Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the barriers to entry for raids? Mastery levels? We won't need to have agony infusion or whatever, will we

Supposedly there's no attunement, so there shouldn't strictly be any barrier to entry beyond being level 80 and having people who'll take you (and probably exotic gear at minimum). At least one boss definitely requires you to use a mastery during the fight (gliding), though.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I saw that the expansion dropped and thought about coming back to try it out after like 2 years of not playing, but is there really no way to buy it without rebuying the core game in a bundle? :psyduck:

I have a very hard time believing any expansion is worth $50, and reading the last couple pages makes it sound like it's...kind of poo poo. Is there any talk of creating some way to purchase the standalone expansion? I had enough fun with the base game that I'd drop $25 on an expansion that added fun content, but I don't think I could bring myself to pay double that price for the privilege of having a second copy of a game I already bought.

The base game is now free, so yes, they're charging $50 straight-out for the expansion.

As for whether the expansion is poo poo... well, it looks like they added a lot of fun new content, then gated it behind a bunch of the grindy poo poo people didn't like in the first place.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
That first time you go back to an old zone and try to glide down of a high drop.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

ShadowMar posted:

nope

also the core game is F2P now anyways

You can find HoT for much cheaper, though. I bought it for $33 yesterday. It was $25 way back through GMG but they don't sell to Brazilians so I figured I would wait.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 24, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Azazell0 posted:

Anyone found where the bladed coat can be bought yet? It's so hilariously stupid I need it.

I know I saw it on one of the merchants in the new zone, one of the ones I can't buy from due to masteries but can see what they have.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Harrow posted:

Supposedly there's no attunement, so there shouldn't strictly be any barrier to entry beyond being level 80 and having people who'll take you (and probably exotic gear at minimum). At least one boss definitely requires you to use a mastery during the fight (gliding), though.

The base game is now free, so yes, they're charging $50 straight-out for the expansion.

As for whether the expansion is poo poo... well, it looks like they added a lot of fun new content, then gated it behind a bunch of the grindy poo poo people didn't like in the first place.

Ah, I guess that pricing makes slightly more sense, though it's kind of a kick in the nuts for anyone that actually had to buy the base game. You'd think they could whip up some easy "veteran" upgrade where if you bought / played it before it went F2P, you could get the expansion at a discount or something.

Ah well, between the price and the grindy stuff, sounds like I'm not missing out on anything. Thanks for the quick response!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ah, I guess that pricing makes slightly more sense, though it's kind of a kick in the nuts for anyone that actually had to buy the base game. You'd think they could whip up some easy "veteran" upgrade where if you bought / played it before it went F2P, you could get the expansion at a discount or something.

Ah well, between the price and the grindy stuff, sounds like I'm not missing out on anything. Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, I agree that it would've been nice to have a reduced price for HoT if you'd already purchased the base game. People definitely raised a huge stink about it when it was announced and then I guess we all just kind of swallowed it anyway (myself included).

I'm personally not very motivated to play the expansion until either a) we figure out fast ways to take care of the grindy parts or b) ArenaNet eases back on the grindy parts. We'll see! :v:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Yea this was a whole big "thing" back when they put HoT up for sale. Their compromise was giving you an extra character slot if you bought Core before a certain date.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They added one extra character slot for veterans basically because people complained. It wasn't included in the original release plan.

Personally it makes no difference because I'm at the spot I can't find any meaning on creating new characters. I have my main and one each of the other 4 races, who won't see much play anyway besides crafting (and I have all disciples covered.) I've been eager for them to add Tengu as a playable race, but it won't probably happen in years, if ever.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I've decided, thanks to Verdant Brink, to name this game Jumping Puzzles Online, where I jump to unlock mastery points so I can unlock the ability to jump higher so I can unlock mastery points so I can jump farther.

Also, wyverns with frickin' laser beams is a thing.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Time to make a positive post! Chronomancer is hella fun and Chronophantasma/alacrity brings back shatter burst in a big way. That is great news for me because I loving love shatter mesmer.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
So is revenant! It's everything I hoped for and more. I'm having a blast running around making GBS threads conditions out right and left. Can't wait to unlock Herald for that sweet sweet perma swiftness and self might stacks for world completion!

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Because I can.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Time to make a positive post! Chronomancer is hella fun and Chronophantasma/alacrity brings back shatter burst in a big way. That is great news for me because I loving love shatter mesmer.

Yeah, Chronomancer is fantastic. It's just so stupid fun and good.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

forkbucket posted:

So is revenant! It's everything I hoped for and more. I'm having a blast running around making GBS threads conditions out right and left. Can't wait to unlock Herald for that sweet sweet perma swiftness and self might stacks for world completion!

What build are you using? Plan to start mine later today.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It seems like apart from the stupid grindy poo poo, people like it? I know PvP people who aren't grinding masteries are enjoying the elite specs and revenant, and most of the complaints are about said grinding rather than the content itself. I've heard nice things about the story too.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MooCowlian posted:

It seems like apart from the stupid grindy poo poo, people like it? I know PvP people who aren't grinding masteries are enjoying the elite specs and revenant, and most of the complaints are about said grinding rather than the content itself. I've heard nice things about the story too.

the new borderlands is the only negative thing I hear from the new content, I hear mix reactions from even the top servers. but we won't know fully until tonight.

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax

MooCowlian posted:

Story is good and they've got actually good cutscenes (using the in-game engine, like WoW, but still better than the talking panels of the base game) along with running companion dialog. The new adventures are very fun and good challenges, and the new content with gliding is also very fun (I don't like having to grind to use what I consider to be things that I shouldn't have to grind for (mushrooms, glider abilities) but I understand the need for said grind to keep people occupied and happy long-term).

The only real complaint I could have is that Verdant Brink is a real pain in the rear end mob-wise at night time when the map really doesn't have the player numbers to sustain all the invasions. Other than that very minor quibble, Heart of Thorns has vastly improved Guild Wars 2.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
After dozens of crashes with the patcher, I had a hunch and decided to throttle the download rate of the patcher to 100kb and it works. Unfortunately, this means I'll be done downloading HoT proper by...oh, I dunno, Sunday. :negative:

I then set it to 500kb and it crashed.

Set it to 200kb and it crashed.

Eased it to 150kb and so far, so good. I've never seen anything like this.

Edit: Scratch all that - endless crashing again. :sigh:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 24, 2015

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Breakbars on bosses in dungeons is vaguely interesting, some things are no longer really possible like immobilizing the Arah P1 Shoggoth or tugging the Ooze to kill it, on the other hand you can get a deep freeze length stun basically whenever as long as your group can coordinate spamming control effects. (It might be possible to even stun the ooze before he phases and burst him dead?) Also any champions you might have wanted to chill down their cooldowns, that's off the table.

Managed to get a stun on Mai Trin at one point which was a miracle because the scale 50 fractal mistlock is 'enemies get random boons when you crit' so she pretty much constantly had Protection, Regeneration, and like 20 stability stacks.

Maybe in a year or two the economy will have somehow deflated to the point that 30 silver per dungeon path feels like it's worth the time.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

Eltoasto posted:

What build are you using? Plan to start mine later today.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQNApXinvNeNS6JvJRVlHlsrykSYW5SJYssrkFPFhtb4ytDCcItymQA-TxyAABW8EAwQJo1KTe+EA6DAwEkzmQUa/hpV/JMlGCcIAeSJEA-e

I'm pretty sure it's this but I'm not in front of my computer so I can't double check. Alternatively you can use jalis for swiftness, the first utility skill ghost road plus mace 3 blast is a quick swiftness. I use Shiro so I can target something waaaaaaaay far away and spam the second utility skill to teleport to it and zoop around the map that way. #misthacks

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Haven't played in a while so sorry if this is a dumb question but am I only supposed to be able to get 1/3rd of the way through reaper training when I've already done every single hero challenge in the game? How do you get more hero points?

E: Never mind, just found this:

quote:

New Hero Challenges in Magus Falls

Forty new hero challenges have been added as part of Heart of Thorns.
Each challenge rewards 10 hero points but is also much more difficult than Central Tyrian challenges.
The 15 new event-based hero challenges will also provide a daily reward for replaying them.
Additionally, all event-based hero challenges can be retriggered, even if they have already been completed.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 24, 2015

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Trujillo posted:

Haven't played in a while so sorry if this is a dumb question but am I only supposed to be able to get 1/3rd of the way through reaper training when I've already done every single hero challenge in the game? How do you get more hero points?

Yes that's intended; you have to go get the hero challenges in the xpac zones.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
BIG GODDAMN STORY SPOILERS BELOW :siren:

REALLY? YOU KILL THE ONE DE MEMBER THAT ACTUALLY DOES STUFF AND TRIES TO GET poo poo DONE? Poor Eir.

I swear to god if Zoija isn't gutted by the end of this I'm gonna be pissed.

Oh and gliding should have been unlocked from the start, this isn't loving Metroid, juet let me explore dammit. :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MooCowlian posted:

Absolutely. If it weren't for the grind this expansion gets good to high marks on nearly every level. It really is just the grind, which I personally wouldn't mind if Masteries was only about exploring the new zones but it gates so much.

Masteries gate:

* Elite Specializations via hero points

* Story Missions

* Exploring the new zone (I'm ok with this one)

* Finding and starting the raid (this one too)

* Finding and claiming the Guild Hall (this one as well)

And it gates them behind:

* Grinding unfun group mobs with huge HP bars and high burst damage in zones where people are generally spread out.

-------------

Now I get what they're going for-- the expansion isn't stuff you can poopsock in a weekend and really have to co-ordinate with guildmates to get the most out of, but it needs serious tweaking because co-ordinating with more casual players is a nightmare and anyone who has already unlocked everything isn't likely eager to go back.

Good stuff HoT does right

* Elite Specializations are fun

* If you have Masteries/Elites unlocked and sufficient group size the mobs are actually pretty fun.

* The stuff you unlock so far with Masteries like gliding are actually pretty fun and give the endgame a huge boost of content

* Revenant is really fun

* The new environments are great

* The story missions are improved in quality

* New crafting discipline. That's nice.

* Lots of minor improvements to the UI and vanilla content too numerous to list, like "consume all" on stacks of luck being an option now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why you're hearing complaints from the thread. Anet has a long history where some stuff only gets fixed seemingly incidentally while other stuff (build lockers) will sit around for literally years unaddressed if at all. People are justifiably worried that some of these problems will never get fixed and sour them on large chunks of the $50 content they paid for.

It's also worth noting these problems regarding Masteries weren't noticeable in the beta where there was very limited map size (one dropped you right at the raid entrance) and all Elites were unlocked from character creation

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 24, 2015

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Alteisen posted:

BIG GODDAMN STORY SPOILERS BELOW :siren:

REALLY? YOU KILL THE ONE DE MEMBER THAT ACTUALLY DOES STUFF AND TRIES TO GET poo poo DONE? Poor Eir.

I swear to god if Zoija isn't gutted by the end of this I'm gonna be pissed.

Oh and gliding should have been unlocked from the start, this isn't loving Metroid, juet let me explore dammit. :colbert:

Zojja is married to the player character in the last story mission. Unskippable cutscene, required completion to finish all the HoT masteries.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:siren: ATTN: GOONS: GOON SQUAD IS NOW FULL. :siren:

Any members ticking over to 31+ days inactive will immediately be removed to make room for waitlisted goons.
Invitations will be sent out as soon as they are available, in the order in which applications were received.

If you are in Goon Squad and do not rep us I urge you to give your spot to new or returning goons that wish to be part of the guild's community.

Thank you!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is Torn From The Sky bugged?
I went to got get salvage but there is nothing at the site.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Is Torn From The Sky bugged?
I went to got get salvage but there is nothing at the site.

Should be indicators showing it's south of the camp site, unless you mean you went to the marker and nothing happened. Also you let Laranthir down, you monster

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

That's why you're hearing complaints from the thread. Anet has a long history where some stuff only gets fixed seemingly incidentally while other stuff (build lockers) will sit around for literally years unaddressed if at all. People are justifiably worried that some of these problems will never get fixed and sour them on large chunks of the $50 content they paid for.

This is a really good point, I'm not magically going to have a fuckload of free time to grind out the elites, so it's a pretty big deal to me that it may take an extremely long time (if ever) to actually play the content I've paid for. I get how this isn't a big deal to some who have way more spare time but this expansion has a lot of middle fingers to casual players who have been playing a casual game for 3 years now.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Looking for raid. Must be fully specd elite. Please link masteries.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

occluded posted:

I can see why people are having problems enjoying the new zones without having their full elite spec unlocked but I for one enjoying the feeling of slowly growing in power and getting new skills to play with.

It helps that the Mesmer shield is really really good in the new zones as having a huge block duration and stun / reflect wall is pretty handy.

(I can't figure out how to love daredevil staff though. So sad...)

Yeah the problem is the way some classes are gated/their elite spec was designed. Some work well enough as a partial toolkit you're unlocking that gets more powerful, or builds off of other talents and builds, others like Scrapper are like "Ok cool, I've got talents and abilities that revolve around being ranged and replacing my weapon with kits, and 50 points gets me the ability to equip a melee weapon :toot:" Really all the gyro stuff should've come first. Instead of "Melee weapon, gyros, the ability to survive in melee"

Whatever I'm just doing some old world stuff now and finishing up personal story since I don't know who all these characters introduced in living world were or why I should care.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

That's why you're hearing complaints from the thread. Anet has a long history where some stuff only gets fixed seemingly incidentally while other stuff (build lockers) will sit around for literally years unaddressed if at all. People are justifiably worried that some of these problems will never get fixed and sour them on large chunks of the $50 content they paid for

Yeah, and the related tradition of implementing a small part of something and then never finishing any of the rest of it, which is why doing only small things to fractals, new legendaries, etc, and then saying 'don't worry guys we'll get the rest of it in soon' is uh, well, fool me once.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Could anyone link me a fun PVE Chronomancer build to try out? I'm a little intimidated to forge out completely on my own. What's been fun for everyone?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Illuyankas posted:

Should be indicators showing it's south of the camp site, unless you mean you went to the marker and nothing happened. Also you let Laranthir down, you monster
Yes.
I had to restart a few times but it finally worked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spookyelectric posted:

Could anyone link me a fun PVE Chronomancer build to try out? I'm a little intimidated to forge out completely on my own. What's been fun for everyone?

Unless you're poopsocking like whoa there is no way you'll have more than a few traits/utilities unlocked on it, so just use whatever you can unlock and have a ball.

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is a really good point, I'm not magically going to have a fuckload of free time to grind out the elites, so it's a pretty big deal to me that it may take an extremely long time (if ever) to actually play the content I've paid for. I get how this isn't a big deal to some who have way more spare time but this expansion has a lot of middle fingers to casual players who have been playing a casual game for 3 years now.

I can even respect the design philosophy-- "well a ton of players were complaining for years about having nothing to do at level 80 and we don't know when we'll get another huge influx of content out. I know! Make all the content hard and slow so the players really get their money's worth over the year or two where the expansion is our forefront!"--but all it's doing in practice is punishing the base crowd GW2 attracted and designed for in the first place. It's definitely possible to fix-- mostly just fix the gates around Elites and Story content, and tune the mobs a bit so they don't practically require 5-man parties to grind effectively--but as of this writing it's really frustrating.

SlothBear posted:

Yeah, and the related tradition of implementing a small part of something and then never finishing any of the rest of it, which is why doing only small things to fractals, new legendaries, etc, and then saying 'don't worry guys we'll get the rest of it in soon' is uh, well, fool me once.

Bingo. Anet has shown willingness to fix their mistakes, but it''s almost like "darts on a board" in terms of figuring out what they're going to fix and when unless the outcry is truly universal.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 24, 2015

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There was just a 125MB patch, is there a changelog somewhere detailing these?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-October-23-2015/5650168

Also I just found the best change in the game :allears:

quote:

Courtyard is no longer in unranked (or ranked) queue. Your options are “Conquest” or “Stronghold”.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Personally I'm fine with Masteries should be the only thing gated content wise and have no complains regarding the time it needs to unlock them especially since they are account wide. But imo it's a mistake to gate the Elite Specializations, especially for people like me who enjoy many alts. I had a blast with them during beta and it really renewed my interests in GW2 again so gating the main reason for most people buying the expac is kind of harsh. Maybe give us the first 3 traits to play around with and also smooth the way to the new harder maps? And no I don't expect them to be all immediately available but it's going to be a while before the average casual player can play with their elite specs. Which is a shame because again, the elite specs really are fun and adds a lot to the game.

I'm just bummed out because GW2 has always been close to prefect for a casual player like myself. Gating the Masteries/story should have been enough for an 'endgame'. Doing it to Elite specs too feels tedious and like their philosophy has turned for the grindy worst.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

New build available: Connection Errors Detected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

SlothBear posted:

Where is my deathmatch only solo queue.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

deathmatch removed lol

gently caress you Anet. :saddowns:

• Locked thread