. If you somehow manage to get your ship stuck in the station, don't panic! Cos the game will eventually reverse your dumb rear end out of trouble.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
why did i do this :negative:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I started playing this yesterday and it is all very overwhelming. However, I have never had such a huge smile on my face from a game as the firs time I went through the startup and landing training with my new HOTAS.
I just managed to kinda understand the basics of trading and how to die. (I had to self destruct because fuel ran out in a system without a base...stupid.)

Question: I had a mission to recover an ancient artifact, which is elicit cargo. I returned it to Lawson outpost. Even though it said "illegal on lawson" in the description, nothing happened. How can I determine whether I will be scanned or not when it try to land somewhere? And if I want to smuggle something in, how do I do it?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Only cop ships scan, bases actually don't give a poo poo about you or your cargo. When you get in good with any faction cops show up green on radar

Beyond that you can usually not care if you line up with the slot about 7-8 km out and just go straight and request docking. Scans take a number of seconds and once you're inside you can't be scanned.

And at worse you get a small fine for your cargo, way less than a mission payout, and you have absolutely no reason to pay it as nothing happens.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

3 posted:

Because you're a man of distinguished taste?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Gold Anaconda skin is cool and all but it kinda annoys me that it's the first Anaconda skin when I really just want to paint mine either purple or pink. Like why can't it have the same generic tactical/vibrant colour packs that the other ships have? :reject:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Insert name here posted:

Gold Anaconda skin is cool and all but it kinda annoys me that it's the first Anaconda skin when I really just want to paint mine either purple or pink. Like why can't it have the same generic tactical/vibrant colour packs that the other ships have? :reject:

Where's my zebra stripe? Or national flags with crying eagle livery? :911:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Because you're a man of distinguished taste?

The Trump-Delacey Donaldconda is the yoogest, classiest, most luxurious starship in the cosmos.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

3 posted:

Looks good tho mang

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

cobalt impurity posted:

Where's my zebra stripe? Or national flags with crying eagle livery? :911:

If they made dazzle camo for every ship I would be much happier with whatever fun they ruin for me elsewhere.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want some of those themes they have for ships on other ships... like nationality flags.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

An FAS build for folks who want a break from the iClip:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/26A6A5A5D6A4A4C0u0u2727000l04044a045e6g242f.Iw18cQ==.Aw19gjJxA===

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Met posted:

It's going to cost more than 50mil to equip it out.
Not for hauling, you can fit that for ~30mil non-discounted.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The real crime is that gold skins are not available for Gutamaya ships or the Orca. If any ship deserves to look like it is flown by a Sheik with more money than sense, it is those.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Finally after a long-rear end time I have found the Milky Way's brown eye

Ignore the spiderweb of cracks on the canopy, I am. :ohdear:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

orange juche posted:

I'm making this trip now. How long did it take? Every time I feel I've travelled some distance, I zoom out and it looks like I haven't moved.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I'm making this trip now. How long did it take? Every time I feel I've travelled some distance, I zoom out and it looks like I haven't moved.

It takes ~12-18 hours of flight time at a steady pace, 9 hours if you're moving at a breakneck speed. Of course that's only counting time you're not faffing about doing other poo poo, it took me 5 days 3 hours 44 mins 40 seconds to complete the trip, due to work and other poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

It takes ~12-18 hours of flight time at a steady pace, 9 hours if you're moving at a breakneck speed. Of course that's only counting time you're not faffing about doing other poo poo, it took me 5 days 3 hours 44 mins 40 seconds to complete the trip, due to work and other poo poo.

:psyduck: I always feel so lazy when people do this poo poo in a couple days. It took me 7 weeks to cross half the distance when I travelled to the galactic edge. And this is counting only the time I was actually playing steadily.

Even if I could force myself to stop everything except jumping, it still would take me at least 30 hours, 60 is more likely. That's still about two weeks to the center of the galaxy if you have other stuff besides Elite to do.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

:psyduck: I always feel so lazy when people do this poo poo in a couple days. It took me 7 weeks to cross half the distance when I travelled to the galactic edge. And this is counting only the time I was actually playing steadily.

Even if I could force myself to stop everything except jumping, it still would take me at least 30 hours, 60 is more likely. That's still about two weeks to the center of the galaxy if you have other stuff besides Elite to do.

I still stopped and honked at lots of poo poo, and scanned more terraformables than i could count and a handful of earthlikes too. My return trip is going to be considerably slower, probably taking the better part of a month, i'll probably get back around the same time Horizons drops.

E: Im gonna include some pics I took on the trip.

A binary pair that was <1 ls apart, the lithium dwarf was almost entirely inside the crash line of the larger star, it's impossible to fly between the two.

Some rock ring I dropped into on the way to the core, no idea where, but pretty nonetheless.

Yay more binaries, and you can actually fly between these two.

A small, crispy, ringed planet that is orbiting very close to its B-class star.

Love can bloom even when two ships are caught on the edge of the largest gravitational singularity in the galaxy.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 24, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Don't. I started my trip out into the void back in the start of August, and I only reached Sag A* a couple of days ago. The biggest commitment to make is accepting that the next 20-30 hours you spend playing Elite, ignoring CQC, will consist entirely of jumping from system to system, punctuated by refueling and maybe taking pretty screenshots.

Also, always buy A-rated scoops. Even if you figure you'll just go a few thousand lightyears out from Sol to test the waters.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Got a question here about CZs:

I want to increase my standing with the Federation. I just found a conflict zone featuring two parties both affiliated with the Federation. If I choose to blow up one Federation-affiliated ship on behalf of an opposing Federation-affiliated ship, will my net Federal standings change be negative? Does it affect it at all? Also, if I get a bulletin board mission to kill civilians, can I satisfy that in a conflict zone featuring an independent faction?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slashrat posted:

Don't. I started my trip out into the void back in the start of August, and I only reached Sag A* a couple of days ago. The biggest commitment to make is accepting that the next 20-30 hours you spend playing Elite, ignoring CQC, will consist entirely of jumping from system to system, punctuated by refueling and maybe taking pretty screenshots.

Also, always buy A-rated scoops. Even if you figure you'll just go a few thousand lightyears out from Sol to test the waters.

This reminds me, I had some big fight long ago on the official forums because I was of the opinion A-scoops are a waste of money if your B-scoop is already large enough. I don't want another fight so I won't recount all my arguments here, but I personally disagree. Sometimes B is enough.

And yeah, I learned the hard way I'm not of the right temperament for fast travel like Orange Juche does it. Back when I travelled to the Taurus Pulsar, I thought when coming back "6k light years? I should be able to do this in 7 hours, two days tops!". Nearly burned me out and it still took me 9 hours for 5k light years. :shepface:

I prefer the slower way, on some days I even only play CQC!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Any tips on optimising my Vulture?
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5B4A3E5B4C3C1e1e0m0505-4b6o2o00-.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYEYx6dMQ===

I'm debating tossing Military Composite on it, it'll only drop my jump range by 0.60LY to 13.58.

Also, should I just go ahead and get rid of my gimballed pulses and stick fixed on for the damage boost/reduced power draw?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

This reminds me, I had some big fight long ago on the official forums because I was of the opinion A-scoops are a waste of money if your B-scoop is already large enough. I don't want another fight so I won't recount all my arguments here, but I personally disagree. Sometimes B is enough.

And yeah, I learned the hard way I'm not of the right temperament for fast travel like Orange Juche does it. Back when I travelled to the Taurus Pulsar, I thought when coming back "6k light years? I should be able to do this in 7 hours, two days tops!". Nearly burned me out and it still took me 9 hours for 5k light years. :shepface:

Oh no, I definitely felt the siren song of burnout calling, and it took all my energy to reach Sag A*, as it was I loitered there for about 14 hours just sitting, and then jumped about 200 ly up above Sag A* and logged out, due to not really wanting to continue going anywhere right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

orange juche posted:

I have yet to come across a single black hole. Anywhere. And I've had it since beta.

:saddowns:

Although I haven't been looking either so

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

I have yet to come across a single black hole. Anywhere. And I've had it since beta.

:saddowns:

Although I haven't been looking either so

Maia B is the closest one. Black holes are extremely rare, and they're worth the trip to go see.

Maia is about 450 LY from Goat Space, so you can go there and be back in about 30 minutes, and if you check around and scan all the things that short little jaunt is worth about a million credits with an Advanced Discovery Scanner and a Detailed Surface Scanner.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I went to the black hole at maia and it was pretty cool, made a decent amount of cash on the exploration. I didn't find a single system that hadn't been found before but it was OK money with an intermediate scanner and detailed surface scanner.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Libluini posted:

6B scoop is a pro choice a lot of the time because it is so much cheaper than the 6A and almost as fast.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Sard posted:

Got a question here about CZs:

I want to increase my standing with the Federation. I just found a conflict zone featuring two parties both affiliated with the Federation. If I choose to blow up one Federation-affiliated ship on behalf of an opposing Federation-affiliated ship, will my net Federal standings change be negative? Does it affect it at all? Also, if I get a bulletin board mission to kill civilians, can I satisfy that in a conflict zone featuring an independent faction?

Your federation rank never goes down, but your standing can. So you can go from allied to neutral but still get naval progression missions. I'm pretty sure getting involved in a fed vs fed battle will lower your standing. Of course running a few missions would just raise it back up. I don't think independents in CZs count as civilians.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Any suggestions to make this Vulture more fighty?
http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5B4A3E5B4C3C1e1e0m0505-4b6o2o00-.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYEYx6dMQ===

Also, what's a good loadout for the iClip, I just grabbed one at Tabaldak.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Hexenritter posted:

Any tips on optimising my Vulture?

I'm debating tossing Military Composite on it, it'll only drop my jump range by 0.60LY to 13.58.

Also, should I just go ahead and get rid of my gimballed pulses and stick fixed on for the damage boost/reduced power draw?

Always gimbal

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Getting an A rated power distributor is the first job on any ship. Some chaff is also always a good investment.

Fixed weapons can work on a vulture. Go with whatever you're most comfortable using.

edit: also, if you knock the fuel scoop's priority down, you can wring out a bit more power.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 24, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PvE fighty? You shouldn't really use B or C unless you're trying to be really economical at the expense of weight and power.

NEVER use E. D is lighter.

The Vulture doesn't need all the extra shield stuff, but I did upgrade your shield from a B to an A. The Vulture's defense is it's mobility. Lateral thrust around your targets while you laser them apart. Feel free to use whatever bulkheads you want. Lighter has more mobility.

Added Chaff.

Added a Advanced Discovery Scanner to your empty internal. If I'm doing missions I like to see the entire system that I'm in. It's not necessary though. Add more Cargo or something if you prefer.

Gave you a size 4 cargo container and put your interdictor in the size 1.

Toss a heat sink or two in one of those empty utilities if you want to smuggle or confuse missiles. Might have to turn off the cargo hatch module though.

This build is mainly for mission running. If that's not what you're looking for we can figure something else for you.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/14A5A4A3D5A4D3C1e1e0m00--4a032o662f.Iw19kA==.MwBhCYylgRigLEkQ

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 24, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So I happened upon a signal source that was 2 wanted viper and 3 security vessels. Naturally I helped out so they would be able to kill the bad men. With surrenders laser I barely made a dent but turns out I got the full bounty for both. 35k on one and a most 120k on the other. I immediately doubled my funds. I now have 320k and want to buy a cobra I guess. How do insure my ship? Or does insure just mean "have 5% of total value in your purse at all times to buy back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Insurance is automatic

• Locked thread